Cracking the top 4

• Thread starter Thread starter SaintMotbot
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 754
  • Views Views 243K
View attachment 204003
View attachment 204002
View attachment 204001
Starting XI - Horn, Digne, Tah, Dier, Chambers, Maia, Alli, Insigne, Ozil, Barry, Martial.

It is now going to take something seriously special to qualify from our Champions League group. Once again we created plenty of chances but surrendered the game somewhat meekly. The injury of Sanchez and lack of fitness of Lucas has hit us hard, especially with Grealish being about as useful as a fart in a jacuzzi.

View attachment 993838
View attachment 203981
View attachment 203978
Starting XI - Horn, Digne, Tah, Dier, Chambers, Strootman, Alli, Insigne, Ozil, Lucas, Martial.

What is happening to our players all of a sudden!?!? Jonathan Tah lunged into a stupid stupid tackle early on in the game to drop us right in it. Somehow though we scrapped our way through the match and defended like warriors to claim a precious win. Eric Diet got the only goal of the game with a close range header from a set piece. The match also marked a return to the first team for Kevin Strootman.

View attachment 993867
View attachment 203956
View attachment 203955
Starting XI - Horn, Digne, Tah, Dier, Chambers, Strootman, Alli, Insigne, Ozil, Lucas, Martial.

Another ground out result away from home can only be a promising sign as we beat Derby and keep a clean sheet despite not being at our best. Anthony Martial scored the only goal of the game to break his mini goal drought and earn us three more valuable points to try and reignite some form. Jonathan Tah put in a superb performance in the heart of defence after his sending off ban was rescinded by the FA following my complaints.

View attachment 203950
View attachment 203949
View attachment 203948
Starting XI - Horn, Digne, Tah, Dier, Chambers, Maia, Alli, Insigne, Ozil, Lucas, Martial.

I have never been more embarrassed of a team in my life. How we can go from grinding out 1-0 wins to shipping 7 against PSG in the space of a week I have no idea, but that is what we are faced with. Breel Embolo in particular was absolutely lethal and we didnt stand a chance. It was Lucas Dignes turn to get sent off this time and he will face a hefty fine for not learning from others mistakes. This result and our recent discipline problems are just not acceptable and I will not hesitate to make changes. This result means we are now out of the Champions League, and we wont even be able to finish 3rd to drop into the Europa League. Even worse news is another injury to our most consistent performer, Lucas.

View attachment 203947

Ouch that's a brutal result! Still doing very well in the league at least, no Europe after Christmas could help you really fight for the title!

View attachment 994256
View attachment 203629
View attachment 203628
Starting XI - Horn, Digne, Van Dijk, Dier, Chambers, Maia, Ozil, Hesketh, Insigne, Martial.

A really mature performance from the boys after the hammering we took against PSG as we went back to basics and did a proper job on West Ham. Anthony Martial got us off to a great start and from there we didnt look back. Dele Alli scored what has to be a conteneder for goal of the season with a wonderful volley from well outside the area right into the top corner of the net to make it 2-0 and wrap the game up. We mixed our team up slightly today to try something new with Ozil cutting in from the left and Insigne on the right, with Jake Hesketh rewarded for his patience with a place back in the line up.

View attachment 994259

November Review

View attachment 203626
Mixed results again with crippling disappointment in the Champions League and from the loss to Wolves but three straight Premier League wins and three straight Premier League clean sheets gives fresh optimism moving forwards.

View attachment 203625
The Premiership is becoming so incredibly tight these days. Just one point separates the top four and two points separate the bottom five. I am extremely happy with our league form at the moment and seeing us up at the top of the table early on is a big confidence boost, especially with Chelsea and Spurs starting to struggle.

View attachment 203623
The Champions League group is not nearly so nice to look at. We are down and out of the competition and of the Europa League. The silver lining is that we can now turn our attentions elsewhere. Our remaining group game against Leverkusen becomes a chance for some of the kids.

Player of the Month
View attachment 203621
With the injury to Sanchez, Lorenzo Insigne has really stepped up to the plate and claims our player of the month award. He has proven that he can play off of both wings and has scored and assisted to bring us some good results this month.

December Preview
View attachment 203620
Ouch. Liverpool away, Man Utd away and then Liverpool at home in the space of week. This will sort the men from the boys. Our month starts with a trip to Goodison Park to take on Everton in the Capital One Cup. With our elimination from Europe, I would love some silverware this year and this could be a great place to start.

View attachment 994280
View attachment 203607
View attachment 203606
Starting XI - Lewis, Digne, Van Dijk, Dier, Turza, Maia, Alli, Ozil, Hesketh, Insigne, Williamson.

Seems fitting that we are knocked out of the Capital One Cup at the quarter final stage by a side based in Liverpool. My idea of squad rotation didnt work as we were outplayed thoroughly by Everton and looked 2nd best in every area of the pitch.

View attachment 994283
View attachment 203605
View attachment 203604
Starting XI - Horn, Digne, Tah, Dier, Chambers, Slattery, Alli, Insigne, Hesketh, Grealish, Martial.

