England side to face France

• Thread starter Thread starter Mike.
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 472
  • Views Views 23K
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that so surely this is the FA's fuckup.
i never said it wasnt. But if we had paid the millions, who you think gets hurt by it? Not the fools who run it, but the grass root schemes, the FA is already tapped out, thanks to the joke that was building wembley

At least you didn't get pounded by Egypt six ways from Sunday. All my hopes for a 2022 WC or a major bit of silverware in the Asian cup are fast fading. And the young kids looked pretty good against a good (even World class) collection of individuals. Take your lumps in friendlies they don't mean squat

I watched the match, well, up to I saw the second goal, and then I thought, let's watch the Apprentice and saw a Penguin going down a ski-slope, the joys of evening entertainment.

In fact, the to be honest, the penguin skiing represents England entirely, in other words not very good. I saw enough of the match to realise that our attacking threat was nonplused, confused, and poor. Carroll played well for England, but playing route 1 doesn't work when you have one huge target man striker, with no one running onto the ball. I think it was Gerrard that did this once, but when he did, he made a tame shot.

Anyway, Capello, please please play with Mr. Hough's tactic in future please :)

Last edited:
Peter Crouch's goalscoring record is absolute class, why does he not start for England? I know Carrol's in great form, but you can't hide from how good his goals 2 games ratio is.

I think half of Crouch's goals came against Trinidad and Tobago 4 years ago lol :)

Scott Button i'm calling you out!

You say he called up Davies and *Bothroyd to the England squad to make headlines? I'm sure he has had enough of being in the media, and please spell Bothroyd correctly, you seem to be suggesting we have Aidy Boothroyd up front. Davies has statistically been the best English centre forward so far this season, as for Bothroyd for a friendly with an array of injuries in that position he selected a player who had scored 15 goals in 16 championship games prior to his call up. I for one think Carlton Cole was a worse decision who is even disliked by his own fans and has been labelled 'a poor man's Emile Heskey'. Previously on msn you called Bothroyd 'a second rate championship striker' I don't think 15 goals in 16 games is second rate and he is widely recognised as one of the division's best players. Your previous post about axing over 25's is ridiculous, i'm sure you would be the first to moan if we didn't qualify for 2012, you aimlessly seem to regurgitate whatever appears on The Sun's backpages. Gerrard, Ferdinand and Ashley Cole are 3 of the few world class players we have. Jordan Henderson has a lot of potential but he showed he has a long way to go before competing at the highest level. It would be far better to select the likes of Gerrard, Ferdinand and A.Cole with Wilshere, Jones and Gibbs shadowing them in the squad. Thus learning from them and gaining experience without being throw in the deep end.

You say he called up Davies and *Bothroyd to the England squad to make headlines? I'm sure he has had enough of being in the media, and please spell Bothroyd correctly, you seem to be suggesting we have Aidy Boothroyd up front. Davies has statistically been the best English centre forward so far this season, as for Bothroyd for a friendly with an array of injuries in that position he selected a player who had scored 15 goals in 16 championship games prior to his call up. I for one think Carlton Cole was a worse decision who is even disliked by his own fans and has been labelled 'a poor man's Emile Heskey'. Previously on msn you called Bothroyd 'a second rate championship striker' I don't think 15 goals in 16 games is second rate and he is widely recognised as one of the division's best players. Your previous post about axing over 25's is ridiculous, i'm sure you would be the first to moan if we didn't qualify for 2012, you aimlessly seem to regurgitate whatever appears on The Sun's backpages. Gerrard, Ferdinand and Ashley Cole are 3 of the few world class players we have. Jordan Henderson has a lot of potential but he showed he has a long way to go before competing at the highest level. It would be far better to select the likes of Gerrard, Ferdinand and A.Cole with Wilshere, Jones and Gibbs shadowing them in the squad. Thus learning from them and gaining experience without being throw in the deep end.

welcome to the forum Tatty my good friend,

Now, I said he was secound rate in terms of international quality. and you know it. I dont remember wanting or asking for Cole to be in the squad. The thing that gets to me with Davies is he called him up played him for 10 minutes off the bench and then dropped him from the squad entirely, if you can tell me the logic in that, i love to hear it?

