Meehar

Reaction score
Introduction

Hey guys, so I decided to start my story a little earlier this year. After enjoying my last manager story in FM15 with Matteo and RB
Leipzig, I was disappointed that I had lost my files and had to end it prematurely. So now I hope to get to get right back into it in FM16.

Every manager needs a backstory though I believe, so for the next few days leading up to FM16's full release, I'll be telling the backstory of my manager. This gives me time to finish my other player-based FM15 story as well: A Walk In My Boots. There is a chance though that I may not wait until the full release as I've already set up the save but we'll see. Until then,

Hope you enjoy!

Good luck mate, have been looking forward to this!

April 13, 1989
Sao Paulo, Brazil

View attachment 215277

There were noises coming from my father’s office. This wasn’t unusual however, because he would often have his meetings with his partners at night while my sister and I slept. Tonight it was a little louder though. I crept out of bed and walked down the hall to see that the door was ajar. Slowly I walked up to it and peeped in to see my father seated around his table talking to a man across from him. On either side of my father were my uncles Bruno and Vitor; Uncle Bruno was standing and looking out the window with a cigar hanging from his lips behind my father while Vitor leaned on the desk and whispered something to father. I couldn’t see the man across from them however.

“There isn’t much to discuss here. He ****** up and now someone has to pay for it. I say we put a bullet between his eyes and send him back to where he came from!”
Uncle Bruno yelled without looking back.

“P-p-please...please,” the man across from them said stuttering.

“Hush now Silvio,” Uncle Vitor said gesturing with a finger on his lips.

“P-p-please. I have a family. Th-they need me,” the man continued to beg. I could almost hear him crying.

I continued watching intently but quietly.

“Silvio...do you see the problem here?” My father finally spoke. He leaned forward on the table with his bushy eyebrows furrowed looking directly across from him. “I too, have a family. I invite you into my business. My business, is my family. I invite you into my house. Where the future of my business sleeps at night and you put that all at risk. You put my business, my family in danger...at risk. Now who do I beg to protect them?”

His speech was slow and monotonically cold as ever. Renan Alexi Barbosa, my father. As revered a man as you’ll ever see in Brazil. The older brother of the twins, Bruno and Vitor Barbosa and father to twins Alexis Paula Barbosa and me, Paulo Alexi Barbosa. This business he spoke of was his pride and joy right along with his family. My father was a kingpin in his trade. What was his trade? Every illegal thing a 10 year old like myself should know nothing about - but I knew everything. Unlike my sister Alexis, he never hid anything from me and constantly told me I would run his empire one day. It was an honour that I eagerly waited for. From hits to weapons trafficking to drug trafficking, my father had made them all a trade in his organization. The only thing he didn’t dabble in was human trafficking. “If your sister was ever caught in such a thing, I would set the world on fire Paulo.” That was his reason and no one dared question it.

Silvio continued to beg for forgiveness in my father’s office and I continued to listen. My father was feared but fair so if he chose not to forgive Silvio, it would be for good reason.

“Bruno…” he mumbled. “Do you have your gun on you?”

Bruno took a 9mm pistol from his waist and screwed a silencer on it slowly then placed it in front of my father on the desk. Vitor touched my father’s shoulder and walked to the window where Bruno was standing.

“Please...please don’t. I beg you.”

“Who do I beg Silvio?” my father repeated quietly. “I sent you to the United States to build our stronghold there. While away, I provided for your family. Your daughter, Gabriela, I made sure she got the best education. Instead it seemed you were the one that needed it. You go there and you start a war. A war with Escobar, a war with the FBI. A war we did not need.”

“I can fix it, I swear!” Silvio pleaded.

“Oh you can eh? You motherf*cker! If you could fix it, why did you come back here for help!? You need balls to fix this and clearly they’ve already cut yours off!” Bruno said explosively. Of all three brothers, he was certainly the hot-headed one.

“Why did you come back Silvio?” Vitor asked in a much calmer tone.

The room went quiet. Silvio hadn’t replied. All three brothers were now looking in his direction.

“They sent you for intel didn’t they?” father spoke quietly as he slid his finger across the gun.

Please Renan.” You could hear Silvio sobbing.

“You f*cker!” Bruno stomped towards him and his fist against his face echoed.

“I...I can...fix it!” Silvio didn’t stop his pleading.

“Escobar or the FBI, Silvio? Who is looking into us?”

