Do You Consider Genie Scout Cheating?

If the scouting side of FM improved, there would be no need for it. Scouts have "spies" all over the world passing on information to the big clubs - this should be in the game.

For example, you could invest in the scouting network. This would add uncontracted knowledge sources all over the world who would notify your head scout of any potential stars, this could result in the following message "Your head scout Peter Jones has formally written to you to request permission to scout a 16 year old winger named Yanni, Yanni currently plays his football in Slovakia for MSK Zilina, the player has been brought to Jones' attention through local scout Derek Vlatenova" the reponse could then be something like "Send Jones to scout Yanni", "Have scouting team to monitor Yanni for three months", "Watch Players next match", "Decline".

The scouting network could also inform you of other clubs head scouts viewing potential prospects e.g. "Head scout Peter Jones informs you that Chelsea head coach Thomas Peters has been spotted watching Brazil under 20's, it is rumoured that he is assessing the hot prospect Neymar"

Scouts dont wonder round the world aimlessly looking for talent out of thin air, Scouts travel the world on their own accord knowing which tournaments (i.e. south american under 20's) etc to visit. They would also view web rumours about players and investigate accordingly. In other words scouts should tell you where and when they want to go, not the other way round.

Its no more cheating than asking/downloading shortlists, just more detailed n accurate. Makes the game funner for myself.

If the scouting side of FM improved, there would be no need for it. Scouts have "spies" all over the world passing on information to the big clubs - this should be in the game.

For example, you could invest in the scouting network. This would add uncontracted knowledge sources all over the world who would notify your head scout of any potential stars, this could result in the following message "Your head scout Peter Jones has formally written to you to request permission to scout a 16 year old winger named Yanni, Yanni currently plays his football in Slovakia for MSK Zilina, the player has been brought to Jones' attention through local scout Derek Vlatenova" the reponse could then be something like "Send Jones to scout Yanni", "Have scouting team to monitor Yanni for three months", "Watch Players next match", "Decline".

The scouting network could also inform you of other clubs head scouts viewing potential prospects e.g. "Head scout Peter Jones informs you that Chelsea head coach Thomas Peters has been spotted watching Brazil under 20's, it is rumoured that he is assessing the hot prospect Neymar"

Scouts dont wonder round the world aimlessly looking for talent out of thin air, Scouts travel the world on their own accord knowing which tournaments (i.e. south american under 20's) etc to visit. They would also view web rumours about players and investigate accordingly. In other words scouts should tell you where and when they want to go, not the other way round.
I just thought i would say i really like this idea

Its no more cheating than asking/downloading shortlists, just more detailed n accurate. Makes the game funner for myself.
Oh yes it is. You can find newgen players by using it. Also shortlist is no cheating.It gives you information from the editor which is given with football manager.Also genie scout is'mt accurate.I have seen players completing their potential and having attributes 2-3 points more than the scout suggested.If you want to play every save for 5 hours then use it. If you want a fun long game then dont use it.It's a game.

Personally I think we are given too much info as it is. In real life all the managers have to go on is his match statistics, his body language during training and how he fairs on the pitch during match situations. Its quite convenient how we given numerical values telling us that (insert name) has a dribbling (or any other value) of 18 even though we have never seen him dribble with the ball once. For this reason, I think Genie Scout is like playing FM God.

@Tuvra: I think you're onto gold with your scouting idea. I would love to see that introduced in game!

Last edited:
Not cheating, in real life I could go to games and watch a player myself, using my amazing knowledge (;)) to see if he was any good, then there are dvd's, you tube, trials etc, so many tools you could use to see if a player had ability. You don't have these options in FM, so Genie Scout makes up for that lack in my opinion.

i don´t think it is. IRL a manager can watch personally players and get a more accurate opinion on him. For me cheating is repeat games and use fmrte.

In my opinion, it is cheating. In real life, teams will scout players on numerous occasions to see how the player is progressing. In the game, I have found that by doing this over and over again as the months and years go on, the player's potential stars can increase and obviously you can find out alot more about the player, i.e if he will fit into your style of play and can offer more than a curent player can.

*Alex likes this*

No Genie isn't cheating, cheating is a program that substitutes Raikan without paying any money for scouting the best players, hidden gems, etc in the world.

For me Genie = FM Players Dictionary , Raikan = FM Players Teacher

Using genie scout to find regens is definitely cheating.
However, I use genie scout to find decent staff. I used to manually calculate the star ratings of potential trainers - that's pretty stupid and doesn't increase the fun or realism of the game. If you play barcelona or chelsea it's easy to get the best trainers anyway and you won't need genie scout. But for lower league teams it's very hard to find good trainers who are willing to sign for your club - in this case using genie scout is justifiable in my opinion (at least as long as you ignore the PA of the staff)

It is cheating, yes; however, the existing scouting system within the game isn't very good at all.

Cheat away.

its a questiopn odf ethics and morals really in my honest opinion, for example if you like the challenge of scotuinga nd finding players through your own hardwork then genie scout is not for you, but if you cant be asked with all the effort required to be put in researching and scouting then genie is for you, personally speaking i dont like these tools as i find they crash save game folders and they take teh excitement and thrill of finding talents yourself and nurturing them i have signed pretty avergae players before and with the rigfht training, tutoring, team talks and plenty of matches they went from say 2/3 stars to 4/5 stars and i sold em on atb a big profit!

I use it don't really consider it cheating

For real players there's more than likely a thread about anyone you could find on Genie Scout

I do utilise it for regens though, the idea of sending my scouts out and filtering through hundreds of players doesn't interest me, some people it does though.

It is cheating, yes; however, the existing scouting system within the game isn't very good at all.

Cheat away.
spot on, its cheating, but i can see why people do it, FM needs to rework the idea of scouting

However, you can watch other matches if you want, although I never choose to, and you can send a scout to check a competition - to use the same example, if you send a scout to scout the Slovakian league, you'll get a scout saying somthing like "Benoit Thans strongly recommends Zilina's Momodou Ceesay" or something like that. It's not as complete as one may think but it's far from bad.

That said, I've never used genie scout nor fmrte.

Even if you find a player with 170PA using Genie Scout you had never heard of from a team you have never heard of doesn't mean he will turn into a 170CA player anyway, as many posts on this forum testify to. It just means you are less likely to sign a 80PA player instead, which if you use the scouting information you have in game shouldn't happen anyway.

"Cheating: The overt or covert breaking of rules to gain advantage in a competitive situation. The rules infringed may be explicit, or they may be from an unwritten code of conduct based on morality, ethics or custom, making the identification of cheating a subjective process" Taken form a dictionary.

It's up to each person alone to decide for themselves if Genie Scout is giving them an advantage in their game.

I'll go ahead and do a shameless plug; I don't use Genie Scout, I use Scoutmeister. (H)

Cheating.

As it's been said before, the FM scouting isn't very good, but it's in no way realistic that you should be able to know a player's actual potential. Imagine if SAF had access to it IRL if PA/CA worked like it did in FM.

Last edited: