Cook Islands - Up With The Best

bigvic67

Reaction score
I was just back from my first tour of Afghanistan. I had seem some horrifying things. Blood, Sweat and tears. My name is Peter Hewitt, I'm from Forfar, Scotland. A small little fishing village in the north with nothing more than a post office and a butchers. I had a very tough upbringing, my father dying in the Falklands, as well as my mother, although she was a medic. It was in my families DNA to be in the army, it was our way of life. My grandfather, one of the hero's who rescued jews from Auschwitz, brought me up on his own in suburban mid-lothian. But i was bullied a lot as a kid, and demanded a move to a place where my existence would be unknown. We moved up here when i was 14, and my grandfather taught me how to be the best soldier in the mountains. "Shoving education up my shiter" as he would say. I had a very strict training regime, getting up 6am. a 7 mile jog, then an hour run up the mount, a thousand push ups. I became a master in the trade. I only ever had one more passion as a young kid, like many in Scotland. football. I played alot, i was actually pretty decent. I was in the ranks at Hibernian before i moved away. I still watched on TV and attended some of Forfar's games. But they where bollocks. I was a huge fan of Henrik Larsson during his days at Celtic FC. He was phenomenal.

Well, thats eno
ugh about me, back to the start of the story ..I was just back from Afghanistan, and i had seen some horrifying things. Blood, sweat and tears. I came home to my girlfriend in a deep depression. My best friend Titch was shot dead right in front of my own eyes from then on i wasn't the same. It was the worst experience of my life. He died in my arms. When i come home I wouldn't eat. I would have awful dreams reminiscing that days disturbing and brutal events. My girlfriend was worried, we hadn't had *** since i had returned, i wouldn't go near her. She works at Thomas Cook in Aberdeen, she came home one day with an envelope in her hand, she handed it too me. "Solomon Islands - 13/1/11 - 27/1/11 - 5 start luxury hotel - all inclusive" what is this? i asked. Peter, you need a break, big time. You haven't been the same since you've came back. I haven't seen the real you for a while. I need you back. (i stopped listening, those words hit me like a freight train. Sadness started to overwhelm me) i clicked back on I'll go pack our bags. The next morning, we got on a train from Aberdeen to Birmingham. Solomon Islands is a very exotic place and isn't the easiest place to access. A lot of travelling involved. I learned all this on the train down. My girlfriend is very talkitive (unfortunately) We got on the plane and took off on a 13 hour flight.

View attachment 223709

"this is where the real story begins"

Last edited:
I was just back from my first tour of Afghanistan. I had seem some horrifying things. Blood, Sweat and tears. My name is Peter Hewitt, I'm from Forfar, Scotland. A small little fishing village in the north with nothing more than a post office and a butchers. I had a very tough upbringing, my father dying in the Falklands, as well as my mother, although she was a medic. It was in my families DNA to be in the army, it was our way of life. My grandfather, one of the hero's who rescued jews from Auschwitz, brought me up on his own in suburban mid-lothian. But i was bullied a lot as a kid, and demanded a move to a place where my existence would be unknown. We moved up here when i was 14, and my grandfather taught me how to be the best soldier in the mountains. "Shoving education up my shiter" as he would say. I had a very strict training regime, getting up 6am. a 7 mile jog, then an hour run up the mount, a thousand push ups. I became a master in the trade. I only ever had one more passion as a young kid, like many in Scotland. football. I played alot, i was actually pretty decent. I was in the ranks at Hibernian before i moved away. I still watched on TV and attended some of Forfar's games. But they where bollocks. I was a huge fan of Henrik Larsson during his days at Celtic FC. He was phenomenal.

Well, thats eno
ugh about me, back to the start of the story ..I was just back from Afghanistan, and i had seen some horrifying things. Blood, sweat and tears. I came home to my girlfriend in a deep depression. My best friend Titch was shot dead right in front of my own eyes from then on i wasn't the same. It was the worst experience of my life. He died in my arms. When i come home I wouldn't eat. I would have awful dreams reminiscing that days disturbing and brutal events. My girlfriend was worried, we hadn't had *** since i had returned, i wouldn't go near her. She works at Thomas Cook in Aberdeen, she came home one day with an envelope in her hand, she handed it too me. "Solomon Islands - 13/1/11 - 27/1/11 - 5 start luxury hotel - all inclusive" what is this? i asked. Peter, you need a break, big time. You haven't been the same since you've came back. I haven't seen the real you for a while. I need you back. (i stopped listening, those words hit me like a freight train. Sadness started to overwhelm me) i clicked back on I'll go pack our bags. The next morning, we got on a train from Aberdeen to Birmingham. Solomon Islands is a very exotic place and isn't the easiest place to access. A lot of travelling involved. I learned all this on the train down. My girlfriend is very talkitive (unfortunately) We got on the plane and took off on a 13 hour flight.

View attachment 223709

"this is where the real story begins"

1st thing- Good OP it made me interested ;)
2st thing- Are you really that brave to do this :O I really hope that you keep it up

We landed at Tulagi Airport in the center of Cook Islands, it was hardly an airport, it was a dirt road next to a field and a man at a lemonade stand. It was boiling, a lot hotter than Afghanistan, which was rather surprising. We where picked up by some old man in a rusty white transit van, it was horrible inside, all it was missing was a pissy mattress. The closer to the coast we got the more picturesque the view became. It was paradise. Absolutely stunning. For the first time in months i actually felt good about myself. The golden sands and clear blue waters filled me with so much joy, I HAD A SMILE ON MY FACE. We reached the resort after an hour so in the transit van, we tipped the old man and headed to the reception. The interior was absolutely fabulous, it was so clean. We were greeted with some complimentary margaritas. There was a surprise in store. Due to her contacts Sarah (My girlfriend) managed to claim the presidential suite. The view from our veranda (balcony) was amazing. You could see the Solomon Islands and if you had binoculars, Australia was in sight too. We spent a few days just relaxing. Getting the full use of our private beach and free booze. Our relationship was now once again at its best. We seemed to be in love. We went on an excursion to go swim with dolphins. This time the car wasn't so bad. On the journey their, I spotted a football match which was taking place. Then i seen a sign saying "National Stadium" it was appauling, and so was the football from what i seen. The stadium had a tiny stand behind one goal and the grass was knee high. I was keen too look more into this after the excursion

View attachment 223714

COOK ISLANDS NATIONAL STADIUM​

1st thing- Good OP it made me interested ;)
2st thing- Are you really that brave to do this :O I really hope that you keep it up

​Thanks mate, yes but ​their ***** lol

View attachment 223721

We had an amazing time at the exc
ursion, swimming with the dolphins is an experience i'll never forget, it was amazing. Their very beautiful creatures, Sarah fell in love with them (more than me) Like i says before, i was going to go back to this "National Stadium" and see what it was all about, how on earth could football be played on such a shocking surface. I thought Forfar's pitch was bad. So I ret
urned to my hotel and got a shower.

View attachment 223720

Then a
chauffeur took me over to the stadium. There was another match ongoing. Cook Islands 19's v Guam 19's, i was the only person in the stands. The Cook Islands team had some very talented young players. But I soon found out that their talents weren't being fulfilled, as the only qualified coach on the island was a locksmith. The match finished Cook Islands 19's 5 - Guam 19's 7. After the match I went over to the coach. But the conversation lasted about a second. As he was an ignorant *******. The young Cook Islander players looked very down and upset. I tried to speak to them, but only one was fluent in English. From what he told me, their manager coached the national teams at every level. But was clueless, stating his dead grandmother could do a better job. I was then invited to go and play some football down at the beach with the lads. They were actually better than i thought. Then some of the senior players joined. They where ****. But they where amazing people and where very open about what they wanted in the future. Everyone's answer "Professional Footballer. They where really inspiring, i wish i couldv'e helped them fulfill their dreams, with a manager like they had no chance making it in the game.