“The...the FBI. They’re going…” Silvio panted and sobbed, “They’re going after Escobar too. They know you’ll be one of the first to take over his control in the market there...once he’s gone.”

“How do they know?” Vitor asked.

It was a valid question. ‘Abaixo da Sombra’ meaning ‘Beneath The Shade.’ It was the mantra our family, my father’s business - our business, lived by. We went unseen, unheard. Da Sombra, that was the only name you would hear whispered in the streets but no one knew who it was truly linked to. It struck fear in hearts because it was so unknown to common men and criminals.
As raízes’ meaning ‘The Roots’ was the group of handpicked individuals that truly knew about our organization’s spine, simply because they were apart of it. There was never more than six individuals - three being the twins and my father. Each one took responsibility for a different crime branch. No one knew who the members of The Roots were except the members themselves and their second in command. Each one had people reporting to them in their own organizational structure. It was truly a business.

“How do they know!?” Vitor asked again breaking the calmness he maintained throughout the night.

“Oh my god, please!” Silvio bellowed knowing his mistake was about to cost him in grand ways.

“He can’t help you. No one in this room can right now Silvio,” my father intervened quietly. “Paulo...come in boy.”

My eyes opened wide with fright. How long did he know I was listening by the door.

“Come now. You’ve had the balls to be standing there all this time. Walk on in,” Bruno said waving at the door smiling.

I walked in slowly. Finally I could see the face of Silvio, which was swollen and ******, no doubt through the work of Bruno.

“Good night uncle Bruno, Vitor.” They nodded at me in return. “I’m sorry father. I know I shouldn’t have been listening,” I said as I stood next to him in his chair.

Father: “Is your sister sleeping?”

Me: “She is. I checked on her before I came downstairs.”

Father: “That’s my little man.”

Bruno: “More of a man than Mr. No Balls over there.”

Father: “I suppose you’re up to speed with everything. To recap, Mr. Silvio here, made a grave mistake Paulo. Now he’s put us all in danger and it seems he’s unaware of the gravity of it all. He begs me. He pleads for mercy but has he shown us any?”

Silvio: “Please...not in front of the boy! Let him leave, we ca-”

Me: “I’m no boy.” The nerve of him, I thought. “How long did the FBI give you to report back to them?”

Silvio didn’t respond. Vitor walked over to him and slapped him against his head.

Vitor:You heard the man. How long?”

Silvio: “Three...three days.”

Father: “Does he deserve our forgiveness Paulo? He’s given us three days to find a solution to his problem. How long do we have to fix his problem?”

Vitor walked over to the door I was at and closed it while Bruno pulled the curtains. Silvio started weeping and pleading louder.

Father: “If you wake up my daughter, this will be far worse. How long should we give him Paulo?”

I thought about it. Then I placed my hand on the 9mm that was on the table and slid it across the table to him.

View attachment 215276

Me: “Two minutes.”

Silvio:What!? What??”

Vitor walked behind him and put his own 9mm to the back of Silvio’s head.

Father: “Your fate was always in his hands Silvio. From the moment you woke him. You didn’t know I had children did you? My family is everything. You put them in danger and gave us three days to get out of it. That’s unforgivable and Paulo knows it. Put that gun to your head, pull the trigger. End your misery. Do not put your blood on Vitor’s hands.”

Silvio was trembling with fear. He now knew there was no getting out. I didn’t feel phased by what was about to happen in the slightest. Uncle Bruno always said that I had the same type of ice running through my veins like my father. That was a compliment to me. Silvio put the gun just beneath his chin. His hands shook rapidly as his finger pressed against the trigger slightly. Then he pulled it back.

Last edited:
I felt like I was reading the script from a movie haha, very good intro, can't wait to see how this one goes!

View attachment 214461

April 17, 2000

View attachment 214460
11 years ago today, 4 nights after Silvio met his end, my father followed. It was “Operation Dynasty” a plan
my father cooked up himself. Should our house, our lives, our business ever come under direct and immediate threat, it was to be activated. Operation Dynasty was simple - get the kids out and safe. It all happened so quickly but I remember every bit of it. I was sleeping when I suddenly heard the whirring of helicopter blades and saw bright lights outside my window. Not shortly after, uncle Vitor ran in with my sister already in his arms and grabbed me and told me it was happening. Alexis, of course didn’t know what was happening.

