Darren Trott's Managerial Journey!

• Thread starter Thread starter mask0991
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 272
  • Views Views 53K
View attachment 205476
Our away form has been the best in the League this season and I wanted that to continue with this match. Northampton's narrow formation helps our wing-focused gameplay, which we will try to utilize more than usual.

The game got off to a very entertaining start as we created a couple of opportunities in the first 15 minutes. Reece Thompson, who started ahead of Oliver and Hyde put us ahead in the 20th minute. It was an audacious effort that paid off. Great goal, and a great start.
[video=youtube;KKvtFDjTnoU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKvtFDjTnoU[/video]
In the next 15-20 mins, we were all over Northampton. Thompson had 4 opportunities or so, after his goal. He should've put away atleast two of them. But we went into half-time with a slim one goal lead, when it could've been more.

And all those misses came back to haunt us as the home side equalized from a corner. We failed to clear the corner well and the ball fell to Moloney who drilled the ball through the crowded penalty area. It somehow found its way past the line. Northampton grew in confidence after the goal and pushed us back a bit. Thankfully, a lot of touchline yelling and motivation made sure we didn't lose confidence and stopped them from scoring.

After an entertaining start, our strike force went AWOL and we ended the game with a draw. If only Thompson took his chances in the first half...but I can forgive him because of the wonderful goal he scored today.
View attachment 205475

View attachment 205361
The match that was postponed due to waterlogged pitch is finally here. The preparation for this game was rather quick as I had watched Stevenage's playstyle and studied their tactics already for the game two weeks ago. A win would push us into the top three, which is what I told to motivate the players.

I couldn't have wished for a better start to this game. Chris Lester went on a speedy run, taking on a couple of defenders and covered more than half the length of the field before crossing for Oliver making a run. Oliver smashed home a volley - what a brilliant goal! Given Oliver's recent form, this must be easy for him.
[video=youtube;3H0mW2CNszg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H0mW2CNszg[/video]

Russ Penn and Mark hughes got into a heated fight around the 15 minute mark, and the referee decided to book them both and calm the situation. We continued to outplay Stevenage in the first half. Their best chance came from a corner but it took over 40 minutes for that.

Stevenage tried to inject some urgency into the game in the second half but outside of a 10 minute spell around the hour mark, the game ended up being very comfortable for us. And a comfortable 3 points in the bag!

View attachment 205358

13th February 2016

View attachment 205285Bootham Crescent hasn't been in very good condition since yesterday morning. Excessive rains have made it difficult to make a simple pass without the ball getting stopped by puddles of water. The groundsmen have been working hard to make it playable but with just few hours left before the start of the match, the officials came to the conclusion that it would be unwise to continue....

View attachment 205282

Just had a good read through mate and layout is wonderful. A decent job offer in the summer??

Just had a good read through mate and layout is wonderful. A decent job offer in the summer??
Thanks for the read. A job switch in the summer was my initial plan as I wasn't sure of promotion. But now that promotion is on the cards, I may stick around.

View attachment 205216
Like York, it has been raining pretty heavily in Cambridge too. They are having to deal with their own issues of postponing games. Thankfully, our game went forward as scheduled, but the pitch is very damp! Direct passing is the way to go! I opted a 4231-wide formation instead of the 4123-DM one.

We went with the direct approach hoping to catch the Cambridge defense off guard. But Gary Miller, the U's boss was smart and set his defense to counter our strategy. Cambridge repelled every attack of ours in the first half. We simply couldn't find a way past the Cambridge defense. Vadaine Oliver, who has been in great form off late with 5 goals in 7 games was having an uncharacteristically bad day. He is simply not as effective in a 4231 tactic as he is in a 4123 one.

Oliver's poor outing finally made me bring on Jake Hyde in his place, in the 69th minute. Jake Hyde has a statement to prove - his recent form has come under heavy criticism from just about everyone. Our own fans have expressed concerns about his goal drought.
View attachment 205212
And he did produce the goods! Merely 4 minutes after being brought on, Hyde found some space outside the box and unleashed a scorcher. From 20 yards out, a beautiful finish. The ferocity behind that shot clearly showed how frustrated he has been with his own form. Alright! 1-0 after 73 minutes.

Judging by Cambridge's body language, it felt like they wanted to play for a draw. They brought on a couple of fresh legs in attack, but I brought on an additional defender and nullified their threat.

The last 10 minutes were a touch nervous, but Jeff Hughes' red card in the closing moments turned the tide in our favour. Another unbeaten game, and the run continues! I am delighted that Hyde scored and ended his goal drought.

View attachment 205211

Master stroke bringing on Hyde mate! Always makes you feel good when stuff like that happens! :D

View attachment 205210
Back home for this encounter where it's still raining. Thankfully, it was just drizzling and didn't really influence my tactics. This was a big clash - 4th (us) vs 5th (Notts), and given that we were over performing this season, Notts County were favourites!

Despite Hyde's heroics in the last game, I started with Oliver.

View attachment 205207What's the best way to silence the critics? Score early
after dominating start! When we won a freekick on the right wing, Berrett floated one into the box trying to find Oliver. The striker used his strength to get past his marker and smashed home a volley. Lovely control on the finish! 1-0.

Oliver's presence was proving to be a thorn in our opposition's defense and his constant movement won us a penalty in the 26th minute. Coulson stepped up, and scored! 2-0, woohoo! But the two goal lead was short lived as McCombe gave away a penalty to the away side, allowing them to halve the lead. That was .... a dubious call! That goal uplifted The Magpies, who finished the first half strongly.

