Darren Trott's Managerial Journey!

• Thread starter Thread starter mask0991
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 272
  • Views Views 53K
View attachment 207141
Tutonda's loan finishes

David Tutonda joined York, on loan from Cardiff before I was appointed manager. His loan deal was till the end of the year 2015. He's just 20 and has got a great potential. Unfortunately, I just couldn't justify extending his loan. First off, this is not the sort of League or club where you have multiple back-up players for one position. Secondly, he didn't quite impress me in the few games he played.

And since I don't know how long I'll stay with York, I didn't want to sign players for the future just yet. So, I decided to let him return to Cardiff.
View attachment 207139

try Rzonca he shoul be in your youth team...he was instrumental on my story...

try Rzonca he shoul be in your youth team...he was instrumental on my story...
Ya, he has good potential. But I doubt he'll get much chances this season. Midfield and left wing are the strongest aspects in my team ATM and it'll be diffiicult to drop any of them in favour of Rzonca. Next season, may be.

View attachment 207127
Yeovil a just below us in the League table and unlike us, are media favourites to be involved in the promotion battle. A couple of changes before we head into this game. I decided to start with a high tempo and try to throw Yeovil off a bit; Oliver is starting ahead of Hyde and Thompson. I promised Oliver some playing time and decided to give him a chance today despite his poor form in front of goal.
Our high tempo football stunned Yeovil. We created 3 chances in the first 7 minutes! The third of them was put away by Coulson. A floated cross from the right wing by Lester was slotted away by Coulson running in from the left flank - this is becoming an important feature in our gameplay!

We had a chance to double our lead minutes later when Oliver was fouled inside the Yeovil box. Coulson stepped up but failed to convert the penalty. It was a good penalty but the Yeovil keeper pulled off an acrobatic save. Oh well! We did, however, control the remainder of the first half as our high tempo football left Yeovil clueless.

View attachment 207117Soon after restart, we doubled our lead. Coulson dribbled past two players and played a lovely ball through to Oliver. The striker used his strength to hold off the defender and coolly finished it. 2-0 it is! I finally asked the players to slow down the tempo a little bit, wary of a Yeovil fightback. To their credit, Yeovil did try to claw their way back but considering our defensive form right now, it'll take more than half-chances to score against us!

We are on an amazing run of form here as we ****** another win! That's 15 unbeaten games in all competitions and 11 unbeaten in the league

View attachment 207118

View attachment 206815
There was quite a bit of drama involved heading into this game. Walsall manager Dean Smith was critical of our pitch and myself. I shrugged it off and decided to focus on the game instead.

We started strongly in defense, which was once again a high priority for me. The strategy was simple - hold tight at the back; and counter through Coulson and Lester on either wing. It worked like clockwork as we took the lead in the 8th minute! Coulson has been magnificent for us and he found space on the left wing, dribbled past two players and played a lovely ball to Oliver. Oliver, getting another start put it away. Alright! 1-0 up after 8 minutes!

Keep going! - I kept signalling from the touchline. We were playing brilliantly through out the half. But seconds before the break, Ilesmani dabbled on the ball a bit too long inside our box and allowed a Walsall player to nick the ball off him. Two passes later, they equalized. HE SHOULD HAVE CLEARED. A dumb mistake cost us the goal.

"What the **** were you thinking, you $&@#$%^#," I yelled at Ilesmani. I told the rest to keep up their performance. I told the defense to put up a strong second half show.

View attachment 206814The second half was full of nerves in our camp. Walsall grew
in confidence following their equalizer and pressed us very hard. Our defense which has been rock solid finally started to crumble a bit. We were hanging on by a thread. I made a couple of substitutions to turn things in our favour. It worked for a bit. But Matt Preston, the Walsall defender took advantage of another piece of sloppy defending to convert a corner. I saw the clock - barely 10 mins of play left! And we were 2-1 down. There was only one thing left to do - go all out attack!

91st minute - Coulson released Jake Hyde through on goal. Hyde shoots...the ball thunders against the cross bar. It falls to Coulson, six yards out, surely.....And he slips and skies it. NOOOOO! Right then I knew - there was no comeback for us. And we bowed out of the competition in the 3rd round.

View attachment 206813
Am I disappointed? Well, of course. But I didn't expect us to reach the third round in the first place. Our golden unbeaten run has finally come to an end. While Walsall deserved their win, we have to blame ourselves here. Two sloppy bits of defending allowed Walsall to score two goals.

View attachment 206598
Another League One side! It feels like we've played a lot of league one sides this season. I told my defenders that I expect a better outing than we did against Walsall.

Managers know that feeling when the opening few minutes go exactly as planned and the opposition is pinned down. That's how we started and it didn't take long before we took the lead. It was Vadaine Oliver, who put us ahead with a lovely finish after being played through by Berrett. "We're not letting it slip this time," I told myself.

Just when Shrewsbury were trying to pull one back, our midfield produced some magic. Crisp passing had our opposition all over the park and when Summerfield spotted Lester cutting in from the right flank, they simply couldn't handle it. Lester scored and made it 2-0 in 20 minutes. Dream start this!!

It became even merrier 10 minutes later when Coulson made it 3-0. Nolan crossed into the box and Coulson was making a run to the far post, like he has been doing all season. Lovely cross, easy tap-in, brilliant scoreline! 3-0 in 30 minutes. Shrewsbury were torn apart.

I told the players to keep up the good play. It was a brilliant half so far.

7 minutes into the second half, this happened.
[video=youtube;GIhScBidTdk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIhScBidTdk[/video]
Now, this was the best of the lot. While all our goals were really well created, this one takes the cake. Patient passing move involving everyone but two outfield players was the driving force behind this goal. Summerfield, who has been brilliant all evening deservedly got his goal. 4-0 in 53 minutes!!

There was no comeback for Shrewsbury. We pulled off quite a few upsets this season but this has to be the biggest one. A 4 goal advantage heading to the second tie is perfect!!

View attachment 206590

View attachment 206447
Vadaine Oliver

View attachment 206446About 3 months back, Oliver came to me asking for first
team football. But Hyde and Thompson were in good form and I told Oliver it would be difficult to include him in my first team plans. I did, however, promise that he'd get a few chances.

With Jake Hyde's form dipping in the last few weeks and Reece Thompson picking up an injury, Oliver got his opportunity. And he made sure to capitalize. He has scored in all of our last 3 goals, and his performance on the pitch has impressed.

With his promise deadline approaching, I was a bit nervous. I only recently started playing him in the first team and wasn't sure if it was enough. But by assistant Torpey mentioned to me that it was enough....
View attachment 206440
I hope Hyde and Thompson don't come running to me about lack of chances now.

View attachment 206396
Same team as the one that won 4-0 against Shrewsbury. I encouraged the lads to paly with higher tempo than normal.

The first few minutes were electrifying. The ball moved from one end to the other in a matter of seconds. Both teams wanted to score first and put pressure on the opposition. In the 4th minute, Newport launched a promising attack. I was worried about conceding. A long ball found the run of Liam Agnew, who headed it first time towards goal. Luckily, he headed it straight towards our keeper Flinders. But Flinders suffered a case of butter fingers as he let the ball slip through his grip, into the goal. A disappointing way to go behind!

But we made amends soon. A counter attack, with Coulson at the heart of it saw us create a glorious 3v1 opportunity against a Newport defender. We simply had to score from there, and Berrett made sure of it. A well-deserved equalizer.

After such an electrifying opening to the game, the intensity exponentially decreased as the game went on. The final moments rarely produced any significant moments besides one header by Oliver that deflected off the post.

1-1 at the final whistle. A bit disappointed with the low intensity the game ended with, but given the tired legs on our side, I wasn't harsh on the players.

View attachment 206393

View attachment 206251
I went into this game hoping for a win, and encouraged the players to try hard for a positive result. Frankly speaking, this game started very very very very....VERY slowly. It took 26 minutes for the first 'decent' chance of the game. It irked me....a lot. Exeter weren't exactly parking the bus. The lads just didn't feel like attacking. Exeter weren't exactly looking to score either. It was an extremely dull first half - I can't emphasize the word extremely enough.

At half time, I questioned the boys' motivation. I was so close to kicking their behinds to give them a spark.

Sometimes, nothing can save a boring match. I even gave up on any tiny hopes I had of one special moment. Nope. This was a game to forget. What a bore draw. There were only 8 attempted shots in the whole game! And this was the same team that produced a classy performance and tore Shrewsbury to shreds....unbelievable!

