Just read through the lot of it. Different story but it works very well, good read, keep it up pal.

absoulete crackin story mate! like how indepth you have made it so good job mate and wish you well for the season!

Thanks very much Ben and Gav, glad you enjoy it.

24th July isn’t a date set in most football fans diary. With league campaigns generally kicking off in August, the Dundee faithful would see their side begin their road to recovery much sooner. The Challenge cup first round, at home to third division side Berwick, most were hoping for a walk in the park but Matthew McClintock knew his first game in charge would be a tough one.

Dundee are current holders of the Challenge cup and everyone at the club wanted to retain the trophy. No SPL clubs were in the competition so they had every chance. The manager was faced with several difficult choices going into the game. Did he choose to start Michael Ordish who had managed to train just once after breaking his little toe? What system would he use? With only two strikers to choose from, would he use both from the start? And would his side respond to their league deduction by proving a point of their quality? He certainly hoped so.

It approached kick off time and the teamsheets were in. McClintock had named as strong a side as he probably could, not what Berwick were hoping for.

In goal was the veteran Rab Douglas. McClintock knew what he was getting there. He named a back four, with Gary Irvine right back, someone who had really impressed pre season. The central defence partnership saw young Rangers loanee Ross Perry start alongside the more experienced Rhys Weston, with former Leyton Orient left back Matthew Lockwood making up the backline.

In midfield, McClintock opted for three central players. Sitting in front of the defence would be St.Johnstone loanee Jamie Adams. Captain Gary Harkins would be partnered by Stephen O’Donnell in the more offensive roles.

Down the flanks, McClintock sprung a surprise. Michael Ordish was deemed fit enough to start and began on the right flank, with the thorn in his side Nicky Riley on the opposite flank. McClintock didn’t know it, but he’d done the team a real favour by keeping them on the other side of the pitch from each other.
Up front, McClintock gave the lone striking role to 17 year old Leighton McIntosh, a debut for the youngster who is eager to impress this season.

The game began and it began brightly for the Dees. McIntosh looked lively up front and was causing the Berwick defence all kinds of problems. Nicky Riley, for all his off field antics, is a fine player and was causing havoc down the left despite being a central midfielder by trade. Ordish on the other flank wasn’t really having much impact and as half time drew upon the players, despite the good opening from Dundee, it remained goalless, Berwick probably having the best chance but Rab Douglas saved well.

The second half got underway and McClintock must have told his players that they needed more in the final third. Within five minutes, they went in front. Ordish, finally involved, got at Berwick’s left back and whipped a delicious ball to the backpost where you guessed it, Nicky Riley was on hand to head home.

‘Not bad little lad, still, I’ll be the one getting the headlines in the morning.’

Riley winked at Ordish as the team celebrated. Ordish shook his head in disbelief. The main thing was that they led and despite a tense last ten minutes, they held out for a 1-0 win and a place in the second round.
Job done for McClintock, less than impressive, but a win is a win. On the Riley-Ordish front, at least things were clicking between the two on the field, even if off of it, there was still no love lost.

Merry xmas to all at FM Base.

One week had passed since the 1-0 win over Berwick and it was time for game two in the McClintock era. Another cup competition, this time the league cup 1st round and the Dees had another home tie, this time up against third division Elgin. It was yet another game Dundee were expected to win, but after the struggle against Berwick, nobody could be certain of a win here.

Gifton Noel-Williams had completed his move to Dens Park and was ready for selection, it all depended on just how fit the manager thought he was. Young Leighton McIntosh did a decent job up top last time out but Noel-Williams’ experience was sure to be a key factor.
The teamsheet saw that experience factor come through. It was an unchanged lineup from the last game bar Noel-Williams debuting in place of McIntosh.

Things got off to a perfect start for all Dundee fans as inside the first two minutes they took the lead. Nicky Riley did well down the left hand side and cut a superb ball back to the 18 yard box for Stephen O’Donnell to race onto and smash home. 1-0 Dees and surely things were going to be plain sailing this time around.

