Crystal Palace - The Eagles Fly High!

Sam94

Reaction score
View attachment 192635

Hello and welcome to my new (and pretty much first) save on this years Football Manager, having played Football manager forever pretty much i've never actually had a good go at the Premier League. Having posted a poll earlier on what team to go Palace won the vote with around 23% out of about 46 voters. ( thanks to those who voted) Anyway enough blabbing and lets see what the deal is with Palace!

------

The History

View attachment 192633

Woooow! i really had no idea how shi.... many trophies Palace had actually won, none in the past 21 years as well, same time i've been alive... gonna have to change that!

------

The Expectations

View attachment 192632

I feel the expectations are rather reasonable, a mid table finish should be doable although im not going to look any further than mid table, keep my expectations at bare minimum to ensure no disappointment lol!

Well lets get started then.....

Oh god, out of all the teams they had to be the one to ****** win, I would wish you good luck but I hope they fail :p

Oh god, out of all the teams they had to be the one to ****** win, I would wish you good luck but I hope they fail :p

Haha! I'll take it as good luck in my own way i guess ;)

Obvious Brighton fan is obvious :p

Anyway; good luck. Have a soft spot for Palace, so happy to see this being done

Pre-Season

View attachment 192475

Pre-Season went by rather fast to be honest, with myself only really focusing on changing up the staff to a higher quality and putting in my own tactics/assessing the squad i have, so i left my assistant in charge of the friendlies with my tactics and this is how they went.

View attachment 192472

Was never going to really care about the final results to be fair, squad rotation and high fitness levels was the only concern.

----------

With about 6.3m to spend in the summer i only bought in a few players (i know i know big shock) because i wasn't really planning on offloading much players if any just so i could really get a good feel for what players i like and which ones i dont so much as FM can be very surprising sometimes with how players perform.

View attachment 192471

Nothing really to rave about although i do plan on bringing in a few more for backup. Balanta is well known to FM players so he dosent need much explaining, cheap, young and very solid for pretty much all teams. Michu is much older and more well known and given we know he can perform at this level i cant really complain to getting him on a free, he will provide good depth up top.

----------

With the moves done in the window so far lets see the squad we head into the first league game with.

View attachment 192469
View attachment 192468

I'm feeling confident (i think) heading into the season, standout players would have to be the likes of Bolasie and Cabaye, if Balanta settles in well himself and Scott Dann should prove a solid duo at center back also. Will still have to try my best to add a little more before the window shuts!

View attachment 192465

View attachment 192464

----------

View attachment 192466

Heading into the season my number one Speroni will miss the first month or so of games which will be a huge miss, as well as Bolaise he will miss 2-3 games, it could be worse i guess... much worse.

----------

Anyway enough of Pre-Season as now the real challenge starts and it could of started of much worse than this, not too bad.

View attachment 192462

Matchday 1-2 / Cup Draw

View attachment 192294

Matchday 1

View attachment 192293

Rather positive start the the season, managed to get back into the game rather quickly after finding ourselves 1-0 down pretty early on. Managed to take the lead for ourselves when Southampton put it in there own net but it was always going to be tough to hold onto, we did however have a two amazing chances at 1-1 and 2-1 up so i cant help but think we could of came out with 3 points but in the end i wont complain with the draw, especially against a very solid Southampton side.

----------

Matchday 2

View attachment 192291

Otherway around this time after taking the lead with a nice team goal after what was a 50/50 game up until this point. Leicester however came out a totally different side in the second half and it really effected us going forward and creating chances, they had a couple more decent chances and probably should of made it at least 3-1 at some stages but my substitutions made an amazing impact especially young Bamford who changed the game really and gave us our first win of the season and what a way to do it haha!

----------

Cup Draw

View attachment 192286

Draw Huddersfield in the Capital one Cup, pretty straight forward draw. (i hope) We should also have Speroni and Bolasie back within the next week or so which should really help out the side.

Matchday 3-4 / Capital One Cup Match and Draw / End of month review

View attachment 192222

Matchday 3

View attachment 192221

Great result to keep up our good start to the season, went behind yet again but bounced back great scoring 5 goals with Watford handing us 2 penalties and a star show from Wickham and Bolasie also returned in this game and set up 3 goals which was brillant, Really nice to see us scoring so many goals and winning this game so convincingly as i have realised very quickly there is no easy games so to win like this felt really good, i wont get used to it though...

