Do you feel proud of your country, when the national anthem plays?

• Thread starter Thread starter Fish Hunter
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 71
  • Views Views 5K
The national anthem? Not really.

Jerusalem? Yes, a million times.

Jerusalem. Just wow. When you sing it 60,000+ strong at Twickenham, it almost bring a tear to your eye with pride. That is what national anthems should feel like when sung. I love it

Hmm, I'm undecided about ours. When 'O Flower of Scotland' is belted out by a capacity crowd, the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. You can hear the passion and pride when it's sung, and in my biased view it's one of the louder ones sung in the 6 Nations :P

However the lyrics are rotten, and the section reminiscing about killing the English 700 years ago is just childish. What's the need to sing about fighting England when we're playing Lithuania at football? Doesn't make sense to me.

I think 'God Save the Queen' is a dirge. In my opinion it's pretty dreadful.

My favourites are the 2 Ireland ones, especially the new one which was written specifically as a National anthem. It sounds really uplifting and can be belted out. La Marseillaise is quality too. Wish we had one of those!

Too **** right. I love the Irish one for the Rugby, it is truly excellent. I'm not even Irish and I want to stand up and sing it.

Jerusalem. Just wow. When you sing it 60,000+ strong at Twickenham, it almost bring a tear to your eye with pride. That is what national anthems should feel like when sung. I love it

I know about half the words, and that's the reason God Save the Queen is still so prevalent I think, the simplicity of the words compared to Jerusalem. But there is no doubt at all in my mind that Jerusalem is a much more stirring song.

Should be a poll on what our national anthem should be between God save the Queen, Jerusalem, Land of hope and glory.

Should be a poll on what our national anthem should be between God save the Queen, Jerusalem, Land of hope and glory.
Jerusalem, longer and way more intense when sung by thousands of fans.

wouldn't want to be the person to try and teach Rooney the new lyrics :P Although he doesn't sing anyway so probably wouldn't affect him ;)

he probably would sing if it was jerusalem many of the people who don't sing it our against the monarchy and don't agree that the national anthem should be about one person.

I love our National anthem and love the fact that I was born English.

Do I feel proud I was born in this country and not somewhere else? Not really. Am I happy I live in a happy and relatively peaceful country when I could be born in Somalia? Yes. The national anthem? Meh.

Do I feel proud I was born in this country and not somewhere else? Not really. Am I happy I live in a happy and relatively peaceful country when I could be born in Somalia? Yes. The national anthem? Meh.

Typisk AGF fans... :) Randers :wub:

Typisk AGF fans... :) Randers :wub:

I'm glad you're at least not calling the typical AGF fan a neo **** :) Having the only actual organized crime hooligan group in Denmark who commits mostly race-related crimes suck. Anyway, best league>second league, minion :P

I'm glad you're at least not calling the typical AGF fan a neo **** :) Having the only actual organized crime hooligan group in Denmark who commits mostly race-related crimes suck. Anyway, best league>second league, minion :P
Shut up, you haven't exactly played well over the last couple of years. :D I am living between Århus and Randers, so either you're Randers or AGF supporter. Most people are AGF though and sadly even my friends are. :D It also sucks for AGF to have the neo-**** thing on them.

I think it's quite sad that the 2 clubs doesn't play in the same league. It's always fun to watch the local derbies. Next year I think we'll see AGF - Randers, I hope.

Last edited:
Shut up, you haven't exactly played well over the last couple of years. :D I am living between Århus and Randers, so either you're Randers or AGF supporter. Most people are AGF though and sadly even my friends are. :D It also sucks for AGF to have the neo-**** thing on them.

I think it's quite sad that the 2 clubs doesn't play in the same league. It's always fun to watch the local derbies. Next year I think we'll see AGF - Randers, I hope.

Not if Remco van der Schaaf keeps assaulting players.

[video=youtube;7ip3rPMp2js]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ip3rPMp2js[/video]

If feel proud everytime the anthem plays, but it seems that the others Brazilians don't. First because, at the time it was composed, it already used old expression and words, if people can't say "problem" right, singing an anthem with such "fine" expressions must be hard. Second, in Brazil, people don't really feel like the nation means something, unless we're playing the World Cup, then we become more patriots than any other country in the world.

The National Anthem of Brazil(no cool name like "God Save the Queen", "Star-Spangled Banner" or "La Marsseillaise") makes me proud because it doesn't talk about war, like most other anthems do. Actually, the Anthem is all about the Independence(That was celebrated yesterday, September 7th). It's a long beautiful anthem, divided in two parts. Unfortunatly, during matches, they only play a part of the first part. It's a shame that, even during the World Cup, Olympic Games and every other international competetion, the anthem is stopped in the middle of it. Totally breaks the feeling.

**** yeah!

<font color="grey">[video=youtube;xvnqmkkdyEo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvnqmkkdyEo[/video]

---------- Post added at 05:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:20 AM ----------

Screw AGF, screw Randers. Go SønderjyskE! :D

Last edited:
Just a question for you South Africans, are you black or white? In a country like SA, I think it might mather which colour you are and depending on your income. I bet that a black South African, who's situation haven't improved much since Apartheid, would think the country is rather bad and more hate it? Recently, I also saw in the television, where they spoke about a potential civil war? Don't get me wrong on question, I don't want to be racist or anything, I just think it's interesting to hear from a real South African and I would really like to go to your country.

I am a white male, and as such have paid the price for my "fathers actions" but this doesnt make me any less a proud south african :) your response about the blacks who think things havent changed i agree with but this is not because they black , the majority of us complain about failiure of service delivery, and many socio - economic issues in our land.

