England vs Holland: February 29th, Wembley Stadium

• Thread starter Thread starter Mike.
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 256
  • Views Views 14K
Even if it was 3-1 there were encouraging signs for a change. Impressed by Wellbeck, and Richards had a solid game throwing himself in front of the ball. Just a shame a bit of naivity came through in the defence. But tonight was a learning experience for some players and some learnt fast. And just a shame Smalling had to go off with a very nasty head injury

We are the weakest in defence, which clearly showed in the 2nd goal and last 20 mins where England was pressing more. However, if Huntelaar hadn't gotten injured I think there could've been some more goals since he was playing great for his 15 mins.

lol i watched the first half but it was boring so i turned it over.

I then hear in the second half there was 5 goals :S

ORLY? Did they charm their way into the WC finals?

Holland are average at best, they could play all their stuff because of how England stood off them for practically 70 minutes. If you get a team what presses constantly like Germany/Spain etc, they get exposed. My opinion, simple.

Even if it was 3-1 there were encouraging signs for a change. Impressed by Wellbeck, and Richards had a solid game throwing himself in front of the ball. Just a shame a bit of naivity came through in the defence. But tonight was a learning experience for some players and some learnt fast. And just a shame Smalling had to go off with a very nasty head injury

Just like I said,really good game by welbeck and if they keep up a higher tempo then there are enough players in the team who can finish the chances! Still can't believe how sturridge missed though!Just think carrick needs to go to euros! what do you think?

Just like I said,really good game by welbeck and if they keep up a higher tempo then there are enough players in the team who can finish the chances! Still can't believe how sturridge missed though!Just think carrick needs to go to euros! what do you think?

Taking Carrick is a no-brainer imo. Simplest way to put it tbh. Don't even need to go into the reasons why

Not a bad effort for a young team with little playing time together. Cahill clearly offside but a lovely touch inside (Keeper should have saved though).

Robbens first goal shouldn't have happened. I'd hope that in a more important game, he would have been chopped down near the half way line - but both defenders shouldn't have gone with Huntelaar.

Lovely finish by Young (and pass by Jones) for our second goal. Parker had a good first half, thought he looked a bit tired in the second.

Robbens second goal was dissapointing to be honest. There was only one thing he was going to do when that ball dropped to him, take a touch and get it on his left, bend it in the top corner. It's standard Robben in that position and one of the 6 defenders in the box should have known that, instead Baines flicked out a heel (seemingly expecting him to turn back onto his right?!)

Also lol at Huntelaar;

Am2c4-bCQAAGPs4.jpg

That's where your """"opinion"""" becomes, to put it mildly, nonsense.

So you think if England had not stood off for 70 minutes, we would of still lost 3-2? We never even put them under pressure until they got half way inside our half near to the box. Go watch the game where Germany taught Holland a lesson.

Holland are average at best, they could play all their stuff because of how England stood off them for practically 70 minutes. If you get a team what presses constantly like Germany/Spain etc, they get exposed. My opinion, simple.

They're not the best team in teh world but they're > average.

Also we beat Spain not too long ago.

WC is ours.

They're not the best team in teh world but they're > average.

Also we beat Spain not too long ago.

WC is ours.

But my main point is why England stand off so much, we should press much more. Because we stood off so much we let them play their football.

can someone tell me what happened with Huntelaar during the match?
He headbutted Smalling. Or Smalling headbutted Huntelaar. Anyway, Klaas seems to have broken nose, and Chris head concussion.

I would personally keep Parker as captain at the Euro's because even if Terry/Lampard/Gerrard are in the squad neither of them are playing good enough to even get in my starting eleven.

Parker was fairly unlucky tonight with his slips and positioning, for me he's the best role model and leader available to carry a young team to the Euro's.

I know there's a lot of people who think Gerrard should be it hands down but he's tarnished with failure after failure, unless he has a serious pick up in his form he wouldn't get in my team either.

It was a competent display tonight, I thought Welbeck did well but I'm still hoping for Carroll to kick into life as an alternative for the Euro's. Baines did well and Richards is easily our most dangerous fullback, for me they should be our starting fullbacks for the Euro's.

England standing off is a mixture of it being a friendly with Premiership games 3 days later and it's the way Pearce sets his teams up.

Plenty of positives to take from it, still baffles me that coaches put Gareth Barry in their team. I know he's supposedly Mr reliable but surely we will want someone a bit more dynamic and fresher in there for the Euro's?

The major positive is if all things fall in place like they should with Redknapp coming in for the Euro's then this will be Pearce's last game coaching England.

So you think if England had not stood off for 70 minutes, we would of still lost 3-2? We never even put them under pressure until they got half way inside our half near to the box. Go watch the game where Germany taught Holland a lesson.

At this moment in time, Holland is a better team that England. You may not like it, you may not want to accept it, but losing 3-2 against Holland is hardly a disgrace, particularly when you factor in injuries (Although there were injuries on either side), off the pitch issues and the fact this was Pierce's first ever game in senior international management. Everything else is entirely hypothetical.

And pressure/tactics/whatever has nothing to do at all with calling the Netherlands 'average at best'.

I would personally keep Parker as captain at the Euro's because even if Terry/Lampard/Gerrard are in the squad neither of them are playing good enough to even get in my starting eleven.

Parker was fairly unlucky tonight with his slips and positioning, for me he's the best role model and leader available to carry a young team to the Euro's.

I know there's a lot of people who think Gerrard should be it hands down but he's tarnished with failure after failure, unless he has a serious pick up in his form he wouldn't get in my team either.

It was a competent display tonight, I thought Welbeck did well but I'm still hoping for Carroll to kick into life as an alternative for the Euro's. Baines did well and Richards is easily our most dangerous fullback, for me they should be our starting fullbacks for the Euro's.

England standing off is a mixture of it being a friendly with Premiership games 3 days later and it's the way Pearce sets his teams up.

Plenty of positives to take from it, still baffles me that coaches put Gareth Barry in their team. I know he's supposedly Mr reliable but surely we will want someone a bit more dynamic and fresher in there for the Euro's?

The major positive is if all things fall in place like they should with Redknapp coming in for the Euro's then this will be Pearce's last game coaching England.

Michael Carrick. Its a no brainer. Unless Wilshere recovers, if you want an intelligent linkman who has a fairly expansive passing range, and accurate at all distance, who can also carry the ball a bit, you have to pick Carrick. That simple.

Any Dutchmen still on here? According to some of my dutch friends Pearce is getting plaudits in Holland. And not in a pisstake way

Last edited:
Any Dutchmen still on here? According to some of my dutch friends he is getting plaudits in Holland. And not in a pisstake way

Who's getting plaudits? Kind of lost you there :P

Also...
Sky Sports said:
Wales failed to beat Costa Rica on an emotionally charged evening in Cardiff as they went down 1-0 to the slick South Americans.

Good to see they're good at Geography.

Back