Injuries

A tough pre-season in the injury front and we will not start the season with a full compliment of players.

Jose MunozView attachment 191636
Throw in getting match fit Jose Munoz will miss a year of action which is disappointing as he had a good half season with us and was justifying his fee.

Alejandro ChumaceroView attachment 191635
Chumacero will miss the Bolivian Cup and may miss the start of the league. The silver lining is that it should mean that interest in him dies down.

Ronald RaldesView attachment 191634
Raldes will miss 3-4 months with a slipped disc and makes the loan signings more important as they will be pushed into action. He will miss most of the opening stage​

Another Signing

We were weak at CM with only the injured Chumacero above 2 stars so I wanted another CM.

Didi Torrico
View attachment 191633
Torrico was a free transfer and should be a quality addition to the side was a great player for Blooming last year very experienced playing for numerous teams across Bolivia

July Update

Finally getting back to football we have the season opener Bolivian Cup and want to set down a statement that we are still the team to beat.

As we won the league we got to enter one stage later at the quarter final

View attachment 191621
We get the worst draw possible as we face last years second place team Oriente Petrolero

Oriente Petrolero 2-1 The Strongest
View attachment 191615Last year we won the first game 6-1 this time the omens are worse as we lose 2-1. A Wayar own goal had us behind after half an hour a header from a corner hit the bar and trying to clear it off the line he knocked it in to the back of the net. Vecchio took a quick free kick after 32 minutes and Vaca guided the cross in at the back post a very nice finish. Oriente got a late 87th minute winner Vargas was played in on goal and Olivares made a good save Almiron fired in the rebound. A disappointing start to the year.

The Strongest 1-0 Oriente Petrolero
View attachment 191614
I thought that we had won on away goals but, I forgot that they don't count in this and it goes to penalties. Ballivan got the only goal of the game to force penalties scoring after 63 minutes Yguinho passed to him 17 yards out and Ballivan fired a shot into the top corner that was unsaveable.

That meant the lottery of penalties and Ramallo, Torrico and Yguinho all scored while Romero had his effort saved, Olivares was the hero though as he saved 3 penalties to get us into the semi finals.

View attachment 191612
Not an awful draw as we have Nacional Potosi. The final could be either an all Potosi final or a La Paz one.

Nacional Potosi 1-0 The Strongest
View attachment 191613A 90+2 minute penalty that Ramallo had saved could be vital in the tie. Mendoza had us behind after 42 minutes a nice curling 25 yard free kick nestled in the top corner to give us the loss. Ramallo spurning the late penalty to put us behind again after the first leg as we don't look as good this season.

The Strongest 2-1 Nacional Potosi
View attachment 191611Again it is penalties in the cup for us. Ramallo made up for his miss in the last game by scoring a penalty after 3 minutes. Jiminez levelled for Nacional after 10 minutes as he took down a free kick in the box and turned to fire in. With us staring at defeat Ramallo got a 91st minutes leveller. A nice passing move from Olivares taking a free kick saw us pass our way up the pitch and to Wayar out wide, he whipped in a great cross and from close range Ramallo this time getting a late goal heading in past the keeper.

Again we got 3 penalties in Yguinho, Chumacero and Veizaga all scored from the spot and Romero again had his penalty saved.

Olivares though again got us into the next round with some good penalty saving penalties from Torrico and Sanchez

In the lead up to the final we got an injury problem Rojas will be out for the month and Vaca will miss 2 weeks
View attachment 191610
We will face big rivals Bolivar in a cup final that both teams will be desperate to win
View attachment 191609
The Strongest 3-0 Bolivar
View attachment 191608
A good first leg win and we have one hand on the trophy as long as we don't throw the second leg away. Romero ended his goalless streak after 14 minutes Vecchio slipped him in and Romero fired low past the keeper. Wayar got us a two goal lead after 75 minutes Romero was found by Chumacero and he turned to slip in Wayar and he poked his effort in past the keeper a rare goal by the right back but, a vital one. Two minutes later we had a third goal Wayar hit in a first time cross and Vecchio got the ball first and poked it past the keeper. An impressive first leg performance.

Leg two and the start of the league next month​

August Update

It's a packed month as we have the Cup final, the start of the league and we face Copa Libertadores quarter finalist Cerro Porteno in the qualifying round of the Copa Sudamerica. It will be a good chance to see where we are in relation to sides who got out of the group in the Copa Libertadores.

Bolivar 1(1-3)0 The Strongest
View attachment 191203An unconvincing cup win as we lost half of the games and won two rounds on penalties, but we are the winner non the less. Rios scored for Bolivar after 2 minutes to make what could have been a very nervous game a tackle created a loose ball that played him in on goal and Rios turned and scored. Olivares made an incredible save with ten minutes left to ensure that we didn't have that nervous of a finish. It means I have won all of the domestic Bolivian trophies.

View attachment 191201

The Strongest 5-2 Petrolero de Yacuiba
View attachment 191191A good start to the league campaign as we smacked five in against Yacuiba. Ramallo got us ahead after 10 minutes a great passing move saw Ramallo play a 1-2 in the box and Ramallo then half-volleyed into the top corner. After 12 minutes Romero had us two goals ahead Chavez hit a low cross in and Romero poked sprinted past the defenders and poked in past the keeper. Romero had us 3 goals ahead after 15 minutes Chavez whipped in a cross and Romero was on hand to fire his header in to all but, give us the win after 15 minutes. After 22 minutes Burton pulled a goal back after 22 minutes the only one to react to a free kick and he poked it in at the back post. Ramallo got our 3 goal lead back after 40 minutes Romero squared to him when in on goal and as the keeper scrambled across the goal Ramallo fired it where the keeper was before he dived away. Our lead was dropped back to two goals after 57 minutes a great Castado shot crashed off the bar and the rebound was knocked in. A low Vecchio pass to Romero was intercepted by a sliding Burton but, he poked it past his keeper to give us a good opening day win.

Copa Sudamerica 1st Preliminary Round

Cerro Porteno 0-2 The Strongest
View attachment 191188
A good result as we beat the Copa Libertadores quarter finalists away. Romero got us ahead after 48 minutes, Vecchio won the ball in the box and passed to Romero who beat his man and then was tackled, the ball fell to Chumacero and he slipped Romero in and he fired low past the keeper and in. Romero got his second goal after 50 minutes on a quick counter Yguinho played in Romero and his attempted chip was blocked but, he fired in the rebound. A good first leg result especially as it was an away game.

The Strongest 1-4 Aurora
View attachment 191187I don't want to write about this it was a slightly rotated side and a very tired side was hammered by Aurora as we still look inconsistent and not as good as last season.

The Strongest 1(3-2)2 Cerro Porteno
View attachment 191186The first leg win was vital as we are able to get through to the next round. Vecchio got us three goals ahead on aggregate after 35 minutes a ball was played wide to Romero and he whipped a cross in that the keeper caught then dropped at the feet of Vecchio who fired the ball in. Cerro puled a goal back just before half time Dominguez close range shot taking a deflection and just beating Olivares. Dominguez grabbed a second goal after 83 minutes to set up a nervous finish Ortigoza with a nice run and laid off for Dominguez to fire in from close range.

View attachment 191185
We will face Barcelona of Ecuador in the second Preliminary Round, not a great or awful draw.

Oriente Petrolero 1-2 The Strongest
View attachment 191184Ramallo grabbed a big brace to help us get past Oriente. He opened the scoring after 8 minutes Chumacero found him with a nice pass and Ramallo beat two men and then fired high over the onrushing keeper and in. After 64 minutes Anez levelled with a penalty and Oriente's only shot on target. Again they were only level for 8 minutes as Ramallo got us back ahead Rojas crossing for a wide open Ramallo to slam into an open goal at the back post. A good win as we look to get back on track in the league.

