England Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter iNickStuff
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4K
  • Views Views 377K
Until Wednesday England Home shirt is £20 and England away shirt is £15. Stock on away shirt seems to be very limited, I'm hoping they will have more stock tomorrow. Thought I'd post it incase anyone is interested.

Got the away one few weeks ago, well worth it.

Got the away one few weeks ago, well worth it.
I preferred it to the home kit (plus I already have white Leeds shirt) but only size they have is 34 inch chest which is too small. So now I really want it! :P

Okkkkaaayyyy. I've been away for a bit moving house, and suffering without internet (which is **** when you want to talk about football but there's no one around!!!), I have to say Hodgson is doing (IMO) a good job and getting the basics right-and handling the press with ease. However, the Sweden match once again demonstrated the players frailties. Mental strength and fitness. I mean how was Milner knackered after 50 odd minutes for gods sake? And as usual, we go one goal up, then the players go away, pick up some shovels and dig holes for themselves......then surprise surprise. Sweden equalise and we fall to bits. It was absolutely cringeworthy at times. Sure they do it on purpose just for the excitement at times lol.

On the plus sides though, Wellbeck is doing well, Carroll did well as did Walcott when they came on. But it's pretty apparent that we're not going to do so well IF we make the knockout rounds, simply because of the distinct lack of ball control. I cant remember an England team doing so badly when it comes to possession. It's all very well having back to the wall, or admirable defending when the chips are down, but really. The majority of the time it's self inflicted, and we shouldn't be in a position to have to defend for our lives if we knew how to keep the ball, and complete the simplist of short passes. It's not that hard to do.

So that's why I'm going for a 0-0 tomorrow. We may have Rooney back, but I don't think we'll do enough of the basics right to get anything.

Okkkkaaayyyy. I've been away for a bit moving house, and suffering without internet (which is **** when you want to talk about football but there's no one around!!!), I have to say Hodgson is doing (IMO) a good job and getting the basics right-and handling the press with ease. However, the Sweden match once again demonstrated the players frailties. Mental strength and fitness. I mean how was Milner knackered after 50 odd minutes for gods sake? And as usual, we go one goal up, then the players go away, pick up some shovels and dig holes for themselves......then surprise surprise. Sweden equalise and we fall to bits. It was absolutely cringeworthy at times. Sure they do it on purpose just for the excitement at times lol.

On the plus sides though, Wellbeck is doing well, Carroll did well as did Walcott when they came on. But it's pretty apparent that we're not going to do so well IF we make the knockout rounds, simply because of the distinct lack of ball control. I cant remember an England team doing so badly when it comes to possession. It's all very well having back to the wall, or admirable defending when the chips are down, but really. The majority of the time it's self inflicted, and we shouldn't be in a position to have to defend for our lives if we knew how to keep the ball, and complete the simplist of short passes. It's not that hard to do.

So that's why I'm going for a 0-0 tomorrow. We may have Rooney back, but I don't think we'll do enough of the basics right to get anything.

Bit harsh, I think since Roy has taken over he has done very well. In the first two friendlies his priorities was sorting out the organisation and shape of the squad, to make us hard to break down, but since then in training he has worked on attacking and ball control and even though it may not be anything spectacular at the moment, it certainly is getting better, we passed it around quite well against Sweden.

With Rooney back it can only be a good thing for England, he links up play very well and I assume Welbeck will be starting (they have a good partnership). The only slight criticism I would have at the moment is Milner starting, he puts a shift in.... but that is about it. I would much rather we had Walcott or the Ox starting, give us some pace on the wings, scary for any defence.

Tonight against Ukraine will be far from easy, but as the performances seem to be getting slightly better game by game, I am confident tonight we will have too much for Ukraine in the end (never going to be easy lol). Hopefully we can bag a few goals because we really need that top spot in the group, Spain in the Quarters would not be very nice, having said that, they have only looked good against Ireland, who are extremely poor in the Euro's.

Joke of the week (by far)...

"Be our Pele" - Roy Hodgson to Wayne Rooney.

These guys actually think they are going to win it!!!!

Rooney couldn't lace Pele's boots, let alone 'emulate' him.

BigEasyG

Joke of the week (by far)...

"Be our Pele" - Roy Hodgson to Wayne Rooney.

These guys actually think they are going to win it!!!!