View attachment 206248

Last edited:
View attachment 206123
You're out, Sinclair

Emile Sinclair has complained quite a bit over the last few weeks about his lack of first team football. I just couldn't find a place for him and his form is not at all consistent. I told him I'd try to arrange a transfer or a loan but neither worked. While I love the tactical aspects of a manager, these sort of things bore me.

Last week, assistant manager Torpey told that Sinclair would be willing for a mutual termination of his contract. "Give me a week, I'll think about it," I told then.

Yesterday, I took my decision and agreed to a mutual termination. But he backed out in the last minute. He mumbled something about the compensation not being enough and that we are trying to force him out. WTF! He was open to transfer or loan, and just last week agreed to a mutual termination. His behaviour during training has been quite....childish, for lack of a better word.

Enough is enough. It really irked me. I approached the director of football and told to release him for free. I'd rather pay a one-time compensation and get rid of him than playing him regular wages and seeing an uninterested player in the training everyday!

Sinclair joined us in January 2015, and he'll leave after being at the club for just over an year.
View attachment 206124

View attachment 205682
Carlisle are expected to finish around 14th spot. But they are currently sitting 17th and their recent form has been dreadful, to say the least. They only managed to get 6 points in their last 7 games! But their last game was an away win and this is played at their home, Brunton Park. I was cautious.

View attachment 205678"Hold onto the ball." That was the main theme behind the tactic we
adapted for this game. We failed to see a lot of the ball, and thus failed to create opportunities in the last two games - so, I wanted to rectify that. It did help us as Carlisle were pushed back a lot, and didn't really put us under pressure. It took us till the end of first half to go ahead. Lester's freekick from the right wing found an unmarked Anthony Straker at the far post, who made no error in heading home the opener.

That goal made my half time teamtalk easy. Within 10 mins after restart, Straker was involved in the action yet again. Scorer turned provider this time, as Straker's floated cross was volleyed home by Vadaine Oliver, who continued him impressive goal scoring form.

Carlisle briefly attacked after Oliver's goal but our defense stood solid and held its own. We got a penalty in the 85th minute but Summerfield didn't take it well, allowing for an easy save. In hindsight, it was for good as the penalty was a dubious decision to begin with.

We came away with 3 points after what felt like a good performance. Straker, who is demanding an improved contract came up with a great performance today. May be its time to rethink his contract situation?

View attachment 205681

View attachment 205668
We went into the second leg on the back of a fantastic 4-0 home victory. As long as we don't capitulate, we should book the Wembley trip! Still, an away game against a League One side brought the defensive minded tactician in me.

To my pleasant surprise, we were the better side for the first 20 minutes. We hit the post once and made very good use of the ball. But it was Shrewsbury who took the lead in the 31st minute when Tyrone Barnett found some space inside our box. Was it poor defending on our part? Or was Barnett's poacher instincts too good? It didn't matter as Shrewsbury suddenly had a glimmer of hope.

But that goal didn't change the broader aspect of the game. We were still controlling the game - dominating possession and creating chances. In fact, for about 75 minutes of the game, we were easily the superior side and came close to equalizing several times.

But then a Shrewsbury midfielder unleashed a 30 yard shot that thundered against the cross bar. Holy! A much needed wake-up call just when it seemed like we were taking the game a bit too casually. For the last 10 minutes, Shrewsbury tried their best to mount a comeback but the deficit was too much for them to reduce. We lost the game despite our dominance, but won the tie over two legs.
View attachment 205666
Wembley, here we come!

View attachment 205667

Last edited:
View attachment 205664
All right! It'll be another League One side we'll face in the final. Regardless of what happens in the game, this'll be a wonderful experience for the lads. Over 3/4ths of the squad hasn't played in Wembley and this'll be a chance for the boys!

View attachment 205663
All the tactics for the game are set. I believe we have the right tactic to get a result against Stevenage. Stevenage are.......

*incoming message*
View attachment 205662
Ooookaaaay. That happened. It has been raining very heavily the last couple of days but I didn't expect the pitch to deteriorate that badly. With this game postponed, it'll give everyone here a long gap between games. Well...I guess today is an day off for everyone.

Training will resume as usual tomorrow, provided the training pitch isn't waterlogged too!

Last edited:
Back