Reaction score

Relegated in 2005, Dundee have struggled to overcome that disappointment to this day. Five years on and the club has hit crisis point. For the second time in seven years the Dee have gone into administration. However, this time there seems no room for optimism. The SFA handed out a mammoth 25 point deduction and with the club declared bankrupt, it seems as though the future of Dundee football club is up in the air.​

The 28th of June 2010 saw redundancies come into effect and manager Gordon Chisholm was the first to be let go. Chisholm declared himself ‘extremely disappointed’, however he understood the club’s perilous position and realised that it was inevitable.

Dundee chairman Bob Brannan instantly appointed a replacement, the inexperienced Matthew McClintock. Brannan cited on the club’s website that, ‘Matthew is young and has the hunger and desire to steady the ship here. He is prepared to work for little money and although both myself and Matthew know this is a monumental ask, we both have faith that Dundee can survive in the Scottish first division this season and ultimately begin the road to recovery for this football club.’

With a 25 point deficit and a transfer embargo in place, the season ahead certainly is to be a telling one in the history of Dundee FC.

For those of you who followed my previous story with AS Cannes, I hope you follow again! To all new readers, all your support is appreciated and I hope to keep you entertained, look for another update later on this evening.

---------- Post added at 11:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 PM ----------

Matthew McClintock’s first day in charge of Dundee football club was one that saw him realise just how difficult the task at hand would be. He took training in the morning and it immediately struck him just how small a squad there is at Dens Park. Just 19 players, many of whom are all youngsters with no real experience at this level. McClintock sat down with the squad before training and gave them all a feel for how he was going to work and what he wanted in return. Hard work, and enthusiasm were the two key ingredients. The meeting seemed to go well, as did training itself. Several players caught the eye and McClintock had earmarked the key players who will play a big part this season.

Leigh Griffiths: A potent striker and if there is a small glimmer of hope to Dundee surviving, Griffiths is just that. However, McClintock must know just how tough it will be to keep him and it may be case of having to sell him. He’s quick and most certainly has an eye for goal and at just 19 years of age is surely a face of Scottish football’s future.

Gary Harkins: 25 year old central midfielder who all the backroom staff say is going to be vital this season. Arrived at the club last season and scored 15 goals, that kind of record from midfield is highly impressive and if he can reproduce that this season McClintock will certainly be a happy man. Works his socks off and is highly influential on and off the field, a potential candidate for the captaincy.

Rhys Weston: Arrived in the summer from Walsall and is an experienced defender. Can play at right back or in the centre of defence and is a very vocal, commanding figure. Likes a tackle and his determination will be key in guiding McClintock’s men away from danger.

Stephen O’Donnell: An attacking midfielder who joined from St.Mirren in the summer. Enjoys going forward and is effective either on the right or in the middle of midfield. Could be a good source of goals this season.

Rab Douglas: The most experienced member of the squad at Dens Park. Now 38, the former Scotland goalkeeper’s know how will be a big plus in the dressing room. Douglas is still in good shape and being the only goalkeeper in the first team squad is going to be heavily relied upon to produce the goods consistently.

The pre season lineup for McClintock’s men see them face their reserve side tomorrow night in a behind closed doors game. They will also face Camelon, a non league Scottish side away from home, rivals Dundee United at home, Marseille at home in a game McClintock and the club must be hoping raise some funds and Birmingham City, before the final friendly being at home to Bolton Wanderers. Certainly a tough pre season ahead but one that should prepare McClintock’s side fully for the season ahead.

images

Can McClintock afford to hold on to Griffiths?

Great start mate, liked the summary of key players. Hopefully you can keep hold of Griffiths, you're going to need him! It's a massive challenge, I hope you do well. Good luck - I'm following

Good start mate. I will pop in from time to time and have a read

Please have a look at my story and leave a comment. Theres a link in my Sig

Thanks for the support so far guys, much appreciated.

