Crash dumps, failed to set up graphics, XML errors and other problems

Jake

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Right, first up, Steam IS NOT responsible for crash dumps, i don't care what sort of crack pot theories you have heard or invented. The fact is, FM has been crash dumping for years, on both steam and non steam versions. If you are having a steam specific problem, please use this thread.

There is no exact solution as every crash dump is caused by a different problem, often the problem is nothing to do with FM.

All i can say is, i use graphics that can be trusted, ie the logo and face megapacks, almost always i use a default skin, i NEVER use FMRTE and rarely use the editor.

I keep my frankly poor laptop up to date, and i regularly defragment.

Shock horror i haven't had a crash dump since the memory leak issues of FM10 before patch 10.1

Most people who have a crash dump should probably look at themselves/their actions/their systems condition before blaming the game.

Patches DO NOT cause crash dumps. The reasons laid out below are the causes for crash dumps. So because version 13.0.0 is working fine on a system that contains errors/corruptions/registry conflicts/overlaps/viruses/whatever doesn't mean that those said errors/corruptions/registry conflicts/overlaps/viruses/whatever are going to leave the patched version alone. Bottom line is, the causes of crash dumps aren't a poorly made game or patch. It's almost always a users actions/their computer system/a combination of the 2.

--------------------------------

I strongly suggest trying the steps outlined in SI's official FAQ thread. It takes 2 minutes to sign up to SI's forum using a sega pass.

--------------------------------

When met by a crash dump error, the first place i would look is any custom graphics you are using. If any of the graphics are .PNG files, they need to be amended to .png

Database size can cause crash dumps. If you try to load more nations/leagues/players than you system can handle, the game may crash under the strain. This may take many seasons as the game DB slowly increases in size over the course of many seasons thanks to regen players being created and added. Try playing with a smaller db, or with less nations or leagues loaded.

Use of the official editor can lead to crashing if you don't know what you are doing. FMRTE results in numerous errors and crashes in my experience, stay away from it is my advice.

For XML Issues and crash dumps, please delete your settings folder as described below:

First of all you need to turn on hidden files and folders.

XP:
My Computer
'Tools'
'Folder Options'.
The go to the 'View' tab and select 'Show hidden files and folders'

Windows Vista and Windows 7:
My Computer
'Organize'
'Folder and Search Options'.
The go to the 'View' tab and select 'Show hidden files and folders'

Once this is done, follow the instructions below:

Windows XP:
1. Open “My Computer”
2. Navigate to : “Documents and Settings\<Username>\Application Data\
3. Go into the “Sports Interactive” Folder.
4. Delete the “Football Manager 2013” Folder.

Windows Vista and Windows 7:
1. Click “Start”
2. Click your username on the start Menu
3. Click on “AppData” and then “Roaming”
4. Go into the “Sports Interactive” Folder
5. Delete the “Football Manager 2013” Folder.

If you get an xml parsing error message

Try this:

Delete the following folder:

XP: C:\Documents and Settings\[your username]\Application Data\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2012\settings

Vista\Windows7: C:\Users\[your username]\AppData\Roaming\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2012\settings

Once deleted restart your computer and try launching the game again.

Cannot run game: Failed to set up graphics system

ERROR: Cannot run game: Failed to set up graphics system, to fix this issue, please do the following:

Please download the following update from the Microsoft Direct X SDK:
Download Details - Microsoft Download Center - DirectX SDK - (June 2010)

Use the following settings in Direct-x Control Panel.

Run the following tool:

Start->Direct-X SDK->Direct-X Utilities->Direct-X Caps Viewer

Ensure the Direct-X properties appear as the dialog below. Especially important to ensure the Enumerate Reference Rasterizer is checked.

directxo.jpg

When downloading this file please use the Firefox browser as some people have encounter difficulties when using Internet Explorer.

You should also check that you are running the latest graphics driver, you can do this by visiting the computer manufacturer website, or by visiting the graphics card manufacturing website.

Also if you are running Steam, make sure this is not running when attempting to install

Also make sure your Graphics Card drivers are updated to their latest versions:

What drivers you need and where to download them from depends on your graphics drivers.

