England remain sixth in FIFA world rankings

Yay we went to 52nd :S

We used to be 13th :'(
i dont think Scotland should be as high as 52nd im thinking 203rd just ahead of Wales/Northern Ireland/Ireland XD

I would change my county their 2nd place on the ranking with England's 6th place for only 1 thing. A won match on a specific date which would be:

July 11th, 2010 around 8.30pm :( :'( For the rest I'm happy that such a small country are in the top 10 ranks for many years now :)

Exactly. How are they above Portugal going on the past 4 years?
(going by premier league rules. 3points for win, 1 point for draw, no points for lose)

During World Cup Qualification + World Cup, which is past two years not including friendly's.
Portugal: W6 D6 L2 - 14 games = 24 points
England: W10 D2 L2 - 14 games = 32 points

During UEFA Euro 2008 Qualification + UEFA Euro 2008, which is 2-4 years ago, not including friendly's.
Portugal: W9 D6 L3 - 18 games = 33 points
England: W7 D2 L3 - 12 games = 23 points

Overall
Portugal: W15 D12 L5 - 32 games = 57 points
England W17 D4 L5 - 26 games = 55 points

So yeah, Portugal has played better then England over the past 4 years, but what I neglected to mention on my previous comment, was that recent results are more heavily weighted to help reflect the current competitive state of the team.

Edit: Found another ranking system base on Elo ranking.
http://www.eloratings.net/world.html
(look who's 6th still)

Last edited:
(going by premier league rules. 3points for win, 1 point for draw, no points for lose)

During World Cup Qualification + World Cup, which is past two years not including friendly's.
Portugal: W6 D6 L2 - 14 games = 24 points
England: W10 D2 L2 - 14 games = 32 points

During UEFA Euro 2008 Qualification + UEFA Euro 2008, which is 2-4 years ago, not including friendly's.
Portugal: W9 D6 L3 - 18 games = 33 points
England: W7 D2 L3 - 12 games = 23 points

Overall
Portugal: W15 D12 L5 - 32 games = 57 points
England W17 D4 L5 - 26 games = 55 points

So yeah, Portugal has played better then England over the past 4 years, but what I neglected to mention on my previous comment, was that recent results are more heavily weighted to help reflect the current competitive state of the team.

Edit: Found another ranking system base on Elo ranking.
http://www.eloratings.net/world.html
(look who's 6th still)

My point is looking at it since Euro 2004.

Portugal: Runners Up
England: Quarter Finals

WC 2006:
Portugal: 4th Place

Euro 2008:
England: Did not qualify

World Cup 2010:
Portugal: Last 16
England: Last 16

Seems to me that Portugal have done much better than England...

WC 2006:

Euro 2008:

World Cup 2010:

you have forgotten all the teams you have played in between. rankings are calculated on a specific formula, its purely mathematical

you have forgotten all the teams you have played in between. rankings are calculated on a specific formula, its purely mathematical

But it's still ludicrous for England to be 6th and Portugal 8th considering before this summers World Cup we were 3rd.

We both went out at the same stage and suddenly we're 8th and they are above us? That can't make sense..

WC 2006:

Euro 2008:

World Cup 2010:

And my point is it's based on the past 4 years. Not 6 ;)

But it's still ludicrous for England to be 6th and Portugal 8th considering before this summers World Cup we were 3rd.

We both went out at the same stage and suddenly we're 8th and they are above us? That can't make sense..

but you didn't top your group, winning all but one of the qualifying game.

And my point is it's based on the past 4 years. Not 6 ;)

Ok well, 2 fourth place finishes and a last 16 is better than a Quarter Final, Last 16 and not qualifying for the tournament?

---------- Post added at 05:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:59 PM ----------

But we qualified did we not? We were 3rd in the rankings before this summers World Cup. That's after qualification and you doing that. What changed in a tournament where we went out at the same stage?

Ok well, 2 fourth place finishes and a last 16 is better than a Quarter Final, Last 16 and not qualifying for the tournament?

World Cup 2006 isn't included fyi. That's over 4 years ago. (Also explains why Portugal magically fell in rank from 3rd to 8th)
And Portugal didn't get 4th place in Euro 2008, you got knocked out in the quarter-finals. The 3rd place game is for the loser of the Semi final, and even then, I don't think the Euro competition has 3rd place game.

World Cup 2006 isn't included fyi. That's over 4 years ago. (Also explains why Portugal magically fell in rank from 3rd to 4th. )
And Portugal didn't get 4th place in Euro 2008, you got knocked out in the quarter-finals. The 3rd place game is for the loser of the Semi final, and even then, I don't think the Euro competition has 3rd place game.

Yeah we lost to Germany in the quarters my bad. Still, England didn't qualify...

Yeah we lost to Germany in the quarters my bad. Still, England didn't qualify...
they are done on a mathematical formula, there is no subjectivity here, just numbers in and rankings out

Yeah but as I said, Recent results are weighted heavier to help reflect the current team's lineup. In this case, the last 2 years England had a good world cup qualifying campaign while portugal had problems.

I think the way in which it's done is ridiculous. I wouldn't class England as a top 6 side but it's not down to me.

I think the way in which it's done is ridiculous. I wouldn't class England as a top 6 side but it's not down to me.

England aren't a top 10 side at the moment, but I wouldn't class Portugal as one either.

England aren't a top 10 side at the moment, but I wouldn't class Portugal as one either.

Beating the World Champions 4-0 says otherwise ;) (K)

You did NOT top your group, the US did. I think DMF has a point, we know it's based on a formula but it's rather strange that Portugal was 3rd before the World Cup and fell to 8th while England stayed in 6th even though they were better in the WC (they had a much better goal differential in a tough group and then lost 1-0 to the eventual champions, while England had a weak group, struggled, and then got beat 4-1).