I didn't say you mentioned Carlton Cole. I just said you seemed to focus on Bothroyd when Cole appearing in the squad was far more of a travesty. Whatever you said, he isn't a second rate championship striker and if you meant it internationally, it was his first cap? I didn't think he did a lot wrong, no worse than anyone else, not saying I want to see him in another squad but he's english, therefore he gets my full support. I'm not Fabio Capello so can't answer your question regarding Davies, maybe he wanted to have a lot at alternatives? Carroll and Crouch were already selected, both are target men so possibly he didn't want 3 similar strikers in the squad. Bothroyd may be 6ft+ but his game is with the ball at his feet. I just think it's time to stop messing about with the 4-2-3-1's, we've seen it doesn't work. We're not Spain, we don't have Xavi or Iniesta in midfield or anything close and need to stop trying to emulate them. Play old fashioned 4-4-2, who cares about playing good football? A win is the priority, good football is merely a bonus.

I didn't say you mentioned Carlton Cole. I just said you seemed to focus on Bothroyd when Cole appearing in the squad was far more of a travesty. Whatever you said, he isn't a second rate championship striker and if you meant it internationally, it was his first cap? I didn't think he did a lot wrong, no worse than anyone else, not saying I want to see him in another squad but he's english, therefore he gets my full support. I'm not Fabio Capello so can't answer your question regarding Davies, maybe he wanted to have a lot at alternatives? Carroll and Crouch were already selected, both are target men so possibly he didn't want 3 similar strikers in the squad. Bothroyd may be 6ft+ but his game is with the ball at his feet. I just think it's time to stop messing about with the 4-2-3-1's, we've seen it doesn't work. We're not Spain, we don't have Xavi or Iniesta in midfield or anything close and need to stop trying to emulate them. Play old fashioned 4-4-2, who cares about playing good football? A win is the priority, good football is merely a bonus.

Yes, because that worked wonders for us in the world cup. ;)

I didn't say you mentioned Carlton Cole. I just said you seemed to focus on Bothroyd when Cole appearing in the squad was far more of a travesty. Whatever you said, he isn't a second rate championship striker and if you meant it internationally, it was his first cap?

There is a reason he isnt in the Premier league and what Cardiff is his 5th club in 10 years??

I didn't think he did a lot wrong, no worse than anyone else, not saying I want to see him in another squad but he's english, therefore he gets my full support. I'm not Fabio Capello so can't answer your question regarding Davies, maybe he wanted to have a lot at alternatives? Carroll and Crouch were already selected, both are target men so possibly he didn't want 3 similar strikers in the squad. Bothroyd may be 6ft+ but his game is with the ball at his feet.

But Why pick him and not play him again, seems strange to me.

I just think it's time to stop messing about with the 4-2-3-1's, we've seen it doesn't work. We're not Spain, we don't have Xavi or Iniesta in midfield or anything close and need to stop trying to emulate them. Play old fashioned 4-4-2, who cares about playing good football? A win is the priority, good football is merely a bonus.

4-4-2 was great at the world cup.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a reason he isnt in the Premier league and what Cardiff is his 5th club in 10 years??
I didn't think he did a lot wrong, no worse than anyone else, not saying I want to see him in another squad but he's english, therefore he gets my full support. I'm not Fabio Capello so can't answer your question regarding Davies, maybe he wanted to have a lot at alternatives? Carroll and Crouch were already selected, both are target men so possibly he didn't want 3 similar strikers in the squad. Bothroyd may be 6ft+ but his game is with the ball at his feet.[/QUOTE]

But Why pick him and not play him again, seems strange to me.

[/QUOTE] I just think it's time to stop messing about with the 4-2-3-1's, we've seen it doesn't work. We're not Spain, we don't have Xavi or Iniesta in midfield or anything close and need to stop trying to emulate them. Play old fashioned 4-4-2, who cares about playing good football? A win is the priority, good football is merely a bonus.[/QUOTE]

4-4-2 was great at the world cup.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but the reason is not his footballing ability.

I just think it's time to stop messing about with the 4-2-3-1's, we've seen it doesn't work. We're not Spain, we don't have Xavi or Iniesta in midfield or anything close and need to stop trying to emulate them. Play old fashioned 4-4-2, who cares about playing good football? A win is the priority, good football is merely a bonus.

Madness. You can play a 4-2-3-1 without trying to emulate Spain, you know, and working on our own varient of it is something every England fan should want to see. See Gerrard in behind Rooney, Wazza dropping deep to dictate play as Gerrard becomes a temporary striker. Thudd plays as a deep-lying playmaker, someone of the Hargo mould (Nige Reo-Coker?) to destroy next to him and we're set.

Also, who says we don't have anyone like Xavi? Huddlestone is like a bigger, stronger Xavi. Whilst I grant you he's not as technically gifted, few are, and physically he's more imposing. If we can build our game around our strengths (physical fitness, high tempo football, intensive pressing) we can begin to compete. We don't necessarily need a Xavi or an Iniesta to make a 4-2-3-1 work. Iniesta is a superb player, but he doesn't have the same kind of attributes Gerrard has (physically, Gerrard is almost the perfect specimen: quick, strong, agile with plenty of stamina. Not I'm not saying Gerrard is a better player, before anyone jumps onto me because of that) and wouldn't function as well in an English 4-2-3-1 as Gerrard would, and vice-versa.

The system wasn't the issue at the World Cup. Was the fact that our best player, Rooney didn't turn up and our two central midfielders were poor. We played Milner and Gerrard as wingers when they are both much better centrally. Scott you say labelled Bothroyd a second rate championship striker, 15 goals in 16 games. Andy Carroll was a championship player this time last season I bet you would have moaned if he appeared in a squad this time last year. If you read what I put, or can read, then I said I don't agree with him appearing in a squad. Just that he is English, has played well this season, albeit in the Championship, but nonetheless a competive league. We've played 4-2-3-1 and it hasn't worked for whatever reason. Comparing Huddlestone to Xavi? Laughable. As well as this ahead of the France friendly Huddlestone was ruled out for three months. A good example of how you need to check your facts before putting a point across. Reo-Coker? Laughable. Would have Scott Parker, Joey Barton, Kevin Nolan, Jack Wilshere (who has shown good defensive tenacity), Michael Carrick Jordan Henderson and Jack Rodwell. ahead of him. In the France friendly Carroll looked incredibly isolated, I would have liked to have seen him and Crouch be partnered upfront with Gerrard alongside a more defensive player, with natural wingers outwide. Scott, be a man next time, rather than sitting there on msn saying how great it is to see me on the forum, say what you think instead of picking your nose with your gob open and going crying to the rest of the forum fleas.

The system wasn't the issue at the World Cup. Was the fact that our best player, Rooney didn't turn up and our two central midfielders were poor. We played Milner and Gerrard as wingers when they are both much better centrally. Scott you say labelled Bothroyd a second rate championship striker, 15 goals in 16 games. Andy Carroll was a championship player this time last season I bet you would have moaned if he appeared in a squad this time last year. If you read what I put, or can read, then I said I don't agree with him appearing in a squad. Just that he is English, has played well this season, albeit in the Championship, but nonetheless a competive league. We've played 4-2-3-1 and it hasn't worked for whatever reason. Comparing Huddlestone to Xavi? Laughable. As well as this ahead of the France friendly Huddlestone was ruled out for three months. A good example of how you need to check your facts before putting a point across. Reo-Coker? Laughable. Would have Scott Parker, Joey Barton, Kevin Nolan, Jack Wilshere (who has shown good defensive tenacity), Michael Carrick Jordan Henderson and Jack Rodwell. ahead of him. In the France friendly Carroll looked incredibly isolated, I would have liked to have seen him and Crouch be partnered upfront with Gerrard alongside a more defensive player, with natural wingers outwide. Scott, be a man next time, rather than sitting there on msn saying how great it is to see me on the forum, say what you think instead of picking your nose with your gob open and going crying to the rest of the forum fleas.
Wow someones got them selves wound up. First of all, Carrol is now proven in the Premier league, So him being a championship striker a last year, is kinda worthless information. He is also low 20s not late 20s like Bothroyd.