'A week is a long time in football’. In Matthew McClintock’s first week in charge, that famous saying was certainly in the back of his mind. The Dundee first team squad faced off against the reserve side in a behind closed doors friendly in McClintock’s second day at the helm. It was a chance for McClintock to get a closer look at all his options and to give the players some match fitness.

McClintock saw the reserve side take a bit of a shock lead just 7 minutes in when young striker Gary Anderson got in behind to finish past the helpless Rab Douglas. Within three minutes the first team levelled and it was Leigh Griffiths who got it. The game then turned into the Leigh Griffiths show. He scored two more to complete his hat trick and was by far the most impressive performer out there. It ended 3-1 and McClintock went away with further impressions of the squad he’s inherited.

McClintock sat down with assistant manager Gordon Wallace the next morning to talk about the game last night.
‘Not much hope is there Gordon? The club needs the money.’ Gordon nodded in agreement to McClintock.

'We just need to hope and pray Matthew that somebody comes in and invests in our club, if they don’t then there’s no point even worrying about Leigh Griffiths future, it’s yours and mine we would need to worry about. We really need some money and fast, and it’s either going to be Griffiths or a new chairman who gives us it.’

McClintock’s phone then rang. It was chairman Bob Brannan. The phone call ended and McClintock’s face had lit up.
‘What’s the news Matt?’ McClintock took a deep breath.
‘Well, it’s no reason to get carried away. But it’s a start. We’ve managed to pay the SFA the money back we owe and now, thank goodness, our transfer embargo has been lifted.’

Fantastic news for McClintock as he and Gordon Wallace went off to immediately conjure up a shortlist of potential signings. Still no money and still in receivership but the wafer thin squad at Dens Park was about to get beefing up. Good news at last for the Dees.

Good luck mate hopefully you can bring back some glory with dundee, I remember the days when Caballero and Sara where there great little team they had once upon a time, shame to see them go this way. KIU

images

Boardroom blues and transfer joy

‘Right, well we’ve got no funds to buy anyone. It’s going to have to be loans and free transfers Matthew. Even then, we can only offer around 90-100 pounds a week, so it’s going to be incredibly difficult.’

Chairman Bob Brannan’s words made Matthew McClintock scratch his head, knowing that the transfer embargo being lifted didn’t really mean anything if they still had no money to bring anyone in.

‘At least you’re being straight with me Mr.Brannan. I’ll ask our chief scout to do some digging.’

And with that, McClintock and Brannan shook hands and left the boardroom, both in the knowledge that bringing players to Dens Park was going to be an uphill struggle.
Later on that day McClintock’s phone rang. It was chief scout Neil McDougall, who had compiled a list of possible transfer targets.

‘Very interesting Neil, thanks for that. A major concern is that we’re short in the goalkeeping department, there’s only Rab and he’s now 38. Is there any chance you could have a look out for us?’

McClintock was silent for around a minute or so as McDougall gave his response.
‘Oh really, worth bringing in?’

It seemed McDougall had already been on the lookout and Matthew McClintock was straight off the phone to make another call, grateful for his scouts knowledge.

‘Hello, is that Jonny?’

‘Yeah, speaking?’

‘Hello Jonny, my name is Matthew McClintock, manager of Dundee football club, how are you?’

‘Oh’, Jonny’s voice suddenly perked up a tone.

‘I’m very well thanks yourself?’

‘Brilliant thanks, I heard about your release from Burnley and was wondering if you fancied coming down to Scotland and joining us? I know it’s quite a way away and we’re in a bit of a sticky patch at the minute but I’ve heard about your quality and we hope that you can challenge straight away for a first team slot’

The phone call continued and things were going smoothly, McClintock hung up and a grin came across his face. Had Dundee captured their first summer signing in the fight for survival?

