Database Editing Competition Ideas for FM11

tiraths

Saving the World
Reaction score
Some ideas have been floating around with the editing section regulars on how to go about making fun and yet still competitive competitions. Similar to the Graphics section, I want to hear your views and possible ideas.

If you have any ideas, post them, and I'm sure some of the keen editors will put forward their views on it.

RULES

1 - Give info on how the comp will function(rounds etc)
2 - No arguments. Anyone that starts one will be dealt with.
3 - Stay on topic.

Thank You

Firstly... Legend (H)

ok, well you already know about my Editing Championship idea

i think its a good idea because it gives clear timetable to when comp deadlines are and when results should be posted - and the ongoing points system encourage people to come back and compete month after month. People can settle for just being Editor of the month if they're lucky to win one month and the more competitive can keep getting points consistantly for the big one - Editing Champion 2011!!

Alcaraz said he could supply ideas for the monthly challenges and he and Nick Main said they would Judge - I think a third Judge would help, which is open for you but you werent sure last time we spoke - its cool if you dont want to, its not a problem finding somebody else :)

I like Trivaldo's Idea of a monthly Editing Comp leading into Editor of the Year but instead of having only three judges I would suggest opening the voting up to members of FM Base like the current FM stories thread with a Points system similar to the F1 ie 25 for 1st 18 for 2nd etc.

Each entry would upload their Db to the Comps Thread with a brief description and 1 week later the Voting thread would open for a 1 or 2 week period for FM Basers to Vote. While the Voting is going on the next challenge could be set allowing for the threads to be pretty much in the recent threads panel all the time.

FM Basers could also put forward thier suggestions for future challanges thus not leaving it to just 3 people to come up with ideas.

I would like to see Tirath be the Overlord of the competition/Threads as he is the Editing moderator and a well respected member of FM Base allowing Alcarez and Nick Main to enter the Competitions as I want to be able to go up against the best.

pretty nice blueprint Psycho1970, but if I'm honest, we definetly need a lot more members to start out in editing, as there are only a handful around tbh. maybe the challenges could go up in difficulty week by week, thus encouraging new editors to find out about editing, and then getting their confidence up when the challenges get harder, and then the new editors finally become known for their work?

Sorry mate as we can see Tiraths is unable to judge as He wont have access to FM11 and as I already have thought up quite a few ideas for the Editing Comp I can judge and Nick Main can participate if he likes too... really I am not too fussy about participating unless we can find another Judge who is also willing to think up ideas every month

If its done as a voting system all editors can participate and Tirath can just moderate (open close threads/ announce winners and select new challenges which the community would hopefully help with coming up with the ideas, and Trivaldos ideas are ideal as if someone doesn't have time one month to enter/complete challenge then its no big deal they've still got a chance to compete for title in future challenges.

As for Nick Mains idea of progressive challenges I think that it would be too easy for the more experienced Editors, but if we had a junior version with 3 experienced editors as judges and then at the end the winners from each comp go head to head in a final challenge for a Cup Winners Cup again voted by FM Basers.

Sorry mate as we can see Tiraths is unable to judge as He wont have access to FM11 and as I already have thought up quite a few ideas for the Editing Comp I can judge and Nick Main can participate if he likes too... really I am not too fussy about participating unless we can find another Judge who is also willing to think up ideas every month

I will have FM11, just won't have much time cus of university (K)

I will have FM11, just won't have much time cus of university (K)

oh right either way it does not change the problem

---------- Post added at 12:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 AM ----------

If its done as a voting system all editors can participate and Tirath can just moderate (open close threads/ announce winners and select new challenges which the community would hopefully help with coming up with the ideas, and Trivaldos ideas are ideal as if someone doesn't have time one month to enter/complete challenge then its no big deal they've still got a chance to compete for title in future challenges.

As for Nick Mains idea of progressive challenges I think that it would be too easy for the more experienced Editors, but if we had a junior version with 3 experienced editors as judges and then at the end the winners from each comp go head to head in a final challenge for a Cup Winners Cup again voted by FM Basers.

I dont mind overseeing the running of the comp myself as I have said before I am not too keen on competing every month really just to ge beaten by you lot :)..... Either way whichever way you guys find best to run the comp but truth be told I can hardly see 2 many people voting on the Databases without playing on em first and I dount most of them will play it

Yeah voting won't work as well as it does for the kits competitions. It's too much effort for people to download and have a play around with 3/4+ databases. Judges should be the main way for databases to be assessed.

Maybe, it could be a knock-out cup, with some of the more experienced editors, to get byes to the later rounds, when it steps up or something.

However, I think a junior editing challenge would be very good with a few experienced judges, but as tiraths is doing uni, it will be hard to find 3 at most :S

Maybe, it could be a knock-out cup, with some of the more experienced editors, to get byes to the later rounds, when it steps up or something.

However, I think a junior editing challenge would be very good with a few experienced judges, but as tiraths is doing uni, it will be hard to find 3 at most :S

yeh i think the junior editing challenge is a good idea for the newer editers like me

Very interested in trying this out. I've got a few ideas for databases so looking forward to it beginning

i have to say i agree with tiraths/alcaraz about the voting system not being a great option - in an ideal world we would have loads of people willing to download the entrant DBs and play them all... but i really don't think a lot of people would have the time, not the same as looking for a few seconds at couple of pretty kits, and if they were to vote they would need to test them all for it to be a fair vote - timewise i don't think its possible which is why the judges system is probably better beacause there are one or two people committed to testing the dbs

The Junior comp idea i do like. i think it would be like them having a mentor, the mentors give the juniors editing tips and knowledge so they can make ever increasingly complex dbs - use the same judge thing and you could have title of 'junior editor of the month', its looks good and people would start to recognise the juniors editing abilities - more editors in the long run can only be a benefit :)

EDIT: love the sig btw nick (H)

Last edited:
I really like the idea of having mentors. Personally. I'd be happy to help someone and hopefully some of the other guys in here would aswell. If we bring through a few guys who become confident on the data editor it will help the editing section with people like Triv, Alcaraz etc getting more help to make the more demanding/time consuming databases.

yeh i'd be happy to mentor (H)

id be up for the junior editing thing :)
i think the mentor idea would be great and would definatley help people to develop

I would be happy to mentor or to be a judge for the junior editing comp:)

id be up for the junior editing thing :)
i think the mentor idea would be great and would definatley help people to develop
this is good, some interest already :)
once we have an idea of how many mentors there are then we could post a thread searching for x amount of juniors (H) this could be fun

this is good, some interest already :)
once we have an idea of how many mentors there are then we could post a thread searching for x amount of juniors (H) this could be fun

If there are lots of juniors wanting to join we could have 2/3 juniors for each mentor maybe.