View attachment 156413

“What do you mean you’re leaving?”
Vera asked looking on with concern as I packed a bag.

“It’s just for a couple months little love. I need some time away from my family, from the club. Just to reassess everything and refocus,” I answered, still putting clothes in the bag.

“And you didn’t think you’d want to ask me about this? Or invite me?”

“I did…think it but I already knew you’d say no. Am I wrong?”

“No,” she chuckled. “You could at least ask though. I do understand why you want to do this though when it comes to all the family drama but can you just take a leave from the club? Isn’t tonight the awards dinner? Shouldn’t you be attending?”

“I should, but I won’t be. I had a meeting with Thohir today,” I said bringing my packing to a halt and sitting on the bed next to her. I then proceeded to tell her my thoughts while she absorbed every word in typical attentive fashion. Despite her tendencies to fall asleep while I talk about football, Vera would listen to me for days when she knew I really needed to talk.

I explained to her that I decided to set up a meeting with Thohir as soon as the last game of the season was played. The team finished the season in very average form thus completing my first season in football without a trophy and I couldn’t hide my disappointment in my failure. Thohir wanted reassurances that I was still committed to the cause because of my dejected image on the touchline in the final games. I told him I couldn’t leave without winning something and I just needed time to recollect myself and deliver the way everyone expects me to next season. If I didn’t fulfill this next season, then I would consider resigning. That was my very bold statement and I intended to stick by it.

After this, we went over our end of season meeting where I got the results for the various End of Season awards. In the league James Ward-Prowse came in 3rd​ for the Best Young Player award while Lovren, Dimarco and Handanovic were named in the Team of the Year. Handanovic picked up a personal award as the Keeper of the Year. At least I kept one promise when I told the players last season that they would be recogni
zed for their performances this season.

The Inter awards that would be presented at our annual end of season dinner went to Valzania, who won both the Fans’ Player of the Year award and Young Player of the Season award. Jovetic won the goal of the season while fans believed, and rightly so, Patric was the signing of the season.

View attachment 156409
The final piece of discussion between Thorir and me was about the initial transfer budget for next season as well as our agreement that we needed to upgrade the facilities in a bid to bring the club’s reputation back up.

After explaining all this to Vera I was surprised that I still had her full attention even after dawdling off into club talk. She simply smiled calmly at me and brushed her hand against my face, “Don’t worry, you’ll win it all next season love,” she said. “The boys aren’t ready to move and I know you aren’t either so I have faith in you.” I felt like she was giving me a team-talk but to be honest, I needed it. Vera was my source of sanity and she never once failed at providing it ever since the day I met her. “So what’s the plan now? Where will you go and surely you will call constantly, yes?”

“Of course I’ll call. We both know you can’t go a day without hearing me talk about football,” I teased. She rolled her eyes. “First, I’ll be going to Moscow. Pay a visit to the Spartak training ground and have a drink with Leonid. They’ve won the league twice since I left; it will be nice to see the old faces. After that I’ll be off to Madrid to meet up with Massimilliano Allegri.”

“Massimilliano? Why?”
she asked.

“He’s agreed to meet with me and talk football. He knows the Serie A and the game so well and won the Liga BBVA in his first season with Madrid. He won so much at Juventus and is recognized as one of the best in the business right now. I can learn a lot from him in the coming months.”

View attachment 156406

“And he’s agreed to mentor you?”

“He has, rather graciously I might add.”

“You two have developed such a good friendship. I’m glad, I was starting to believe you wouldn’t have any…you know, friends who are not shady.”

I laughed. “What about Andrei? He’s my best friend.”

“Andrei admits himself that he’s shady and I’m your best friend, thank you very much,” she corrected with a push of my shoulder.

“And you’re shady?”

“The shadiest, love,” she grinned giving me a quick kiss. “Let’s go see what our sons are up to, shall we? Let them know daddy is going to school for a bit.”

View attachment 154490

Part 1

July 16, 2018
Milan

I arrived in Italy earlier than planned to get a jump on my preparations for the new season. With the players not due to return few days, I wanted to be completely ready before their return so I could drill my new ideas into them. My two months away completely rejuvenated me and I was ready to fight with my players this season for silverware. My time with Massimilliano was well spent and went as expected. He said he really didn’t have much he could teach me because I knew everything I needed to know but lacked the confidence in my own ability. He drew parallels to my stints at Spartak Moscow and the Argentine Olympic squad and then compared them to my time at Inter and pointed out the lack of risk taking using my 14 draws last season as a reference. “You’re playing much safer at Inter. You need to trust yourself more. You had the least losses and stingiest defense in the league but you built your reputation as an attack minded coach. Believe in yourself. Your players certainly believe in you and that’s admirable. Use that to your advantage,” he said one evening as we made way to take in the Champion’s League final. What a final it was too as Manchester City put an Arsenal side looking to win back-to-back Champions League titles to the sword. After the game Allegri simply stated, “Your teams are capable of similar displays. Let me see it next season. Rebuild your squad the way you like it and you’ll see the results.”

View attachment 154489
So, that’s what I did. From that moment, I started to set in motion the transfer dealings that I believed would significantly boost my team next season relaying my targets to my new Director of Football, Felipe Minambres. After Piero Ausilio made a disappointing mistake accepting a bid for a promising young keeper we had in our academy, I lost my faith in him and decided bring in someone new this season and so far Felipe has been impressive. He also keeps me very much in the loop while I’m out of office without any delay. An example of such was when he quickly faxed over the announcement that Italy had gained another Champions League place.

View attachment 154488
View attachment 154487
View attachment 154486

“How far out are we Manuel?” I asked my driver from the backseat while I read through a magazine that reviewed the recent World Cup.

“Almost there sir,” Manuel answered. He was the only one who knew I was back in Italy and the man I kept in contact with while away. He was the sole driver for Vera, Alexis and Oksana and the children so he was my most reliable contact who wasn’t involved in my family’s drama.

“Good. What do you think about Portugal winning the World Cup?”

View attachment 154485
View attachment 154484

“Surprising, to say the least sir. Ronaldo now has that one trophy Leo doesn’t. The fans will be arguing about it for a long time to come.”

“Very right. I can only imagine the debates that will rage on. And Manuel, for the final time, you do not have to call me ‘sir.’ Makes me feel quite old.”

He chuckled. “Apologies. Would you like to hear about the latest within your family?”

“No. Once the children are fine and the women are alright, I have no concerns about anything else.”

“Very well. We are here now,” he said as the car came to a complete stop. I looked out the window and saw the doors to where I wanted to be. “Is this a civil stop? Or should I keep the car running?”

“That depends entirely on him Manuel.”

“I’ll keep the car running then sir.”

Last edited:
Awesome thread

I just read all 21 pages in one sitting. Awesome thread and I have only created an account to tell you how much I am enjoying reading your story and encouraging you to keep it going! :)