"We may be leading, but don't get complacent. Keep your concentration up and win it!," I said at half time.

Oliver wasn't finished. Berrett robbed the Notts midfield of the ball and played it through to Oliver. It was a tight angle for the striker but he scored with ease. That sums up the form he is in - two chances, two goals! With our 2 goal lead restored, we played with more authority and Notts County couldn't find a way through.

Then, something crazy happened. Russ Penn suddenly decided to show the bad side of the game. With Notts Co. barely pressing us, Penn decided to lunge into a reckless tackle with studs showing up. As dumb as it can get - and this fellow is the captain of the club. FFS! He got rightfully sent off for that horror. I gave him a cold look as he came off. This wasn't over. No fkn way.
View attachment 205206

But thankfully, the rest of the side stood strong and ensured we didn't suffer any hiccups as we approached the finish line. So, 3-1 it is, and we conceded a penalty when it shouldn't have been. Oh well, but the red card ****** me off big time!

View attachment 205209

View attachment 205205
The League Table

View attachment 205204
With 14 games left, we are in 3rd position and are currently on a 17 game unbeaten run in the league. Given the 10 point gap between 3rd and 8th, I think we are in good position to either gain automatic promotion or atleast qualify for the playoffs.

Our defensive record is the best in the league, which is excellent considering it was one of the worst after the first 10 games or so. Our away form is the best in the league, which is another plus point. Our home form, while not the best could use some improvement.

amazing mate....i don't think you'll win the league automatic promotion for sure...and in response to a previous post...don't leave build york up as far as you can

Fantastic season so far mate, your well on for a promotion/JPT double! You'll have interest from higher clubs in the summer I'm sure!

amazing mate....i don't think you'll win the league automatic promotion for sure...and in response to a previous post...don't leave build york up as far as you can
I'll definitely stay if we secure promotion. I am confident of promotion, so I am not thinking about the 'if not' scenario. :P

Fantastic season so far mate, your well on for a promotion/JPT double! You'll have interest from higher clubs in the summer I'm sure!
Cheers! The summer could prove to be interesting but a promotion will see me stay at York. :)

View attachment 205011
Russ Penn

I'm not sure what to do about this fellow. While Oliver may be banging in the goals, and our back four are getting a lot of praise for our good defensive form, Russ Penn is the unsung hero in our side. He serves as the first line of defense, providing cover for our back four and allows the more creative midfielders and wingers to express themselves. But everynow and then, he goes off his rocker and gets a red card.

3 red cards this season already!
I warned him the first time, slapped a fine on him the second time. This time, I decided to fine 2 weeks wages again. I also had a personal chat with him - it was more of a rant from me. I am pretty sure I used up all the expletives I know during that rant, and made-up a few as well. He's going to be missing two games, which are against Luton (10th) and Oxford (1st).
View attachment 205007

View attachment 205000
Injuries

As if Penn's suspension wasn't bad news enough, wingers Lester and Coulson picked up injuries that'll keep them out for a few days. With Carson already on the injury list, this leaves me with no right winger available. The game against Luton tomorrow will be a real test of our squad depth.
View attachment 204999

View attachment 204994
Luton's front two are speedy - well, considering the speed of our defenders, they are probably lightning fast. Paddy McCourt, who plays the no. 10 role is technically good. This is going to be a tough game, especially with so many players out. I'm going with Marvin McCoy, an attacking fullback on the right wing. Let's hope he is up for it.

Russ Penn's absence was sorely felt when Nathan Doyle put Luton ahead in the 11th minute. The ease with which the ball found its way past our midfield and defense was appalling.

But the very first move after restart, we equalized. McCoy filled the right winger position brilliantly as he took on a defender and crossed for Oliver to score. Another volley by Oliver, who is making these look easy. And another goal came soon after the restart. A Luton corner was badly dealt by us, and allowed Luton to go 2-1 up.
View attachment 204973
From 0-0 to 1-2 in 3 minutes. This game was off to a thrilling start. Things went from bad to worse when Kusunga doubled Luton's lead as he pounced on a goal keeping error by Flinders. Flinders came out to collect the corner but was not fast enough! 3-1 down. This is not good.

I was telling the players to push forward and play without fear. We piled on the pressure a bit and Berrett pulled one back in the 32nd minute. From just inside the box, Berrett placed a lovely shot into the bottom corner. A way back in.

With both teams playing for the half time whistle, Luton defense got sloppy and conceded a penalty. Berrett finished what he started and converted the penalty. 3-3, great comeback!

We can win this - all you need to do is keep going. The halftime team talk was a simple motivational speech.

To say that Luton started brightly in the second half would be a massive understatement. We were battered left, right and center. How we were still level in the 78th minute was a surprise. McCourt had a one on one opportunity and he scuffed it.

That's all the warning sign we needed. The defense came to its sense after that and kept tabs on the Luton attack. We managed to get a point from that game after going 3-1 down. Considering how well Luton played in the second half, we were lucky to get away with a draw. VERY LUCKY!

View attachment 204988

View attachment 204678
From bad to worse

With Russ Penn about to return from suspension, the FA decided to take further action on his tackle, and suspension.
View attachment 204677
This is really frustrating. While that was a rubbish tackle, I'm not so sure about 4 match ban. I tried appealing against the ban, even though my instinct said it wouldn't happen. And my instinct was right. Penn will miss two more games during this crucial period.
View attachment 204676

Back