Rooney couldn't lace Pele's boots, let alone 'emulate' him.

BigEasyG

I think Roy was talking about Pele's impact on the team as well as his ability, although Rooney may or may not be quite as good as Pele was, he certainly has an impact on any team in which he plays and can make a difference.

Last edited:
zzeezzy

impact?? Steve Gerrard has poise, control and savvy in abundance- that's impact.

when Rooney has a dummy spit (again) in this tourney, you will all be calling for his head.

i cant accept that he has 'an impact' on any team that "emulates" (anywhere near) the great Pele.

just my opinion though...

BigEasyG

zzeezzy

impact?? Steve Gerrard has poise, control and savvy in abundance- that's impact.

when Rooney has a dummy spit (again) in this tourney, you will all be calling for his head.

i cant accept that he has 'an impact' on any team that "emulates" (anywhere near) the great Pele.

BigEasyG

Steven Gerrard is not much of an impact player anymore, but is still a very good player. But before when he used to be able to change a game for Liverpool he just can't do that now.

Comparing Rooney to Pele is not really the point, but for England Rooney is their biggest player, who can make something happen. Oh and his temperament has much improved now, that has been proved for a long time.

Bit harsh, I think since Roy has taken over he has done very well. In the first two friendlies his priorities was sorting out the organisation and shape of the squad, to make us hard to break down, but since then in training he has worked on attacking and ball control and even though it may not be anything spectacular at the moment, it certainly is getting better, we passed it around quite well against Sweden.

With Rooney back it can only be a good thing for England, he links up play very well and I assume Welbeck will be starting (they have a good partnership). The only slight criticism I would have at the moment is Milner starting, he puts a shift in.... but that is about it. I would much rather we had Walcott or the Ox starting, give us some pace on the wings, scary for any defence.

Tonight against Ukraine will be far from easy, but as the performances seem to be getting slightly better game by game, I am confident tonight we will have too much for Ukraine in the end (never going to be easy lol). Hopefully we can bag a few goals because we really need that top spot in the group, Spain in the Quarters would not be very nice, having said that, they have only looked good against Ireland, who are extremely poor in the Euro's.

I agree with you about Roy-he has done well. Like I mentioned he focuses on the basics of what we're supposed to do. What I meant though, if we concede a goal we just some to go to pieces instead of just calming down and focusing on scoring again-we just seem to panic. I personally think it's a case of either trying far too hard, or pressuring themselves too much. And after we take the lead, we have a tendency to sit a little too deep for my liking and at times get a little bit complacent as shown by some sloppy passing.

And the Ukraine game will definately not be easy, which is pretty much why I plumped for a 0-0. I would love to see the win, but I won't hold my breath. I just see this tournament tbh as a rebuilding exercise, and giving other players a chance to show what they can do in the future. Which Carroll and Welbeck did very well-Welbeck especially. The further we get is a bonus for me.

zzeezzy

BigEasyG
Rooney is England's best player BY FAR so I have no idea what you're saying

zzeezzy

BigEasyG

You do realise the Pele quote was based on the style, and was made in 2006. Not because he was as good as Pele. And if you are questionings his impact for any team, have you been watching United for the last 5 years? Because his impact has been massive.

Also his temprament is much improved, and its not as if Gerrard doesnt have a bit of streak of his own.

Why must things come down to clubs?

You do realise the Pele quote was based on the style, and was made in 2006. Not because he was as good as Pele. And if you are questionings his impact for any team, have you been watching United for the last 5 years? Because his impact has been massive.

Also his temprament is much improved, and its not as if Gerrard doesnt have a bit of streak of his own.

Why must things come down to clubs?

I wonder if thats a more recent thing with the "new generation" of "fans". Even if a player plays for the national side, just because he's from a rival club, he'll NEVER get any credit whatsoever, wether it's he's playing well, changed his behaviour or whatever. Because to be honest I honestly don't remember this **** couple of decades back. People actually credited a rival player for playing well for the national side, gave a bit of praise for this and that.

Not every rival fan does it granted, but it's still a sad state of affairs.

I wonder if thats a more recent thing with the "new generation" of "fans". Even if a player plays for the national side, just because he's from a rival club, he'll NEVER get any credit whatsoever, wether it's he's playing well, changed his behaviour or whatever. Because to be honest I honestly don't remember this **** couple of decades back. People actually credited a rival player for playing well for the national side, gave a bit of praise for this and that.

Not every rival fan does it granted, but it's still a sad state of affairs.

I dont get it. Like Ashley Cole, though its not as bad as it used to be, but he got booed with his every touch, been one of our best players for the last 10 years.

I dont get it. Like Ashley Cole, though its not as bad as it used to be, but he got booed with his every touch, been one of our best players for the last 10 years.

Have to admit I don't understand it myself. If a fan is blinded by hatred for a player that much than I guess those tinted glasses will never come off, which is a shame. I guess if that player they hate so much went to their club, played their hearts out and played brilliantly, they'd still get abuse from that said person. Whatever the reason should support the team as a whole, and will them to win, rather than pay about £40 for a ticket, and spend the match concentrating their hatred on said player. Of course it's up to them to do it, but it just doesn't make any sense.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if we got out of our one dimensional 442 4411 now we're out of yet another tournament? I know it's not going to happen under Roy but I'd like us to experiment a little with a few formations/systems and maybe attack the opposition. I can't remember the last we went out and attacked and even when we have it's never been under a fluid system.

Might sound fickle coming from a Chelsea fan after this season but I'd much rather go out playing in an attacking way with a few goals and memories than sticking everyone behind the ball and getting taught a lesson like kids in school, I can't think of anything memorable from this tournament regarding England.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if we got out of our one dimensional 442 4411 now we're out of yet another tournament? I know it's not going to happen under Roy but I'd like us to experiment a little with a few formations/systems and maybe attack the opposition. I can't remember the last we went out and attacked and even when we have it's never been under a fluid system.

Might sound fickle coming from a Chelsea fan after this season but I'd much rather go out playing in an attacking way with a few goals and memories than sticking everyone behind the ball and getting taught a lesson like kids in school, I can't think of anything memorable from this tournament regarding England.

Most likely because we don't have the players technically to pull that off in a first eleven.

I don't understand the papers recently calling for our own Pirlo, when we have at least 2 players that are anything close to him in Paul Scholes and Michael Carrick, it's ridiculous really, without a doubt Parker and Gerrard has to be one of the weakest cm partnerships I've ever seen, seriously Gerrard's legs are gone, I don't think I saw him make a tackle all game, Parker for all his bravery and what not, has absolutely no technical ability, at least a Scholes or Carrick would of made this English be able to keep possession a lot easier, oh and how I hate the way the English media dictates who should play and who shouldn't....

Just a thought... Might be a stupid thought though as I'm not the most tactically adept person.
We all know that Cleverly and Wilshere are going to be our best midfielder's for the years to come, if Wilshere recent injuries haven't hampered his ability, but are we going to have the same problem with them as we had with Lampard and Gerrard? Meaning, we couldn't find a way for both of them to play together effectively since they are both attacking midfielder's and are best when just outside the 18 yard box.
Aren't Cleverly and Wilshere the same? Won't we be stuck with the same situation of having 2 great midfielder's that can't play together? And will it be worse because Rooney, and Welbeck(?), likes to drop deep and help dictate the play?
We'll just have loads of possession around the box, but as soon as we lose it, we'll be outnumbered at the back.

Just a reminder, I could just be talking a load of bollocks since like I said, I'm not the most tactically adept person.

Last edited:
Just a thought... Might be a stupid thought though as I'm not the most tactically adept person.
We all know that Cleverly and Wilshere are going to be our best midfielder's for the years to come, if Wilshere recent injuries haven't hampered his ability, but are we going to have the same problem with them as we had with Lampard and Gerrard? Meaning, we couldn't find a way for both of them to play together effectively since they are both attacking midfielder's and are best when just outside the 18 yard box.
Aren't Cleverly and Wilshere the same? Won't we be stuck with the same situation of having 2 great midfielder's that can't play together? And will it be worse because Rooney, and Welbeck(?), likes to drop deep and help dictate the play?
We'll just have loads of possession around the box, but as soon as we lose it, we'll be outnumbered at the back.

Just a reminder, I could just be talking a load of bollocks since like I said, I'm not the most tactically adept person.

Cleverley and Wilshere are both capable of sitting deep, so you can field one, or you can field both.

Dont really agree with Cleverly being our best in years to come, he could but he hasn't shown enough or as much as Wilshere in my eyes.

Back