England vs Holland: February 29th, Wembley Stadium

• Thread starter Thread starter Mike.
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 256
  • Views Views 14K
Well, it was an encouraging performance for a first-timer.

Think he made a big error not taking carrick, but it was pretty decent. We stood off too much, that need to be rectified. and we lacked that midfield link, but when we did get it going, such as our second goal, we can play some very good stuff.

Important to get Carrick/Cleverley in. I dont mention Wilshere as i dont think he will recover in time, but if he does, obvious no brainer there. Also Chamberlain.

Well, it would be a mistake not to let Pearce carry on at least to Euro after this one.

I think the only thing weaker than our defence last night was Holland's defence.. At least it made for an interesting second half though.

I think we could have won that game.. If only we actually had a forward with some composure. Gary Cahill up front, anyone?

I think the only thing weaker than our defence last night was Holland's defence.. At least it made for an interesting second half though.

I think we could have won that game.. If only we actually had a forward with some composure. Gary Cahill up front, anyone?

Still things to work on, but it wasnt that bad.

Feel bad for Gerrard, you know he was desperate to play, but 120 last week was too much, glad it was precautionary.

Carrick was missed, agree about the composure, but that is something Welbeck is still learning as a player.

Defensively we stood off too much, and in a competitive game, someone should have chopped down Robben on the halfway line for the second goal.

We had the patience for the passing game, but no players to dictate it. Hence why i was so disappointed about Carrick

Still things to work on, but it wasnt that bad.

Feel bad for Gerrard, you know he was desperate to play, but 120 last week was too much, glad it was precautionary.

Carrick was missed, agree about the composure, but that is something Welbeck is still learning as a player.

Defensively we stood off too much, and in a competitive game, someone should have chopped down Robben on the halfway line for the second goal.

We had the patience for the passing game, but no players to dictate it. Hence why i was so disappointed about Carrick

I was pleasantly surprised by the performance. Not surprised by the result, though.

Apparently Gerrard is having a fitness test now, hopefully he's okay to play Arsenal.

Carrick or Wilshere would have been a massive boost to the team.. Barry was pretty non-existent, IMO, Parker did well and Milner was decent when he came on.

Both Robben's goals could and should have been avoided. First one he was given way too much space, should never have happened. The second was poor closing down again, Baines made a poor attempt at a block and then an unfortunate deflection off Cahill made the shot look much more spectacular than it was.

I'm just so confused as to why we even play Baines? Didn't he refuse to go to South Africa because he would be homesick or something... I mean, what's the point in having him at all if he's just going to bottle it at a major competition.

Hopefully with a stronger side we will be able to give a better all-round performance next-time but there are definitely a few positives to be taken from that game. Also, Welbeck is still learning, I just don't think he will learn fast enough for Euro 2012, but whoever plays as cover for Rooney is going to have a lot of pressure on them. I personally wouldn't even complain if it was Crouch.... I'm not entirely sure why.

I was pleasantly surprised by the performance. Not surprised by the result, though.

Apparently Gerrard is having a fitness test now, hopefully he's okay to play Arsenal.

Carrick or Wilshere would have been a massive boost to the team.. Barry was pretty non-existent, IMO, Parker did well and Milner was decent when he came on.

Both Robben's goals could and should have been avoided. First one he was given way too much space, should never have happened. The second was poor closing down again, Baines made a poor attempt at a block and then an unfortunate deflection off Cahill made the shot look much more spectacular than it was.

I'm just so confused as to why we even play Baines? Didn't he refuse to go to South Africa because he would be homesick or something... I mean, what's the point in having him at all if he's just going to bottle it at a major competition.

Hopefully with a stronger side we will be able to give a better all-round performance next-time but there are definitely a few positives to be taken from that game. Also, Welbeck is still learning, I just don't think he will learn fast enough for Euro 2012, but whoever plays as cover for Rooney is going to have a lot of pressure on them. I personally wouldn't even complain if it was Crouch.... I'm not entirely sure why.