I Never compared Huddlestone to xavi, that was GodCubed. I never once said we should play 4-2-3-1 or anything of the sort, i havent mentioned Systems once.

and i said on MSN i use the forum mainly to annoy people nowadays( Trolling) and it is good to have you on the forum. i never went crying to any off them, they just in the opinion your ideas where wrong

The system wasn't the issue at the World Cup. Was the fact that our best player, Rooney didn't turn up and our two central midfielders were poor.

Yes. But generally, you develop a system that gives your players the best chance to perform. In fact...

We played Milner and Gerrard as wingers when they are both much better centrally.

So the system WAS the problem. Make your mind up. :S

We've played 4-2-3-1 and it hasn't worked for whatever reason.

And the 4-4-2 has been a superb success, hasn't it...

Comparing Huddlestone to Xavi? Laughable.

Both deep-lying registas, both good on the ball, both creative, both positionally disciplined. As I said earlier, I'm not saying he's as good as Xavi - that WOULD be laughable - but he's in the same mould.

As well as this ahead of the France friendly Huddlestone was ruled out for three months. A good example of how you need to check your facts before putting a point across.

I was talking in general.

Reo-Coker? Laughable.

So this is the second time you've just dismissed a point I've made in a mocking manner without giving any reason for why. I am of the opinion Reo-Coker could be a good player for England. He's become a quality player, a lynchpin of the Villa midfield and has blossomed recently. Granted, he's injured at the minute, but as I'm talking for the future it's fair enough.

Would have Scott Parker, Joey Barton, Kevin Nolan, Jack Wilshere (who has shown good defensive tenacity), Michael Carrick Jordan Henderson and Jack Rodwell. ahead of him.

In order: Ageing, a ******* psychopath, not a defensive midfielder, wasted in a defensive midfield role, a passer rather than a destroyer, not a defensive midfielder and a defensive midfielder, but I would prefer to see him at centre-back.

In the France friendly Carroll looked incredibly isolated, I would have liked to have seen him and Crouch be partnered upfront with Gerrard alongside a more defensive player, with natural wingers outwide.

So what you want is for us to plonk two target men up front and play a rigid 4-4-2 with a creator-destroyer axis in midfield and quick wingers.

So, basically, what you want is for England to play tactics from about 10 years ago. It would be an absolute massacre.

paragraphs for the win. seriously

Your 4-4-2 is somewhat laughable, you want to play the same formations that copes largely with smaller sides (croatia the exception) and struggles with any sides at our above our level.

Yon completely ignore the fact that we dont have the type of defensive player to even partner gerrard in a 4-4-2 (his name is owen hargreaves and he is crocked), and the nearest player we have to filling that gap is rodwell and he is nowhere near ready.

A good example of you not watching football, have you seen what kind of player reo coker is? He is the simple destroyer; track the man, win the ball, pass the ball. He needs not do anything else, place him alongside thudd or carrick, then you have the passer, a player who sits deep, wins the ball on the interception (both of them do it incredibly well), and picks out players at all distances (again both players are great at this, Xabi Alonso and Xavi have both referred to carrick as one of the most important players for england, we're just not very good at using him, unlike SAF at united)

the fact that you would play wilshere in a defensive role over reo coker, makes me question everything you said alone.

Carroll and Crouch up front, so your play would consist of dreict play from the wings. Do you watch international football? That is meat and drink to the top defenders out there, they will bat out the crosses all day, not to mention ouor wingers arent exactly great crossers.

One last thing, keep the insults out of this, This "flea" takes a dim view of people who cant debate without insulting.

Last edited:
I think the most apt response would be, 'spelling , for the win'. Im not sure i can take your point about Reo Coker seriously either.
'We played Milner and Gerrard as wingers when they are both much better centrally.

So the system WAS the problem. Make your mind up.'
Um no, read the sentence again and he means that the right players weren't played on the wing, doesn't knock the actual system :/
And the fact that you concede its laughable to suggest that huddlestone is as good as xavi plays into matts original point saying that we dont have players that can match the top teams when we play them at their own game; it's all well and good saying we have such and such in a similiar mould, but if they are a poor mans version of the player whom they are compared to then well... you get the picture.
And Scott, i dont think he was solely replying to you if you hadn't guessed LOL

Just a few observations...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back