England squad named for Qualifiers

• Thread starter Thread starter Mike.
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 68
  • Views Views 3K
never said anything about name mate. gibbs has got considerably more prem experience than carroll. scoring in the prem in a few games does not a england player make. hes got time on his hands dont see the need to rush it. if hes still doing the business in jan by all means give him a shot

Carroll is in his second season in the Premier League/

All this about Carroll is starting to get on my nerves, he has has a couple of good games. Let his form continue to hopefully rise and he can get a call up during the next set of fixtures if he deserves it. Carlton Cole seems to be the backup to Peter Crouch in the "larger striker's" role ahead of him at the moment and deservedly so

However I would still pick Rooney, Defoe, Crouch & Bent ahead of him

Glad to see Jagielka back in the mix. Before he was injured he was absolutely brilliant.

Strange one to put Carlton Cole and Upson in not had the best of start this season and are generally **** poor IMO would have been better of sticking Kevin Davies in for Cole and Richards for Upson

Strange one to put Carlton Cole and Upson in not had the best of start this season and are generally **** poor IMO would have been better of sticking Kevin Davies in for Cole and Richards for Upson
richards is in the under 21s but i would like to see him recalled in the future, no point in davies since capello doesnt seem as a future england player

richards is in the under 21s but i would like to see him recalled in the future, no point in davies since capello doesnt seem as a future england player

Yeah Richards deserves another chance, true about Davies I just feel he is a beast love him as a player lol

Very pleased to see Joleon in the squad, hes a really good defender, before he got injured last year he was solid, everyone raved about him when he was everton, just because we overpaid for him does not make him **** all of a sudden. Im glad Lampard is injured, hes a waste of space for England, Capello will never drop him though, the media would flame him.

decent squad that shud be good enough to win those matches. But it's England so we know it can't be as simple and easy as that

Am actually quite interested to see how the English lad Scott Sutter gets on for Switzerland -- be an experience for him to remember if he made his debut against the country of his birth.

Stockdale and Zamora missed out through injury which is terrible news for them. Can't believe Upson is back in the squad.

Very pleased to see Joleon in the squad, hes a really good defender, before he got injured last year he was solid, everyone raved about him when he was everton, just because we overpaid for him does not make him **** all of a sudden. Im glad Lampard is injured, hes a waste of space for England, Capello will never drop him though, the media would flame him.
he was **** for city, regardless of how much you payed for him, hes decent cover for england, nothing more than that. lampard shouldnt start unless hes covering for gerrard at amc, then he can take up a deeper role in a 4-3-3

Last edited:
With only 3 natural central midfielders in the squad (Carrick, Barry, Gerrard) i can only see England playing 4-4-2 which shouldnt be happening. It would be a struggle to play the 4-2-3-1 that england should be playing because with barry and carrick in the middle, with gerrard off of Rooney, there would be no cover for centre midfield, other than Milner who isnt a natural central midfielder. Capello needs to change something with the 4-4-2 to make it work if this is how he intends to play, because recent results are proving that the 4-4-2 doesnt work, and the gerrard/rooney combination does!

Well he wouldnt of took so many strikers if we werent going to play a 4 4 2 in one of the games... I agree its not our best formation though.

Other than that England are looking promising with Joe Hart, Adam Johnson and Theo Walcott all looking quality atm and Joe Hart and Adam Johnson are just what we need at the moment.

I think there should have been a place for Scott Parker after his recent performances for West Ham, was their best player by far along with Keiron Dyer for West Ham against Man U, was everywhere on the pitch, breaking up moves and creating chances.

there would be no cover for centre midfield, other than Milner who isnt a natural central midfielder.

I would disagree about Milner. I think recently, he was proving with Villa that it has become his preferred position.

Also, Young's been being played as a second striker recently, a role he's comfortable in. Both Young and Milner can cover across the midfield, albeit in Young's case uncomfortably in deep positions. In theory, then, you could play a 4-2-3-1 with 4 of England's 5 wide players involved, or all 5 if you were feeling slightly unhinged and played Walcott as a striker.

I would disagree about Milner. I think recently, he was proving with Villa that it has become his preferred position.

Its just about where Milner would fit in centre midfield and I would rather have him right wing supporting Johnson because lets face it he needs it defensivly haha...

Its just about where Milner would fit in centre midfield and I would rather have him right wing supporting Johnson because lets face it he needs it defensivly haha...

----------Milner-----Barry----------

Walcott-----Gerrard-----A.Johnson

---------------Rooney---------------

Then theres carrick on the bench, or we can revert back to 4-4-2 if we have a comfortable lead?

----------Milner-----Barry----------

Walcott-----Gerrard-----A.Johnson

---------------Rooney---------------

Then theres carrick on the bench, or we can revert back to 4-4-2 if we have a comfortable lead?

What, and surrender a numerical advantage in midfield? Nah, go 4-3-3, take off Gerrard and bolster with Carrick's ball retention.

Back