England Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter iNickStuff
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4K
  • Views Views 377K
Lol, I wouldn't blame Hoddle if he said 'thanks for the offer, but kindly **** off'. He was massively mistreated by the FA and by England supporters. I rather think whether the fans want him would be the least important bit of that particular decision.

Roy Hodgson's career is not just 'done well with Fulham but failed with Liverpool', don't be a fool. Hodgson's career has spanned five different decades and encompassed excellent spells all over the continent, and notably successful stints at Finland and especially Switzerland. The important bit there is that he had international experience. What other English manager can we name with that experience? I'd say that alone made him worthy to be on the shortlist.

So what manager? You can't just criticise without providing an alternative. Especially given this squad is actually pretty good and doesn't include too many players that you could say are playing badly.

I think we overhype the important of international experience, it's basically an easier and more relaxed job than a club manager.

Ok, but if I mention someone you'll just say we can't get them, so it's kind of pointless. Because we don't actually know who would want it, I didn't think a manager like Fabio Capello would ever take it.

You mean the same Rooney that was our best player at the World Cup? Not to mention you're just what iffing about Gerrard.

Do you actually think he was? Although there wasn't much competition he did waste almost every important chance we had

You mean the same Rooney that was our best player at the World Cup? Not to mention you're just what iffing about Gerrard.

Arguable, he missed sitters and if he had scored we may of well got through. I can remember him missing 1 clearly in 2 of the 3 games.

Do you actually think he was? Although there wasn't much competition he did waste almost every important chance we had

Of our first team... yeah, just about. Studge and Sterling did okay too I guess. Slim pickings really, but Rooney was our only credible threat throughout.

Arguable, he missed sitters and if he had scored we may of well got through. I can remember him missing 1 clearly in 2 of the 3 games.

But he also put Sturridge's goal against Italy on a plate, scored against Uruguay and hit the bar before that (and was our best player that game by some margin).

I think we overhype the important of international experience, it's basically an easier and more relaxed job than a club manager.

I entirely disagree that it's both easier and more relaxed. It's a whole different skillset, especially given a manager only has limited time to implement his own scheme and get to know his players. Easier it ain't, as evidenced by how many skilled managers fail at international level. And as for relaxed, have you SEEN the media in regards to England?!

Ok, but if I mention someone you'll just say we can't get them, so it's kind of pointless. Because we don't actually know who would want it, I didn't think a manager like Fabio Capello would ever take it.

It's not pointless at all, it illustrates my point perfectly. If there are no credible alternatives to Hodgson, then why are we lambasting him so much? It's an exercise in futility and overreaction.

It's not pointless at all, it illustrates my point perfectly. If there are no credible alternatives to Hodgson, then why are we lambasting him so much? It's an exercise in futility and overreaction.

How am I over-reacting? Hodgson failed at the World Cup, he didn't get us out of the group. He doesn't deserve to stay any longer.

No it's not fair to say because you don't know who would want it necessarily, as we never know these things. Would you ever of thought Fabio Capello would of managed England? I certainly didn't, so therefore who's to say someone else of a high regard at the moment wouldn't be interested, they may like the challenge of taking England back. God knows why, but you never know.

I entirely disagree that it's both easier and more relaxed. It's a whole different skillset, especially given a manager only has limited time to implement his own scheme and get to know his players. Easier it ain't, as evidenced by how many skilled managers fail at international level. And as for relaxed, have you SEEN the media in regards to England?!.

Well yes true there is that, but then you could say you've got at a country like England who often get relatively easy qualifying groups, a lot of time to experiment anyway. I mean even LVG admitted this with the Dutch, against the smaller nations in qualifying he would experiment with certain aspects, like pressing for the whole game etc.

A club manager is a day to day job. The pressure in terms of expectation maybe yes.

How am I over-reacting? Hodgson failed at the World Cup, he didn't get us out of the group. He doesn't deserve to stay any longer.