Some Computer manufacturers insist you download drivers from their own sites. Please refer to the website of your computer manufacturer before reporting issues with graphics drivers.

To verify your PCs graphics card chipset:

For XP

From the Windows desktop:
- Click Start
- Click Run
- Type DXDIAG in the Open field (thats dxdiag in capitals, i cant get rid of the smiley)
- Click OK

For Vista/Win 7
- Click Start
- In the search programs and files box, type DXDIAG (dxdiag in capitals)
- Press Enter

This will launch the DirectX Diagnostic Tool. Click on the Display and Sound tabs. The upper left box headed ‘Devices’ shows the make and model of card; the right box headed ‘Drivers’ shows the driver version number.

Here are the websites of the largest graphics cards and chipset manufacturers:

Nvidia (Gforce/Legacy)
Drivers - Download NVIDIA Drivers

ATI (Radeon)
AMD Graphics Drivers & Software

Intel (Onboard Chipsets)
Intel Download Center

There are other manufacturers of graphics card drivers. If you can not find drivers for these cards they may have been discontinued. Please ask in this case as we may still be able to help.

Driver download locations

• ATI Drivers
AMD Graphics Drivers & Software

• Intel Drivers
Intel Download Center

Desktop Chipsets — Chipset information and downloads (Intel® 945 Express Chipset Family)

• nVidia Drivers
Drivers - Download NVIDIA Drivers

• SiS Drivers
http://www.sis.com/download/agreemen...url=/download/

If your driver does not appear on this list please contact us here - Contact Us - Sports Interactive Community

The above suggested hasn't worked, is there anything else I can try?

If this fails to work some people have reported using SwiftShader has helped them in this situation.

The demo version of SwiftShader (which is the full version but for home use only) can be downloaded from here - SwiftShader Registration | TransGaming Inc - Broadening the Playing Field

SwiftShader is a high performance software 3D renderer that can be used in place of standard Direct3D implementations.

To test it with your application download the demo, unzip the file and move the provided D3D8 or D3D9 DLL file into the same folder as the fm.exe

If you try one and it does not work (you get a windows error message for example), try the other.

Then just run the game as normal - although bear in mind the swiftshader logo will appear in the bottom left hand corner of the game.

If nothing above works, you may want to try a full manual uninstall. Please see below.

Completing a Full Uninstall:

This uninstall guide assumes earlier editions of Football Manager were and are still installed such as Football Manager 2010 or 2011.

If this is not the case please delete the Sports Interactive folder instead of the Football Manager 2013 folder as outlined in each individual step:

* Before proceeding please make sure to write down the username and password of your Steam account as you will need them to reinstall afterwards.

Start by uninstalling Football Manager 2013 through Steam:

Right-click on Football Manager 2013 and select “Delete Local Content…”

Next, delete Sports Interactive from my Documents:

Start Menu > Documents > Sports Interactive > Football Manager 2013

Delete Football Manager 2013 (This will delete save data, please store elsewhere such as the desktop if required).

Next confirm the removal the Football Manager 2013 Settings.

Confirm that hidden folders are enabled:

Step 1

- Click on the Start button,
- Click on the Control Panel,
- From the Control Panel Select Classic View,
- Once selected locate and double click on Folder Options.
- Click on the View tab.

Step 2

- Under the Hidden files and folders section select the radio button labelled Show hidden files and folders.
- Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labelled Hide extensions for known file types.
- Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labelled Hide protected operating system files.
- Press the Apply button and then the OK button and shutdown My Computer.
- Now Windows Vista is configured to show all hidden files.

Step 3:
Remove the cache files for Football Manager 2013 as detailed below:

Go here:

XP:

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Sports Interactive\

Vista/Win7:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Sports Interactive\

Delete the Sports Interactive folder.

Then you will have to manually remove Steam:

1. Exit Steam.

2. Navigate to your Steam directory. (Typically C:\Program Files\Steam or C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam)

3. Delete all of the contents of your Steam directory.

When complete, make sure the Steam and FM12 registry entries have been removed. While doing the following, please be aware that the Windows registry is a very sensitive part of Windows. Mistakes can render your system unstable so be VERY careful when making any changes.

