England Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter iNickStuff
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4K
  • Views Views 377K
The side for one is far less disjointed than before. Certainly played with a better shape. There is a foundation that can be built upon. If you cant see the difference between this Euros and the World cup, then I'm not sure you pay enough attention.

Defended far better against France and Italy than we did agains Germany. Now its about making our shape more proactive, while bringing through players.

We were better than at the last World Cup, but lets be fair, we could not of been much worse, conceding goals from a goal kick, struggling against a group consisting of USA, Algeria and Slovenia.

Yeh we did defend well, although did we? Despite having so many men behind the ball and using the 'stand-off' approach, you could argue Italy winning 4-0 would not of flattered them.

Like who? Rooney can't be blamed, Roy decided to take him and he knew that Rooney would probably not be fully match fit, not to mention he hardly had any supply. Gerrard and Parker were overrun in midfield so they were absolutely shattered when it came to attacking finally.

Not talking about now. although the Sweden debacle was a prime example of falling to pieces after conceding a goal. But in the past, and also recently (obviously except a player like Rooney of course because he is incredibly strong willed) we've seen players lack determination. And that is NOT Roys fault. It's why I get so incredibly sick and tired of managers ALWAYS getting the blame for everything that goes wrong and some players get off scott free.

So you put no blame on the players and all on Roy? Bollocks. Rooney can be blamed, he stopped tracking him. If he was shattered, why didnt he drop into the hole and stay goal side, after all its his natural position. Rooney is intelligent enough to do this, he does it for United.

Roy is the 'manager' it is his job to realise Rooney was not doing his job, he had no courage to take him off though, just continued letting Pirlo run the show. Rooney should of been subbed but instead he subbed Welbeck, which tells me Roy was either too scared to sub Rooney or he did not notice that Pirlo was running the show. (I presume the latter).

We were better than at the last World Cup, but lets be fair, we could not of been much worse, conceding goals from a goal kick, struggling against a group consisting of USA, Algeria and Slovenia.

Yeh we did defend well, although did we? Despite having so many men behind the ball and using the 'stand-off' approach, you could argue Italy winning 4-0 would not of flattered them.

Not sure what your point in, we were much better, in a tougher group. That is a big step forwards, no matter how much you try and put that down

That Italy side would have shredded us in 2010, and we would have conceded. Likewise France, they didnt get a single chance inside our box. Nasri's goal was a speculative long range shot, which Hart should have saved.

Roy is the 'manager' it is his job to realise Rooney was not doing his job, he had no courage to take him off though, just continued letting Pirlo run the show. Rooney should of been subbed but instead he subbed Welbeck, which tells me Roy was either too scared to sub Rooney or he did not notice that Pirlo was running the show. (I presume the latter).

When it comes to Rooney, I think that it's because he can have a really quiet 80 minutes than BANG! he can do something totally unexpected and maybe nick a winner. Sort of player who can produce things out the bag.

Rooney should have done his job. Players are not children, they have tactical awareness. As much Rooneys fault as Hodgsons. He isnt an inexperienced 18 year old, he is a 26 year old player who has played hundreds of games, and who usually does this kind of stuff without being told. Players have to use their head on the pitch, you cannot absolve them of the blame.

And your last sentence is nonsense, how can you assume he didnt notice? Your bias is patently obvious.

Last edited:
zzeezzy your argument against Hodsgon is filled with many assumptions. Not to mention your judging him so soon. He had two weeks to prepare for the tournament. He had to contend with injuries, players not stepping up and controversies. Yet he managed to get us to a Quarter-final berth where we lost to a very good side in Italy who have had more time to gel under their coach and have just as good or better squad than us

Your other points against Hodsgon such as he is too pragmatic a coach and will never get us playing proactive football is a assumption. Give him a technically proficient, young, energetic and well-gelled squad. If he continues to play defensive football then I will gladly join you in insulting him but for now... we have to wait and see

Also your argument that Hodgson is tactically inept is nonsense

Not sure what your point in, we were much better, in a tougher group. That is a big step forwards, no matter how much you try and put that down

That Italy side would have shredded us in 2010, and we would have conceded. Likewise France, they didnt get a single chance inside our box. Nasri's goal was a speculative long range shot, which Hart should have saved.

It is like for like though, men behind the ball and defending well is all good and great. But you sacrifice the attacking side of play, therefore constantly giving the opposition more of the ball and inviting pressure.

It is like for like though, men behind the ball and defending well is all good and great. But you sacrifice the attacking side of play, therefore constantly giving the opposition more of the ball and inviting pressure.

