England Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter iNickStuff
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4K
  • Views Views 377K
I am struggling to see how Hodgson intends to play with his 4-2-3-1/4-4-2

Firstly with the Gerrard-Parker double pivot in the centre. Parker fulfills the role of a destroyer but Gerrard is certainly not the 'passer' the double pivot requires. The ideal player for this role was obviously Carrick and to a certain extent Lampard. Gerrard should be pushed up to AMC and be given a free role behind someone like Rooney where he can create and score goals instead of simply distributing the ball to the forwards

Personally I would like to see Carrick played beside Parker. Rooney in a free role behind Welbeck. Young and Ox on the wings. Thats a well-balanced and very good side in my opinion. When Rooney is suspended use Gerrard in the AMC role instead instead of putting a square peg in a round hole by playing him in a double pivot

Would rather use Milner/Jones as a CM runner, and use his energy to shuttle in between. We no longer have that positionally adept player, so rather than relying on skill/tactic, we will have to utilise that role as a hard working shuttler, though in fairness to Milner, he is fairly good tactically.

**** I'd prefer to have Martinez over Roy, just do not like the negativity of his system and not to mention if you go a goal down you are pretty much having to change the whole system completely.

Did you get educated in La Masia by any chance :P. Only way of playing football is beautiful football

I do not really care about how negative his system is as long as it gets results. At the moment however we are struggling to create any chances on the counter despite our good defending. A large part of that reason is because Gerrard is simply incapable of distributing the ball quickly to the forwards. Lampard could have done that to a certain extent; Carrick would have been ideal

Eng1.bmp

A picture speaks a thousand words. Most of Gerrard's 15 passes were backwards and it took 49 minutes for him to make a forward pass. Which was a header. He made 9 interceptions though but thats not exactly hard when you consider how deep we defended and outnumbered Belgium in the final third

Would rather use Milner/Jones as a CM runner, and use his energy to shuttle in between. We no longer have that positionally adept player, so rather than relying on skill/tactic, we will have to utilise that role as a hard working shuttler, though in fairness to Milner, he is fairly good tactically.

You are right considering we do not have the right players to continue with a passer-destroyer axis. Still I fail to see what Hodgson is playing at by playing Gerrard in the double pivot. Gerrard should not even be in the side unless its an AMC role behind Welbeck where he can truly shine

Otherwise he should strictly be used as an impact sub but since he is captain I guess that will not happen and we are looking at a badly balanced and disjointed double pivot of Parker-Gerrard in the middle for the Euro's

For ages I've said that Gerrard cannot prosper in a double pivot because he tries Hollywood passes too much. Now, it seems, he's taken it to the other extreme and refuses to play forward passes at all. Sigh.

Can i just ask, when Greece won the euro's, how did they do it, what formation and style of play did they employ, i remember them been like england's tactical style now, defending deep then grabbing single goals and making it all the way to the final, could this work for england with some more prep on counter attacking side of the tactic. YES OR NO ??? Have rooney spraying balls to either welbeck, left side young, right side walcott, useing there pace to counter attack.

Last edited:
Can i just ask, when Greece won the euro's, how did they do it, what formation and style of play did they employ, i remember them been like england's tactical style now, defending deep then grabbing single goals and making it all the way to the final, could this work for england with some more prep on counter attacking side of the tactic. YES OR NO ??? Have rooney spraying balls to either welbeck, left side young, right side walcott, useing there pace to counter attack.

Wishful thinking. Greece were ultra defensive, ultra well-drilled, had one of the most effective set-piece routines in history, and more importantly had been putting together their gameplan for three years under one of the most talented coaches in the world.

