el_magico89's magician mourinho's4231 strikes back!

elmagico89

Reaction score
I have completely tweaked the legendary mou's4231 tactic from FM11 and finally managed to fit it to FM12.

I have done several tweaks, playing now without a target man, without an offside trap, but indeed with a stopper/cover center back duo, which gave me a solid backline.

Both holding midfielders acting much more deeper now and trying to play lots of direct balls to the wingers and the striker, who constantly try to run behind the opposition d-line.

The game isn't too much focused on the striker anymore and wingers scoring and making lots of assists.

Here is a screenshot of the 4th season of my wba career, where I finally managed to do the final tweaks and had almost a full season to test it...

View attachment 271897

unfortunately, the last game of the season went really unlucky for us.
lyon missed their fifth penalty and I just needed to score to win the cup, but dorrans missed, penalties continued and the rest was just a cruel story...

View attachment 271899View attachment 271898

here is a screenshot of our fixture, while I must say, that I holidayed the last 5-6 games of the league and also all fa and carling cup games have been played with the reserve team and were holidayed aswell

View attachment 271900View attachment 271901View attachment 271902

some of my greatest results

View attachment 271903View attachment 271904View attachment 271905View attachment 271906View attachment 271907

this was my team, while ben arfa, tom cleverley were almost injured for the whole time of the scnd stage of the season. wellbeck came as a back up in the winter transfer period

View attachment 271908

tactic:
those, who followed me in last year's version and used my tactic, know, that I am a huge fan of mourinho and his modern counter attacking system.
I tried my best to create his style in the FM world.
its based on a bit higher d-line, trying to close down the opposition as quickly and early as possible, trying to disturb their build up play, winning the ball back very quickly and starting a quick attack.
those, who are fans of possession football, may not be too happy about it, as it was not created to have more possession than the opposition, but much more to create more clear cut chances than your opponent.
as some of the screenshots show, basically at home, we always dominate in case of possession, but also creating goal chances and shots on target. in away matches, especially against stronger teams or teams, which are level up, we may have less possession and less shots on target, but we definetely create much more dangerous chances and give away much less ccc for the opposition.

player requirements:

gk: must be a sweeper keeper, who can rush out quickly and anticipate situations.
also must be strong in "kicking and throwing".

cb: left cb is a typical cover type center back, who must be quick, must have good anticipation and positioning.
the right cb must be aggressive, tall and also quick, since we play with a higher d-line.

fb: quick, good stamina, good defensive attributes and also good passers, since they are the ones, who are heavily involved in build-up play.
everything else like attacking attributes are just a bonus. for me, the defensive attributes are the most important ones.

dmc: all-rounded midfielders, whose defensive attributes are the local point and then, the higher you play, the more important it is to also have some holding midfielders with good technical or let's say creative skills.
the most important attributes are positioning, bravery, stamina, tackling, marking and passing.
no holding midfielders with the ppm "runs forward whenever possible"!

acm: must be a modern trequartista like özil, who must have a good movement, must be quick, good passer, must be able to anticipate situations.
so off the ball movement, pace, passing, teamwork, anticipation, creativity and flair.

wingers: pacey and flamboyant wingers, who should be dangerous in front of the goal aswell. doesn't matter whether natural wingers or inverted.

striker: must be a poacher type forward. so pace, finishing, composure, off the ball movement and anticipation I would say.

ppm: for all the attacking players I would recommend the "plays through balls whenever possible", for the wingers also "cuts inside" and for the striker "tries to break the offside trap".

an absolute no-go is a striker with the ppm "plays with his back to goal" and holding midfielders with the ppm "runs forward whenever possible"!!!

match preparation: very high teamwork until the season starts, then just low teamwork.
I never change it.

opposition instructions: very rarely, when I for example play against someone like hulk, I tell my players to put him onto his weaker foot. but in general, I never use opposition instructions.

team talks: get a good ***. manager with good man management, motivation, determination and discipline skills and let him do the team talks! I just use my own, when at the end of a game, my assistant recommend to say nothing special, which comes usually after a boring win against a weak team, then I just chose the "I am happy about the result" option in a calm tone, as otherwise, when you don't say anything, players quickly get unhappy.
also make sure, that you chose the highest reputation available!

download:

File-Upload.net - mou-s4231.tac

mou's4231.tac download - 2shared

Last edited:
obviously I have to try this out now with my everton save!

Do you change anything in the tactic away from home?

Will try it out with Bristol when the new transfer update arrives.

cheers

what do you change when facing tougher opponents?
and also do you use a playmaker and a target man

Last edited:
no playmaker, no target man! I never change my tactic and always play wirh the same no matter who I currently face.
just one season before, in the cl semis I beat barca at home 3-1 in the first leg and away I lost 5-0. then I completely tweaked my defence and one season later we faced twice in the group stages and with the exactly same team I got a 2-2 draw in.camp nou and beat them 2-0 at home ;)
pls let me know about your results! youre welcome to post some screenshots :)

This is doing quite well with my Liverpool side. A couple question:1) Is it ok to tinker with it slightly? For example, I have Balotelli and I like to play him as an inside forward. Should I change the role or just leave him as a winger in the AML position?2) Same for Gerrard in the AMR, can I switch him to Advanced Playmaker? (Suarez is my Trequartista)