An extraordinary game at Carrow Road saw us get off to a dreadful start, conceding two in the first 10 minutes. We looked sloppy and almost scared after our recent bad results and I was seriously worried we were about to be on the end of another serious thrashing. Fortunately the lads turned it around beautifully, led by Martial who pocketed himself another four goals. Martial and Insigne ran the whole game for us and were just beautiful to watch.

View attachment 203603
View attachment 994287
View attachment 203602
Starting XI - Lewis, Whiteman, Tah, Dier, Turza, Slattery, Alli, Insigne, Barry, Grealish, Williamson.

A decent effort by what was effectively our reserve team with a few exceptions as we narrowly lost out to Leverkusen in the Champions League, bringing our European adventure to a close. Mike Williamson did well to grab his goal and he is taking opportunities when they come up, one to keep an eye on.

View attachment 994289
Rumours surrounding Bale's Madrid future

View attachment 994290
Rumours are beginning to fly as Gareth Bales future at Spanish giant Real Madrid continues to be thrown into doubt. Bale, who has not started a single league game this year for Madrid, is reportedly far from happy in Spain and is openly seeking a return to England. Furthermore, it appears that Real themselves have become disillusioned with the Welsh superstar and are prepared to sell to rid the club of his wages.

A host of Premier League clubs have been linked to Bale, now 30 years old, but it appears Chelsea are the favourites to land him. Speculation is also being driven by potential bids from both Manchester clubs and Bale's former team Southampton. The prospect of having Bale back on the South Coast is one that is exciting for many Southampton fans and has even seen the hash tag #ComeHomeGareth trend worldwide on twitter.

View attachment 203601

Last edited:
great story mate, love the detail.

tough first year in Champs Lge, but hopefully you can continue to push towards league glory.

would you mind posting a SS of williamson? thanks.

#ComeHomeGareth

View attachment 993875
View attachment 993876
View attachment 993877
Starting XI - Horn, Digne, Tah, Dier, Chambers, Maia, Alli, Insigne, Ozil, Lucas, Martial.

I have never been more embarrassed of a team in my life. How we can go from grinding out 1-0 wins to shipping 7 against PSG in the space of a week I have no idea, but that is what we are faced with. Breel Embolo in particular was absolutely lethal and we didnt stand a chance. It was Lucas Dignes turn to get sent off this time and he will face a hefty fine for not learning from others mistakes. This result and our recent discipline problems are just not acceptable and I will not hesitate to make changes. This result means we are now out of the Champions League, and we wont even be able to finish 3rd to drop into the Europa League. Even worse news is another injury to our most consistent performer, Lucas.

View attachment 993878

I feel very sory for you my friend for that scorline and I understand you completely. Yesterday PSG destroyed me with the same score !!

View attachment 994318
View attachment 203574
View attachment 203573
Starting XI - Horn, Digne, Tah, Dier, Chambers, Slattery, Alli, Ozil, Hesketh, Insigne.

Unbelievable. We threw away a two goal lead to lose it with the last kick of the game. We were trying out a slightly different tactic of sitting deeper and utilising pacey counter attacks as opposed to our usual pressing game. Safe to say I think we might stick with the pressing for now.

View attachment 994333View attachment 203561
View attachment 203560
Starting XI - Horn, Digne, Van Dijk, Dier, Chambers, Slattery, Alli, Insigne, Ozil, Lucas, Williamson.

These results are starting to really hurt us now. I dont know why, but all of a sudden we have the feeling of a team in transition, despite being settled previously. Luckily Williamson and Ozil managed to grab us a point which is better than nothing!

View attachment 994345
View attachment 203550
View attachment 203549
Starting XI - Horn, Digne, Van Dijk, Dier, Chambers, Maia, Alli, Insigne, Ozil, Lucas, Williamson.

Our poor form continues as a Coutinho strike sank us at Anfield. We played reasonably well, but not well enough as we lose more ground in the title race. Something has changed and I just cant put my finger on what the problem is.

View attachment 994363
View attachment 203533
View attachment 203531
Starting XI - Horn, Digne, Van Dijk, Dier, Chambers, Slattery, Alli, Insigne, Ozil, Lucas, Martial.

Anthony Martial worked his magic to grab us a late and thoroughly undeserved point against United at Old Trafford. Martial scored all three of our goals to haunt his former club but defensively we were awful. Our form is abysmal at the moment and we look totally devoid of confidence.

View attachment 994379
View attachment 203520
View attachment 203519
Starting XI - Horn, Digne, Tah, Dier, Chambers, Slattery, Alli, Insigne, Hesketh, Lucas, Martial.

Finally, a MASSIVE win as we grabbed our revenge against Liverpool to take three valuable points. Insigne got us off to the dream start as we almost completely controlled the first half. The start of the 2nd half was a disaster as we let Sakho head Liverpool level. Lucas was the man who came to the rescue soon after to put us back into the lead and wrap up the game! For the match I made the call to play Hesketh over Ozil for his higher work rate and energy and it paid off as Jake had a great game. Unfortunately every time something goes right, something goes wrong! Insigne's injury will be tough to take, even if it is for a short time.

View attachment 203518

Back