Do Player Stats REALLY make as much of a difference as we think?

wrong.
Have you ever had a player single handedly win you a game? When the rest of your team was playing awful, against a team who was playing well, without getting assists?
Doubt.

I've had Hazard, Rooney, Giggs, Hernandez do it for me frequently. I was 2-0 down to Arsenal after 65 minutes once, poor performance all around. Hazard runs from the middle past 3 defenders and smashes it past Akinfeev in style. He then destroys the left wing in the remaining time to set Hernandez up for two easy tap ins, and I win 3-2. Pretty much every club has "go too" men that they look for to do something special to grab something from the game. Gerrard for Liverpool. Rooney, Giggs, Nani etc. for United. Tevez for City. Drogba for Chelsea. Even lower down the league, Charlie Adam for Blackpool. Parker for West Ham.

I've had Hazard, Rooney, Giggs, Hernandez do it for me frequently. I was 2-0 down to Arsenal after 65 minutes once, poor performance all around. Hazard runs from the middle past 3 defenders and smashes it past Akinfeev in style. He then destroys the left wing in the remaining time to set Hernandez up for two easy tap ins, and I win 3-2. Pretty much every club has "go too" men that they look for to do something special to grab something from the game. Gerrard for Liverpool. Rooney, Giggs, Nani etc. for United. Tevez for City. Drogba for Chelsea. Even lower down the league, Charlie Adam for Blackpool. Parker for West Ham.
eden hazard is an epic go to guy, just immense

wrong.
Have you ever had a player single handedly win you a game? When the rest of your team was playing awful, against a team who was playing well, without getting assists?
Doubt.

You've never signed Yaya Sanogo then?

wrong.
Doubt.

Very unlikely, but not impossible.
This is football that we are talking about.

eden hazard is an epic go to guy, just immense

He is indeed. Had a few games like yours, where I'll rest him for a cup game and I start losing. Bring him on and he just goes insane and solo's the whole opposition pretty much.

Yep. Willian did it a couple of times for for me in a recent save. Dario Conca did it a once before that.

It happens, like it happens in real life.

Willian and Conca are quality. Players you expect to be able to drag you out of a hole.
Your playmaker.
Im assuming they had assists though.

My team lost 3-2 to Obafemi Martins, not birmingham.
And as far as I'm concerned, I'm entitled to a rant.
I love FM. Its the best Management sim going.
And 11 is brilliant. No doubt.

Every player you name that has got you out of a tough sitch is a player you expect to.
Obafemi Martins certainly isn't. For Bham, Hleb and Barry Ferguson are the ones that would IRL.

Ive had players turn game around and pick my team up, but Oba didnt. He did it alone.

Ive never had that.

Last edited:
And to prove it more on a single slant, Simon Church did it for me at Reading, won 4-0 but they had 18 shots and I had 4.

Simon Church (L)

And to prove it more on a single slant, Simon Church did it for me at Reading, won 4-0 but they had 18 shots and I had 4.

Simon Church (L)

This is what I mean.

ONE PLAYER. How often does that happen though?

It'll happen more for the AI than for you.

Willian and Conca are quality. Players you expect to be able to drag you out of a whole.
Your playmaker.

Every player you name that has got you out of a tough sitch is a player you expect to.
Obafemi Martins certainly isn't. For Bham, Hleb and Barry Ferguson are the ones that would IRL.

Ive had players turn game around and pick my team up, but Oba didnt. He did it alone.

Ive never had that.
then go rant on the frustration thread, and make the same mistake again and again, or actually listen to advice and learn from it

---------- Post added at 04:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:52 AM ----------

This is what I mean.

no it wont the ME is the same, dont make stuff up, if you are getting punished then YOUR approach is wrong

make the same mistake again and again, or actually listen to advice and learn from it.

This has happened to me what? 3 or 4 times in total.

It wasn't my tactics. Or my players.

Martins was just ridiculous.

And No-one has actually given advice?

You've all just said. Oh yeah, That sucks.

No-one has actually seen the point except the guy who has man-love for Churchy.

Last edited:
Willian and Conca are quality. Players you expect to be able to drag you out of a whole.
Your playmaker.

Ive never had that.

You said have you ever had any player carry you in a game. You never said we couldn't list "world superstars". And as I say, Charlie Adam in a team that was nailed on as a dead certainty for relegation. Are you as mad at Martins beating your team, than the numerous PL opposition Adam has done it to this season?

Martins is a flair player. I.e. He'll do the unexpected. I.e. He'll turn a game on its head when you least expect it. He's also a pacey and agile little guy. As others said, his mediocre stats in other places combined with his great stats in others make what he did perfectly possible.

---------- Post added at 04:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:55 AM ----------

This is what I mean.

Very few times has the AI actually won the game for them for me. How many times has a player won it for me practically by himself? Many. But I generally aim to buy determined players, and also like to have a fair bit of flair in the side. I also think I'm competent at setting my team out to reduce the chance of one player taking full advantage of his abilities. You have yourself to blame only.

make the same mistake again and again, or actually listen to advice and learn from it.

This has happened to me what? 3 or 4 times in total.

It wasn't my tactics. Or my players.

Martins was just ridiculous.

And No-one has actually given advice?

You've all just said. Oh yeah, That sucks.

No-one has actually seen the point except the guy who has man-love for Churchy.
lol if he did it time and time again then you failed to even get a handle of him, he might have just had blistering game, but even that comes from some error. if you couldnt cope with him, then you should have looked to cut off his supply, stop him before he even gets on the ball, if he was getting inside you, you use OI to show him wide,if he is getting in behind you, drop the d line. closehim down for the long shots, but stay on your feet so he doesnt cut past you

I didnt mean Martins had done it to me more than once.

I had him closed down, this made it worse as he used pace to get round players.
And He wasn't getting any supply, except for the corner.

And Im ****** off as it never seems to be the 'World Beaters' who do it to me.

Its always the Martins', Welbeck, Cleverly type of players, Which goes back to the title of the thread.

Last edited:
A distribution of stats is better than a whole host of high stats. Fazio has fairly low Concentration, which can lead to him napping and caught off guard. Martins is always good in game, as his Flair is huge, which makes him unpredictable, along with his pace, balance and agility.

How did he score from half way if he only got supply from the corner? If you have slow defenders and they were getting skinned as they closed him down, why close him down? Defend deeper, employ one of your CM's to sit on his supply in midfield and give him no time on the ball. Play with an anchorman if you need it.

Its always the Martins', Welbeck, Cleverly type of players, Which goes back to the title of the thread.
then you go deep to stop him getting behind, you stay on your feet so you dont dive in and get beat, did you look at the motivation tab to see if he was fired up? did you look at the analysis to work out hoe they used him to attack you?

Perhaps you underestimate them because you perceive them to be worse than those world class players?

He won the ball off of Mulumbu, Then shot, Carson wasnt even miles off his line, He got back yet it was a belter. And went clean in to the left hand corner.

He won the ball off of Mulumbu, Then shot, Carson wasnt even miles off his line, He got back yet it was a belter. And went clean in to the left hand corner.

Okay. Good shot. It happens. Why are you complaining?

Im carrying it on as people are moaning at me?

I used Martins as an example for the name of the thread...