Last edited:
This is doing quite well with my Liverpool side. A couple question:1) Is it ok to tinker with it slightly? For example, I have Balotelli and I like to play him as an inside forward. Should I change the role or just leave him as a winger in the AML position?2) Same for Gerrard in the AMR, can I switch him to Advanced Playmaker? (Suarez is my Trequartista)

first of all, thx for testing it mate.
would be really nice, if you could do a season update with some screenshots of your results.

now coming to your question: mate, since you yourself have probably noticed it, even though Ive chosen certain roles for my players, it wont mean, theyre playing like their roles dictate them to play.
almost all settings of every player has been changed by me individually. so amr and aml are set as wingers, but if you click on them, you will see, that their wide play has been changed from hug touchline to cut inside, that their crossing is set to rarely, instead their through balls are "often" and so on... the given roles dont mean anything. the only thing which matters are the individual settings.
so, gerrard and balotelli wont be running down the flanks, much more trying to cut in and looking for a through ball or for a shot. especially when they have the ppm "cuts inside" and playing on opposite flanks as inverted wingers (left foot on the right side) they are constantly cutting in and feeding the striker with lots of throug balls. adam lallana got me 21 assists as an aml and score 11 goals.

I personally would take a screenshot of the current individual settings, then change his role to whatever you want, but still if some of the settings have been changed due to another role, I would change them back to the original settings, of how I did them. otherwise it might not work as imagined.
but believe me, it doesnt matter, if you play gerrard on the right flank. he will still play like an advanced playmaker, as long as he doesnt have the ppm" runs with ball on the right side".

View attachment 272020 View attachment 272021

My results before I switched to your tactic look good but I wasn't happy with the performances. The two draws at the start were a bit disappointing but we played well. I'm not quite sure what happened against Spurs, hopefully that was just an anomaly.

My squad is very interchangeable and I still haven't settled on a first 11. I kind of want to move Balotelli back to the wing but Downing has the second highest rating in the league so it'd be a shame to leave him out. I think next season I need to buy a poacher or a trequartista.

im sure the more you play and the better your team gels with this tactic, the results will be a lot better. as the tottenham game, I can only give you the example of my current save with eba, where i managed to beat barca psg milan in the cl an in the final got beaten in penalties against lyon. one season before, saint ettiene beat barca in the champions league final. sometimes football anf football manager are unfortunately not predictable :) but i must say, that the lyon game was the only game i lost with this tactic after it gained 100%fluid.

This tactic woks just beautiful! Tested it half a season with Man Utd ( I know top table team, but i always test with big teams than play with small) and won every game. The tactic is maybe not the best attacking or the best defensive, but definitely one of the best tactics all around. I really like how the AMC makes those runs and the space for a through ball that almost always end up in a CCC'. Good job mate, really like your tactic. :)

This tactic woks just beautiful! Tested it half a season with Man Utd ( I know top table team, but i always test with big teams than play with small) and won every game. The tactic is maybe not the best attacking or the best defensive, but definitely one of the best tactics all around. I really like how the AMC makes those runs and the space for a through ball that almost always end up in a CCC'. Good job mate, really like your tactic. :)
thx mate, my new season has started, I didnt really do any transfers, just sold ben arfa and debuchy and markovic and jankovic have finally got their work permit.
its very funny to see, how manu has an attacking threat with rooney, bale, hazard, chicharito and modric and lose at home against my young team, where I created 6 ccc and could have really banged them, instead it was only a 2-1 win xD

currently 4 games played all 4 win, 14-1 goals. just gonna do some updates after some games.
would be nice, if you guys could also post some screenshots :D

thx mate, my new season has started, I didnt really do any transfers, just sold ben arfa and debuchy and markovic and jankovic have finally got their work permit.
its very funny to see, how manu has an attacking threat with rooney, bale, hazard, chicharito and modric and lose at home against my young team, where I created 6 ccc and could have really banged them, instead it was only a 2-1 win xD

currently 4 games played all 4 win, 14-1 goals. just gonna do some updates after some games.
would be nice, if you guys could also post some screenshots :D

Sure mate, i will create a new game with Q.P.R. later so i'll post some screens tonight. Cheers :)

this tactic is so good its almost a little stupid to use it. Took my team ( Milan ) about 4-5 games to get really into it, but when they did the scoring really took off... Every game against any team with lower rep than me ended in 5 or 10 something goals for me.. Made it pretty boring after a little while so i went back to my original old 4-3-3 where i win with only 1-2 goals on a normal basis :))))

Your tactic was so good it made my game boring! :p If you're able to make it a little worse i'll gladly use it again :)

Any chance you could try making a decent 4-3-1-2 ? Would really be grateful :)

this tactic is so good its almost a little stupid to use it. Took my team ( Milan ) about 4-5 games to get really into it, but when they did the scoring really took off... Every game against any team with lower rep than me ended in 5 or 10 something goals for me.. Made it pretty boring after a little while so i went back to my original old 4-3-3 where i win with only 1-2 goals on a normal basis :))))

Your tactic was so good it made my game boring! :p If you're able to make it a little worse i'll gladly use it again :)

thx mate :D
could we maybe see some screenshots? I have just 6 games left for the first half of the season, gonna do some screens myself later.
would be generally very nice, if you guys could also post some screenshots of your results.
also fell free to tweak it and to let me and other users know about your results with different tweaks ;)