Later that night, i tho
ught about my own future whilst taking a dump. I had only been here 10 days, yet i had fallen in love with the place. The people, the houses, the beaches. This was my pass to happiness. I discussed it with Sarah that night. She had also fallen in love with this place, This was it. This was my future. The Cook Islands had opened up so many opportunities for us both, we had already made up our minds, we where going to live here. On the final day, I went back to the "national stadium" to see if there was any football matches on. I was in luck. Cook Islands Vs Guatemala read the bilboard, this time there were around 50 people. Probably the record attendance. A man who looked like an Al Pacino wannabe sat net to me despite their being 4550 other empty seats. He Spoke after about 5 minutes.

"Hello there, are yo
u the Englander who play with the kids at football a few days back"

"Yes thats me, how can i help yo
u ?"

"well the kids loved yo
u, they think the world of you. Are you a qualified coach Mr ..."

"Hewitt, Peter Hewitt"

"Cla
ude Vivala, pleasure to meet you"

"and yo
u sir, oh and no i am not, but i know a fair bit about the game though"

"well that is a shame, yo
u must be qualified despite us being very poor indeed, mr vandy over there is a rather shocking football coach, he has no clue what so ever"

"Me and the misses are planning on moving here very soon, if i get my badges. Wo
uld I be the new coach of The Cook Islands?"

"Yes that wo
uld be great, we are a small country, with below basic facilities and a poor team, could you handle it?"

"sir, it wo
uld be an honour."
View attachment 223719

"the whistle blew and the match finished cook islands 0 - 13 G
uatemala. "What have i done i thought to myself, this team where pish. Thats the only way to describe them. I went home and told the misses, she was delighted for me, she had also agreed to become manager at the hotel we were living in. For her services we were given the presidential suite until her resignation."

Very interesting team; personal updates suit this story well because of the backdrop. Hopefully you can get some results in too - good luck!

Great start to the story. Really enjoying it. Good luck with the Cook Islands (you're going to need it...)

The following day, i returned to Forfar. All i could think about on the flight was getting my coaching badges so i could return to the Cook islands and take over from that locksmith. After a while of searching the internet. I found one that caught the eye. Largs Training Courses - All badges in one session, for you to make a difference. I immediately printed off an application form, filled it out and sent it away. My relationship with Sarah was better than ever now. That holiday done us the world of good, but now we are moving there I think it's time for the next big step. We are going to our favourite Indian restaraunt tonight. And i am going to propose I am really nervous, but it feels so right ...

View attachment 223794

This was the place where i proposed. She said yes. We decided later that night the the wedding sho
uld be in the cook islands. Oh well, back to football. I went down to Largs last week, to complete my coaching badges. I was training some professional players, which was an honour. The likes of Paul Hartley and Barry Nicholson where there, i caught up with them after the 3 hour session and I told them why i was taking the courses. They thought i was insane, then they admitted that the liked the drills i had set up for them, saying it was different and very enjoyable. Three weeks later i was just back from a jog, and the postman was at my door. It was a rare occasion. I went inside, and opened it, enclosed was a certificate notifying i had passed my coaching badges and was now qualified to be manager of the Cook Islands ...

I rummaged through my suitcase as i still hadn't unpacked. I looked in the pockets of my shorts and found a small business card. I had remembered the man at the stadium giving me it previously. Well i rung him up...

View attachment 223796

"hello Claude, its Peter Hewitt, i met yo
u at the stadi
um a while back"

"Ahh Peter, how are yo
u doing?"

"I'm good, look i got my coaching badges. And i'm d
ue to be back over soon. Can i come and see you?"

"Well i'm in Leeds right now, i've j
ust been appointed Head of the FA, so you are my first choice"

"Oh congrat
ulations, will i come to London to see you?"

"Yes, that wo
uld be great. Hilton Hotel, Leeds, tomorrow. 7pm. Meet me for dinner"

"Ok, i'll see yo
u then"

Just then Sarah arrived from work. I told her the great news. She was delighted for me, We then arranged to meet each other at Birmingham airport then fly over to the Cook's for good I was really excited, about this. I already had one hand on the job. I just needed to go to Leeds and finalise the deal. I got the first train down...

