England Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter iNickStuff
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4K
  • Views Views 377K
How can you make a judgment on that, when we have just landed back in the UK? we havent played any games post Euros yet.

Thats when you can start asking if we have learned from the Euros, when we have two years to experiment and change. Not two weeks.

He said in the press conference "I do not think statistics tell the whole story of the game", I am sorry but they pretty much do.

Hopefully he proves me wrong, but I am not confident, Roy would not of been on the top of my list for manager though.

He said in the press conference "I do not think statistics tell the whole story of the game", I am sorry but they pretty much do.

Hopefully he proves me wrong, but I am not confident, Roy would not of been on the top of my list for manager though.

he is right, they dont. statistics would tell you Modric is above average. He isnt, he is world class.

he is right, they dont. statistics would tell you Modric is above average. He isnt, he is world class.

Dunno about that, a lot of people still think he has under performed considering the talent he has.

Dunno about that, a lot of people still think he has under performed considering the talent he has.

Wonder if the same people watch him vs Spain, outstanding player, wouldn't have looked out of place in a Spanish shirt. Do you not think he is world class?

Wonder if the same people watch him vs Spain, outstanding player, wouldn't have looked out of place in a Spanish shirt. Do you not think he is world class?

Each time I saw on tv he was doing some quality passes and causing a bit of havoc. I'd say he's world class without doubt. absolute quality player

Luck??? So the fact Gomez missed a sitter was luck, nothing to do with his poor shooting on the day nah?
I know this if off topic but this makes no sense to me. Surely that's still luck. Gomez is a pretty clinical finisher so him having a shocker the day he played you would definitely count as good fortune.
Not trying to say it was all luck but players missing loads of chances they would normally score is surely lucky.

I know this if off topic but this makes no sense to me. Surely that's still luck. Gomez is a pretty clinical finisher so him having a shocker the day he played you would definitely count as good fortune.
Not trying to say it was all luck but players missing loads of chances they would normally score is surely lucky.

Similarily you can also say that Chelsea not being able to initiate any cohesive attacking moves like they did vs Barcelona/Napoli was also lucky for Bayern. At the end of the day we had Gomez pretty much covered. Its not like he missed 2-3 open goals or something. We packed the box and hardly any of their numerous shots looked threatening. I am not saying we did not ride our luck at times but to say our CL win was asbsolute luck is bullshit

Overturning a 3-1 deficit against one of the most potent counter-attacking sides in Euope is not total luck. Coming back to draw 2-2 with Barcelona at the Nou camp is not total luck. Beating Bayern in their stadium is not total luck either.

Modric is probably the best example as to how stats do not tell the full story. Only 4 goals and 4 assists last season. Many people looking at the stats would write him off as a average player, certainly not worth 40m

Anyone with decent tactical knowledge who watches him play will immediately tell you otherwise. Intangibles like composure, vision, awareness cannot be quantified. Attributes which are arguably among Modric's strongest

I do class him as world class even if I do think he should get more assists, but back to Roy, surely a manager uses match statistics to analyse games, you can't just disregard them.

I do class him as world class even if I do think he should get more assists, but back to Roy, surely a manager uses match statistics to analyse games, you can't just disregard them.

He never disregarded them, but not everything is stats.

No progress for England

Ray Wilkins says England haven't progressed since Euro 1996 and calls the 4-4-2 formation out of date.

No progress for England | Sky Sports | Video | Football

Spot on, hope Roy realises this, 39% just above Greece average ball possession over the Euro's is woeful.

Low says opposite. So who is right?

Its all opinions. How about we wait and see, you havent said anything different.

Low says opposite. So who is right?

Its all opinions. How about we wait and see, you havent said anything different.

Low is probably secretly laughing at us, I think Ray's interview here is pretty spot on though.

4-4-2 is NOT out of date. It's not just down to formation-it's down to the players mentallity as well. When used effectively, 4-4-2 can be as useful a formation as any, and during the match, with the right players, it can change to another formation at the change of a hat any way, to a 4-4-1-1, a 4-5-1, a 4-2-4-it seems boring but it not out of date. And if it is so outdated, why have Man Utd used it so effectively? Has Fergie played the wrong formation? Don't be stupid. It's better than a 4-3-3 as it allows stronger defensive play for example. You'll also get better counter attack play too.

So although it feels outdated as it's been around forever, it IS NOT outdated

How can you assume that? Because it doesnt fit in with your view of Hodgson?

Disregarding the disaster of the 2010 World Cup, we have took a few steps back to make sure we are solid, I do not see any real improvement from this Euro's at all, Capello got it wrong at the World Cup, but apart from that how have we improved?

It's because some of the players haven't got the bollocks to stand up to the plate when given the chance too. And it's definately down to injuries/fitness too. Simples as. Once we lost Lampard, and withouth Wilshere, we were always going to have problems.

Last edited:
Disregarding the disaster of the 2010 World Cup, we have took a few steps back to make sure we are solid, I do not see any real improvement from this Euro's at all, Capello got it wrong at the World Cup, but apart from that how have we improved?

The side for one is far less disjointed than before. Certainly played with a better shape. There is a foundation that can be built upon. If you cant see the difference between this Euros and the World cup, then I'm not sure you pay enough attention.

Defended far better against France and Italy than we did agains Germany. Now its about making our shape more proactive, while bringing through players.

It's because some of the players haven't got the bollocks to stand up to the plate when given the chance too

Like who? Rooney can't be blamed, Roy decided to take him and he knew that Rooney would probably not be fully match fit, not to mention he hardly had any supply. Gerrard and Parker were overrun in midfield so they were absolutely shattered when it came to attacking finally.

Like who? Rooney can't be blamed, Roy decided to take him and he knew that Rooney would probably not be fully match fit, not to mention he hardly had any supply. Gerrard and Parker were overrun in midfield so they were absolutely shattered when it came to attacking finally.

So you put no blame on the players and all on Roy? Bollocks. Rooney can be blamed, he stopped tracking him. If he was shattered, why didnt he drop into the hole and stay goal side, after all its his natural position. Rooney is intelligent enough to do this, he does it for United.

Back