Cracking the top 4

• Thread starter Thread starter SaintMotbot
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 754
  • Views Views 243K
View attachment 991846
August Review

View attachment 205740
A mixed month, but the defeat to Stoke has got to tip it over into disappointing. Encouraging signs against PSG and good wins against West Brom and Villa give us something to work with.
View attachment 205739
No real conclusions to be drawn from the table this early but no real damage done either. Just the one win away from the Champions League spots.

View attachment 205738
Our first Champions League draw has been really cruel. PSG, Leverkusen and Palaermo are all good teams in their own right and we are going to have to do really well to qualify from this!

View attachment 205737
Norwich away in the Capital One Cup. At least its not Huddersfield.

Player of the Month
View attachment 205736
With nobody really banging in the goals and clean sheets not being kept, Dele Alli has caught the eye and made a really positive start to his Saints career. Some solid performances in the middle of the park have won him a starting spot in the side over Callum Slattery, can he keep it up?

September Preview
View attachment 205735

View attachment 991855
View attachment 205734

Wow, those are some massive signings! You've assembled a very strong side, a bit of rocky start but I suppose that's just because the players have to get used to each other. Once they get some familiarty with the rest of the team and the way that you want to play you should be getting some excellent performances, no doubt. Getting into the next stage of the Champions League is going to be a very tough ask but the game against PSG shows what you're team are capable of so I wouldn't count you out just yet.

Sanchez and Ozil at Southampton?!? Great signings and you've got a really decent squad now - capable of challenging for the title as you did last season!

Sanchez and Ozil at Southampton?!? Great signings and you've got a really decent squad now - capable of challenging for the title as you did last season!

It's ridiculous isn't it! time for Southampton to start poaching players off the big clubs!

Wow, those are some massive signings! You've assembled a very strong side, a bit of rocky start but I suppose that's just because the players have to get used to each other. Once they get some familiarty with the rest of the team and the way that you want to play you should be getting some excellent performances, no doubt. Getting into the next stage of the Champions League is going to be a very tough ask but the game against PSG shows what you're team are capable of so I wouldn't count you out just yet.

Thanks man :) I remain hopeful for some Champions League magic!

View attachment 993369
View attachment 204401
View attachment 204400
Starting XI - Horn, Digne, Van Dijk, Dier, Chambers, Maia, Alli, Sanchez, Ozil, Lucas, Martial.

A very pleasing victory away from home against Newcastle as the lads performed their individual tasks admirably. It took us less than a minute to make our mark on the game with Mesut Ozil scoring a sublime finish to put us into the lead. Alexis Sanchez doubled our lead just after half time before Martial scored off the woodwork to make it three. Despite letting in a late consolation goal, I am an extremely happy manager.

Amazing signings matey, got quite the squad now!!

View attachment 204063
View attachment 204092
View attachment 204091
Starting XI - Horn, Digne, Van Dijk, Dier, Chambers, Maia, Alli, Insigne, Ozil, Lucas, Martial.

The most complete and impressive performance I have seen in my time at the club. We absolutely demolished PSG at St Marys with Ozil once again pulling all the strings in the centre of my attacking midfield with two goals and two assist. Martial chipped in with two as well and Lucas and Digne grabbed the other two. A fantastic start to our Champions League adventure and a very healthy goal difference boost.

Last edited:
View attachment 993716
View attachment 204089
View attachment 204087
Starting XI - Horn, Dinge, Van Dijk, Dier, Chambers, Slattery, Alli, Sanchez, Ozil, Lucas, Martial.

We are really starting to hit high gear now. A stunning display from Anthony Martial saw him score four goals (Including two penalties) in a game which we dominated from start to finish. It is an absolute privelage to work with a striker of Martials quality, especially when he is surrounded by players such as Sanchez, Ozil, Lucas, Insigne and Grealish.

View attachment 993731View attachment 204076
View attachment 204075
Starting XI - Lewis, Whiteman, Tah, Dier, Turza, Slattery, Alli, Insigne, Hesketh, Grealish, Martial.

Behave Anthony! Another 5 goals for the French hit man and a perfect 10 match rating as he lead a rotated side against Norwich in the Capital One Cup. Norwich gave us one **** of a game but in the end our quality was just too great and we blew them away in extra time thanks to a couple of choice substitutions. Man Utd must be sick as parrots that they let Martial go, Ballon d'Or anyone?

View attachment 993735
View attachment 204073
View attachment 204072
Starting XI - Horn, Digne, Tah, Dier, Chambers, Maia, Hesketh, Sanchez, Ozil, Lucas, Martial.

Only the two goals for Martial today as we ease past Middlesbrough in the Premier League. They played quite well if not extremely defensively (Understandably) but we never really looked in any danger, even with just the one goal lead right up until the end. Should I be worried about our over-reliance on Martial? perhaps. But for now I am going to enjoy it while it lasts.

View attachment 993738
September Review

View attachment 204071
A perfect month! and a really really good one at that with the massive win against PSG.

