Do you feel proud of your country, when the national anthem plays?

• Thread starter Thread starter Fish Hunter
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 71
  • Views Views 5K
The national anthem? Not really.

Jerusalem? Yes, a million times.

also i do enjoy singing this 'national anthem'
[video=youtube;NWsA5ZBqUC0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWsA5ZBqUC0[/video]

The anthem, no. Proud to be English, yes.

Land of hope and glory would make a better anthem.

Find the national anthem boring as ****. Be better if there was a metal version. Like the Meticalla version of The Imperial March.

Proud to be English. Way aye

Find the national anthem boring as ****. Be better if there was a metal version. Like the Meticalla version of The Imperial March.

I believe the *** Pistols attempted that and it turned out ****. ;)

Not metal but Hendrix did it once, I believe it was at the IOW festival.

I believe the *** Pistols attempted that and it turned out ****. ;)

Ah there's the difference. Pistols were pants. Metallica just kick ***. Well, used to anyway lol

I do love hearing the English national anthem, the grace about listening to it just makes me feel proud to be born and raised in the country. So yes, I do feel proud.

Yes and no! I am South African and I love the Springboks, we all do here and are very proud of them (even though we all hate P Diwwie)

our country is a bit ****** up to be perfectly honest, my gf is wanting to move to Aus (as most Saffa's do) things are gradually getting worse here everyday (litterally everyday) our soccer team sucks ***! our cricket team we also support and are proud of to a certain extent!

This country unfortunately is going downhill and has been for some time, it is such a beautiful country, so much potential, government is just ******* it up for a small majority of us! Even though they promise the majority race hundreds of things, they never deliver on anything, service delivery is appalling, unemployment is currently around the 43% mark!

it's really sad as I do love this country and I wish somehow it could become the country that we all want it to be (well not all) as it sort of is already how some people want it to be!

They are wanting to Nationalize our Mines, Banks etc and that is just going to **** **** up :) but come Sunday morning 10:30am everyone here is going to be United as one as we always do to support the Boks and that is what makes me proud to be a South African...

when reality comes back after the WC etc, things will go back to normal.. but hey, we have always had problems here, Boer war, Apartheid not its pretty much Apartheid again (but the opposite way around)

England is going down pretty much the same track.. Governments are there to make empty promises, that's from personal experience. Our unemployment is sky-high, but they're doing nothing about it!

I don't like England's Anthem tbh.. I have Scottish blood in me, hence the second name 'Copland', and when The flower is played I get chills!

Yes and no! I am South African and I love the Springboks, we all do here and are very proud of them (even though we all hate P Diwwie)

our country is a bit ****** up to be perfectly honest, my gf is wanting to move to Aus (as most Saffa's do) things are gradually getting worse here everyday (litterally everyday) our soccer team sucks ***! our cricket team we also support and are proud of to a certain extent!

This country unfortunately is going downhill and has been for some time, it is such a beautiful country, so much potential, government is just ******* it up for a small majority of us! Even though they promise the majority race hundreds of things, they never deliver on anything, service delivery is appalling, unemployment is currently around the 43% mark!

it's really sad as I do love this country and I wish somehow it could become the country that we all want it to be (well not all) as it sort of is already how some people want it to be!

They are wanting to Nationalize our Mines, Banks etc and that is just going to **** **** up :) but come Sunday morning 10:30am everyone here is going to be United as one as we always do to support the Boks and that is what makes me proud to be a South African...

when reality comes back after the WC etc, things will go back to normal.. but hey, we have always had problems here, Boer war, Apartheid not its pretty much Apartheid again (but the opposite way around)

As a fellow South African I can to sympathise with your fears and views but to be perfectly honest i would much rather be a South African than any other nationality, our country has argubly the most rounded and fairest constitution in the world... our land is beautiful and our people are warm.

in terms of sport we have a great rugby team, a internationally recongnised cricket side (who would wipe the floor with Eng ;)) and for you ranting about our soccer team it really is not that bad, in fact we have a lot of potential... even our athletes can make us proud.

Basically what i'm saying is when my anthem plays i stand up and am overwhelmed by pride, whether its pride about our beautiful land, our dynamic and colourful past, our strides we have made or just that our nation about to kick *** on the sports field, I don't know but i am proud and anyone who isnt of their country maybe its time to relocate

fully agree mate :) I am proudly South African, don't get me wrong, was just painting a picture for others who are not from here (think there are 3 of us and one ex Durban guy, AusieOchoa who is now in Aus)

Well I don't watch and PSL at all :) thats just me though!, I went mental when Simphiwe scored the opening goal in the WC and watched every game of ours!

you seem very optimistic which is great, I am a bit of a pessimist however and things are getting worse.. King Julius Malema is being touted as our next president, Google him, you will see why I am the way I am :)

peace

fully agree mate :) I am proudly South African, don't get me wrong, was just painting a picture for others who are not from here (think there are 3 of us and one ex Durban guy, AusieOchoa who is now in Aus)

Well I don't watch and PSL at all :) thats just me though!, I went mental when Simphiwe scored the opening goal in the WC and watched every game of ours!

you seem very optimistic which is great, I am a bit of a pessimist however and things are getting worse.. King Julius Malema is being touted as our next president, Google him, you will see why I am the way I am :)

peace

Haha old julius I am fully aware of:) Haha man Durban is the place to be he should never of left

But anyway IMO youth league wontgain enough power and his suport base is to weak to get him into power without the communist party help, who are with ANC at moment so we safe man:)

And I too celebrated like a mad man for that goal... and cursed like an Englishman for the equaliser haha

Tshabalala is the greatest name for a footballer that has ever lived!

The portuguese national hymn is something I think all portuguese are proud of! In fact I have no doubt 99.99% are!

Hmm, I'm undecided about ours. When 'O Flower of Scotland' is belted out by a capacity crowd, the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. You can hear the passion and pride when it's sung, and in my biased view it's one of the louder ones sung in the 6 Nations :P

However the lyrics are rotten, and the section reminiscing about killing the English 700 years ago is just childish. What's the need to sing about fighting England when we're playing Lithuania at football? Doesn't make sense to me.

I think 'God Save the Queen' is a dirge. In my opinion it's pretty dreadful.

My favourites are the 2 Ireland ones, especially the new one which was written specifically as a National anthem. It sounds really uplifting and can be belted out. La Marseillaise is quality too. Wish we had one of those!

Just a question for you South Africans, are you black or white? In a country like SA, I think it might mather which colour you are and depending on your income. I bet that a black South African, who's situation haven't improved much since Apartheid, would think the country is rather bad and more hate it? Recently, I also saw in the television, where they spoke about a potential civil war? Don't get me wrong on question, I don't want to be racist or anything, I just think it's interesting to hear from a real South African and I would really like to go to your country.

Last edited:
Hahaha Still prefer Shittu

Tshabalala just rolls off the tongue!

All of the other national anthems in the world are upbeat.. England's is like a drone, you could sing it in a Kevin (and Perry) voice and it would still sound the same.

Back