cragswfc

Reaction score
https://thefmveteran.wordpress.com/...rs-this-is-fm16s-most-effective-corner-setup/

found this corner set up my best corner taker takes corner which is my AMC

How do iadd them to my game ?

save file FMF in FM 'documents' under 'set pieces' folder, then go to set pieces->corners->and load new routine. that's all .

Thank's Crag, it works

Forget About Near Post Corners; This Is FM16’s Most Effective Corner Setup

Set pieces have always been an important part of football. Especially corners can make or break a team. Corner routines are an important factor nowadays for most football clubs and they no longer can be ignored. Now that Football Manager 2016 has been out for some time everybody has been looking for a corner routine that actually works! I can proudly say that i’ve been able to make one that has given me a goal almost every game. So take a closer look at this article!

Since Football Manager 16 came out i have played with a lot of clubs all at a different skill level. This way i could test a lot of different tactics aswell as corner routines. Eventually i managed to find one that worked very well after some serious testing with several teams. During these tests i noticed that the opponent strictly marks the six yard box and that most of them don’t mark an opponent. This means that there is space on the edge of the box which could be used to score goals from. Once i’ve placed one or two players near the edge of the box it was clear to me that the opponent didn’t agressively try to close them down once they got the ball and hence my corner routine was born and goals were scored!

The setup

My corner setup is very easy. I want to score goals and i also want to use it defensively in making sure we don’t get nailed by our opponent via any counter attack. This means that i am keeping four or five man back in defense, two players roam outside the opponents box and only three are actually in the box.

Screen:
riylaye.png

My best cornerkick taker is appointed to take the corners and he needs to aim them at the penalty spot. At the edge of the box would be even better but that option is not there. Outside of the box you need two players who are technically skilled and are capable of doing longshots. The three players in the box are tasked with luring players away from the near post and they also need to screen the opponents goalkeeper. This way once the player takes his long shot the success of scoring a goal is increased. With so many players behind the ball you will also be able to keep cycling ball possession after the corner fails. I’ve scored several times after a corner as my team kept the opponent pinnend down in their own box and cross after cross came in which eventually got scored by a player from my team.

[video]https://youtu.be/UWE4wn_7Mio[/video]

n this first clip the corner is being taken exactly how i want to see it. Christian Eriksen passes the ball to Mouse Dembélé who shoots very quickly and scores a beautiful goal. Also notice how much time Dembélé has before the opponents try to close him down.

[video]https://youtu.be/ZGjOfiMzP5g[/video]

This time the opponent does try to close Dembélé down but he manages to dribble into the box and score a goal. Okay, the goalkeeper makes an error but a goal is a goal!

[video]https://youtu.be/BVIqy3J-sUY[/video]

Yet another nice goal from Dembélé and this clip exactly shows what i meant earlier. Look at the opponents defense, they are all covering three or four of my players inside the box. Only one defender tries (a bit) to put some pressure on Dembélé. Yet again Dembélé can dribble into the box and score it straight down the middle of the goal.

It has to be very clear that for my corner routine you need to put the right people in the right place. It isn't just plug and play. So be aware for the following things:

- make sure your best corner kick taker takes the corners
- make sure the two players on the edge of the box are technically skilled and are capable of dribbling and long shots

Downloadlink:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1vb3ltkhw65yfmw/Attacker.fmf?dl=0

Screen:
riylaye.png

Important:
This setup was used by myself specified for the players at that time. Just make sure your best corner kick taker is taking the corners and that the two players outside the box have a good attribute for long shots.

How To Properly Defend Corners in FM16

Next to the attacking corner routines everybody needs a solid defensive corner routine aswell. There are many ways to defend your opponents corner but i always try to give it a little extra. In this article i will show you my views on how to properly defend a corner and how you can turn your opponents corner into a counter attacking opportunity for your own team.