View attachment 223802

So i kept my word, and met cla
ude in Leeds, which was a shithole. I started to get very nervous in the taxi from the station to the hotel. Claude himself had invited himself to pay for my hotel and dinner, which was a very kind gesture. I went to sleep for a couple of hours before the meeting. And woke up at 6:58pm. Wasn't making the best second impression. I quickly shoved on my suit and went up to the top floor where the restaraunt was. there he was. That same white suit. "Al pacino wannabe" well we ordered grub and got talking ...

"So Peter, lets strike a deal, how much are you looking for?"

"Well first of all congrat
ulations on getting promoted as Head of FA. And i will do it for free, football is my li...."

"Free!? are yo
u sure. I'm sure we could work our a lucrative deal."

"no sir, i won't accept money. This meal can be my wage"

"hahaha, if it m
ust. So we are on the same flight from Birmingham home, i have upgraded us to first class. And the deal will be finalised when we get home tomorrow night. I'll see yo
u in the morning, good night"

View attachment 223804

"The meal was amazing, but he seemed really angry when i said i wo
uld do it for free, i thought i was doing him a favour. Well at least I got a free meal out of it. We got up the next morning and flew back to our new home. I instantly remembered the airport (field) and the man at the lemonade stand. I was home. This time i was greeted by a white limo, instead of a rusty old transit van which smelled of pish. I was being taken to the FA HQ. Now, this is where the REAL story begins.

View attachment 223805

The deal was finalised after an
hour of talking to the president of the island. He was a really inspiring character...

Really good read mate you got a follower! would love to see profile's of the key players in your squad

the facilities i have to work on my team
View attachment 223849

So, i am the new manager of the Cook Islands. It's an hono
ur. My first training session with the lads was excellent. I have already found out alot about how the players play and which style suits them best. Our facilities are very basic. Our goals where made out of bamboo and the pitch was flooded after recent hurricane. The place was a wreck. After our session i took the lads back to my hotel for a meeting, just to let them hear my background and tell them how i like football to be played. I was very impressed with how mature the lads where, the average age was only 22. Sarah has arrived in the island, i missed her alot. The hurricane which occured just hours before my arrival has made a devestating affect on all aspects of life for the natives. My first press conference is tomorrow which i'm looking forward too, i'll be on Sky Sports News.

View attachment 223857

INEXPERIENCED BRIT TAKES OVER AT COOKS ISLAND

View attachment 223918

Yesterday, Rookie Scotsman Peter Hewitt, agreed to take over the Cook Islands national football team, FOR FREE. He met FA officials two days ago to strike out a deal in Leeds. Hewitt, 26. Has no managerial experience whatsoever and revealed he is taking over from a locksmith, who was the only qualified coach in the country, he had been holidaying there after coming back from a tour of Afghanistan. And fell in love with the place. He held his first press conference as manager this morning, here's how it went ..

View attachment 223938

Andy Thomson :Journalist
Hello Peter, congratulations on being appointed as manager here. How does it feel ?

Hewitt :
Hello, it feels great, i'm relishing the challenge.

Peter Tully : Journalist
Why did you agree to take on this challenge in the first place ?

Hewitt :
Well i played football down at the beach with some of the lads and they where saying how much they hate playing under their manager. Plus i fell in love with this place, and i'm hungry for success

James Van Damme : Journalist
How are you going to cope with such awful facilities when playing matches and training ?

Hewitt :
That's a tough one James. I don't know, the facilities are really really poor. But i'll manage somehow, i thrive under pressure.

press officer intervened :- That will be all for today.

Well my first press conference went pretty well in my opinion, i handled the pressure well and answered from the heart. I don't see the lads for another 3 months where we play Papua New Guinea. Guess i'll just go and watch some players in action for their clubs.

Despite not having the best of teams, we do have 2 fantastic talents who could make it playing in European football. They will be vital in my attempts to win matches and trophies. These two players are the future of the Cook Islands football.

Tikalla, 24 years old, free agent. Xamax interested
View attachment 223991
"Tikalla is a very talented player, he is extremely athletic and is very strong, he is great in the air and has a great finish on him, could see him scoring alot for us"

John Pareanga, 30, Tupapa

View attachment 223994
"This guy is a rock, he is great in the air and if he were younger, he'd be a rising star. He will be the in the heart of the defence and i hope he has an influence on the younger generation of players"