city4lyf

Reaction score
I was just wondering what this role actually was used for and what attributes a good director of football has. Also does anyone have any good experiences with anyone so far?

I would say adaptability if they are foreign, also that they share a similar philosophy to you in terms of tactics. Then I would say just as you would judge a scout high attributes in judging ability. Determination might then help with negotiations.

I have Eric Cantona at the moment and he has signed a few decent players for my Rangers team SD2 and also signed Salgado in SD3 before the embargo was put on!

I would say Man Management is probably the most important stat.

Why would man management matter per say? The DOF has no direct involvement in that area.

Their main role is to negotiate transfers (with other managers & directors) and to negotiate contracts with players. IMO, that's man management.

Their main role is to negotiate transfers (with other managers & directors) and to negotiate contracts with players. IMO, that's man management.

Yeah I see but man management is more to do with the management of a squad of players, when they say Ferguson is a good man manager they mean he is good at managing a squad not good at dealing with contracts (most of which is left to directors anyway) but i suppose being good in all areas is a bonus.

I'm looking for one, with my St. Johnstone... Proper want Didi Hamann

If you hire and DOF, you dont get to negotiate player contracts, and buy players?
And does he make realistic transfer offers/ contract offers?

I would never hire a director of football! negotiating contracts etc is one of the main parts of the game.. I do everything myself (as in life) as its then done properly!

If you hire and DOF, you dont get to negotiate player contracts, and buy players?
And does he make realistic transfer offers/ contract offers?

You can if you want to, but what's the point in hiring a DOF if you want to buy players yourself?

Basically, you can set a list of targets for him to go after.. You put them in order of who you want the most, you can also set a maximum bid. But if you leave the DOF to their own devices they are generally ***** and try to find you terrible players in positions that you already have cover for.. i.e My DOF at Liverpool was trying to buy me Zuniga for £12m? Right.

They are good if you want your DOF to chase your targets because you CBA but if you're expecting them to uncover great talents and offer excellent contracts, better stick to doing it yourself.

that is quite a cool part of it though, setting priorities! I assume they will be better "tuned" when the full game comes out as scouting Zuniga for £12m sounds like a bug to me :p

contracts are the main thing.. they offer way too much (when board offers and your assistant manager if you set him to do it in team policy on Fm12) they offer what the player wants without negotiating and you end up taking someone like Rafael from a 15k a week salary to a 65k a week salary where as if I do it, I get him down to about 32k a week...

I'm Arsenal on my game and hired a DOF. He signed Enrique from Liverpool for 6mill ! :) but he did manage to sign a young french left winger from real socoidad for 10 mill steal ! They do go for some weird players for ridicules prices... well i don't really like spending over 10m for one player. Because i have 30 mill transfer he goes for expensive players. Sorry for bad spelling...

I'm Arsenal on my game and hired a DOF. He signed Enrique from Liverpool for 6mill ! :) but he did manage to sign a young french left winger from real socoidad for 10 mill steal ! They do go for some weird players for ridicules prices... well i don't really like spending over 10m for one player. Because i have 30 mill transfer he goes for expensive players. Sorry for bad spelling...

spelling is better than most native English members mate :p

well if you talking about Griezmann then that is a steal to be honest and Enrique for that price.. sounds like they can actually do the job that is required of them!

can you approach ANYONE to be a DoF or are there only DoF's?

i.e: take Valdir De Moraes for eg: he is a great Assistant Manager, however, you can also offer him the job of coach and first team coach etc.. can you offer any coach in the game the DoF role?

spelling is better than most native English members mate :p

well if you talking about Griezmann then that is a steal to be honest and Enrique for that price.. sounds like they can actually do the job that is required of them!

can you approach ANYONE to be a DoF or are there only DoF's?

i.e: take Valdir De Moraes for eg: he is a great Assistant Manager, however, you can also offer him the job of coach and first team coach etc.. can you offer any coach in the game the DoF role?

Yeah you can approach anyone, Steve Kean is at Dundee united in my game as DOF. I currently have Cantona and he has not been to bad. I still however go off and sign my own players, he is a nice to have and if he finds decent players its a bonus

I think you Can ask anyone mate :) scouts,coaches so on... i got the guy from middlesbough parnaby ? i signed a few players myself i have them mainly to get rid of all the deadwood that's at arsenal. I just like to see who they think i should get, he came up with some random turkish midfielder dermck or somthing hes stats were really good but didnt speak english so i cancelled his bid in the end

I think you Can ask anyone mate :) scouts,coaches so on... i got the guy from middlesbough parnaby ? i signed a few players myself i have them mainly to get rid of all the deadwood that's at arsenal. I just like to see who they think i should get, he came up with some random turkish midfielder dermck or somthing hes stats were really good but didnt speak english so i cancelled his bid in the end

lol, thats not a good reason... haaha!

Inan is also quality as should Necip Uysal

Sorry haha i didnt mean it like that ! :) Just that he wouldnt gel well with the rest of the team.

he would after 4-6 months usually :)

what I was saying that that is not a reason not to buy a good player.. its a tad fickle..

Director of football, lol, i hired one, so far only bought one player and most of the time fails in his contract dealings
, i have more success, than him, leave him to tidy up contracts and loaning my young players out/selling transfer listed ones. Hope he gets better or he's sacked and bring in replacement. ;)

So what else does he do, is this just a better replacement for "ask board to sign a player" ??

Steve