England Squad to face Denmark

• Thread starter Thread starter Jack Fulham
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 304
  • Views Views 15K
we look fluid, and comfortable in 4-2-3-1, here's hoping we stick with it. Johnson worries me constantly though

Agreed, Johnson has been poor at best this game. With his only positive contribution that tackle and assist for the goal, I've never actually watched Kelly play but people seem to believe he is a much better RB so we should clearly give him a shot. We can't carry on with a liability at Right Back.

Not long time ago City had many internationals playing...Johnson, Barry, Milner, Lescott, Hart, SWP...who do they have now? Only Milner or Johnson and of course Hart are starting.

Aston Villa is taking over as the english team.

Btw....Argentina-Portugal game looking good :D 1-1 after first half.. Di Maria and Ronaldo have scored ;)

Agreed, Johnson has been poor at best this game. With his only positive contribution that tackle and assist for the goal, I've never actually watched Kelly play but people seem to believe he is a much better RB so we should clearly give him a shot. We can't carry on with a liability at Right Back.
honestly, Kelly is much better defensively, and is learning to get better offensively. But when you have someone like walcott ahead you dont need to be a genuine attacking fullback. If he keeps it up he should be pushing for that place Same goes for Kyle walker from the little ive seen of him

Really pleased with the performance, have looked shaky in defence at times, but have controlled things in the second half. Young has been impressive since coming on. Selection will certainly be interesting for the next game, a lot of players have really staked a claim for a starting spot here.

Stupid quote of the night
"When the roofs on the stadium holds 35,000"
So when the roofs off, does the stadium get smaller?????
Denmark v England

Really pleased with the performance, have looked shaky in defence at times, but have controlled things in the second half. Young has been impressive since coming on. Selection will certainly be interesting for the next game, a lot of players have really staked a claim for a starting spot here.
very pleased. when was the last time we could say we had a selection headache?

can someone in the crowd plz give milner his legs back plz shockin challenge

---------- Post added at 02:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:11 AM ----------

good result england and well played apart from jhonson villa boys especially impressive

Was well impressed by the whole team more or less (minus Johnson). Young and Bent looked positively dangerous at times, and before that Rooney was drifting around and pulling people towards him to great effect. Wilshere certainly impressed.

Decent display from England. Wilshere, Rooney and Lampard combo worked very well in the first half and Capello has a choice when Gerrard comes back in the side. Also Terry and Dawson looked very comfortable at the back together. Much better display and football was much more fluid.

was very impressed with that performance. thought we looked a decent outfit, not top, but played some good stuff. impressed with bent, looking much more confident than in previous England appearances, and walcott did great for that first goal.

Maybe with a fit, firing and happy Bent we've finally found the right partner for Rooney. He's a good age and is a more rounded (as well as more consistent) a player than Defoe. Could work.

Maybe with a fit, firing and happy Bent we've finally found the right partner for Rooney. He's a good age and is a more rounded (as well as more consistent) a player than Defoe. Could work.

In all honesty, my views on Bent is that he is good at playing off the last man and his positional sense is good but you need more than that as an International striker. I'd question his ability to hold up the ball and he strays offside quite a bit. I am saying this though because in all the games I've seen him play against Fulham, he's been easily silenced. Having said that, Lineker was very successful for England for being in the right place at the right time.

Pretty satisfied with this. Passed the ball quite well, Wilshere had a good debut and we looked genuinely confortable on the ball.

I'm hoping that he doesn't throw Gerrard straight back in in the next game, surely worth using he Lampard/ Wilshere combo again.

Pleased for Bent to get another international goal :wub: and was also quite impressed with Eriksson of Denmark, whose quality of delivery into the box was superb.

---------- Post added at 04:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:49 AM ----------

In all honesty, my views on Bent is that he is good at playing off the last man and his positional sense is good but you need more than that as an International striker. I'd question his ability to hold up the ball and he strays offside quite a bit. I am saying this though because in all the games I've seen him play against Fulham, he's been easily silenced. Having said that, Lineker was very successful for England for being in the right place at the right time.

Plus Bent can be known to buckle under pressure occasionaly, Defoe is the more clinical finisher.

Interesting. You've said Lineker, but some contemporary examples can be made: Huntelaar, for example, or possibly Benzema. Bent's ability to hold the ball up is improving, as he showed against Man City.

Honestly though, debating Bent's weaknesses is distracting from his main strength: goals. It's the most precious commodity in the game, and he has a knack for them. You can have Heskey holding it up for Rooney all day, but I'd rather I had Bent recieving the pass from Rooney and scoring. The pace of our attack nowadays means we hardly need to hold it up too much for support, and the method of play in the match tonight showed that we can progress without a reliance on the traditional big English centre-forward.

Rooney is our one world-class striker, but like it or not he's not a prolific goalscorer. He's a sublime creator, one of the best "in the hole" players in the world right now, but no matter his exploits last season he is not the best finisher in the world. To fill that ***** in his armour, he needs a striker who is pacey, strong, decent in the air, very good at getting into space and with decent touch. Bent fills that particular requirement.

I preferred prolific Rooney to to creator Rooney :'(

However, my preference for who too partner him would be extremely biased :D

I preferred prolific Rooney to to creator Rooney :'(

However, my preference for who too partner him would be extremely biased :D

Andy Johnson! :P ****, I'd like it.

Am I the only one slightly intimidated by the amount of options we suddenly have? A while ago we couldn't buy a decent striker for Rooney to work off, now we have something like five all vying for a spot. Likewise centre-back was covered by Ferdinand and Terry with no real deputies, ditto central midfield. Now it's all changed. Of course, we still have Johnson at right-back but that can change...

Last edited:
Andy Johnson! :P ****, I'd like it.

Am I the only one slightly intimidated by the amount of options we suddenly have? A while ago we couldn't buy a decent striker for Rooney to work off, now we have something like five all vying for a spot. Likewise centre-back was covered by Ferdinand and Terry with no real deputies, ditto central midfield. Now it's all changed. Of course, we still have Johnson at right-back but that can change...

Yeah, I think it's a real selection dilemma, but then that's not exactly a bad thing. Thought Rooney, Walcott and Milner all had good games, while Bent did what he does. But Young also really impressed me when he came on, and that's before we even get down to the centre mid's. Also, Kelly and Walker are also looking bright prospects, will be interesting to see which can make it their own in a fear years.

Agree with you that Rooney is better as a creator with others ahead of him, though. And on form, he's one of the best at that role, one of the most complete forwards in the world. Maybe I'm biased though? XD

Back