England squad to face Montenegro & U21's to face Romania

• Thread starter Thread starter Jack Fulham
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 228
  • Views Views 13K

Jack Fulham

Reaction score
England squad to face Montenegro on 12 October:

Ben Foster (Birmingham City), Robert Green (West Ham United), Joe Hart (Manchester City)

Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United), Joleon Lescott (Manchester City), John Terry (Chelsea), Stephen Warnock (Aston Villa)

Gareth Barry (Manchester City), Joe Cole (Liverpool), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Tom Huddlestone (Tottenham Hotspur), Adam Johnson (Manchester City), Aaron Lennon (Tottenham Hotspur), Jack Wilshere (Arsenal), Shaun Wright-Phillips (Manchester City), Ashley Young (Aston Villa)

Darren Bent (Sunderland), Peter Crouch (Tottenham Hotspur), Kevin Davies (Bolton Wanderers), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United)

Kevin Davies being only real shock although Warnock is ahead of Baines. Hopefully Adam Johnson will start.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/9056797.stm

U21 Squad

Fielding (Blackburn), Loach (Watford), Smithies (Huddersfield), Steele (Boro)

Bertrant (Forest- Chelsea), Gibbs (Arsenal), Jones (Blackburn), Kelly (L'pool), Mancienne (Wolves- Chelsea), Richards (M City), Smalling (M United), Walker (QPR - Spurs)

Albrington (Villa), Cleverly (Wigan - M United), Cork (Burnley - Chelsea), Henderson (Sunderland), Lansbury (Arsenal), Muamba (Bolton), Rose (Bristol C - Spurs), Wilshere (Arsenal)

Delfounseo (Villa), Sturridge (Chelsea), Welbeck (Sunderland - M United)

http://www.thefa.com/England/mens-u...10/England-Romania/Match-Previews/squad-named

Last edited:
I'm not being bias here, but Warnock is a better player overall than Baines, he better at joining attacks, and sometimes scores goals. Kevin Davies is a shock but with most of the English strikers injured and Heskey quited he's the best England got.

Hmm, slightly surprised with the inclusion of Kevin Davies. Bar him, no surprises for me, looks a good squad.

I'm not being bias here, but Warnock is a better player overall than Baines, he better at joining attacks, and sometimes scores goals. Kevin Davies is a shock but with most of the English strikers injured and Heskey quited he's the best England got.

disagree 100%, Michael Owen deserves another crack at international level. Michael's record when playing for England speaks for itself, am bit ****** off he has been over looked again.

Michael Owen and Kevin Davies are two completely different kind of strikers. He's got two target mans in his team.

I think you're being a bit more biased than you think.

MisterStubbs said:
disagree 100%, Michael Owen deserves another crack at international level. Michael's record when playing for England speaks for itself, am bit ****** off he has been over looked again.

No he doesn't. Scoring a few goals after being a substitute and bit-part player ever since United signed him doesn't suddenly make him good enough.

Owen form with England been awful, the last time he played for England, he got injured.

I am happy with the inclusion of Huddlestone. I would like to see Huddlestone and Wilshire start in the centre of the pack, for the superb passing vision they could supply. We shouldn't need much cover for the defence against Montenegro, in theory anyway.

Owen form with England been awful, the last time he played for England, he got injured.

how does getting injured make his form for England awful then?

---------- Post added at 03:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:07 PM ----------

I think you're being a bit more biased than you think.

No he doesn't. Scoring a few goals after being a substitute and bit-part player ever since United signed him doesn't suddenly make him good enough.

a few more goals than Davies has scored this season and from coming off the bench? Davies starts every game, is a very unattractive player and doesn't have a good goal scoring record.

put it this way, if we was 0-0 last minute and the ball dropped to the feet of either Davies or Owen in the penalty box, i no who i'd put money on scoring.

The last time he play for England was in the 2006 World Cup against Sweden and he got injured and kept getting injured after that, he's not the same player as he was 5 years ago.

---------- Post added at 03:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:07 PM ----------

a few more goals than Davies has scored this season and from coming off the bench? Davies starts every game, is a very unattractive player and doesn't have a good goal scoring record.

put it this way, if we was 0-0 last minute and the ball dropped to the feet of either Davies or Owen in the penalty box, i no who i'd put money on scoring.
Davies does his job, Owen is a carling cup player at united. No way does Owen deserve to be in the england frame again there are at least 10 strikers before him

Last edited:
owen doesnt deserve a call up, we are always talking about picking those who are playing, hes a bit part player for us right now,, and a couple of goals doesnt show thats hes back

I am happy with the inclusion of Huddlestone. I would like to see Huddlestone and Wilshire start in the centre of the pack, for the superb passing vision they could supply. We shouldn't need much cover for the defence against Montenegro, in theory anyway.

Simon Vukcevic and Mirko Vucinic

its about time thudd got a call up. as nuno said there is still the two V's who pose a threat, and we are lucky that Jovetic is out injured. but we should still dominate the midfield.

not sure about Warnock, would rather have Baines or Lescott there and include Micah Richards or Shawcross maybe, even Cahill...

Glad to see Huddlestone there, very much deserved! (Barry is SO SO ****, I dont get what ppl see in him, he is only left footed and he is ****!)

Cannot stand Davies! such a crappy player, im glad Bent got called up, he is a fantastic striker!

not such a bad team, some funny mediocre players included, but as long as Joe Hart starts, we all good.. :)

The last time he play for England was in the 2006 World Cup against Sweden and he got injured and kept getting injured after that, he's not the same player as he was 5 years ago.

Last time he played for England was v France in March 08, before that he had scored v Russia and Estonia in Euro 2008 qualifying. Would've been a decent option from the bench.
Personally I still can't get why Wright-Phillips keeps getting picked! Doesn't start for City and when he comes on offers very little

Surely you have better options than calling up a 33 year old who is barely good enough for the premiership?

The only reason I can think of for this inclusion is Stuart Pearce wants all his options available for the play off game.

Rubbish. Warnock's the complete opposite: he's a solid, reliable left back who keeps it simple and occasionally joins in the attack. Baines is a dynamic, attacking player who offers a threat down the wing as well as accurate crosses and good dead-ball skills.

Am I the only one who thinks Davies being called up is alright? He's a bit like Heskey - he's good at what he does, in my opinion one of the best in the country at it. He's a pure target man, holds the ball up extremely well and offers a physical presence. I don't think he'll start anyway.

Rubbish. Warnock's the complete opposite: he's a solid, reliable left back who keeps it simple and occasionally joins in the attack. Baines is a dynamic, attacking player who offers a threat down the wing as well as accurate crosses and good dead-ball skills.

Am I the only one who thinks Davies being called up is alright? He's a bit like Heskey - he's good at what he does, in my opinion one of the best in the country at it. He's a pure target man, holds the ball up extremely well and offers a physical presence. I don't think he'll start anyway.
Agree 100% about Davies, one of the best target men in the prem

Back