The setup

This setup all depends on the quality of the players your team possesses. The idea is to convert a defensive corner routine into a counter attacking opportunity for your own team. To do so i have kept the setup rather simple as i’ve tried to eliminate all scoring options from my opponent.

https://thefmveteran.files.wordpress.com/2016/01/bxq3ykt.png?w=627

1st option closing down the short corner: Due to the present of one of my (usually smaller) players i’ve taken away the option to use a short corner. The opponent will be immediately pressurized if they try to do so anyway and this will mainly end up for my team having ball possession very quickly.
2nd option is taking away scoring from the six yard box: I have placed one of my backs at the near post. I have left the far post undefended as most opponents don’t attack that area. The six yard box is defended by the three players that have the best attributes for heading aswell as jumping reach. This way the opponent shouldn’t be able to score from close range. In the middle i have placed my tallest player so he can take out any ball that comes in that area.
3rd option is the marking of tall players: Three of my own defenders have been assinged to guard/annoy the opponents three tallest players. This way scoring from the penalty spot area should be very had or even impossible.
4th option is scoring from the edge of the area: By placing a technical and quick player, who can jump and head very well, at the edge of the box i give myself options to start a counter attack. Look at the picture below

https://thefmveteran.files.wordpress.com/2016/01/m3tqba5.png?w=627

We managed to get the ball away from our box and have quickly began our counter attack. Four or five man are rushing towards the enemy box in an attempt to score a goal.
5th option is keeping defenders occupied: One of my players (quick one) is staying near the halfway line. This means your opponent has to keep two or three defenders at the back. This way they have less players in your box which decreases the chances of getting a goal against.
Conclusion

I hope you get the general idea of what i am talking about. Using this defensive corner routine has gave me quite a few goals already. It also made sure my opponent hardly ever scores against me and that is just what this is all about.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3hwkyyslhvk5k4o/Defense.fmf?dl=0

Last edited:
Ill throw it on my sociedad save see how it goes

Hmmmmmmmmmm

I'm testing right now

EDIT: Nothing amazing so far. Not scoring any more or less than the set up I had before this one :(

Last edited:
Wait how do i get them to kick it to my waiting CM?

How do iadd them to my game mate?
save file FMF in FM 'documents' under 'set pieces' folder, then go to set pieces->corners->and load new routine. that's all ;).

Tested it and got less than downloaded tactics usual scoring from corners

The OP is normally on point with things like this, so finding it strange folk are reporting otherwise.

The OP is normally on point with things like this, so finding it strange folk are reporting otherwise.

i agree, and guido also tested this and said it worked. So i have no doubts this routine will work, but so far it's not working yet in my save. i also saw someone else who said that the setup in the download isn't the same as the explanation one.

i agree, and guido also tested this and said it worked. So i have no doubts this routine will work, but so far it's not working yet in my save. i also saw someone else who said that the setup in the download isn't the same as the explanation one.

Okay, yes, this is a problem. The actual tactic isn't the one in the screenshot. I'll test the actual one, and here it is for anyone who doesn't want to download it.

View attachment 192994

According to the original post the players in the box should be at the far post luring players away from the near post.

Here is both of FM Veterans routines, though always go to his blog and double check. Same concepts should apply to freekicks, so going to try and replicate them as well.

An issue may be folk not letting their best corner taker hitting corners but instead taking Carg's instruction of AMC hitting them literally. He said it worked best for him with an AMC, maybe because his AMC had best corner attributes. It works best when the best corner taker takes them.

Plus, some of the positions etc will be changed or some players will not be int he slots due to formation changes so double check the blog to see it tallies up.

Last edited:
It should be noted your AMC needs to take corners it racked a few up for me in my first game with it

It should be noted your AMC needs to take corners it racked a few up for me in my first game with it

I don't think it matters which position the corner taker has.. I could be wrong though..

Here is both of FM Veterans routines, though always go to his blog and double check. Same concepts should apply to freekicks, so going to try and replicate them as well.

An issue may be folk not letting their best corner taker hitting corners but instead taking Carg's instruction of AMC hitting them literally. He said it worked best for him with an AMC, maybe because his AMC had best corner attributes. It works best when the best corner taker takes them.

Plus, some of the positions etc will be changed or some players will not be int he slots due to formation changes so double check the blog to see it tallies up.

Oh **** i was rushing last night to share it, cheers pal