The Strongest 2-1 Barcelona (ECU)
View attachment 191180A good win as Ramallo grabs his third brace of the season to give us a lead to take away to Guayaquil. Ramallo opened the scoring 21 minutes in, after Romero stole the ball in the box after a poor touch and had his shot blocked but, it fell to Ramallo who from 16 yards out smashed a powerful shot in at the near post. Barcelona were level after 28 minutes Chavez under hitting a simple back pass the keeper was beaten to it and Angulo squared to give Blanco a wide open goal 6 yards out and he took advantage scoring. Ramallo bagged the winner after 34 minutes Vecchio slipped him in and his shot was unsaveable as it slammed of the bar and across the line. A good win but, we did let in an away goal.

View attachment 191170
Ramallo picks up a small injury that will see him miss the Bolivar game

Bolivar 3-1 The Strongest
View attachment 191176
A really disappointing loss to our biggest rivals as we are still inconsistent in the league. Ferreira grabbing a hat trick to sink us. He scored his first after 18 minutes with a nice curling effort from outside of the box. Escobar should have equalised within a minute of kickoff but, hit the bar. He did score after 3 minutes though volleying in a Parada cross from 6 yards out. Ferreira was given a tap in by Capdevilla to put us behind after 54 minutes. He then confirmed our defeat and finished his hat trick after 70 minutes Rios squaring to him when in on goal.

TableView attachment 191174The lowest that I have ever been but, if we win our games in hand the worse position we can be in is third place.. Inconsistency and lots of games has stopped our usual great start to the season

Not a good start my friend but I have faith in you! You can turn this around! It is always difficult when you face so many injuries together.

Just caught up, fell a little behind :p

Congrats on the silverware!

Ouch! Munoz...that has to be the longest injury I've come across in this year's FM! Haha So unlucky. Then Chumacero gets injured again too blah. Going to be a tough season... I guess it adds to the challenge though ;)

Keep it up man, looking forward to more!

Not a good start my friend but I have faith in you! You can turn this around! It is always difficult when you face so many injuries together.

Thanks, injuries haven't helped but we just seem incredibly inconsistent we do have the ability to put together a long run of wins though so I'm not yet to worried.

Just caught up, fell a little behind :p

Congrats on the silverware!

Ouch! Munoz...that has to be the longest injury I've come across in this year's FM! Haha So unlucky. Then Chumacero gets injured again too blah. Going to be a tough season... I guess it adds to the challenge though ;)

Keep it up man, looking forward to more!

Thanks, the injuries are annoying but, with the loan players and Chumacero we probably have at least 6 of the ten best players in the league so we should still do well in the league

Donaghy Resigns from The Strongest
View attachment 190796
After an awful September had followed a poor August The Strongest manager Jamie Donaghy announced his resignation from the club as he felt that he couldn't get the team to operate well and felt that the team needed a new manager. A poor September saw them fail to win the only positive was a 2-1 loss to Barcelona (ECU) that saw them on penalties for a third time in a row. Even in the Bolivian Cup Donaghy's side failed to impress as they lost 1 leg in each round.

The constant fixtures, an ageing squad and injuries saw Donaghy struggle to get The Strongest to replicate the form of last season. The results of his final month were a 0-0 draw with Nacional Potosi, a 2-1 loss to Barcelona that saw his side prevail on penalties, a 2-1 loss to Jorge Wilstermann, a 2-1 loss in the Copa Sudamerica to Estudiantes and his final game a 1-1 draw with last place Universitario de Sucre. The draw combined with a broken ankle for one of the only bright sparks of the campaign Ramallo saw Donaghy decide he had done all he could with the squad and he resigned as a result.

Donaghy who leaves The Strongest in 9th place after two Championships had said that he wanted to stay in management but, the only club in Bolivia he would manage is The Strongest due to his affection for the club. Despite a poor league campaign he is thought to be held in high regard by many owners and it is felt that he could get a job in the future.

Donaghy also confirmed that relations between him the board and players was good and the club said they were saddened that he had resigned but, would act quickly to find a replacement.