Things continued in the same vein as Dundee piled on the pressure. Noel-Williams was looking a handful up front and the back four weren’t being tested at all. In the 20th minute, there was more goalmouth action as Jamie Adams sprayed a lovely ball out wide to that man Riley, who jinked his way past one, past two before clipping a ball to the back post where you guessed it, Michael Ordish was on hand to tap home. A superb goal and one that almost certainly put the game beyond doubt. And this time Ordish would have the bragging rights.

Half time came and went, things were going more than smoothly for Matthew McClintock’s side. Gary Harkins looked to have picked up a calf injury, however, he soon ran it off, much to the fans delight. With the clock running down and Elgin still no nearer to threatening, Dundee got the third and final goal of the game. 77 minutes gone and substitute Connor Rennie played a long lofted ball forward where a mix up in the Elgin back four saw Nicky Riley burst through the middle and cheekily chipped the goalkeeper to make it 3-0. Game over and Dundee were through in both cup competitions.
After the match Matthew McClintock spoke to the local newspaper:

Reporter: Matthew, another fine win here for your side, clearly confidence is growing in the players, are you confident of your chances at this stage?

McClintock: Well, it is still very early to be getting carried away but we’ve started with two wins which is important, get that winning feeling instilled so we can kick on when the league campaign starts.

Reporter: Nicky Riley has begun the season in sparkling form, not known for being a wide midfielder, is he happy playing out there?

McClintock: You’d have to ask him that but I’m pleased with his start and you can see why I’ve put him out wide.

Reporter: Another wide man making an impact is Celtic loanee Michael Ordish. How has he settled so far?

McClintock: He’s settled really well and seems to be enjoying his football here. Him and Nicky Riley seem to be forming quite the effective partnership as well, lets hope they keep it up.

Reporter: Thanks for your time.

McClintock: No problem

Thanks FBP, glad you're still following.

Gary Harkins was one of the more respected members of the Dundee squad. Given the captains armband in the summer by Matthew McClintock, he was trusted to lead the club on and off the pitch. The captaincy only solidified his position as one of the senior figures at the club.

Not generally a talker but it was his performances and his conduct that turned people’s heads. A couple of days after the cup win over Elgin, Matthew McClintock opted to change the training regime of the squad and it was a real change.

McClintock informed the trusted Harkins and told him to go and instruct the rest of the side. Harkins gathered the squad in the changing room at the training ground and told the players exactly what was happening.

‘Lads, lads, settle down.’

‘What’s all this about Harks? You aren’t leaving us like ****** Griffiths did, are you?’ Of course, this was Nicky Riley, shouting the odds as ever.

‘No, no, if you’ll give me a minute of your time I will tell you.’ Harkins seemed to be getting frustrated with Riley. He was the only one talking out of the group.

‘That’s a shame, I coulda taken the captaincy’, Riley laughed at his own joke. The trouble was that deep down he was serious.

‘Funny Nicky. I have been asked to let you all know from the gaffer that this morning there’s gonna be a change to training. We will be going off to the local gym where we’re going to do some boxing training. Gaffer thinks things could do with livening up and a bitof a change would do us good.’

The news was met with smiles from the team, thinking it’d be a good laugh and they set off having some banter about who the best boxer was.

The team arrived at the gym, ready for action. The man who would show them the ropes was Billy Robertson, the owner of the gym and a former boxer himself. He taught them the simple basics of jabbing and protection before taking them all to individual punch bags. The squad were enjoying themselves and the punch bags were feeling the force of some of these players fists.

However, as ever, things got out of hand. Loanee Dylan McGowan tripped over a loose bit of equipment and went down on his ankle. Matthew McClintock got the physio around and assessed McGowan who seemed in some discomfort. For some bizarre reason, Nicky Riley was buzzing around, pretending to punch people, taking credit for McGowan’s fall.

