Europa League Discussion Thread

I can't understand why English teams take this competition so unbelievably not-seriously.

Atleti are building their season around it and El Loco is focusing on it as the trophy he can win. I know they're in a different scenario to United/City but there's no reason you can't mix in key players and young players. I just think it's hugely disrespectful to any European competition when you basically go into it looking to throw it so you get a bit of rest for a game on the Saturday.

Well look at it this way. There's always a point when the biggest clubs get upstaged, this year was Utds turn unfortunately. Even the biggest clubs in the world get embarassed at some point.

Indeed, but we did shoot ourselves in the foot when we really should have gotten the better of an 'easy' group. No disrespect to both Benfica and Basel, but many would have expected us to come top.

I just hope that the form we've been in for the last month and a bit will not continue throughout the entire season. The lack of converting our chances into goals like we had done at the start is extremely worrying and with the injuries to Hernandez and Berbatov, we only have two front men.

Beware Tottenham and Stoke, Man Utd are coming to win the EUROPA LEAGUE (god it doesn't sound right what so ever)

Indeed, but we did shoot ourselves in the foot when we really should have gotten the better of an 'easy' group. No disrespect to both Benfica and Basel, but many would have expected us to come top.

I just hope that the form we've been in for the last month and a bit will not continue throughout the entire season. The lack of converting our chances into goals like we had done at the start is extremely worrying and with the injuries to Hernandez and Berbatov, we only have two front men.

True. The timing of the injuries couldn't be more sickening. And there's still the results to come back from the injury Vidic got too.

Stoke had no chance of winning it anyway!

I'd say they have more chance than us to be honest. Can't see Fergie taking this competition seriously as all, using it maybe to rest key players for the league which realisticly the only silverware we'll win this season. Stoke on the other hand have nothing to lose and will get any team a tough game with their "unique" style of play.

Didn't Spurs already drop out? Finished 3rd if I recall?

I wouldn't know, until now I haven't taken much notice of this competition if I'm totally honest with you. If so then great, what's the odds for a Manchester City v Manchester United final?

Yeah Spurs are out. Which gives them more chance (potentially) of an outside chance of a title challenge

I wouldn't know, until now I haven't taken much notice of this competition if I'm totally honest with you. If so then great, what's the odds for a Manchester City v Manchester United final?

I think it was 5-1 for City and 7-1 for Utd.

PSG won, but are out because Salzburg won their game. Crazy stuff!

Didn't Spurs already drop out? Finished 3rd if I recall?
There's still one match left to be played, if Spurs beat Shamrock with 5+ and Rubin gets defeated by PAOK, then Spurs will go further.

Been watchin the Fulham match and its safe to say Zamora is clearly unhappy. He's been poor in the first half-not the usual Zamora

Been watchin the Fulham match and its safe to say Zamora is clearly unhappy. He's been poor in the first half-not the usual Zamora

I've heard he's been linked with us, aong other potential suitors - Certainly not what we need but it's clear he needs to move.

I really hope we sell Zamora. His attitude has been poor. It'd be brilliant if somebody like QPR were stupid enough to offer £8m-£10mm, we could get a younger striker and Gignac. Frei has been immense, I really hope we hang onto him and make him a great player. This is why Jol is great, Hodgson or Hughes would never have started Frei or Gecov.

I've heard he's been linked with us, aong other potential suitors - Certainly not what we need but it's clear he needs to move.

Definately not the player we need if he's got a poor attitude. Moyes would tear layers from him with that attitude

Matías Suarez is on fire. Hasn't had the best of games tonight, yet he's scored a goal and assisted two of the others. Anderlecht with a great comeback and they now lead 4-1.

Wow. A goal in Fergie time sends Fulham out of the EL.