England Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter iNickStuff
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4K
  • Views Views 377K
Not a bad call for Britton. Except Cahill, a defender, has gotten injured and thus common sense would dictate we replace him with a defender. Shocker

Jesus. Jags replaced Barry for your information. See Irish Scouse, you can't expect me to drop when someone quote me with these type of posts.

RB: Johnson, Jones
CB: Jags, Lescott, Terry, At worst Jones.
LB: Baines, Cole.

And now CM:Parker, Gerrard (who is just average CM) and then? Milner? Jones?

Pfft. You should have asked Roy why Barry was replaced by Jags. Shocker.

Not sure how you can say anything I post is a dig after you post this...

So that is a dig? It is what Terry is.

I never called out anyone with
You clearly have nothing to retort to the arguments posted by those who do not agree with your opinion along with zzeezy
Which should have been "You clearly have nothing to retort to the assumptions".

Jesus. Jags replaced Barry for your information. See Irish Scouse, you can't expect me to drop when someone quote me with these type of posts.

RB: Johnson, Jones
CB: Jags, Lescott, Terry, At worst Jones.
LB: Baines, Cole.

And now CM:Parker, Gerrard (who is just average CM) and then? Milner? Jones?

Pfft. You should have asked Roy why Barry was replaced by Jags. Shocker.

If you are suggesting we replace Cahill with Britton. Then this becomes an entirely different matter. Apologies for not asking Roy that question :P

Because you clearly do not except to say that Rio Ferdinand is better than Kelly which does not matter considering that neither of them will play at all. Also you have a mis-guided view about Kelly and you state that he has not played CB in his life for the senior team ignoring the fact that he can.

Not to mention you somehow managed to deviate the topic to Terry. Probably as some sort of pathetic jibe ignoring the fact that we are playing with a deep line and Terry is undoubtedly one of the finest in the world for this sort of system

Again just because he has not played there does not mean he cannot. And since neither of them are going to play anyways, you might as well take a versatile young defender who will be able to cover for you in the event of a injury crisis rather than a old, injury-prone player who can only play one position.

So as GodCubed put it, Kelly offers more to the squad than Rio. He can play LB/RB/CB in the vent of a injury crisis. He is young and will probably not get injured. He will not mind being left out of the match-day squad. At the worst, this will be a good experience for him

You may be right that Rio could be excluded for other reasons. But I genuinely think there are sound footballing reasons for him being excluded
And just because he can doesn't mean it'd be wise to trust him there in the European championships.
The squad has three recognised fullbacks as well as Jones who played most of his games there and had all of his good form there. Plus our injury in defence came at centre back so to call up a fullback who has seemingly played centre back at most a few times in his career and when he was in the reserves doesn't really make much sense.
Also, if Rio was called up at this point having not been in the original squad or the standby list I doubt he'd be expecting to play every game.
I can see that there are genuine reasons for Kelly but I think they're far outweighed by the reasons for Ferdinand.

And just because he can doesn't mean it'd be wise to trust him there in the European championships.

You may be right but its highly unlikely he will be forced to step up at CB considering we have 4 players who can play that position ably ahead of him

The squad has three recognised fullbacks as well as Jones who played most of his games there and had all of his good form there. Plus our injury in defence came at centre back so to call up a fullback who has seemingly played centre back at most a few times in his career and when he was in the reserves doesn't really make much sense.

Its more about the versatility he offers. In any case he will probably be 3rd/4/5th choice for CB/RB/LB. Point is he can step up in any position if an injury crisis was to ensure.

Considering that a crisis is is highly unlikely to take place, why not take a young defender who is versatile to contribute if needed and who will gain exposure from this. Rather than Ferdinand who will only contribute in the event of an injury crisis to CBs and who will not gain much by just being there as opposed to a young player like Kelly

I understand what your saying but I think it makes more sense to take Kelly. Considering that neither of them will be playing. Kelly can contribute in multiple ways if needed. Kelly will gain a lot from being there as opposed to Ferdinand

What assumptions have I made.

1) That Kelly is versatile. Not at all. It is a fact that he can play anywhere across the back 4 if needed

2) That Rio is injury-prone. Just because he had one fit season does not change the fact. In fact looking at his history of injuries, I think its likely any more games will result in Ferdinand being sent to the treatment room ..again

What assumptions have I made.

1) That Kelly is versatile. Not at all. It is a fact that he can play anywhere across the back 4 if needed

Can he play leftback properly as well?

Why oh why are Sky comparing Ferdinand's and Kelly's stats from last season!!!! Kelly will not play centre back!!!

i was under the assumption that the relationship between Rio and Terry meant Roy had to take one or the other? This means the footballing reason behind it is that Roy chooses who he believes is better therefore picks Terry. I'm unsure what the relationship between the two players is but surely it would just be detrimental to the squad if we took both?

2) That Rio is injury-prone. Just because he had one fit season does not change the fact. In fact looking at his history of injuries, I think its likely any more games will result in Ferdinand being sent to the treatment room ..again

Quarter finals is currently looking like an EXCELLENT scenario to be in. That's 5 games. For him to miss the majority of those games, you're claiming it's statistically probable for him to be injured in those first 2 games, when he just did 30/38 fit and hasn't been injured since January. Be realistic.

Quarter finals is currently looking like an EXCELLENT scenario to be in. That's 5 games. For him to miss the majority of those games, you're claiming it's statistically probable for him to be injured in those first 2 games, when he just did 30/38 fit and hasn't been injured since January. Be realistic.

Considering he will not even be playing one of any of those 5 games unless there ensue's a massive injury crisis, its of little consequence.

And look it good that he completed 30/38, but looking at his history.. Its highly possible that any more and his body would break down. Its not like his body has been experienced 30+ games a season for the past few years now

Considering he will not even be playing one of any of those 5 games unless there ensue's a massive injury crisis, its of little consequence.

And look it good that he completed 30/38, but looking at his history.. Its highly possible that any more and his body would break down. Its not like his body has been experienced 30+ games a season for the past few years now

Rio hasnt missed a game sinc late january.

------------------------ Hart ------------------------
-- Johnson - Lescott/Jagielka - Terry - Cole --
----------------Gerrard - Parker-------------------
---Walcott - Young - Oxlade-Chamberlain ---
------------------- Welbeck -----------------------

With the squad that Hodgson has chosen, I think that as a lineup again France would be worth trying.

Last edited:
The truth is: the whole footballing reason idea has been completely ripped apart and Hodgson should have been up front with Ferdinand in the first place.

Rio hasnt missed a game sinc late january.

Read what I said earlier in the Thread.

Anyways I think thats me closing on the subject, neither Kelly nor Rio will play the 5 or so games and them playing will not really help us massively either so...

Saying that it is okay because Kelly will not play is just ridiculous. Then why take another defender, why take anyone at all?

He is there as a backup and if a couple of defenders get injured in the first game, he could well be on the bench and will probably play. It is unlikely but possible or else they would not have called him up at all.

Saying that it is okay because Kelly will not play is just ridiculous. Then why take another defender, why take anyone at all?

He is there as a backup and if a couple of defenders get injured in the first game, he could well be on the bench and will probably play. It is unlikely but possible or else they would not have called him up at all.

I said he will probably not play. But if he has to then it will only be in the case of a injury crisis. In that case, his versatility will prove to be very useful. And another reason we should take Kelly even if he does not play because it will be a good experience for him.. Hence why it is better than not taking anyone at all

I said he will probably not play. But if he has to then it will only be in the case of a injury crisis. In that case, his versatility will prove to be very useful. And another reason we should take Kelly even if he does not play because it will be a good experience for him.. Hence why it is better than not taking anyone at all

Someone who was warming bench in his club should not be getting good experience in a esteemed international tournament.Richards should have been there or ferdinand who played brilliantly whole season after vidic was out.I am all for giving experience to youngsters but keep that for the friendlies.

Back