View attachment 204070
A really solid start to our Premiership campaign as we are up at the sharp end of proceedings. No real surprises so far with everybody where you would expect them to be.

View attachment 204069
Nothing much to report in terms of the Champions League as it is far too early to tell anything however we are off to the dream start.

View attachment 204068
A real test in the Capital One Cup up next as we face an away trip to Old Trafford.

Player of the Month
View attachment 204067
Yep you guessed it. I have never seen anybody in the type of form that Martial is in at the moment. 14 goals in his last 5 games in all competitions shows you just how lethal this lad is. Long may it continue.

October Review
View attachment 204066
A brutal month coming up and one that could be crucial to us on several fronts. City and Spurs in the Premier League, United in the Capital One Cup and then Leverkusen and Palermo in the Champions League.

View attachment 204062
View attachment 204061
View attachment 204060
Starting XI - Horn, Digne, Van Dijk, Dier, Chambers, Maia, Alli, Sanchez, Ozil, Lucas, Martial.

Well it had to come at some point, the important thing is how we bounce back. The unthinkable happened as Martial had a bad day in front of goal and he even missed a penalty! We didnt play too badly in all honesty it was just one of those games where Leverkusen scored with each of their first few shots on goal. Unfortunate but we move on.

View attachment 993751
View attachment 204059
View attachment 204058
Starting XI - Horn, Digne, Tah, Dier, Chambers, Slattery, Alli, Insigne, Ozil, Lucas, Martial.

Perfect. A really good response from our mid-week loss see's us thump City at home. Lorenzo Insigne put us into the lead early on to justify his selection ahead of Sanchez. After half time De Bruyne equalised well but Martial was the man on the spot once again as he put us back into the lead. The match was rounded off by a first goal for Dele Alli, rewarding him for a tireless performance. The bad news of the day is an injury to Martial. This has come at a bad time with the fixtures we have to play but I am confident we have the squad depth to cope.

View attachment 204057

View attachment 993755
View attachment 204056
View attachment 204055
Starting XI - Horn, Digne, Tah, Dier, Chambers, Slattery, Alli, Insigne, Ozil, Lucas, Williamson.

Another really good showing from the boys as we make it five straight wins in the Premier League. Mike Williamson got his shot in the first team thanks to Martials injury and he took it, opening the scoring for us just before half time. Once again we looked fairly comfortable throughout until Lucas Moura doubled our lead with pretty much the last kick of the game.

View attachment 204054

View attachment 204052
View attachment 204051
View attachment 204050
Starting XI - Horn, Digne, Tah, Dier, Chambers, Slattery, Alli, Sanchez, Ozil, Lucas, Williamson.

Disappointing again in the Champions League as we learn the hard way that our pressing style isnt going to work away from home. Mike Williamson started again and grabbed himself two more goals, but it wasnt enough to compensate for our shoddy defensive display.

View attachment 993763
View attachment 993765
View attachment 204049
Starting XI - Horn, Digne, Van Dijk, Dier, Chambers, Maia, Alli, Sanchez, Ozil, Grealish, Williamson.

If we ever needed a reminder not to get ahead of ourselves, this was it. Even the established big teams in the league cant expect to win every game and sometimes bad luck just catches up with you. Williamson led the line and continued his fine form by putting us ahead. We pretty much controlled the game, if not in possession then in chances created, we just couldnt finish anything. I am starting to worry about the form of Alexis Sanchez now as he has not lived up to his reputation. With Grealish complaining about his lack of football and playing poorly when I offer the chance, we are perhaps looking a little light in midfield.

View attachment 993770
View attachment 204043
View attachment 204041
Starting XI - Lewis, Digne, Van Dijk, Dier, Chambers, Maia, Alli, Sanchez, Ozil, Lucas, Martial.

A great win in the Capital One Cup at Old Trafford as we saw off United in extra time. An eventful match saw both sides finish with 10 men and some seriously last gasp heroics from Jack Grealish, who came on for the injured Sanchez, saw us take the win. Some seriously devastating news with the injury to Alexis Sanchez who will be out for the foreseeable future. This is a major blow to our chances this season.

View attachment 204035

View attachment 993784
October Review

View attachment 204031
A mixed bag this month that shows we are nowhere near the finished article yet. The Spurs game I am not so worried about as we didn't deserve to lose but the Champions League performances were naive and not good enough.
View attachment 204030
Still going well in the Premiership at the top end of the table.

View attachment 204029
Bottom of the group in the Champions League but it is still incredible tight and all to play for, especially with two home games still to go.

View attachment 204028
An away quarter final against Everton in the Capital One Cup is also to look forward to.

Player of the Month
View attachment 204027
I am going to give our player of the month award to Dele Alli this month for some industrious performances in the middle of the park including a couple of goals. Mike Williamson can feel hard done by and is unlucky not to get this one.

November Preview
View attachment 204026

Back