Euro 2012 Match Discussion Thread

England have not got the players to play expansive football, this was always going to be the way with these players.

Well Eriksson, McClaren, Capello and now Hodgson all have continued to pick JT even after all the bad stuff he has done over anyone else and I trust their opinion more than yours.

Terry is not the player he once was anymore, he has declined somewhat, so previous managers apart from maybe Capello can't be considered, Jagielka is the better of the two now, that is for sure.

High line doesn't mean it has to be expansive.

You play a high line with Lescott and Jags and you still risk being picked apart at this level especially with someone so poor defensively as Johnson at right back. Sit deeper and you get the best out of Terry which is still one of the best defenders in Europe for sure.

Terry is not the player he once was anymore, he has declined somewhat, so previous managers apart from maybe Capello can't be considered, Jagielka is the better of the two now, that is for sure.

Again that all depends how you want to play. Play a deeper line and Terry is still brilliant for sure. I would question whether he has declined at all. He looked poor under AVB because he played a high line which exposed JT's only weakness. Once Di Matteo came in the defence looked much more solid which includes Terry!.

You play a high line with Lescott and Jags and you still risk being picked apart at this level especially with someone so poor defensively as Johnson at right back. Sit deeper and you get the best out of Terry which is still one of the best defenders in Europe for sure.

There are risks and benefits for both a high line and a deep line. For England I think a high line would suit much better, using the Jagielka-Lescott partnership.

There are risks and benefits for both a high line and a deep line. For England I think a high line would suit much better, using the Jagielka-Lescott partnership.

Not when you have Johnson at right back, liability defensively and positionally. Will be caught playing strikers onside a lot like Bosingwa did when Chelsea played the high line.

Actually a mid to high line is better for England when you consider the way Roy wants us to keep shape and and stifle the opposition, pressing them quite high. It also allows us to counter more easily considering we don't have players capable of accurate long raking passes from the middle of the park. Playing a deep line is actually to Terry's strengths rather than England's

Glad Milner is in the team. He was probably our best player when we played ze Germans at WC 2010....Hope him and OX play well, we can get at that French defence there are mistakes written all over them.

Personally I think England have very little chance of beating France. Maybe a draw but most likely a French win although I understand the patriotic optimism :)

would happily take a draw from this game, will be tough. I predict 1-1

Downing would have scored that, just sayin'.

Loved Evra's complete lack of effort to track Milner's run. Lucky for him he missed.

Get in there you beauty great cross from steve g bin good from england so far!!!!!

Dont rate france defence tbh even pat v said he was nervous about french back 4.