‘He only tripped cos he was running away from me, scared of this right hand, look at me, I’m a force to be reckoned with. Isn’t that right Ordish?’

‘Yeah’, Ordish replied with a raised eyebrow. Riley didn’t respond kindly.

‘You raise your eyebrows at something kid? You wanna step in the ring with me do ya? Come on then, me and you, here and now, in front of the lads.’

Most of the team simply shook their heads, laughing at Riley’s typical nonsense. Most of them wanting to knock him out themselves.

‘No thanks Nicky.’ Ordish wasn’t having any of it.

‘You’re a scared little man aren’t you?’ Riley jabbed at Ordish’s arm, pushing him, testing him.

‘Scared of what I can do to you’, he hit harder and harder before BANG.

‘Enough is enough Nicky, you keep running your mouth, whether it be Michael, myself, anyone of the lads, maybe that will shut you up.’

The squad were in shock. Mr. Laidback, the smooth, calm, cool headed captain of the side, Gary Harkins had intervened and knocked Nicky Riley out.

The squad didn’t know how to react, before Rab Douglas summed up how they were feeling and began a round of applause, which all the squad joined in with. Manager Matthew McClintock wondered what all the noise was and went over to the group.

‘What’s happened here? Why is Riley on the floor?’

‘He fell over gaffer’, Rab Douglas wasn’t going to put Harkins in it.

‘That’s a shame, was hoping someone would knock him out.’

The rest of the squad smiled as Harkins winked, seemingly gaining even more respect from his team mates for shutting up the club clown.

Last edited:
Excellent again mate. You've really developed the character of Riley nicely, and now Harkins too. This story is one of my all time favourites

Great story mate, even gave you a mention in my caretaker story.

Whens the next update this is great

---------- Post added at 05:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:04 AM ----------

The riley/ordish affair reminds me of Santi Munez and Hughie McGowan in the first goal film

Thanks very much for all the comments, they're hugely appreciated.

FBP- to hear that from a writer like you is brilliant.

bfcbub- really appreciate your mention in your story, i will follow that with interest.

Footy4life89- i've not seen the goal film so i wouldn't know but glad it's making an impact with you, should be another update later today or tomorrow.

this is really good , i cant wait for the next update and what riley comes back with ;)

Sorry for the delay, been ill over the weekend but here it is:).

Training the next day was an interesting affair for all at the club. The fallout from yesterdays boxing session was what everyone was waiting for. Nicky Riley was the first to arrive at the training ground, he looked like he’d been ten rounds with Mike Tyson. His right eye was badly bruised and manager Matthew McClintock would surely wonder whether Riley did just ‘fall’ at the gym yesterday.

As the players continued to arrive at the training ground, tension seemed to be building. Gary Harkins brushed past Riley in the canteen, the stare between the two said it all.

‘How’s that bruise Nicky?’ Harkins asked sounding deadly serious.

‘How does it look? I think that answers your question Harks.’

‘Look, Nicky, I apologise for hitting you but you have to recognise that you haven’t been here very long and the impression you’ve made off the pitch is significantly different to the one you’ve made on it. You’re a good player, don’t mess it up by being a clown off of it, you’re really rubbing people the wrong way, hopefully that knocks some sense into you.’

Riley seemed a bit surprised by Harkins apology.

‘Harks, I respect you a great deal. I understand that some people don’t like the way I go about my business, but that’s me. I accept your apology and there’s no hard feelings, trust me, I’d probably wanna knock someone like me out as well but this is me, I’m never gonna change and I think you better send that message to the rest of the boys. You may knock me down, but you can‘t break me.’

Riley’s message was loud and clear. Gary Harkins couldn’t quite believe what he was hearing, not even a knock out blow could stop Nicky Riley from running his mouth.

Not been on this for a while, just popped in and read through your story so far, writing style is really good love how the characters of Riley, Ordish and Harkins are being developed.

Cant wait for next update KUTGW!