Euro 2012 Match Discussion Thread

Thats what happens when u put some over rated prima donna instead of the person that bangs 48 goals this season. And then when you pair them they will not play well together.

If this is a sign of things to come in the Euro's, I can't predict whos going to win the competition. The first 3 games have been spectacular and I expect Germany vs Portugal to be the same. Its like Christmas has come early for me.

Thats what happens when u put some over rated prima donna instead of the person that bangs 48 goals this season. And then when you pair them they will not play well together.

No offense, but the German League is nothing compared to the Premier League. Van Persie IS NOT overrated. He was arguably the best Centre Forward in the League last year.

Last edited:
[video=youtube;FopyRHHlt3M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FopyRHHlt3M[/video]

Huntelaar hardly tore up the pitch when he came on. Scapegoating Van Persie is wrong. The team weren't good enough today, not just him. Only Sneijder truly acquitted himself well.

No offense, but false 9 or dlp as a lone forward simply does not work in a national level (Messi, van Persie). One team should try to play as simple as possible. And I think this is why Russia although having a talented squad will not go far without Pavlichenko. This is why Italy is so successful in a national level. You do not need a magic and beautiful football, you need discipline and a simple way to attack and defend. Transitions come from the dlp and the full backs as it was said earlier. Forward you need some simple trough ball from a midfielder, a cross + header or an inside cut and a shot. That is it. And if you are able to pair half a team in the national team like usually Germany does with Bayern or Italy does with Juventus or Spain did with Barcelona (now Russia with Zenit) you will have good results and why not even win the competition.

The days of players winning the Championships by themselves as Pelle, Maradona, Baggio, Totti, Zidane are long gone.

Huntelaar hardly tore up the pitch when he came on. Scapegoating Van Persie is wrong. The team weren't good enough today, not just him. Only Sneijder truly acquitted himself well.

He was in for 20ish minutes and got a 1v1 which missed by luck, not composure and got a penalty that was not given. What Persie did for a whole game? Creating 3-5 half chances and often beeing off balance? Even Kjaer who was funny in Roma made him look laughable (Roma fan here).

Last edited:
So Van Persie had a poor game and all of his quality this season for Arsenal doesn't count?

Overrated my ****.

You can't take 1 player from a team and blame that individual for a team not winning the game. To win a game you have to play as a team, you have to take your chances and be solid at the back. This is one reason Denmark won the game. They were solid at the back and took their chance when it mattered.

Holland had what, 28 attempts on goal? You can't blame RVP for this. Robben fluffed a number of chances as did Affelay. Their defence really is not that great. They leave MASSIVE gaps and for the goal thats what happend.

If you don't defend as a unit you are not going to get anything from the game. If you don't communicate, you are going to concede goals. A manager can groan about the number of chances his team had but If they don't defend then for all their chances they created, they count as nothing if they can't defend. A team losing a game is not down to 1 player, its down to the whole team.

Last edited:
I guess I should give up arguing in a website full of Premiership fans, although that league being famous for having the poorest defense quality from all the top leagues - Spain, Germany, France and Italy.

I guess I should give up arguing in a website full of Premiership fans, although that league being famous for having the poorest defense quality from all the top leagues - Spain, Germany, France and Italy.

If only our teams could defend, we might have a team that could defeat Barcelona and Bayern on the way to winning the Champions League... oh wait.

That has nothing to do with it, the fact you are picking out 1 individual for a team not winning a game makes your points silly. If thats the case then is Messi to blame for Barcelona not beating Chelsea in the Champions League? Or is it down to the fact that Chelsea defended solid as a team and took their chances when it mattered and Barcelona couldn't take theirs?

You can't say that RVP is overrated when he won the Golden Boot last season beating the likes of Aguero, Rooney, Drogba etc...then take the FIRST game where didn't play great. That my friend you cannot do.

