Cook Islands - Up With The Best

I had 3 months to prepare for my first game in charge, i spent most of it attending the players matches and seeing how they played, and decided their fates on each of their performances. Some where just very poor players. I invited the following players to play for their country against Papua New Guinea

View attachment 224026

GK : Teariki Anatonia - Mark Sarginson -Tyson Teke

DF: James Kervin - tioka nikoro - logesh chandra - Arve Hinderson - Hank Spijkerman - Ngat
uaine Mani - John Pareanga (c) - Porter Pokura - Brett Gibson

MF: Albert Orti - Ben Maakim - Clive nicholas - Michael varney - Tikalla -Tuka Tisam - Steve Cuthers - Teariki Piri

ST: J
unior Poruko - Paul Luiz Van Eijk

A few players i would have chosen have
injured themselves before they can be chosen which was very disappointing, but i believe we have a strong
enough squad too see of New Guinea

THE START OF A NEW ERA BEGINS ..

Last edited:
It was the day we where to get on the boat over to Papua New Guinea, I had just said my final goodbyes to Sarah, 4 days without seeing her may be tough. I went into the bedroom to get my deodorant. When i noticed 3 seperate bags placed neatly on the bed. I had never seen them before and wasn't expecting any packages. I asked her about them and she said a strange man, who looked like an Al Pacino Wannabe dropped them off. It was obviously Claude.I went over, and on a small piece of paper, it read "don't thank me"i opened them up and found the following
View attachment 224028View attachment 224029View attachment 224030

WOW ! These kits are amazing. I didn't have a clue who had sent them, it wasn't Sarah's handwriting. But these where gorgeous. So much better than those old yellow things that hadn't been washed in ages. I chose to wear the green one for this occasion, as this was my favorite.

(thanks alot to Hermanchides for these kits)

View attachment 224032

I was in the dressing room, if yo
u could call it that. Before the match, music was blasting in an attempt to fire the players up for the match. I gave a very calm but passionate team talk ..

"Do this for the people of your island, we can win this game, we may be the underdogs but i have every bit of faith in all of you to get the job done tonight, the most important thing is not to let ourselves down. And enjoy the game. Don't get nervous, everyone will make mistakes. Now, do yo
u like the new strips? Lets make this be our lucky strip. Never be beaten in it, this strip makes you invincible"

View attachment 224033
The referee chapped the dressing room door and it was kick off time. I started to get nervous, i walked o
ut the tunnel and round to the dugout. A friendly handshake between the opposition coach and myself. Then the game began.

9.2.11 v Pap
ua New Guinea
View attachment 224034

View attachment 224035

VINTAGE DISPLAY ENSURES MEMORABLE VICTORY FOR THE COOK ISLANDS

In his first game in charge as the new Cook Islands manger, Peter Hewitt's side picked up their first victory in over 3 years. The match was played on a shocking surface at Port Moresby league stadium. Both sides struggled to get going in the first half and it seemed to drag in, but in the second half things sparked to life when star player Tikalla went up front and his ability started to show. He set up Michael Varney for a spectacular 25 yard strike to put the islanders in front. Then he put the corner in from which the Cooks scored again. A towering header from Logesh Chandra doubled the lead. With around 7 minutes to go, Guinea scored a great goal of their own which started from a Cooks corner and a terrific solo effort from Nicholas Pui put them back in the game. Guinea could have gone on to score 2 or 3 more goals but failed to do so and Cooks returned back to their Island the winners.

What a game! I am so proud of all the lads, they where sensational. The green kit could be lucky after all. It's a great feeling winning. Conditions where very poor which suited us considering we train on them all the time. I believe the victory could have been more comfortbale. But i was just delighted with the win.

After that match we only had one match for the rest of the year, so i looked around looking for friendlies with hope of getting the nations FIFA ranking up. The following fixtures are ones which i believe we can win, and also get our ranking up so bigger nations will want to play us, before any major tournaments.

View attachment 224053

26.3.11 v Kirbati

8.6.11 v Seychelles

.11 v St Kitts & Nevis

3.9.11 v Singapore

7.9.11 v China

8.10.11 v
Haiti

Great story mate, keep it up, I'm following!
Loving the kits aswell!

My second game in charge was a game against another Oceanic island, Kiribati. I've never heard of them before. For the first time, we were playing on a pitch with pretty good conditions. Team talk :-

"Come on lads, we can beat this team, they are useless. The conditions are pretty good out there. When we go out and warm up. Get it right. Get used to the conditions, i want us to play some good football. Keep the ball, move make space for each other, use your brains. Tire them out"

View attachment 224078

26.3.11 v Kiribati
View attachment 224079

View attachment 224080

Another Great Display By Rookie Hewitt's Men

Peter Hewitt's Cook Island side picked up their 2nd victory in as many games since the
Scotsman took over. This time they played an
unknown island named Kiribati who almost shocked the world when they took the lead from a well placed finish by Neil Boyce, who had to go off 10 minutes later after a bad challenge from Michael Varney. The 2nd half was electrifying as both teams where really going for the victory and some feist challenges on top. The last ten minutes where memorable for the rookies side, after a superb pass from Tikalla, Teariki Piri volleyed the ball first time which hit the bar and went over the line. Then some controversy in the 92nd minute when Michael Varney was brought down inside the box, but later it was seen that he had actually taken a dive. He got up to take the penalty and scored to seal the victory.