Great start mate. £100 a week isn't going to attract many players, I really feel for you. Just gotta keep hold of griffiths

I agree with FBP. You must do everything in your power to keep hold of Griffiths mate. He is the man to take you to the SPL

PS- Have a look at my story (Link in my Sig) and comment on it mate

‘Rab, I’d like you to meet our latest signing, Jonny Lund.’ Matthew McClintock felt the need to introduce Lund to Rab Douglas before anyone else, seeing as Douglas was the senior keeper at the club.

Jonny and Rab chatted for around five minutes or so inside the canteen at the clubs training ground as McClintock went to speak to the media about the newest acquisition at Dens Park.

McClintock entered the room, only three journalists awaited, ready to question the first bit of business since the transfer embargo was lifted.

Journalist: Good afternoon Matthew, I’m Richie McDonald from the Dundee Football Daily. Just wondering how you’re feeling right now about the capture of Jonny Lund?

McClintock: We’re absolutely delighted Richie. Jonny is a young keeper who is hungry and looking to learn. With the shortage of goalkeepers at the club and our lack of funds available, Jonny suited our criteria.

McDonald: So, you’re saying that Lund wasn’t top of your wish list then? He was the easy option?

McClintock knew this journalist was trying to be a clever clogs but he just let it slide.

McClintock: Top of my wish list would have to be Petr Cech. But we have to be realistic here. Someone of Jonny’s calibre, for him to be available to us for little money in terms of wages was a deal we had to get done.

McDonald seemed a little hacked off that he’d been outdone here by the Dundee boss. One of the other journalists nipped in to question McClintock.

Journalist 2: Steven Smith, Dundee Herald here. Just wondering where Lund stands at the moment. Is he going to be number one or will you be looking at Rab Douglas to guide him?

McClintock: Very good question. We hope that Jonny can compete for the number one shirt. However, at this moment in time, during somewhat of a crisis at the club with our points deduction, we need all the experience we can get and Rab falls into that category.

Smith: Is there a chance of more activity in the coming days or weeks at Dens Park?

McClintock: Most definitely. We are in discussions to bring in two or three on loan, it all depends on how much the players clubs want us to pay in terms of wages. We are definitely on the lookout though.

Journalist 3: Mark Miller, Dundee radio here. Just in terms of players moving on. There’s been a lot of talk about Leigh Griffiths and where he stands at the moment, could you clarify that? Have there been offers?

McClintock: We understand Leigh’s position. However we are desperate to hang onto him. He’s a top player and professional and to lose him would be a blow. There has been tentative enquiries from two English clubs, however nothing concrete. The major factor in this though is the clubs financial position. If we do get an offer, then it is up to the receivers at the club to negotiate. I have no say in what goes on with regards to selling players unfortunately. We just need to keep our fingers crossed.

And with that the press conference ended. Jonny Lund was now a Dundee player. But by the sounds of things, Leigh Griffiths may not be for much longer.

really getting into this story mate, when will your next post b?

Thanks Tam

Another busy day was occurring at Dundee’s training ground as Matthew McClintock continued his pre season work with his new squad. One of the players who McClintock had taken a shine to was Gary Harkins. Harkins oozed quality on the ball, something McClintock wanted his side to do, play with the ball at their feet.

The morning training session went well, the enthusiasm was there for all to see and McClintock seemed at ease in the managerial role. Banter was flying between him and the players but there also seemed to be that authority from McClintock that all managers require. It’s no good the players seeing you as a friend rather than manager.

After training Nicky Riley was smashing balls around for fun, as usual. Riley is a new addition at Dens Park, joining under the previous manager a week before McClintock’s arrival. A central midfielder, very attack minded and very good but a bit of a handful to manage. Riley was never afraid to speak his mind. As he continued leathering balls all over the place, he suddenly caught one square in the face of Gary Harkins.

Riley was in stitches, finding it very amusing, he apologised but told Harkins to move out the way next time. Harkins, a quieter member of the squad simply said nothing and moved on, but McClintock wasn’t having any of it.