And you expected him to find the right balance in 4 games, with just two weeks of practice? Be real.

zzeezzy your argument against Hodsgon is filled with many assumptions. Not to mention your judging him so soon. He had two weeks to prepare for the tournament. He had to contend with injuries, players not stepping up and controversies. Yet he managed to get us to a Quarter-final berth where we lost to a very good side in Italy who have had more time to gel under their coach and have just as good or better squad than us

Your other points against Hodsgon such as he is too pragmatic a coach and will never get us playing proactive football is a assumption. Give him a technically proficient, young, energetic and well-gelled squad. If he continues to play defensive football then I will gladly join you in insulting him but for now... we have to wait and see

I assume you are referring to the Pirlo-Rooney situation, how is it nonsense? We were getting overrun in midfield, Pirlo was running the show, Rooney was not doing his job (we presume Roy told him to mark Pirlo) and did not solve this by subbing Rooney, which to me shows a lack of courage and we were just letting Italy dictate the game.

This is my point, and pretty much everyone elses. Give him the time.

I assume you are referring to the Pirlo-Rooney situation, how is it nonsense? We were getting overrun in midfield, Pirlo was running the show, Rooney was not doing his job (we presume Roy told him to mark Pirlo) and did not solve this by subbing Rooney, which to me shows a lack of courage and we were just letting Italy dictate the game.

So why dont you blame Rooney for not doing his job?

And you expected him to find the right balance in 4 games, with just two weeks of practice? Be real.

He caused half of the problem this Euro's himself though, why do you have to be so defensive over Hodgson, he made mistakes.

So why dont you blame Rooney for not doing his job?

Whether I blame Rooney or not is irrelevant, Hodgson should of subbed him because he was not marking Pirlo, it was the main problem throughout the game.

He caused half of the problem this Euro's himself though, why do you have to be so defensive over Hodgson, he made mistakes.

He made mistakes but your being way too harsh on him. Especially when you consider the circumstances in which he was brought in and the fact that he achieved what was a respectable and fair finish for England in the tournament going out on the lottery of a penalty shooutout

I suppose when England was winning then everything was great and you were praising Hodgson. Then we lost and your back to deriding and insulting him

Im not, I've actually been critical of some of his thoughts, while understand his need to take that approach. I'm just pointing out the massive holes in your argument. No side is going to find a perfect balance in 4 games. He could have gone attack first, or defence first. He chose the latter.

Of course he made some mistakes, hes had little time. The players also made mistakes. However you seem to blame only him, and not the players, you dont seem to understand the basic premise that there was little time to work together, nor the basic idea of giving a manager time. You have used a rushed tournament of 4 games to hang him.Your bias is so patently obvious.

Last edited:
Whether I blame Rooney or not is irrelevant, Hodgson should of subbed him because he was not marking Pirlo, it was the main problem throughout the game.

It is relevant. Both were at fault, yet you blame one. why?

Im not, I've actually been critical of some of his thoughts, while understand his need to take that approach. I'm just pointing out the massive holes in your argument. No side is going to find a perfect balance in 4 games. He could have gone attack first, or defence first. He chose the latter.

Of course he made some mistakes, hes had little time. The players also made mistakes. However you seem to blame only him, and not the players, you dont seem to understand the basic premise that there was little time to work together, nor the basic idea of giving a manager time. You have used a rushed tournament of 4 games to hang him.Your bias is so patently obvious.

Nail hit on the head.

1. Its incredibly unfair to judge any manager based on 4 games for which he had two weeks to prepare

2. Even more unfair when the job in question is one of the toughest in the world in terms of media attention, pressure etc. and your squad is depleted by injuries, players not stepping up and a racist controversy

3. He had two options. Either he could play expansive, attacking football and get ripped apart. Or he could take the 'Chelsea' blueprint. Come in and try salvage the situation by playing defensive, reactive football and hoping for a bit of luck to avoid a embarasement which worked well. Then thinking ahead after the tournament is over

I'm just incredulous he's been in charge for a handful of games and people are calling for his head already and saying he's not good enough. Let's see. Grind out results, instill defensive discipline, work on set pieces and crossing, using impact subs, handles the press well, used Walcott as an impact sub, working on the defence with the wings, what more could he have done in such a short space of time?

Oh yeah-perform a ****** miracle. Yeah-get Roy out! Jees. If this approach won a tournament, I'd be more than happy to take over trying fancy sexy football and getting absolutely mullered.

And the buck doesn't just stop there-what's going on with coaching too, not just at national level, but club

Last edited:
He made mistakes but your being way too harsh on him. Especially when you consider the circumstances in which he was brought in and the fact that he achieved what was a respectable and fair finish for England in the tournament going out on the lottery of a penalty shooutout

I suppose when England was winning then everything was great and you were praising Hodgson. Then we lost and your back to deriding and insulting him

You make it sound like it was an even game and penalties was a fair way to decide it, if that was the case then I would of been happy, but Italy completely outplayed and overrun us in midfield and Hodgson did nothing at all to change it. What is bringing Walcott going to do when we can't even get the ball.

What am I biased towards? I am English and a huge fan of our football team.

The reason I blame Hodgson is because he had 120 minutes to sub Rooney and get someone else to mark Pirlo. Also he failed to do anything when we were getting completely overrun in the game in midfield. It is a manager's job to change counter-react these threats during the game, but he failed to.

Back