The lads once again showed great spirit. It was a fantastic comeback,
but a disappointing performance. We were very slack in possession and missed numerous chances. At least we won !!

Interesting read mate. Cook Islands is a strange choice but I love it so far!

The biggest day of my life had arrived. We Were playing world champions Spain. BAZINGA. I'm getting married. Nothing big at all, we flew my grandfather over, and Sarah's parents came too. But that was it, we never wanted something big, it was always a dream of hers to get married abroad and i was making it come true. The ceremony was amazing, very romantic (her words not mine) in my opinion playing against the world champions would be much more exciting, and romantic for that matter. I didn't enjoy last night all. The *** was great though admittedly

View attachment 224094

Well thats me married. Don't like it really, the word depresses the **** out of me, as does her conversation. She is loving life at the minute, but i feel in a dark place right now. Maybe i got married to soon, i'm only 26 years old, she's started talking about the "k" word also. Which is over the top, i have a full life to live and experience before settling right down. Oh well, Samoa next, at home, at this shithole ...

View attachment 224095

hope you only got married in the story and not IRL ;)

story looks good, being San Marino manager I know it's hard to manage one of those obscure countries but can be very rewarding.

have you got a custom Cook Islands league active? because if you don't I'm afraid it will be nearly impossible to develop new, better players for your country...

This story is...different, I've enjoyed it so far. I will follow mate ^^).

View attachment 224096

HEWITT'S FUTURE IN JEOPARDY AS SAMOA GAME CANCELLED

For months we have been covering the amazing story of the Brit who is taking on the footballing world, out in the Cook Island's. Last night it was revealed Peter Hewitt, 26 was on the brink of quitting after a scheduled friendly against neighbours Samoa was cancelled due to pitch flooding. This isn't the reason for his outburst as our sources can clarify it's because of the pressure the job includes and because the facilities made available by the CIFA are just not good enough. But after hours of convincing from his new wife Sarah, he woke up this morning still in charge. CIFA can reveal that Hewitt had asked the Samoan FA if the tie could be reversed and that has been accepted moments ago. Hewitt has enjoyed an excellent start as the manager of Cook Island's winning in his first 2 games, both finishing 2-1 against Papua New Guinea and Kiribati respectively.

View attachment 224097
Can this tough soldier get back up on his feet ?

Well Sky sports news are talking one load of bollocks. I was never going to quit. I was really angry last night yes, b
ut i have every right. It hasn't rained in the island this year. SO HOW THE F*CK CAN THE PITCH BE FLOODED. Marriage is taking its toll on both me and Sarah. Things just aren't the same between us anymore, there's no love. We argue all the time and barely even speak to each other. We haven't had *** since the wedding day, which was 2 months ago. And what a long 2 months it has been. My grandad flew over to see me last week, i have missed him alot, he's always been there for me when i needed him most. But i'm in a foreign land, lost. But only in my head. I hope my relationship problems doesn't affect my managerial career and hold the players back. They've been so good for me, so i need to stay strong for them til i'm 100% mentally stable. My horrible dreams of that day in Afghan have returned, i'm having many sleepless nights. And worst of all. My love for the cook islands is fading .....

(dont worry story isn't over
:p)​

hope you only got married in the story and not IRL ;)

story looks good, being San Marino manager I know it's hard to manage one of those obscure countries but can be very rewarding.

have you got a custom Cook Islands league active? because if you don't I'm afraid it will be nearly impossible to develop new, better players for your country...

yes mate, was thinking ahead when i made it, thanks for the comment.

hope ye are enjoying the story.

Thanks to everyone for the comments. Means alot,

Hope you enjoy the story

We were playing away from home once again against a strong Samoa outfit. They where strong favourites being 30 odd places above us in the rankings. We were 196th i had managed to get us up 2 places since arriving here. The pitch we were about to play on was the best one yet, really good surface. On the boat, there was a little tussle between to of our players. I personally through them into the water and where made to swim home. I was having none of it, squad harmony was very important in success i believe and that was just a big disruption. My Team Talk :-

"Lads, i don't want to see any shenanigans like that again, its unacceptable. We are a team, we respect each other, and we love each other and we play for each other. I want to see a good display out there today, the pitch is beautiful, use it well. Keep the pitch nice and big. Two wingers, keep hugging the touchline, i want to see some nice footwork from you today. Good luck. Go out there and win"

8.6.11 v Samoa
View attachment 224099

View attachment 224101

TRIO OF 2-1 VICTORIES ENSURES HEWITT REMAINS UNBEATEN

Another 2-1 away victory against a very good Samoa side ensures the Cook Islands national football team remains unbeaten in 2011. Samoa attacked from the off and could (should) have had a penalty after their striker was brought down inside the boxbut the foul was given against him for simulation. A piece of genius from Steve Cuthers put the Cooks infront before Edwin Tyrell replied with a stunning 30 yard free kick. The pitch then started to become a boxing ring for the players as their where many late and high challenged thrown in by both outfits. Cook Island then took the lead again when a smart one two between both strikers resulted in an easy tap in for their talisman Tikalla.

MANAGERS SAY

I returned home a very happy man for the first time in months. We were outstanding. We played some excellent football, b
ut best of all. The harmony seems to be back. They played for each other today and that was vital in our win, I had *** tonight for the first time in ages also. Things seem to be pointing back up the way ^^

From now on things will be in a different color, jst to see how this layout works for everybody

Loving this story - Hope you can keep it up and maybe someday win the world cup! Good Luck!