Europa League Discussion Thread

Udinese got really, really lucky there. Entertaining football.

Gutted for Birmingham. They actually treated the competition with respect. Did themselves proud.

Proud of how we did in the EL. The teams in the group where technically too good to all be together.

Nobody really gave us a chance and in the end we could have qualified only for some freak mistakes (Cha's OG, Cha's assist to Di Natale) and some questionable decisions (Udinese's peno at CP + could have had a peno tonight for handball)

Overall a decent campaign that has made our players more confident and allowed them to test themselves at a high level.

Proud of how we did in the EL. The teams in the group where technically too good to all be together.

Nobody really gave us a chance and in the end we could have qualified only for some freak mistakes (Cha's OG, Cha's assist to Di Natale) and some questionable decisions (Udinese's peno at CP + could have had a peno tonight for handball)

Overall a decent campaign that has made our players more confident and allowed them to test themselves at a high level.

You acquitted yourselves quite well. In this last game you should've had a penalty because there was quite a clear handball in their box, and the game itself was evenly matched. Forster was quite good, Samaras' first half was really, really good, and even though Udinese are (or should be) a class above you, for most of the game the difference was hardly noticeable.

//Edit - Forster's performance made me think - why exactly isn't he in the England squad, at least as third choice? I mean, surely he should be ahead of Stockdale...

Last edited:
We've conceded some stupid goals this season. Can't believe we didn't qualify but I suppose we've got to pay the price for complacency. Zamora has got to go in Jan, somehow QPR, Sunderland and Tottenham are interested despite him being ****. If we can offload him and AJ and bring in Gignac and someone else, it would be a good piece of business. Not sure how long Jol will last to be honest, I'm happy with him for now but some fans really hate him.

Here's the Wisla reaction though, fair play to them.

[video=youtube;4Kb_NK6Onoo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Kb_NK6Onoo[/video]

Zamora has to go, not interested at all. Jol needs more time, h'es trying to play something different and more ambitious, and that takes time

I expected it. Nothing to do with Celtic being ****, just that they were in a tough group with some very good clubs (part of the reason why i gave them little chance) but they played better than i expected and can be pround of their performance

Celtic - United would be epic. No more Nakamura to score amazing freekick(s). 3 goals against us I believe.
Also I got strange desire to eat fish. Totally unrelated.

Bit strange how every English team in Europe essentially got the toughest draw possible today, strange method of drawing the balls as well in the Europa League how he kept his hand on the same ball when moving it around and drew that ball making the moving of other balls around it redundant.

But that would be the words of a conspiracy theorist, I think it was just pure chance personally. Definitely one of the stranger draws I've ever witnessed though, every English team got the toughest opponent possible. At least the calibre of opponents should prompt English teams to take the Europa League possible, if they all go out of the Europa the co-efficient will take a serious knock.

On the bright side that whole 'could Barcelona or the Spanish cope in a cold midweek game at Stoke' cliche will finally be put to the test...

Porto X City and then winner of this one against Sporting X Legia Warsaw. Round of 16 should be interesting.

Thought I'd start this discussion thread back up about the Europa League..
So here's the matches, so which teams do you think will have the advantage for the second leg?

Round of 32

Tuesday 14th February
- Rubin Kazan v Olympiakos 11am
- Braga v Besiktas 17.30pm

Thursday 16th February
- Lokomotiv Moscow v Athletic Bilbao 17.00pm
- Ajax v Man Utd 18.00pm
- AZ Alkmaar v Anderlecht 18.00pm
- Lazio v Atletico Madrid 18.00pm
- Legia Warsaw v Sporting 18.00pm
- Plzen v Schalke 04 18.00pm
- SV Salzburg v FC Metalist Kharkiv 18.00pm
- FC Porto v Man City 20.05pm
- Hannover 96 v Club Brugge 20.05pm
- Steaua Bucharest v FC Twente 20.05pm
- Stoke v Valencia 20.05pm
- Trabzonspor v PSV Eindhoven 20.05pm
- Udinese v PAOK Salonika 20.05pm
- Wisla Krakow v Standard Liege 20.05pm

Rubin Kazan
Braga
Athletic Bilbao
Man Utd
AZ Alkmaar
Atletico Madrid
Sporting
Schalke 04
SV Salzburg
FC Porto v Man City No idea Hannover 96
FC Twente
Stoke
Psv Eindhoven
Udinese
Standard Liege

FC.Porto vs City started now !!! Come on Porto <3

Everybody who is seeing this games post your Predictins ;)

Mine is FCP 2-1 MNC

Balotelli getting racial abuse. Sigh. More negative press thanks to a small bunch of scum

On pitch-good game.

Actually I take that back. Now seems to be a lot of cheating taking place.

The fact that Hulk is built like a brick outhouse, yet goes down like a featherweight is just lols

The fact that Hulk is built like a brick outhouse, yet goes down like a featherweight is just lols

I'm an Porto fan but i have to agree with that...

Porto is playing amazingly, much better than City and for the City players Richards and Leescott realy impressed me...

Alvaro Pereira own goal was a bit of dissapointing because it isn't his fault but (IMO) Helton's fault because he should have screamed that he would hold the ball ...

I'm an Porto fan but i have to agree with that...

Porto is playing amazingly, much better than City and for the City players Richards and Leescott realy impressed me...

Alvaro Pereira own goal was a bit of dissapointing because it isn't his fault but (IMO) Helton's fault because he should have screamed that he would hold the ball ...

Richards is certainly a very good player-wouldn't like to have him bearing down on me. Problem with Lescott sometimes is he can have a really good run of a few games....then go missing in the next few.

Richards is certainly a very good player-wouldn't like to have him bearing down on me. Problem with Lescott sometimes is he can have a really good run of a few games....then go missing in the next few.

Hulk barely beat him in one vs one and lescott is covering Richards very well but the result is unfair IMO