Deep 4-4-2 Counter Tactic: Huge Underdog Success (Patch 14.1.4)

seanhrfc

Reaction score
The Tactic

View attachment 447886

The tactic was built on from my Arrigo Sacchi Tactic and has its similarities, however it plays in a completely different way. The aim is to soak up the opposition pressure leading to either a frustrated long shot or winning the ball leading to a swift counter. The ball is played to the flanks who will either play through balls to the advanced forward or look to get to the byline to cross to the target man.

GK - Just a normal keeper who also has the ability to sweep where needed
DR / DL - The wide areas are about the only place the opposition could exploit in attack - pacey full backs with good defensive attributes (Tackling, Positioning, Marking, Concentration, Anticipation, Decisions) will help cut this threat out. Crossing ability is a bonus as it provides another way of delivering quality balls to the TM.
DCs - You're looking for two players who can dominate at the back with quality defensive attributes (As above) as well as in the air (Jumping, Strength, Heading). I'd look for 12+ Pace and Acceleration and ball playing abilities are a non-essential bonus.
DMs - These guys have the relentless role of closing down all the attacks through the middle, protecting the centre backs. As such, great defensive attributes are needed as well as Work Rate and Stamina. Creative abilities are a bonus but not at expense for defensive quality. Expect a lot of yellow cards in this area so be sure to have 4/5 DMs you can rotate with substitutions.
MR / ML - The most important role the wingers play is the delivery to the Target Man. They must have good Crossing & Technique accompanied by Dribbling, Pace, Acceleration to get to the byline. Creativity and Intelligence will aid this (Passing, Creativity, Flair, Decisions, Off The Ball, Anticipation) and Defensive abilities are desired but not essential.
Target Man - This is the key man! He must be able to dominate the centre backs so first and foremost must have great Jumping and Strength. Accompanying this are Finishing, Composure, Heading, Anticipation, Off The Ball to allow him to get the goals. Pace and Creative ability are desired but not essential.
Advanced Forward - Adds a different alternative to the attack as he will move into the channels to receive through balls from the Wingers. All Advanced forward stats shown in game are important for this role.

Results
View attachment 447889View attachment 447888View attachment 447891View attachment 447887View attachment 447890

As you can see I've achieved huge underdog success with Crystal Palace, winning the Premier League first season along with the bonus of winning the League Cup. Take a look at the player stats which will give you a good idea of how the tactic works.

Strategy

I always start with the Attacking strategy unless I am a huge underdog away from home where I'd sure Counter. If I am winning by 2 goals at 60 minutes, I switch to Counter. If I am winning by 1 goal or would settle for a draw at 75 minutes, I switch to counter.

Training

Get the tactic fluid by working on full match preparation pre-season on Tactics only. Be sure to have a copy of the tactic with Counter strategy to get familiar with that also. Once competitive matches come about, switch to Defensive Positioning.

Opposition Instructions

Left to a trustworthy Assistant with good Tactical Knowledge

**That's about it, I'm having some problems formatting with my awful laptop but I will neaten this up when I am able to. Hope you enjoy the tactic and all feedback/screenshots welcomed and appreciated**​

OMG !!! a tactic for my beloved piece of **** team crystal palace, finally, good job man, going to test it right a way

I am astounded by that success.

Well done and needless to say I will give this a try tonight

I certainly like the soak it up and counter them effect.

I've had a lot of fun with this save, was just going to be a testing season but I'm definitely carrying on now. Been given a whopping 34m transfer budget, going to build a great squad hopefully.

Will give it a try with Cambridge City, relegation candidate #1 :D
If I like it I might post some screenshots ;)

great tactic..trying with napoli..won my first game 7-0 against genoa..

Brought Mandzukic in the January transfer window, to play in the TM role. 1st game against Man.U he have an average exhibition. 2nd game, away at Stoke, he made 2 goals and contribute a lot for the victory and team play. The Premier League matches where I'll use this approach will be great to see with him scoring goals for fun haha.
Shame that he isn't available for the Champions League but if I stay one more year he'll be vital.

I must say best tactic so far..u let me enjoy the game back after patch.;)

Hi Sean,training and match prep how do you set?
thanks very much

This is a fantastic Tactic. I'm currently playing as Aston Villa and i'm top of the league after 7 games. (unbeaten in the league with 5 wins and 2 draws including wins over Tottenham and Liverpool) This tactic is just so lethal when you switch from attacking to counter with my Aston villa team. Anyway great tactic and i'll post screenshots half way through the season.

Z

Best FM tactic for underdogs. I win championship whit this and now I am in PL. The board is verry happy . :)
sry 4 my poor english. ;)

Last edited: