England v Mexico

• Thread starter Thread starter Kylo
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 299
  • Views Views 18K
Well lads, I just got back from Wembley.

It was one **** of a good atmostphere and a good game.
There wasn't really an outstanding individual on the pitch, and Mexico had so much possession.

A note on being there, it was amazing. We challenged the Mexican fans in the corner to a Mexican Wave battle and had 2 massive waves going around the stadium which lasted a few minutes then died out about the 60th minute. I could see how much the Mexican's enjoyed the game, they went crazy after scoring late in the second half. So glad I went to this game, Its my birthday tomorrow aswell, cracker of a game.

You guys can continue to discuss the England team and result. :) Sorry for interrupting ;)

Funny u say that 442 it was my birthday 2day just back in about 2 hours ago happy birthday dude lol

Not much to say on the topic, as I fell asleep for large portions of the game... but from what I did see, Leighton Baines was shaky and generally pretty poor both defensively and trying to get forward.

Not what I expected to see. Hope he finds his feet soon enough, though if Cole is fit then I hope we never have to use him.

shoddy all round performance, 3-1 victory. I'll take that. I hope Capello doesn't adopt the Jose tactics on display last night, England aren't hard enough in the midfield to pull it off.

If it wasn't for Milner our midfield would have been ripped to shreds, he was my man of the match, although I can see how Johnson got it.

I heard he won 0% of his tackles last night!!!
lol not too suprised by that, he has never been a great tackler, but he was awful, his whole games hinges on being able to keep possession and pick out his man, and he failed constantly, and he is in real danger of not going to the world cup. hes been poor for united, but his previous england performances have carried him imo, but last nigt he failed to deliver in anyway at all.

his only real chance is if barry makes it for the game against japan, giving parker less time to impress. if parker had a good game, i think thats it for him

---------- Post added at 06:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 PM ----------

If it wasn't for Milner our midfield would have been ripped to shreds, he was my man of the match, although I can see how Johnson got it.
really? milner was a little disappointing first half through the middle, looked much better out wide, certainly not a mom contender imo. both he and gerrard played better when they were swapped, though ive been saying for ages that gerrard shouldnt play down the left, he leaves the full back horribly exposed since he doesnt track back enough

Last edited:
shoddy all round performance, 3-1 victory. I'll take that. I hope Capello doesn't adopt the Jose tactics on display last night, England aren't hard enough in the midfield to pull it off.

Jose tactics? Really?

Mourinho relies heavily on players closing down all over the pitch and attacking the ball, we struggled to do this on the edge of our 18 yard box, nevermind the whole pitch.

I thought Konchesky could of done a better job than Baines yesterday, lost out a lot in the air Baines. I hope Adam Johnson starts against Japan, he's a proper winger, great left foot. Lennon is better than Walcott. Lacked any control of dominance in midfield though, at least we have a bit of it when Barry plays. Carrick was shocking though.

Jose tactics? Really?

Mourinho relies heavily on players closing down all over the pitch and attacking the ball, we struggled to do this on the edge of our 18 yard box, nevermind the whole pitch.
lol exactly, if we had done any pressing againt mexico we would have much more comfortable.

He had no natural ball winnng midfielder in the team and that gave Mexico the time on the ball. If Parker played I believe we would have had more of the ball. Looking forward to Sunday and for the rest of the lads to try and book their place.

Inter played 9 men back, England were trying that in the first half. Mexico had all the posession and shots at that period.

He had no natural ball winnng midfielder in the team and that gave Mexico the time on the ball. If Parker played I believe we would have had more of the ball. Looking forward to Sunday and for the rest of the lads to try and book their place.
very true. which is why i expect parker to stake a big claim on sunday. think it will be barry, parker, thudd going. think cole and johnson will get half each, lampard playing 60 gerrard coming on later as we move to 4-2-3-1, lennon will start swp coming on.

I did not actually get to see the game last night as I was working but from what I have read it was uninspiring from the sound of it. It was a friendly at the end of the day and with the World Cup around the corner Fabio was going to try diffferent players to decide who makes the cut. The Japan game I can see will be more of the same as players wont always give 100% as they dont want to risk injury and miss out entirely.