A quote from Donaghy " The decision to resign was a hard one but, I feel that it is best for the club and they can press on under a new manager. I hope to return to the club at some point and turn them into a great power but, until then I will hopefully continue to improve myself and find new employment. I couldn't have asked for better players, staff and owners."

I was hoping you would stay and keep fighting till the end but sometimes the team needs a big shock in order to recover, and most of the times this means a new coach. I am very curious to see your new destination !

The time had come to leave La Paz and I did so with a heavy heart I had greatly enjoyed my time there and would miss the city and the team I was with.View attachment 190791
After a bit longer than I would have liked unemployed I finally had a job and it was a big step up in the world and I was determined to take that chance with both hands. While the rivalries in La Paz had been intense I knew that this would take things to a new level all together more pressure, money and demanding fans. I would learn the meaning of hostile atmosphere at my new job and there were nerves about it but, the offer blew away the other offers and the board and I agreed on how to run a football team which is always a bonus.

View attachment 190787
While I was moving to a beautiful new city I would have to be careful of where I went in it as the second I signed the contract to become manager I would have a large number of new enemies. I was starting in a better way than my last job as I at least spoke the language. With such a great and historic club I want to leave a legacy and if I fail to win the League and the Copa Libertadores then it will be a massive disappointment to me and the board who took a big risk in appointing me as the manager. It hadn't been a great last year and the sacking of the manager was no surprise. This meant that I had a long way to improve the club as just because last season had been poor didn't mean that the high expectations had been lowered. There were also a couple of games that I HAD to win and every manager and player wants to win.​

After slightly longer than I would have liked unemployed I was suddenly a man in demand. I had rejected offers from second division teams and was beginning to feel that was a bad idea when I suddenly became the man in demand.

I had two offers in Argentina and two in Brazil so I rejected the worse team of the two in each nation. San Lorenzo and Palmeiras which left me with a big choice to make.

View attachment 190671
2013 and 2014 league winner and last years Copa Libertadores runner up Cruzeiro or

View attachment 190668
River, I decided to sign with the Argentinian powerhouse and 3 time Copa Libertadores winner, the last time in 2015. With a two year deal I feel that I should be able to turn the team into a domestic and continental champions. It also means that I am in charge of The Strongest parent team so I can ensure that they continue to get good players and improve.

View attachment 190666
Unfortunately River had sold off the two star centre backs for just over 6.1 million. Along with a couple of other sales so I will have to see who I can bring in to replace them.​

Best of luck ! I believe you won't have any problem finding players since River always produce amazing regens! The problem is to keep them when an offer from Europe comes along ...

Nice ones mate! Here's hoping you can turn River into even more of a powerhouse!

Best of luck ! I believe you won't have any problem finding players since River always produce amazing regens! The problem is to keep them when an offer from Europe comes along ...

Thanks, mainly moving for experienced players and only very cheap youngsters as I feel they can be produced. I'll give them all very long contracts with lots of extensions by club to force them to stay MWAHAHA

Nice ones mate! Here's hoping you can turn River into even more of a powerhouse!

Thanks, goal is to hold all of the continental titles again for the club and the league this time.

River Squad Overview

The squad is a good mix of experienced players and youngsters coming through. The squad is good but, could be accused of selling starters with inadequate replacements at CB.

Squad Depth
View attachment 190311
Will probably go for a 4-2-3-1 as the players seem to suit it. I will look for a CB and LB to add depth as we seem to only have two good CB's and one LB. A lot of the squad also has room to improve. I will look to mainly ensure experienced backup's exist and definitely give youth a chance to flourish.

Reserve Squad View attachment 190309
We have a good number of youth players who I will look to move into the first team in the next season or so and will hopefully make a big impact.

3 Best Prospects
View attachment 190308As much as I hate the sales of Mammana and Balanta the signing of Beto is a great one and he could go on to make a big impact up front in the coming years.

Mauricio Vera
View attachment 190304
The 18 year old can play up front or as an AMC or AML. He has bags of potential and can hopefully develop well. I may give him some chances this year if he does well in the reserves for the first couple months.