* For FM 2013:

- Click Start then Run.
- At the prompt type: REGEDIT. The registry editor will open.
- Click the "+" next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
- Click the "+" next to SOFTWARE.
*If you have a 64-bits Operating System go to: SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node
- Click the "+" next to Sports Interactive Ltd.
- Right-Click the Football Manager 2013 folder.
- Select Delete.

- Go back to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE.
- Click the "+" next to Microsoft
- Click the "+" next to Windows
- Click the "+" next to CurrentVersion
- Click the "+" next to Uninstall
- Right click & delete the key labelled:
- Football Manager fields

* For Steam:

In the left-hand column of your registry editor, navigate to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Valve\Steam.

Right-click on Valve select Delete.

- For 32-bit operating systems:

In the left-hand column of your registry editor, navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Valve\.

Right-click on Valve and select Delete.

- For 64-bit operating systems:

In the left-hand column of your registry editor, navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Valve\.

Right-click on Valve and select Delete.

When completed please close the Registry Editor, restart your computer and try the installation again.

-------------------------

Please post if you have a problem that wasn't fixed by the steps above. As i mentioned, the cause of a crash dump is often user specific and is therefore very difficult to fix, but we will try our best.

my demo wont load any game it says unable to load saved game rule error when i try the quick start opition please help

Hi all, ok so i bought fm2013 yesterday and went through the update process perfectly fine.then steam updated the game, as i went to launch i keep getting the following error-not well formed (invalid token) at line 1 of update- 1302.xmlEven when i click off the message it just pops back up 5 second later making my game totally unplayable, iv had a read around and tried deleting the cache and settings folder but still the same message! Please hekp@!Thanks for reading

I get a crash dump when I speak to my Chairman for a parent club. Any ideas why?

crach

the game suddenly crash and closed with no messages when i try to show any national team players !!

hi mate, i get acrash dump which says fm2013v13.1.1.328972(2012.11.06.11.23.58).dmp at loading the game, any help?, thanks

I get crash dump when i click "get advice from staff" without error.

I think, that is not problem in my computer, but in the game-update.

my fm13 crash dumps when loading cups and competitions when starting a new game

Have tried EVERYTHING you suggest.... No crash dump generated... Its very random when it defaults back to the desktop with no warning... Only once have I managed to make it to a match...

Just to add to the above... It is a brand new system, ALL drivers across the board are current and up to date... I ensure that NOTHING is running while I try to play FM2013...

The problem with loading the saved game

Please help, I can not load a saved game. After trying to load the message "Saved game was not loaded"

Just to add to the above... It is a brand new system, ALL drivers across the board are current and up to date... I ensure that NOTHING is running while I try to play FM2013...

Create a new user on windows, install steam and the game there and let me know it goes

Please help, I can not load a saved game. After trying to load the message "Saved game was not loaded"

Your save game is corrupted. 99% chance its gone forever.

Happens on porrly maintained systems with fragmented drives and registry errors.

Keep backups of your save file on a usb or similar in future, or use a 5 file rolling save

Your save game is corrupted. 99% chance its gone forever.

Happens on porrly maintained systems with fragmented drives and registry errors.

Keep backups of your save file on a usb or similar in future, or use a 5 file rolling save

I saved 3 games and I can not upload any save

I saved 3 games and I can not upload any save

See my previous statements re: your hard drive and registry.

Cluttered systems are more likely to result in corrupted games.

See my previous statements re: your hard drive and registry.

Cluttered systems are more likely to result in corrupted games.

The system is fresh. The game installed on a new laptop. How do you think the system can help restore

The system is fresh. The game installed on a new laptop. How do you think the system can help restore

System restore may recover the game, but will not fix the underlying cause of save corruption.

common cause is not shutting your system down properly. Switching off via the power button will adversely affect your last save.

crash dump which says fm2013v13.1.1.328972(2012.11.06.11.23.58).dmp at loading the game is not solve yet....i am having this problem when setting up the games during the loading of leagues and competition.....please help us man :(

Please help us to solve because of crash dumps during set up staff responsibilities, choose season expectation, etc

please, how can i get the new crack to fix that crashdumps ? i'm dying to play football manager!!