Europeans not accepting of American soccer fans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canesdude

Reaction score
It seems like a lot of Europeans want soccer to be big in America, but then, as you see in this slightly amusing video of a Sounders fan screaming into a microphone, someone comments "please stop liking our sport" and another says how Americans are ***** *** fans.

Now, I am a part of a supporter's group. I understand that some of the more "hipster" markets, such as teams in the Cascadia area (Vancouver, Portland, Seattle) aren't true fans. However, teams with more of a latin fanbase, such as New York or Dallas, seem to be more true fans, but we still get a bad reputation across the pond.

So what do you want us to do? Like your sport or not?

Like it, but you are only a true fan if you call it football ;)

So Australians and South Africans aren't true fans either?

images

Nothing wrong with others supporting the sport, it's good for it. Some people are just ignorant/stupid.

I support Literal Football, but Americans like Figurative Football

Football.. NOT.. ******... SOCCER! ~~!

I think the game has potential to evolve all over the globe, and with the demographic salad that is the US, it might get bigger there too, as we've seen in the recent WC, the national team has been getting better.

So Australians and South Africans aren't true fans either?

That little ;) in my first post indicated that my post was joke... anyone can support it, i don't care, i watch the odd red bulls game on ESPN, just as entertaining as any Premier League game imo

America could use some commentators who actually have a clue about the game, though. Some of the pre-season games on tour have been just painful with them.

Each country develops fans according to their own traditions and culture. 90% of our fans, or Brazilian fans, could very well be called savages in Europe or North America, just like you're taking some heat from football fans around the world now.

It comes with the territory of being the world's superpower...many Europeans and Latin Americans have told me that it would be the worst thing in the world if the US won a World Cup. Not sure why exactly, but I think it's because we're the best at so many different things that those people couldn't handle us dominating at soccer. Especially since it's not really our sport and it would involve beating countries where soccer is king. I think most people would like the US to get good at soccer since it would make things more interesting (having a rich and powerful league outside of Europe among other things), but they wouldn't want us to win too much. People would be ****** if a team called Real Salt Lake or the Los Angeles Galaxy beat the traditional powers. And of course Mexico definitely doesn't want us to get good at soccer. Since we've risen to their level the past decade they have already become insecure about it. Although with how good their youth teams are right now it will be a while before we're better than them.

Also why are "hipster" markets not real fans? Are you serious? The Sounders fans are the best in the country, and Portland and Vancouver fans are also great. I'm from the Northwest and I find it a bit offensive and ridiculous that you think we can't be "real" sports fans. Is it because those places are "liberal"?

1. I don't give a **** if some Euros don't like Americans liking "their sport". I like soccer/football. If that makes you mad, go suck the shine off a tailpipe.

2. Yes our commentators are ****, but that's because not many of america's good commentators want to be stuck doing an MLS match...

3. Hipsters suck. I'm sure there are a contingent of hipster fans in Seattle/Van/Portland, but I think a lot of them are also probably actual soccer and sports fans with almost no professional sports teams whatsoever (Seattle Seahawks,Portland Trailblazers, Mariners, Canucks) Most of who suck every single year except the nucks. So to have something they can be good at will draw fans naturally; not just hipsters looking to a new fad.

Considering the MLS is bigger than the SPL, I would say Football fans in America are accepted generally by European football fans.

Alot of fans are ignorant to the external football zone of their club/domestic league so I wouldn't worry about people putting down American fans, part of why I like this FM Base community is most people hold no bias and hold a good knowledge of world football.

I have to say though the commentators over there make my blood boil, but then I remember the moronic pundits we have over here like Savage and it seems more...Comparable.

The problem with football commentators/pundits in the states is they are just...Well...Uneducated on footballers names/European football.

But like I said, over here we hire people like Allardyce/Savage/Yorke to do punditry so on balance it's not as bad as people think.

On certain conditions:

1. Don't speak to us as "Europeans". We have different countries over here. If you do so we will call you yanks.

2. Call it football.

3. Rename football handegg.

4. Drop your stupid draft system

Thanks.

On certain conditions:

1. Don't speak to us as "Europeans". We have different countries over here. If you do so we will call you yanks.

2. Call it football.

3. Rename football handegg.

4. Drop your stupid draft system

Thanks.
I still can't believe people aren't able to accept 'soccer' and 'football' as equal terms.
And I think the draft system is fine.

I still can't believe people aren't able to accept 'soccer' and 'football' as equal terms.

I was being sarcastic/joking.

And I still think the draft system is stupid.

This. Doesn't matter if some nations call it as handball or net ball as long as they are playing the game and according to the rules.

Why drop the draft system? If we had that over here it would be amazing. The MLS is a really well run league and the standard is improving all the time but though there are very knowledgeable American fans the vast amount of fans won't even be able to tell you ten or so US players. The taking the **** out US soccer/fans is banter don't take it too seriously. The commentators arn't that bad it's just they say things like "He hits it in the cage!" But then we have slang that sounds stupid to there people like "doing the lollipop" or "hits the woodwork" etc. Each nation will have their own culture it would be stupid and boring if we were all the same.

Commentators and coaching aren't good because very few people older than 25 knew of or watched soccer when they were young. That generation just isn't soccer savvy. I do agree with BobbyMoore though, we have our own slang that Brits might think is stupid.

Draft system is awesome and necessary for a franchise system and great for creating a league with parity. There's a reason ALL of our sports leagues have it. It's not as good for soccer though, mainly since the NCAA system is absolute **** for developing players and we need our clubs to start making good youth teams, and they need incentives to do so (right now the system is any player can leave a clubs youth team for another club).

I like to keep tabs on the MLS but i dont think the fans help with some of the things they say. Once apon a time someone told me an American at a Chelsea game shouted out "Oh my god Ballack that was a suicide ball". And with some of the commentators what they say like "right in the top 90" so on and so forth. Plus yes please would you call it Football, until you do then it wont be taken seriously. American football is mainly played with hands so call it American hugely padded Rugby or something.

Why is it so important that everyone calls it football?! Who cares?! It's the same game anyway!

Status
Not open for further replies.