Andreas Jiminez
View attachment 190302
Hopefully the next Balanta he has been here for 6 years and will possibly get some game time this year but, only with another experienced CB.

Under 20'sView attachment 190301
Contains a decent number of players who could ply their trade at the club the two best prospects are

Raul Sanchis
View attachment 190300
Great potential and the striker could go on to form a legendary strike partnership for the club with

Enzo Garro
View attachment 190299
Another striker with great potential Garro and Jiminez should strike fear into the heart of defenders in the next few years. They may both see some time off of the bench this year to help them develop.

First Team Key Players

Gabriel Mercado

View attachment 190298Rejected some bids from Roma and he is happy to stay at River so will hopefully do well defensively and get some assists going forwards.

Jonathan Maidana
View attachment 190297
A very experienced centre back with two caps will be key as I plan on selling the starting GK in favour of a youngster. Can also help mentor young CB's.

Sebastian DrussiView attachment 190296
The attacking midfielder should chip in with good numbers of goals and assists he may be one who decides to move to Europe soon though and there has been interest but, no bids.

ScheduleView attachment 190295
My first game will be away to Boca nice to have a low pressure start at a club. Anyway it is a chance to get off to a great or awful start.​

Transfers

Outgoings
View attachment 190287

Only one player left permanently as ex-starter now back up GK Barovero left for Levante for 1.2 million in a deal that could come back to bite me if Batalla doesn't do well. I might have kept him as an experienced back up but, I feel a back up keeper shouldn't earn 7 times more than the starter does.

Incomings

I got some Argentinian players on free transfers who will return home after their contracts expire. But, now for those who do arrive.

Mauro Arambarri
View attachment 190284
The Uruguayan makes a short move to Buenos Aires. He is a good defensive minded midfielder who cost 450k form Defensor Sporting.

Nicolas De La Cruz
View attachment 190283
Signed from Uruguayan side Liverpool Cruz has potential to be a decent AMC will rotate between the reserves and first team.

Fede Cartabia
View attachment 190281
Signed on loan from Valencia he has the ability to start at all 3 AM positions. We will pay half of his wages while he is here.

Leonel VangioniView attachment 190279
Signed on loan from Porto to offer depth at LB he may rotate a bit and we will cover half his wages. He has had two alright year at Porto after leaving on a free.

Renzo RodriguezView attachment 190278
A keeper with high potential from Penarol for only 160k. He has good potential and should go on to start at some point here.

Federico Fazio
View attachment 190276
We couldn't quite get the finances right to make his move permanent so he will just join on loan. We cover 70% of his wages but, get that key depth at CB.

Overview
View attachment 190275

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh!

What was that you ask violence from an opposing fan? No. I had learned that 3 hours after I sold my old starting GK and Batallo had broken a finger and miss 5-6 weeks.

View attachment 190273
After a brief bit of panic over lacking a GK for the game against Boca I was relieved to find that we had a good GK out on loan I could recall.

View attachment 190272
Unfortunately as the eagle eyed will have noticed he is on international duty and will happily return two days after the Boca game despite scrambling to sign a GK I couldn't get any over the line in time so one of these two goalies will start.

View attachment 190270
Nahuel Cajal is a bit older than his rival and that may be enough to get him the start

View attachment 190268
Tomas Sotelo is the other option slightly younger but, has played more for the reserves.

It is a massive decision as neither has played a professional game for any club so the first professional game will be away to Boca.

View attachment 190266
A very calm atmosphere to make a start to your career facing among others Carlos Tevez​

Youth Intake

Not long after joining we have a first youth intake

View attachment 190244
Quite a good youth intake as we get a decent few players who could have a role to play at the squad

German MedinaView attachment 190241
We get a good centre back from the youth intake and he should develop well into a quality player

Sebastian Vicente
View attachment 190239
Potential to be a good winger and also has great potential. Good determined player who should get a shot at the first team.

Juan Ignacio Armoa
View attachment 190235
A right back so if there are a couple of injuries then he could get a shot in the first team due to a lack of depth there.​