Did you get educated in La Masia by any chance :P. Only way of playing football is beautiful football

I do not really care about how negative his system is as long as it gets results. At the moment however we are struggling to create any chances on the counter despite our good defending. A large part of that reason is because Gerrard is simply incapable of distributing the ball quickly to the forwards. Lampard could have done that to a certain extent; Carrick would have been ideal

Eng1.bmp

A picture speaks a thousand words. Most of Gerrard's 15 passes were backwards and it took 49 minutes for him to make a forward pass. Which was a header. He made 9 interceptions though but thats not exactly hard when you consider how deep we defended and outnumbered Belgium in the final third

If you do not mind me asking, where did you get those graphs from?

For ages I've said that Gerrard cannot prosper in a double pivot because he tries Hollywood passes too much. Now, it seems, he's taken it to the other extreme and refuses to play forward passes at all. Sigh.

You know things are bad when the player who is supposed to be the link between your midfield and attack only makes 15 passes throughout the game with the majority of them not even forward

I am starting to get the impression that the same people on here who came onto the Liverpool board and started to berate Liverpool fans over Hodgson are also the same ones now starting to see how frustrating and negative he can play when he gets a job considered to be a 'big post'.

I don't think we'll do a great deal at the Euro's. I think we're probably good enough to qualify (although that's no certainty) but if we get one of the top 4/5 teams in Europe we'll be out on our arses as usually. Those in favour of this style of play assume we'll win with it. I'm more worried about scoring the goals to get out of the group in the first place.

I am starting to get the impression that the same people on here who came onto the Liverpool board and started to berate Liverpool fans over Hodgson are also the same ones now starting to see how frustrating and negative he can play when he gets a job considered to be a 'big post'.

I don't think we'll do a great deal at the Euro's. I think we're probably good enough to qualify (although that's no certainty) but if we get one of the top 4/5 teams in Europe we'll be out on our arses as usually. Those in favour of this style of play assume we'll win with it. I'm more worried about scoring the goals to get out of the group in the first place.

The question isnt about a big job, but whether he learned from his mistakes at Liverpool. Very early days, but so far, looking like a no. Weirdly the less he treats it like a big job, the better it would actually be.

In my Opinion when Rooney comes back it will get even worse.. Rooney is an outstanding player BUT playing as a lone striker, he likes to drift, pick up the ball and almost play in that AMC role

this obviously means we have no central striker who will just stay up there... noticed it every time Rooney nearly plays, in fact England have a better win Percentage without Rooney.. Great Player, Played wrong.

In my Opinion when Rooney comes back it will get even worse.. Rooney is an outstanding player BUT playing as a lone striker, he likes to drift, pick up the ball and almost play in that AMC role

this obviously means we have no central striker who will just stay up there... noticed it every time Rooney nearly plays, in fact England have a better win Percentage without Rooney.. Great Player, Played wrong.

Rooney will be playing behind either Welbeck or Carroll after ban, even Roy knows that is his best position. When Defoe came on as a sub yesterday Rooney was playing behind him as a second striker.

Thats a case of statistics being missused because Rooney only misses unimportant friendlys which England win and when Rooney is playing its normally in a proper game in a tournament/qualifiers.

Knowing Hodgson, anything can happen and i can see Rooney Playing ST

I would rather see Rooney up there instead of Carroll to be fair, just a direct option which is a 'hoof it up to Caroll' policy.

I would rather see Rooney up there instead of Carroll to be fair, just a direct option which is a 'hoof it up to Caroll' policy.

I wouldnt. we wouldnt then have a striker... and with Hodgson going for the ' no-one will ever score past us' there will be no-one up there to keep the ball

I wouldnt. we wouldnt then have a striker... and with Hodgson going for the ' no-one will ever score past us' there will be no-one up there to keep the ball

I think Hodgson knows where Rooney plays best, he already mentioned it in an interview thank goodness.

this obviously means we have no central striker who will just stay up there... noticed it every time Rooney nearly plays

False nine.

As such, playing him as a lone striker would be an excellent option.

Think I would rather see Sven back in charge rather than having to watch England play so deep with two banks of four relying on two or three chances in a game, if we are lucky. This is just rediculous for the talent we have coming through, we have better players than most nations apart from the obvious.

Back