Talk of Civil war? It is definatly not that bad. We have trouble as do the English , Americans and so on....

to be honest we are on the verge of a drastic political power divide. One which will provide our very strong constitution with a power struggle too this equates to service delivery and opportunity creation. I am no future teller but its not doom and gloom for us:)

To those who want to be yellow belliesand run away, I say go well, cause we dont need people who arent commited:)

If you have any questions of my land feel free to ask:)

I am a very successful white South African :) I was talking for the majority of white males as we have a thing called BEE (Black Economic Empowerment) which entitles Africans to jobs which they are not qualified for over and above the well qualified white that was fired to make space for the new person, this of course all stems back to Apartheid were they really were not given any rights and I really do hate what happened, trust me, I am the least racicst white person in SA, a lot of my mates are black ;)

it is just the fact that it is now Apartheid to a limited degree for the white's! I mean demographically we make up like 11% of the population, 72% are African!

We have just as many issues as other countries do so your **** does not smell like roses either :) hahaah, kidding! but the difference is, there are a lot more educated people in the area's that will be able to deal with situations better and nothing clouding their judgement like revenge vs the whites etc which is currently happening in SA, I mean one of the most influential Africans in the ANC youth league, Juiluis Malema says pretty much every time he opens his mouth that they need to kill the boer (white's)

so yes proud to be here and SA but you have to be realistic as well Luke, **** can escalate very, very quickly and go down hill very fast!

of course it matters what colour you are here, as explained, BEE is rife! your company will not get business if you do not have a black partner and are not BEE certified at different levels! on government tenders there is NOTHING which ask if you are a white male, the only thing they ask for is BLACK, BLACK disabled, WOMEN and HDI (Historically Disadvantaged Individual) we as whites mean squat in the eyes of government, they only want to see how much you have done for the HDI partner of yours by giving him a Director position and paying him x amount of money per month for doing nothing!

(please note, my company has a large mixture of directors and they have all the right qualifications and experience to be where they are) but there are lots of other companies that just decide to make their garden boy a CEO, or COO, Director just to try and get BEE certified to get business!

I can go on for hours and hours talking about our country as there is so much to actually delve into! Luke is a very optimistic Saffa which is fantastic :) but I am a realist and I can feel this country going down very quickly in the next several years, it's gone backwards since Mr Mandela was president and it will continue to go down until we turn into a new Zimbabwe (if you dont know anyting about Zim, just google Robert Mugabe and Zim and you will see what I mean)

thanks,

a concerned South African :)

I am a very successful white South African :) I was talking for the majority of white males as we have a thing called BEE (Black Economic Empowerment) which entitles Africans to jobs which they are not qualified for over and above the well qualified white that was fired to make space for the new person, this of course all stems back to Apartheid were they really were not given any rights and I really do hate what happened, trust me, I am the least racicst white person in SA, a lot of my mates are black ;)

it is just the fact that it is now Apartheid to a limited degree for the white's! I mean demographically we make up like 11% of the population, 72% are African!

We have just as many issues as other countries do so your **** does not smell like roses either :) hahaah, kidding! but the difference is, there are a lot more educated people in the area's that will be able to deal with situations better and nothing clouding their judgement like revenge vs the whites etc which is currently happening in SA, I mean one of the most influential Africans in the ANC youth league, Juiluis Malema says pretty much every time he opens his mouth that they need to kill the boer (white's)

so yes proud to be here and SA but you have to be realistic as well Luke, **** can escalate very, very quickly and go down hill very fast!

of course it matters what colour you are here, as explained, BEE is rife! your company will not get business if you do not have a black partner and are not BEE certified at different levels! on government tenders there is NOTHING which ask if you are a white male, the only thing they ask for is BLACK, BLACK disabled, WOMEN and HDI (Historically Disadvantaged Individual) we as whites mean squat in the eyes of government, they only want to see how much you have done for the HDI partner of yours by giving him a Director position and paying him x amount of money per month for doing nothing!

(please note, my company has a large mixture of directors and they have all the right qualifications and experience to be where they are) but there are lots of other companies that just decide to make their garden boy a CEO, or COO, Director just to try and get BEE certified to get business!

I can go on for hours and hours talking about our country as there is so much to actually delve into! Luke is a very optimistic Saffa which is fantastic :) but I am a realist and I can feel this country going down very quickly in the next several years, it's gone backwards since Mr Mandela was president and it will continue to go down until we turn into a new Zimbabwe (if you dont know anyting about Zim, just google Robert Mugabe and Zim and you will see what I mean)

thanks,

a concerned South African :)

I fully agree. Maybe I do suffer from an idealist mindset.It is funny you mention the Tender qualification as I work as a temp in the department of health in Bisho Eastern Cape... I had to leave my beloved Durban:( but the picture you paint is very bleak I deal with Tenders every day of my life... that qualification is out of 10 points out of a hundred, so a very white company ( although not recomended) can submit a tender with 1 out of ten but for pricing reasons and other conditions ie the past payment records ect he can still be put through to the bid commitee..

Besides you as well as I do relise most if not all companies hire a black "face" so in essence it is not as massive a problem everyone points it out to be;)

---------- Post added at 09:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 AM ----------

Haha if you feel like we turning into Zim I highly recommend we leave:) Luckily things will be halted well before that.

There is a lot to mention much more than i can say in a message. There are underlying issues that simply are to complex to type and stuff haha but just be happy we get sun all year round:) that and we going to beat them Welsh on Sunday;)

**** right luke :) Bokkkke!!!!!

haha, yeah I know, it is out of 10, well sometimes 80/20 :) I am a General Manager for a large company here in Durban, I attend to tenders as one of my many jobs! you probably have come across one of ours before, I am actually from the Eastern Cape originally, P.E :)

as mentioned, there is way too much to delve into, it would take hours to write :)

Back