She was always kept in the dark about these things. Uncle Vitor told me when I was six, that my father promised my mother that he would keep us safe and keep Alexis out of the know when it came to the business. My mother knew she had no way of keeping my father from teaching me how it was done so she didn’t argue. My mother however, died when we were 3 due to heart complications. I don’t remember a great deal about her but whenever I’m with Alexis or listen to her speak, I feel the same warmness I felt around my mother. Both her and Alexis were as pure as it came in my family.

View attachment 214459

Uncle Vitor weaved through the hallways and got us downstairs and pulled the rug to uncover our hidden hatch door. These led to tunnels specifically designed for this very moment. Alexis was panicked and sobbing from the chaos around us as gunshots could be heard outside.

“Hush now my sweet. Uncle Vitor and Paulo will watch over you from now on,” my father’s voice came through all the noise. Everything sounded quiet whenever he spoke.

“Papa, aren’t you coming with us?” she asked as he lowered her through the hatch door.

“No sweet. If Papa comes with you, the bad men will never leave you and your brother alone. Papa needs to stay here and make sure they never come again.” Just like that he kissed her forehead and put her down.

“Paulo, you understand what will happen right?” he said turning his attention to me, knelt down with his hands on my shoulder.

“Yes father,” I responded. My heart was sinking as I knew I wouldn’t see him again and I couldn’t fight back the tears.

“Don’t cry my little man. You’re stronger beyond your years. Protect your sister,” he said before hugging me tightly. I had only ever seen my father shed tears once and that was when my mother died. Today it was probably the last thing I’d see him do.

Suddenly Uncle Bruno stumbled into the room drenched in sweat and smeared with blood. “We don’t have much time left!” he shouted. Then he stumbled his way over to me. Campeão,” he said grinning and brushing over my hair. “You take care of your sister and Vitor now, okay? Grow up and take over this business and make it better than now. Don’t trust ******* like Silvio, you hear me campeão?” He kissed the top of my head and lowered me into the hatch.

I was wordless. I knew I’d be losing 2 of the 3 people that had helped raise me through my life. I heard them say their goodbyes from above and a small collective weep and then laughter. This was the first time they would ever be split up in situations like these.

Uncle Vitor jumped down the catch and closed it above us. 10 minutes into walking through the tunnel I heard the real part of Operation Dynasty. The explosion that would take out the house, my father and uncle Bruno and the FBI. Erasing every avenue of information on Da Sombra.

View attachment 214458

I’m 21 now and the head of A Sombra. The FBI never pursued us after that night as the only intel they had was on my father and Bruno. They never knew Bruno had a twin or that my father had children so it was an easy getaway. Uncle Vitor, along with the 4 other members of The Roots ceased all large scale operations for a year to make sure the heat had really died with my father and Uncle Bruno. After that everything was set in motion again and Uncle Vitor was recognized as the new head of Da Sombra and keeping the members of The Roots down to 4.

That’s until I joined on my 16th birthday and was named the new head of Da Sombra. Uncle Vitor would act as my right hand man along with Ramon Oscar de Silva, my father’s oldest friend outside of family and the man who looked after us after that night. He kept us moving to make sure we were kept unknown and untracked. From favelas in Brazil to houses in Chile. We were never settled and this annoyed Alexis greatly. By this time she was well aware of every detail of Da Sombra and we learned that she too liked sneaking around in the dark so she wasn’t completely unaware of things we thought.

Her only wish on her birthday was this, she wanted to be the new 6th member of The Roots. Initially I flat out refused but she explained her reasons for her wish. She had no desire to run a branch of the business, she simply wanted to be kept in the loop at all times about any developments, changes or dangers so she could be more prepared for anything that may happen like the last time. There was no way I could say no and after talking over with Ramon and Uncle Vitor, I obliged.

View attachment 213811

November 1, 2007

El Paso, Texas

View attachment 213784
I sat in the dark room at my desk and waited. I knew the call was coming, it was only a matter of time. I didn’t have any regret over what I did though. I knew what the consequences were as well but it was well worth it. Suddenly, the burner phone I had been using vibrated on the desk. I picked it up and answered.

“Yes?” My voice was calm, collected.

“Paulo. I’m guessing you were expecting my call,” Uncle Vitor said in an equally calm voice. He was 53 now and you could hear his age in his voice.

Me: “I was.”