No it's not fair to say because you don't know who would want it necessarily, as we never know these things. Would you ever of thought Fabio Capello would of managed England? I certainly didn't, so therefore who's to say someone else of a high regard at the moment wouldn't be interested, they may like the challenge of taking England back. God knows why, but you never know.

So what, we should just sack Hodgson and hope someone comes up? Good one.

Fact is there's very very few top class managers available, and fewer still that would take the England job. Capello was at least free and available at that time, who is better than Hodgson and either free or feasibly willing to let go of his job to take the poisoned chalice that is managing England? Amusingly, the only one other than Trapattoni who is both free and a superior manager to England is the one and only David Moyes, and he is far from a credible alternative.

Fact is there's very very few top class managers available, and fewer still that would take the England job. Capello was at least free and available at that time, who is better than Hodgson and either free or feasibly willing to let go of his job to take the poisoned chalice that is managing England? Amusingly, the only one other than Trapattoni who is both free and a superior manager to England is the one and only David Moyes, and he is far from a credible alternative.

No I didn't say that, I said he should of straight after the World Cup, like most others who failed, we would of had a long time then to assess the possibilities.

Well yes true there is that, but then you could say you've got at a country like England who often get relatively easy qualifying groups, a lot of time to experiment anyway. I mean even LVG admitted this with the Dutch, against the smaller nations in qualifying he would experiment with certain aspects, like pressing for the whole game etc.

A club manager is a day to day job. The pressure in terms of expectation maybe yes.

There's a reason no top team in international football plays particularly expansive or inventive formations. There just isn't enough time to implement a good system. The whole reason why LVG had to experiment against smaller nations was because he didn't have enough time to try it in extensive club-style training sessions week after week.

No I didn't say that, I said he should of been after the World Cup, like most others who failed, we would of had a long time then to assess the possibilities.

And the rest of my post? It stands whether you want to sack him now or then.

Well, another one I'd seriously consider is Jurgenn Klinsmann, but then again you can just come back and say to me he wouldn't consider it. We just don't know these things though for certain.

A German managing England is kind of funny, but I think he'd offer a lot to the position. Especially considering Germany is one of the finest examples at the moment.

Well, another one I'd seriously consider is Jurgenn Klinsmann, but then again you can just come back and say to me he wouldn't consider it. We just don't know these things though for certain.

A German managing England is kind of funny, but I think he'd offer a lot to the position. Especially considering Germany is one of the finest examples at the moment.

Klinsmann would be a good choice, but I doubt it would happen not just because he's got a good gig and is beloved by the Americans, but also because he really demands control of multiple facets of an international side. With Germany and the USA, for example, he has nominal control of pretty much everything right down to the youth setups. That's how he operates, with a long term outlook. It's a reason that would make him great for England, but it's the same reason I doubt the FA would take him, because they hate not having control. One only needs to wheel out the old Clough quote to see that!

Klinnsman has turned down numerous jobs because he says he loves the California weather. Yes that has been a major reason he has quoted.

Klinnsman has turned down numerous jobs because he says he loves the California weather. Yes that has been a major reason he has quoted.

Are you suggesting that northwest London doesn't have comparable weather to the south west coast of the USA? SURELY NOT BY GOD

If Roy was to call It a day I reckon the FA should go for Robert Martinez. He is well liked amongst his peers and has one of the most in depth analytical teams at Everton which he can bring across into the national st up. He would be a good fit with his methods.

If Roy was to call It a day I reckon the FA should go for Robert Martinez. He is well liked amongst his peers and has one of the most in depth analytical teams at Everton which he can bring across into the national st up. He would be a good fit with his methods.

I hope not. I like Roberto Martinez, I don't want to see him broken and a figure of dislike all across England.

They have tanning salons. Not quite the same though is it.

Phil Brown for England.

Good call but he's doing something good at Everton and I think it's a lot more advantageous to him right now than the prospect of managing England.

Back