‘Nicky, that’s no way to treat your captain is it?’

‘Captain? Harkins? Are you having me on?’ Riley was evidently stunned.

‘ Not at all, you may be the chatterbox of Dundee but Gary lets his feet do the talking. You could learn a thing or too from him.’

Riley couldn’t believe what he was hearing and for the first time since McClintock arrived at the club, Riley had been silenced.

‘You want me to be captain gaffer?’ Harkins was clearly as stunned as Riley.

‘Like I said Gary, you do your talking on the pitch son, I want you to lead by example, you deserve it.’

And with that, the captaincy issue was done and dusted, Gary Harkins would lead the side and for 99% of the squad that was a welcome choice, the other 1% would have to learn to like it.

Just as Matthew McClintock went to leave the training ground, his phone rang. It was chairman Bob Brannan and the news wasn’t good.

‘Yeah, there’s nothing we can do Matthew, it’s down to the receivers. I’m sorry but he’s on his way to Scunthorpe for talks.’

You can do it mate:) I used to support Morton who play like 200 metres away from me and people who I know who support Morton say that they feel sorry for Dundee and they also said that for once theres a good chance of Morton staying up because of the points deduction:L

Thanks guys, hope you keep following.

Matthew McClintock awoke the next morning and was coming to the realisation that he was helpless. McClintock knew how tough it’d be when he joined but to have no control in keeping hold of your own players infuriated him.

McClintock looked at his phone as he was getting ready to go to training. Three messages were on there. Bob Brannan had left the first. It read:

'Matthew, Leigh’s completed the medical at Scunthorpe and all that’s left is to sign on the dotted line, I’m very sorry that you had no control over this, neither did I, I hope this doesn’t affect your future here, speak to you in the next couple of days.’

McClintock appreciated Brannan’s message and was never tempted to walk away from the club. The second message was from chief scout Neil McDougall. Suddenly McClintock’s glum face had turned into a wry smile.

‘Hi Matthew, just informing you of around five or six young lads we could look into the possibility of loaning. Ross Perry, a central defender at Rangers, very composed, strong aerially and has a very bright future I’m sure. Michael Ordish, plays wide on the right of midfield, very young, which would be my only concern, but he certainly has talent, works very hard, gets at the full back and could be a real asset. Tom Eaves, just joined Bolton from Oldham but rumour has it they’d be willing to loan him out. A big, strong centre forward who could hold the ball up well and looks like he has an eye for goal. Dylan McGowan, can play centre back or in the middle of midfield. Good in the air, works hard and has good composure on the ball, Hearts would be willing to loan. Finally, Archie Campbell at Rangers. Very young again, but has a future, is highly thought of by Walter Smith, looks a goal scorer at reserve team level, so could hopefully step up with us. Let me know what you think and get me back to me.’

All these players tempted McClintock, he knew loaning was virtually the only option, but with Jamie Adams already on loan at the club, it meant they could only loan three more players for the season and McClintock would have to think carefully about who he wanted to bring in.

And the final message on McClintock’s phone was the least expected. Leigh Griffiths.

‘Gaffer, it’s Leigh, just wanted to let you know that I am almost nailed on to join Scunthorpe now. Personally I didn’t want to leave the club under these circumstances but the club needs the money and I’d rather see that than me remain a Dundee player and the club struggle. I hope you understand and good luck for the rest of the season.’

Touching, a true professional Griffiths was and McClintock knew it. He rang Griffiths back later in the day to thank him and wished him well at Scunthorpe. Dundee fans weren’t happy when the news broke but McClintock promised to strengthen in the loan market and vowed to all supporters that the club would survive, not only off the field but on it as well. Was McClintock biting off more than he could chew?

images

Griffiths gone, but who will come in?

The Dees first friendly of the new season was upon them as they faced Camelon, a non league Scottish side, away from home. Dundee went into the game with the obvious disappointment of losing Leigh Griffiths a day earlier but with a feeling of confidence that some of the younger players could make the step up.