Uncle Vitor: “Then you know what I have to say about what happened then.”

Me: “If you’re going to scold me, it makes no sense. I don’t have any regret over my choice.”

Uncle Vitor: “I know. You’ve grown into a fine young man. I know you know the repercussions of your actions now. These actions have big repercussions though.”

Me: “I’m willing to face them. Tell me what I need to do.”

To bring you into the know, I’ll tell you what you’ve missed. I’m 28 now and have been in charge of A Sombra for 12 years. In those 12 years we have grown in stature and as a result - output. I had given our shadowy organization, a presence in the world. We were now one of the main cocaine distributors in the United States. That wasn’t enough for me though so I moved here three years ago increase our presence by distributing heroin and methamphetamine. This was no easy feat as the Mexicans had a stronghold on that market but I wasn’t about to be outmuscled and after a few ****** wars for control, I finally seized the opportunity. This however alerted the DEA but I kept my father’s principle and foundations in effect and made sure that we left no real tracks. Uncle Vitor was both annoyed and impressed by my efforts. He was annoyed because I employed a more direct and often forceful approach to what I wanted but impressed because I had total control over it, leaving no loose ends. I was methodical, precise, always on the front foot but equally adept at countering any threats that tried to put on the backfoot. Until today.

Today I lost my own control. Over matters not even related to the business. It was related to family though, the family I held most precious. Alexis had been dating one of my dealers, Jason Mills, against my wishes. She had grown into a fine young woman, completed her Masters Degree in Finance and regularly helped with A Sombra’s financial decisions. On a personal level she had invested in her own businesses and started to see the benefits. Her decision in men was her only downfall and in turn, mine.

Jason, on the surface wasn’t a bad guy. I had met him a couple times and he had no knowledge that I was in fact his boss. He had no idea that Alexis knew what he did even before he told her either. They met during Alexis’ first year in college when he had just been recruited by someone from my organization to deal. Jason’s flaw was that he always disobeyed the golden rule - never get high off your own supply. He had infact been arrested on a few occasions for public disturbances while high but never charged thanks to our organization. Today, Jason decided to get high off cocaine shortly before planning on meeting Alexis. When they met and she realized he wasn’t sober therefore not himself, she told him she had no desire to be with him like this. He snapped and decided to hit her, before dragging her along with him to his car. Alexis, being a Barbosa fought him in the car causing him to lose control and slam into a tree. When the police arrived on the scene, Alexis was passed out in the front seat, bleeding from a head wound with product in the trunk of the car. Jason was nowhere to be seen.

View attachment 213781

That’s until I found him sitting in a diner, not phased by what he’d done, laughing with his friends, who I now understand to also be dealers of mine. I walked into the diner and shot all three of them in the head, paid for their orders and left. There was a witness sketch of me on the news and seeing that I was identical to Alexis, the police put two and two together in no time.

For the first time in it’s existence, the face of A Sombra was on the news and wanted by police.

Uncle Vitor: “You’ll need to leave the country and lay low until our guys fix this Paulo.”

Me: “I won’t leave Alexis here.”

Uncle Vitor: “You have to. You’re facing a triple homicide charge here Paulo. Your options are limited and should they ever dig into your life, what they find could put more than just you away for life. All our lives would be in danger. Including Alexis.”

I paused to think about it. He was right. I didn’t care about me or anyone else but I wouldn’t jeopardize Alexis’ future.

Me: “So what’s the plan then?”

Uncle Vitor: “You’ll need to lay low. Just for a while. I’m sure our lawyers could work you out of this and the system but until then, you’ll need to disappear. Especially from the United States. Right now, they’ll be looking into you. You’re just like your father in every way except one Paulo. You have his voice, his demeanor, his ruthlessness and then some but you have no life and when they find someone with no life, they keep digging.”

I thought about what he said. I didn’t understand what he meant. My life was the business.

Uncle Vitor: “Based on your silence, let me explain what I mean. Your father was a figure in Brazil, Paulo. He funded political campaigns and fed the poor. He invested. He was smart. If they ever looked into his life, they would find these things and nothing else. What happens when they find a ghost like you? They dig for more, where you came from. From the moment you turned 16, you invested yourself into the business. Alexis built a life for herself but you didn’t. It’s time to change that.”

Me: “Me? How? I’m no politician. I can’t do what my father did. We never shared a love for that.”