I woulnt play Crouch, Welbeck's movement and link up play last night was excellent, Sturridge should have made more of the space created. Young looked OK in the middle when he moved there, but need better deep supply to him, which again comes back to Carrick/Wilshere, or even Cleverley.

That was 2006 re Baines i think, but he is a better fullback than Cole right now, very very good player, just caught out by Robben but should have done better. Parker did his job well, but you could see when he was trying to carry the ball our, he had no idea what pass to pick, because its not his game to an expansive passer, Barry did well, but you dont want to play both him and Parker so he should be benched

Welbeck may not learn quick enough, but the only way is for him and the others to play in those kind of tournaments.

Oh, and Chamberlain in for Johnson

I woulnt play Crouch, Welbeck's movement and link up play last night was excellent, Sturridge should have made more of the space created. Young looked OK in the middle when he moved there, but need better deep supply to him, which again comes back to Carrick/Wilshere, or even Cleverley.

That was 2006 re Baines i think, but he is a better fullback than Cole right now, very very good player, just caught out by Robben but should have done better. Parker did his job well, but you could see when he was trying to carry the ball our, he had no idea what pass to pick, because its not his game to an expansive passer, Barry did well, but you dont want to play both him and Parker so he should be benched

Welbeck may not learn quick enough, but the only way is for him and the others to play in those kind of tournaments.

I don't know why I want Crouch.. I don't really. Just unsure whether Welbeck is the right choice, hopefully he starts to score a bit more frequently at United.

Welbeck was good, shame he didn't score or even look like scoring. Young was okay, obviously would prefer Gerrard there though.

Pretty sure it was 2010.. Baines definitely wasn't an England player in 2006, maybe u-21's.

From this game what I have seen this would be the first 11 I would choose for Euro's:

-------------Hart---------------

Richards--Smalling--Jagielka--Baines

---------Wilshere--Parker----------

The Ox-------Gerrard-----tricky position... I want Sturridge over Young or Walcott

--------------Rooney--------------

I know this is not Rooney's most competent position but I think he would do the best job there at the moment with Welbeck still learning. I would not put a Crouch/Bent/Zamora there because in my opinion it makes the team too direct and slows our play down.

I don't get this. Why would you take someone who has had what.. three good games for a top club in their career, rather than someone who has been consistently good over the last 2/3 seasons. Granted Johnson doesn't play every Man City game, but he's played more than Chamberlain this season, who has pretty much zero international experience.

I know Chamberlain looks like a decent prospect, but currently I don't think he is any better than Johnson/Sturridge/Young/Walcott/Downing and Milner to an extent. Granted Walcott and Downing haven't been setting the world alight this season, but they have had just as many 'good games' for their clubs this season as Chamberlain, and both have some sort of international experience prior to the Euros, which Chamberlain wouldn't have any of.

I don't get this. Why would you take someone who has had what.. three good games for a top club in their career, rather than someone who has been consistently good over the last 2/3 seasons. Granted Johnson doesn't play every Man City game, but he's played more than Chamberlain this season, who has pretty much zero international experience.

I know Chamberlain looks like a decent prospect, but currently I don't think he is any better than Johnson/Sturridge/Young/Walcott/Downing and Milner to an extent. Granted Walcott and Downing haven't been setting the world alight this season, but they have had just as many 'good games' for their clubs this season as Chamberlain, and both have some sort of international experience prior to the Euros, which Chamberlain wouldn't have any of.

Chamerlain is a tank though, as well as pace, I can just see him ripping defences apart. He has looked very good for Arsenal this season especially in the big games he has played in. Someone like Walcott has great pace but he does not have the Rooney-type strength Chamberlain has.

Because i'd rather have a look at another option before the Euros. Chamberlain is happy left or right, and i want to see that tested on the international stage. Of course he has zero experience, how else does he get it?

Apparently the new England gaffer won't be appointed until a few days before the Euros-or a few days after. Which is handy :S

Wish people would get off Walcott's back, people say he isn't setting the world alight and yet he is much better than in previous seasons. I still think he is lacking in football intelligence but he has 9 assists and 5 goals this season, all mostly from the right wing. He has his faults but his pace is most definitely an asset and he seems to be slowly improving his finishing and composure.

