England squad to face Montenegro & U21's to face Romania

• Thread starter Thread starter Jack Fulham
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 228
  • Views Views 13K
Get ready for a game of long ball... Why oh why is Davies in the squad? Surely even Andy Carroll is better than him?

Good on Kevin Davies. If he gets a chance in the game, I'd be intrigued to see his performance at international level. Would top it if he scored!

"And that tops off Davies' hat-trick! Glorious performance by the debutant, nobody expected this in the last 20 minutes! England lead 3-2"

"And that tops off Davies' hat-trick! Glorious performance by the debutant, nobody expected this in the last 20 minutes! England lead 3-2"

LOOL! You could just imagine the commentator on the night saying that, ahaha.

Even still people like Agbonlahor and Carroll are better. Are they both in the U-21 squad?

Find Agbonlahor too similar to Bent, I think Capello has tried him and decided that he isn't what the squad needs. Historically, Capello has always gone for two target man which have been Heskey and Crouch. I imagine it's now Zamora and Crouch but due to injury, sadly Bobby can't make. I'd rather see Carroll in there instead of Davies because I think Davies would give away too many fouls on the international stage and it would be good experience just for Carroll to train with the squad. Carroll has been picked for neither side.

U21 Squad added to OP for those interested.

Surprised to see Wilshere starting in the full squad, i thought he'd be drafted in after the playoff. Together with Gibbs, who looks like he won't get a call up with the inclusion of Ashley Cole and Steven Warnock :(

Why was Carroll not picked then? (Although i don't think he's up for it, he's better than Kevin Davies :$)

Don't understand the inclusion of Lescott, he's awful IMO, certainly nowhere near the price tag Everton put on him, and Man City paid (But who is at City?) Strong squad though, should be a win. Is it at Wembley or in Montenegro?
carroll was dropped by houghton on form reasons apparetnly so think that went against him

Or Jagielka..Who do you think will be captain tomorrow Madsheep?

Jags is injured as well I'm afraid. I'd like to see Cahill play but it will be a Rio - Lescott partnership.

I reckon Rio will be captain as well.

Or Jagielka..Who do you think will be captain tomorrow Madsheep?
heard jags is out too. If Gerrard plays, he should be captain, no question about it. If SAF can take the band from him over his fitness surely Capello can too. and Gerrard has been very good on and off the pitch with the armband, it seemingly brings the best from him.

But think It will be Rio :S

heard jags is out too. If Gerrard plays, he should be captain, no question about it. If SAF can take the band from him over his fitness surely Capello can too. and Gerrard has been very good on and off the pitch with the armband, it seemingly brings the best from him.

But think It will be Rio :S

Agreed on Gerrard, it should be him. Reckon it could finally bring out the best in him like it has been doing recently.

the team I would play:

----------------------Hart--------------------
G. Johnson - Rio - Lescott - Cole
A. Johnson - Gerrard - Barry - J. Cole
-------------W. Rooney - D. Bent---------

no real complaints with the squad he has picked. i think we should go with a full strength side, as montenegro shouldnt be underestimated

---------- Post added at 11:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:32 PM ----------

in response to some people saying Caroll should have been called up, perhaps he wasnt because of the attention that is beginning to go his way. There has been a lot of focus on him recently and it might just be a good thing to take him away from the limelight for a bit. im not saying this is the reason but it might be

Hart

G. Johnson - Rio - Cahill - Cole
Barry - Thudd
A. Johnson - Gerrard - Young
Rooney

This gets my vote. Please Capello, please play a five man midfield.

With this formation, we've got the solidity of Barry and the passing range of Thudd providing a solid base for the rest of the team. Behind them, Rio and Cahill are both accomplished ball-players, a rare thing for English defenders nowadays. Use Barry as the Khedira-esque link man between defence and attack, as Thudd is more disciplined defensively. A. Johnson and Young are both superb inverted wingers, allowing Cole and G. Johnson to bomb on, with the two wingers switching flanks at will. Finally, experiment with Gerrard and Rooney, have them switch throughout the game. Get Gerrard to play a Cahill-esque focal point role with Rooney drifting wherever he likes.

Last edited:
Hart

G. Johnson - Rio - Cahill - Cole

Barry - Thudd
A. Johnson - Gerrard - Young
Rooney

This gets my vote. Please Capello, please play a five man midfield.

With this formation, we've got the solidity of Barry and the passing range of Thudd providing a solid base for the rest of the team. Behind them, Rio and Cahill are both accomplished ball-players, a rare thing for English defenders nowadays. Use Barry as the Khedira-esque link man between defence and attack, as Thudd is more disciplined defensively. A. Johnson and Young are both superb inverted wingers, allowing Cole and G. Johnson to bomb on, with the two wingers switching flanks at will. Finally, experiment with Gerrard and Rooney, have them switch throughout the game. Get Gerrard to play a Cahill-esque focal point role with Rooney drifting wherever he likes.

Couldnt agree more. similarly to what i chose in my line up having inverted wingers allows our two attacking full backs to bomb forward, especially as they are bth arguably better offensively than defensively.

I would be quite happy with that formation as well as a 4-4-2. The only drawback IMO is that England dont really have a traditional holding midfield player who is exceptional at marking and winning the ball (makelele etc) Barry and Thudd are okay, but their best attributes lie elsewhere

I would be quite happy with that formation as well as a 4-4-2. The only drawback IMO is that England dont really have a traditional holding midfield player who is exceptional at marking and winning the ball (makelele etc) Barry and Thudd are okay, but their best attributes lie elsewhere

Yep, we're more or less screwed in that department. What wouldn't I give for a fit Owen Hargreaves...

Back