Uncle Vitor: “Well, let’s look at your options first. We’ll move you to a country with no extradition treaty with the U.S. We’ll also change your name. It’s just a matter of where you want to go to build a life. You say you never shared a love with your father for politics but you two shared an extreme passion for football and it just so happens that your father invested in a few clubs back in his day. In his honour, we still finance these clubs somewhat.”

Me: “He did?”

Uncle Vitor:That’s right. He always said he’d eventually leave the organization and manage one of these clubs. Though it was in jest, you could always tell that he wished it. He had so many books on the beautiful game Paulo. You remember how he used to read to you?

I smiled.

Me: “I do. He was always so obsessed with his own concept of playing beautifully. We would stay up at nights and watch games of Pele and the Brazilian national team. I loved those moments…”

Uncle Vitor: “Well, it’s something to think about Paulo. We could get you on the board of one of his clubs and you could feel that closeness to your father again.”

Me: “Hm. Where are the clubs he invested in?”

Uncle Vitor:Well, wisely, he invested in all clubs in countries with no extradition. Like I said, it was his escape if he ever needed one. Bosnia, Croatia, Russia and Ukraine. Those are your options if you want to go down this road Paulo.”

I thought about it. To pack up my life and live another one in another country. Is this the only real way I could keep Alexis safe? I had every bit of confidence that we could get the heat off me but is this the price it came at? And this life in football that dad dreamed of, was it a dream I could really live for him? What about A Sombra?

Me: “How long do I have to decide Uncle Vitor?”

Uncle Vitor: “I’ll give you one day Paulo. I’ll fly out to meet you at the safehouse. Then we’ll make arrangements.”

I needed to make a quick decision. Where will I go?

View attachment 213778

Hitman/Drug lord turned football manager!! Love it, Cant wait to see were you end up!

View attachment 212878

June 18, 2015

Russia

Alexei Ivanov. That’s who I am now. My decision wasn’t very hard eight years ago when Uncle Vitor presented me with the places I could run to. Why wouldn’t I come to Russia? A large portion of our weapons trafficking is done through here. I could still play my role in A Sombra from here and that was a major factor in my decision.

View attachment 212877

A lot has changed in eight years though. First, the most obvious - my name. I was told I needed a new life, a new name when I was fleeing El Paso. To change my name from Paulo Alexi Barbosa, a name given to me by the man I respected most was madness in my opinion but I understood why it needed to be done. So I chose the name Alexei because it wasn’t much of a change was it? I also chose the last name Ivanov. It mean “son of Ivan” and if my Russian knowledge at the time was right, Ivan The Great was a renowned ruler and referred to as the “gatherer of lands.” My father could be touted as similar as he masterminded A Sombra’s rise, rule and expansion. I was proud to be his son.

My name wasn’t the only thing that changed but so too did my outlook on life. I was now a father myself. A year into moving to Russia I met a woman named Vera Volkova, who was two years my junior. All my life before moving to Russia I had never had time to invest in a life away from the organization but I used all the time I had on my hands in my first year to get to know Vera. She was a beautiful woman with a beautiful soul who lived for adventure and freedom. I opened up to her in ways I had never done to anyone and in just my second year in Russia, I was married. Just three years ago, she gave birth to my very own twins.

Alexis was married now too with a baby boy of her own. Her husband was an American sports journalist, Frank Madison. I didn’t mind this one. He was actually something of a friend to me as he helped me out in my biggest life change:

I was now a manager.

I spent all my time studying the game, watching tapes, reading books, going on coaching seminars. I decided to live my father’s dream.

View attachment 212876
Uncle Vitor had told me that my father was an outside investor for the Spartak Sports Society who formerly owned FC Spartak Moscow. Apparently at some point he had made friends with Nikolai Starostin, the original founder of FC Spartak Moscow. My father was apparently even more charismatic than what I believed as I had no idea he had such ties all the way in Russia. It was because of these connections and ties why calls could be made as soon Spartak Moscow and Murat Yakin ended their professional relationship and the club needed a new manager. After initial hesitations and then a positive meeting with the club owner, it was confirmed: I was now the face of the club and tasked with bringing them glory they once had.

View attachment 212875

I had no standing or reputation in football but I understood how it worked, I knew it like I knew the business, the underground. Now I was stepping out of the shadows, digging out...to the dugout.

Last edited:
Great stuff. Going to have to be careful with the European away days and no US tours in preseason