----------

Capital One Cup (2nd Rnd)

View attachment 192218

Made 5-6 changes for this game, was very boring with nothing happening first half so went a bit more creative and attacking second half and with the first real chance of the game we scored on a rebound, Huddersfield didnt really threatend us all game with only 2 shots on target until Miller banged one in from around 25-30 yards out and i thought the worst, Super Sub Zaha saved the day though with a nice curled finished in stoppage time to save us the replay and advance through to 3rd Round where we will face...

View attachment 192207

----------

Matchday 4

View attachment 192211

Obviously i knew a defeat was coming sooner rather than later but to loose like this was just really annoying, our captain Jedinak got himself 2 silly yellows inside 25 minutes and it totally changed the game on its head, we edged the first 25 as well and definitely had more goals in us but Stoke just pushed and pushed and it forced me to go more defensive as the game went on but they managed to grab 2 more and secure a rather comfortable win over us... stupid Jedinak...

----------

August Review

View attachment 192204

View attachment 192202

Still super early to have an opinion on our progress, would probably say in the top 12 come the end of the season and ill be happy.

We didn't manage to make more transfers happen like i wanted too as i couldn't find players who suited, we sold Chamakh and brought in Shane long on loan for the season since it wont let me register Michu into the squad (no idea why) planning on offloading Dwight Gayle and Frazier Campbell in January since nobody was interested this time around and i dont see them in my plans so the extra wage budget and transfer money would help me out a lot, im still no 100% sure who else will be leaving yet, time will tell i guess.

View attachment 192198

----------

September Fixtures

View attachment 192197

Some good results and transfers there. Thomas Delaney is another guy I'd look at, but if you're happy with the CM's you have, it mightn't be something you do. He usually does well for me tho.

Some good results and transfers there. Thomas Delaney is another guy I'd look at, but if you're happy with the CM's you have, it mightn't be something you do. He usually does well for me tho.

Thanks mate hopefully the deals are enough! Ah okay i will check him out and have a look, cheers!

I have a couple more updates ready to go but the forum keeps crashing while im typing/uploading pictures and its been happening the last few nights, anyone know how to fix this or is it on there side? cheers!

Matchday 5-6

View attachment 192095

Matchday 5

View attachment 192094

This was always going to be a hard match even at home, we played much better than i expected probably our positive start to the season help the lads kick on and give it there all, Bolasie and Wickham had a great chance each but failed to take it, Rooney's deflected shot landed perfectly for Mata to slide it home. Bit annoyed we came away with 0 points from this but it didn't seem to affect morale to much and there was some positives for sure.

----------

Matchday 6

View attachment 192093

Wow! not sure what happend this game to be honest,(not complaining though)superb game especially after back to back defeats and the fact Liverpool were on fire sitting 1st in the table undefeated, definitely the best performance since i took over and hopefully many more like that this season were we take our chances, Bolasie has been outstanding since returning from his injury and will be key for us this season, i can already tell.

A good start to life at Palace, The reason Michu can not be registered yet is because he was released by Swansea after the transfer window officially closed in real life so he just like Adebayor I think can not be registered until Jan at the earliest

A good start to life at Palace, The reason Michu can not be registered yet is because he was released by Swansea after the transfer window officially closed in real life so he just like Adebayor I think can not be registered until Jan at the earliest

Ah okay nice to know had a feeling i had messed up haha!, bit of a shame cause i dont really need him anymore with Long, Wickham and Bamford so will probably just sell him on. Thanks for letting us know though.

Capital One Cup 3rd Rnd / Matchday 7 / September Review

View attachment 191876

Capital One Cup 3rd Rnd

View attachment 191875

Yet again we concede the first goal that gives us a kick up the *** and it sure did this again smashing 5 past Reading, Bolaise was yet again the star of the show with McArthur also grabbing 2, only downside was Bolasie received a gash leg and will miss the next 2 games or so but overall another good win with the lads scoring plenty of goals, thats 22 goals in 10 games. We draw West ham in the next round. We have been super lucky to have all home draws so far, but im not complaining!

View attachment 191873

----------

Matchday 7

View attachment 191872

Usually for me the 0-0 draws are your typical boring games with nothing happening but this one was quite the opposite, im amazed how this stayed nil nil because both teams were at each others throats the whole game and both keepers put in amazing performances, with it being such a 50/50 games and could of gone either way ill definitely take the draw this time around.

----------

September Review

View attachment 191871

View attachment 191868

Another decent month with some amazing games especially the 4-0 away win to Liverpool was the highlight and Bolasie continuing his red hot form, lets just hope he can get back to action asap and wont miss many games and he will be missed.

----------

October Fixtures

View attachment 191864

Still going strong! as much as I hate that Palace are doing well :p