All in all an OK game for the dutch. We never should've allowed a comeback to 2-2, but Robben's magnificence saved us in the end. It showed what terrible defenders we have and we should get rid of Pieters as LB. Also, I still don't get why we don't play 2 strikers, we have the Premier League's top goalscorer this season AND the Bundesliga's top goalscorer in our national pool.

-------------Stekelenburg----------------
vd Wiel--Heitinga--Mathijssen--Emmanuelson
----------------------------------------------
--------V Bommel--Sneijder---------------
Kuyt/Narsingh---------------Robben/John
--------RVP---------Huntelaar----------

In this tactic RVP can drop deep and play around Huntelaar and Huntelaar being a targetman, which he plays best. Unfortunately Douglas (from FC Twente, check him out) isn't going to be declared dutch till after the Euro's. We haven't had a proper defender since Stam and Douglas might be the next one.

Apparently the new England gaffer won't be appointed until a few days before the Euros-or a few days after. Which is handy :S

Surely it will be for 'Arry to finish the season with Tottenham.

Because i'd rather have a look at another option before the Euros. Chamberlain is happy left or right, and i want to see that tested on the international stage. Of course he has zero experience, how else does he get it?

Friendlies? Qualifiers? Rather than just dumping him straight into a tournament in another country with a team that he barely knows bar the Arsenal players. He is still only 18, and the amount of pressure that would be put upon him if we took him to the Euros by the English media and public, you have no idea how that could effect him, in the short term or the long term.

At the end of the day, he has still only played 7 games for Arsenal, to be able to have a solid judgement of a player after 7 games is ridiculous, it just smacks of when we took Walcott to the World cup back in 2006. Although Walcott had literally zero top flight experience, so it's not as extreme as the Walcott selection was, but I still think it would be pretty stupid taking him to the Euros off the back of 7 games.

Friendlies? Qualifiers? Rather than just dumping him straight into a tournament in another country with a team that he barely knows bar the Arsenal players. He is still only 18, and the amount of pressure that would be put upon him if we took him to the Euros by the English media and public, you have no idea how that could effect him, in the short term or the long term.

At the end of the day, he has still only played 7 games for Arsenal, to be able to have a solid judgement of a player after 7 games is ridiculous, it just smacks of when we took Walcott to the World cup back in 2006. Although Walcott had literally zero top flight experience, so it's not as extreme as the Walcott selection was, but I still think it would be pretty stupid taking him to the Euros off the back of 7 games.

We still have two friendlies. its not as if im saying take him 2012 raw.

Wish people would get off Walcott's back, people say he isn't setting the world alight and yet he is much better than in previous seasons. I still think he is lacking in football intelligence but he has 9 assists and 5 goals this season, all mostly from the right wing. He has his faults but his pace is most definitely an asset and he seems to be slowly improving his finishing and composure.

I would always have Walcott starting for England (unless playing a team with an amazing winger, where I would put Milner on the wing to track back, as he is a WORKHORSE!), he can completely tear some teams apart with his pace, and he is decent at finishing also. He has much more of a case for playing for England than Chamberlain, currently.

Shame Parker couldn't do this last night. [This was on my game, btw, I'm not just posting a random youtube vid. (;]

[video=youtube;x--djGiKSxg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x--djGiKSxg[/video]

It's the after the euros bit which I don't understand (if it does happen).

IMO, I'd rather Pearce manage us for the Euro's if Redknapp can't be bothered to be in charge for the two friendlies.

I would always have Walcott starting for England (unless playing a team with an amazing winger, where I would put Milner on the wing to track back, as he is a WORKHORSE!), he can completely tear some teams apart with his pace, and he is decent at finishing also. He has much more of a case for playing for England than Chamberlain, currently.

Tbh, though.. Walcott blows hot and cold worse than Rooney.

I do agree that Downing/Johnson/Walcott & even Sturridge should be considered before Chamberlain. But nothing wrong with giving him a go in a friendly or two.

Last edited:
Back