So the League that has potentially some of the finest defenders in the world in Vidic, Ashley Cole, John Terry, Daniel Agger, Thomas Vermalean, Vicent Kompany, Alexander Kolarov, Micah Richards, Patrice Evra, Rio Ferdinand etc. have the poorest defensive quality among the top league's in you eyes.

Your entire argument hinges on the fact that you think RVP is solely to blame for Hollands loss which is a pretty retarded considering that the entire team played badly and its not like RVP missed 2-3 clear-cut chances or a penalty or got himself sent off. Average performance from him

Not to mention it was Hollands first match

Your entire argument hinges on the fact that you think RVP is solely to blame for Hollands loss which is a pretty retarded considering that the entire team played badly and its not like RVP missed 2-3 clear-cut chances or a penalty or got himself sent off. Average performance from him

Not to mention it was Hollands first match

Precisley my point. If thats his point then we may aswell blame Messi for not winning the Champions League with Barca. Are you going to say that Messi is overrated because he played badly against Chelsea yet managed to score 72(I think) goals last season, Insanity?

Am I the only one thinking that Huntelaar would be able to do at least once the thing Gomez did? Just leave aside the personal preferences and think about tactics and simplicity.

Am I the only one thinking that Huntelaar would be able to do at least once the thing Gomez did? Just leave aside the personal preferences and think about tactics and simplicity.

Be out of game for 70 minutes and then score?

Germany were fairly average against Portugal. They dominated possession but created little of note before scoring. Portugal got lots of men behind the ball but their problem was that they did not produce counters and did not seem to want to do so either given the slow tempo with which they brought the ball out of defence.

Ultimately, Portugal will feel disappointed not to have at least gotten a point out of this game. They had some very good chances, particularly Varela late on as well as looking threatening from corners (Alves missed a free header early on, Pepe hit the post from a corner).

Hummels was very solid at the back and showed why he is one of the most highly rated defenders in Europe. Coentrao was excellent for Portugal at left back. There weren't too many standout players in the game besides these two.

Germany were fairly average against Portugal. They dominated possession but created little of note before scoring. Portugal got lots of men behind the ball but their problem was that they did not produce counters and did not seem to want to do so either given the slow tempo with which they brought the ball out of defence.

Ultimately, Portugal will feel disappointed not to have at least gotten a point out of this game. They had some very good chances, particularly Varela late on as well as looking threatening from corners (Alves missed a free header early on, Pepe hit the post from a corner).

Hummels was very solid at the back and showed why he is one of the most highly rated defenders in Europe. Coentrao was excellent for Portugal at left back. There weren't too many standout players in the game besides these two.
Yes, Mats Hummels was excellent, and deserved his place ahead of Per Mertesacker, but I think the Man of the Match should've been Holger Badstuber. He was solid throughout the game, often dealing with opposition forwards such as Nani, Hugo Almeida and Cristiano Ronaldo.

Thomas Muller was also very positive for Germany, but he seems to not be able to pull a rabbit out of a hat; he seems a well-rounded player, in fairness, but doesn't seem to be brilliant at anything. He is no Mario Gomez with his finishing; nor is he Mesut Ozil with his passing. He seems a bit like Dirk Kuyt to me...consistent, but nothing too special!

- PZW

I was incredibly impressed with Hummels' distribution from the back, he started many of Germany's counter-attacks. Both central defenders were impressively solid against the formidable Portuguese attack (on paper). Boateng handled Ronaldo very well, Schweinsteiger set the tempo as always from midfield and while Gomez is often maligned, his only purpose is to finish chances and that is exactly what he did. Yes, he didn't contribute to attacking moves or create his own chances for 70 minutes but he got his goal.

I thought Khedira was very poor today. His shuttling runs from the holding midfield position often resulted in a shot going harmlessly over the bar or him giving the ball away with a poor pass. He also did very little to protect the back four (no tackles or interceptions all game) and he thought he could carry the team rather than give it to the more technically able Schweinsteiger or Özil. I also thought Podolski's passing and shooting was wasteful (possibly start Götze next game) and Müller offered nothing special down the flank.