It was a comfortable outing for McClintock’s men, running out 5-1 winners. After the match the Dundee boss spoke to the clubs website and gave his thoughts on the match:

‘Obviously I’m delighted with the result here and the performance to match. A lot of young players got a chance either from the start or off the bench and they all played their part. We now move onto the next few pre season fixtures in good confidence and hoping to add one or two more bodies to the squad.’

As Matthew McClintock prepared to go to sleep that night back in his hotel room, delighted to have got a win under his belt, he received a phone call from an unlikely source, Celtic boss Neil Lennon. The phone call lasted around five minutes and McClintock was delighted to hear the news.

Lennon had given Dundee the chance to loan Michael Ordish for the season. Ordish was one of the Dundee manager’s top targets and the right winger was to travel and meet up with his new side in the morning. Lennon told McClintock that he trusted him and Dundee football club to educate Michael in the right and correct manner.

Ordish arrived the next morning at the club’s training ground and seemed full of nerves. At just 17, it’s no real surprise. He’d been playing for Celtic’s under 19 team and to make the step up into a first team environment is always daunting. He shook hands with McClintock and they spoke briefly about what role Michael would play this season.

McClintock spoke about how he felt Ordish fitted the bill at the club this season. He said that he wants a ‘youthful, energetic and hungry’ side who would be willing to get the club out of trouble. Ordish was delighted that his new manager would show so much faith in such a young player and headed off to meet his new team mates.

The first to greet him was Nicky Riley. Yes, the troublesome Nicky Riley.

‘Hi, I’m Michael, just arrived from Celtic, pleased to meet you.’

‘Hello Michael son, I’m Nicky, let me just say it’s always good to have a new face around here, the youth team are always in need of a new player, I don’t rate that many over there, so hopefully you go over there and impress.’

Michael didn’t know whether Riley was joking or being serious, so simply nodded and walked on. The squad went out to train around half an hour after Ordish’s chat with Riley. The squad all met with the manager and he briefly introduced Oridsh to all those that hadn’t met him yet. Riley was laughing as usual.

‘Gaffer, shouldn’t he be on the other pitch, I’ve told him already to impress me over there.’

McClintock wasn’t happy. He announced a small sided game to kick things off and told Riley he would have to sit and watch as Ordish took his spot on the right of midfield. The news didn’t sit well with the loudmouth.

Training was going well and Ordish was impressing, well, impressing everyone but Riley. Riley came on but was forced to play on the left with Ordish on the right. Again, this angered Nicky Riley and as a corner was being taken by the other team, Riley barged Ordish out the way, his own team mate.

‘Sorry pal, didn’t see you there.’

Ordish knew he was gonna have his hands full with Riley and after training he made it his job to talk to him.

‘Nicky wait. I just wanted to know what your problem is with me?’

‘My problem is, that you, a ****** child has come in and taken my spot. You’ve not done anything to prove you merit being here, let alone being here ahead of me. I’m gonna give you a chance to earn my respect, and by earning my respect you need to do me a favour.’

Ordish was puzzled by all Riley’s comments.

‘What’s that then?’

‘Leave, go back to wherever you came from, You’re only here on loan the gaffer said, so go back there, tell your manager it’s not working out here and you want to return. If you don’t, then I am warning you, your life here at Dundee is gonna be ****.’

Michael Ordish couldn’t have asked for a more eventful first day at the club and he must be wondering just what he’s got himself into in joining Dundee. Will he be forced out the door or will the youngster stand up for himself and ride the storm of Nicky Riley?

images

The bully has sunk his claws into Dundee's newest recruit.

Good read so far :)

You've made a real pantomime villain out of Riley- hope he gets his comeuppance!

Out of interest what did you get for Griffiths?

great update mate. Love the way you've built up Riley's character - am I the only one that likes him? :S