One thing that worries me about Capello with England is I cant see a plan B for when we are up against it playing the bigger nations. We look one dimensional at times.

I did not actually get to see the game last night as I was working but from what I have read it was uninspiring from the sound of it. It was a friendly at the end of the day and with the World Cup around the corner Fabio was going to try diffferent players to decide who makes the cut. The Japan game I can see will be more of the same as players wont always give 100% as they dont want to risk injury and miss out entirely.

One thing that worries me about Capello with England is I cant see a plan B for when we are up against it playing the bigger nations. We look one dimensional at times.
4-2-3-1, we have the players for it. maybe we will see it against japan at somepoint.

4-2-3-1, we have the players for it. maybe we will see it against japan at somepoint.

That's what they played in first half last night isn't it? Milner and Carrick as the two holding players? Didn't work very well with those players, but could be good with a full first-team.

That's what they played in first half last night isn't it? Milner and Carrick as the two holding players? Didn't work very well with those players, but could be good with a full first-team.
no it was meant to be more of a 4-4-2, gerrard just naturally drifts into the centre from the left. it definitely wouldnt work with that team but it would with what you'd consider the first team

james

cole
terry
ferdinand
johnson

barry
lampard/parker (depending on how you want to approach the game)

milner/johnson
gerrard
lennon

rooney

no it was meant to be more of a 4-4-2, gerrard just naturally drifts into the centre from the left. it definitely wouldnt work with that team but it would with what you'd consider the first team

james

cole
terry
ferdinand
johnson

barry
lampard/parker (depending on how you want to approach the game)

milner/johnson
gerrard
lennon

rooney

Yes, your take on the team looks much stronger and much more likely to work than the players that started last night.

Still, pretty sure they lined up 4-2-3-1 in first half last night. I only watched on tv, but the line-up was given as:

Green.
Johnson. King. Ferdinand. Baines.
Milner. Carrick.
Walcott. Rooney. Gerrard.
Crouch.

and it appeared to be played out in that fashion as far as I could see, until they changed Milner / Gerrard in second-half, and pushed Rooney further forward with Defoe.

They played it in the first-half against France a while ago too before reverting to a more orthodox 4-4-2 in the second period.

Yes, your take on the team looks much stronger and much more likely to work than the players that started last night.

Still, pretty sure they lined up 4-2-3-1 in first half last night. I only watched on tv, but the line-up was given as:

Green.
Johnson. King. Ferdinand. Baines.
Milner. Carrick.
Walcott. Rooney. Gerrard.
Crouch.

and it appeared to be played out in that fashion as far as I could see, until they changed Milner / Gerrard in second-half, and pushed Rooney further forward with Defoe.

They played it in the first-half against France a while ago too before reverting to a more orthodox 4-4-2 in the second period.
ah fair does, i missed how the line up was given, but from when i came it looked like an unorthodox 4-4-2. either way it was an ungainly mish mash whatever the gameplan was.

Not a bad game when many of the starters are rested. I for one believe Carrick has a role to play. He just needs to get his confidence back. He is not a Fletcher type machine but he is a very good interceptor and maintains the shape well. Once he gets back the confidence he will be altogether different player. If Barry is fit then surely he should start as we have done well in the qualifiers. I dont know how Milner was any good yesterday, he was as awful as Carrick and Huddlestone. I was not impressed with any but then its not the first choice team and just a friendly.

Mexicans attacked through left side and its no coincidence that first half Gerrard was left winger and Rooney was trying to put a shift in. Gerrard is a class player when played through center and Rooney and Gerrard has some understanding. If Milner starts it has to be Left wing, thats a big IF. Personally i would like to see Joe Cole there.

--------------------Defense-----------------

-------Barry/Carrick-----Lampard-

Lennon-----Gerrard---------Joe Cole

-------------Rooney----------------

This is the best combination i think and i believe we can be effective playing diamond as it also gives wingbacks license make forward runs.

------------------------------------------Carrick/Parker-------------

--------------Milner/Carrick/Huddlestone--------Lampard

------------------------------------------Gerrard---------------

Lampard might not like it, but looks decent for me

Back