England Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter iNickStuff
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4K
  • Views Views 377K
Won some tickets on Twitter this afternoon for the game tonight so going to go with Mike. :)

A destroyer/passer hybrid who can pass long, short and consistently. A physical presence who also positions himself intelligently. A great long range shot, but more importantly the good sense to retain possession over hollywood shooting and passing.

As English players go, Huddlestone is practically unique.

In hindsight I didn't word the post particularly well. What I was trying to say was that I don't see where he fits into the team. Is he good enough as a destroyer to warrant Parker's place? He's not good enough as a passer to oust Carrick, Wilshere, Cleverley and perhaps even Gerrard, if he can continue to perform as he did at the Euros.

As part of a 4-4-2 he would fit more naturally as the more defensive of the pair, but I'm yet to be sufficiently convinced of his tackling and positional ability to play against a strong team.

*Looks at alicwkd with rage in his eyes, but decides not to smite him*

Come at me bro. ;)

Get FM13 early and win England tickets? FU and your ridiculous luck.

To be fair, I have been sat at work singing the Smurfs theme tune for the last 2 hours and my boss has confiscated my coke and red bull... :( I am in an extremely excitable mood.. :D

To be fair, I have been sat at work singing the Smurfs theme tune for the last 2 hours and my boss has confiscated my coke and red bull... :( I am in an extremely excitable mood.. :D
you were bad enough last night...

Won some tickets on Twitter this afternoon for the game tonight so going to go with Mike. :)

Ah how cute, a date lol.

This will no doubt be a tougher test than Friday but still think we have enough to beat them. Im predicting the same score line as in the world cup qualifiers, 2-1.

roy hodgson needs to start utilising the corner glitch so lescott can get a double hattrick and he can finally get his steam achievement

In hindsight I didn't word the post particularly well. What I was trying to say was that I don't see where he fits into the team. Is he good enough as a destroyer to warrant Parker's place? He's not good enough as a passer to oust Carrick, Wilshere, Cleverley and perhaps even Gerrard, if he can continue to perform as he did at the Euros.

He's good enough of an all-round player to be included in the squad, that's for sure. His short passing isn't as consistent as Carrick or Wilshere's (though Jack is injured anyway) but he has a greater passing range than probably any English player. He's certainly a good enough destroyer to be considered a long-term replacement for Parker, and considering our current backup for Parker is, um, nobody, I feel he's definitely worth a shot.

As part of a 4-4-2 he would fit more naturally as the more defensive of the pair, but I'm yet to be sufficiently convinced of his tackling and positional ability to play against a strong team.

Let's take the last year he was fully available for, 2009/10. Bearing in mind he was younger then and not as developed, he made 33 apps, 123 tackles at a rate of 3.7 per game (only five fewer than Wilson Palacios), 74 interceptions and was only dribbled 25 times. Factor into that his key passes - only 0.2 fewer than Luka Modric on average per game - and statistically he's a great destroyer with an offensive edge.

As an aside note, check this stat out: in 2009/10, 293 of Huddlestone's attempted 397 long balls were accurate. That is an astounding record. That's better than any outfield player in the league in terms of accurate long balls by a huge margin. The only player who came close was Javier Mascherano.

That's been coming. Fantastic goal. 1-0 Ukraine

Woss guaneen in the match anyway? Haven't been watching.

He's good enough of an all-round player to be included in the squad, that's for sure. His short passing isn't as consistent as Carrick or Wilshere's (though Jack is injured anyway) but he has a greater passing range than probably any English player. He's certainly a good enough destroyer to be considered a long-term replacement for Parker, and considering our current backup for Parker is, um, nobody, I feel he's definitely worth a shot.

Let's take the last year he was fully available for, 2009/10. Bearing in mind he was younger then and not as developed, he made 33 apps, 123 tackles at a rate of 3.7 per game (only five fewer than Wilson Palacios), 74 interceptions and was only dribbled 25 times. Factor into that his key passes - only 0.2 fewer than Luka Modric on average per game - and statistically he's a great destroyer with an offensive edge.

As an aside note, check this stat out: in 2009/10, 293 of Huddlestone's attempted 397 long balls were accurate. That is an astounding record. That's better than any outfield player in the league in terms of accurate long balls by a huge margin. The only player who came close was Javier Mascherano.

Woss guaneen in the match anyway? Haven't been watching.

Ukraine pretty much in control. 1st half had some shambolic moments. Though Johnson nearly made it 1-1. Been best player

Konoplyanka has been sensational tonight, made Gerrard and Johnson look like right mugs then.

Konoplyanka is awesome in general.... no doubt he value 10.000.000 euro and he plays for Dniper.... and play more than decent. See him a big superstar in near further,maybe the next Shevcenko i will love to see him at Ac Milan

should've started with welbeck especially if he wants to play one up front, defoe is no good on his own, why we only p;lay one up front at home is beyond me. Are we scotland in disguise?

Welbeck should've hit the deck to get that pen. No place in football for honesty

Europe look poor and i`m talking in general... guess not chance for Europe to win the WC in 2014 .... Brazil ,Columbia, Argentina (but with that poor defense dont think so ) have good chances to win

Europe look poor and i`m talking in general... guess not chance for Europe to win the WC in 2014 .... Brazil ,Columbia, Argentina (but with that poor defense dont think so ) have good chances to win

brazil won't win it ill tell you that much now and europe poor? er spain, germany, belgium will improve alot in two years too. could go on

Last edited:
Back