Europeans not accepting of American soccer fans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like to keep tabs on the MLS but i dont think the fans help with some of the things they say. Once apon a time someone told me an American at a Chelsea game shouted out "Oh my god Ballack that was a suicide ball". And with some of the commentators what they say like "right in the top 90" so on and so forth. Plus yes please would you call it Football, until you do then it wont be taken seriously. American football is mainly played with hands so call it American hugely padded Rugby or something.

Why does linguistics matter? Should they stop calling their trousers pants so to appease us?

And what the **** is a suicide ball.

Why does linguistics matter? Should they stop calling their trousers pants so to appease us?

And what the **** is a suicide ball.

Im guessing a dangerous pass lol.

I think it's bullshit really. I'm a fan of Tampa Bay Buccaneers as well, but then again I get the 'stick to your own sport' too. It's a matter of opinion I guess.

I think some american fans are douchey just like some english fans are douchey, all countries have fans that are massive d-bags. I accept american football fans as much as I accept french, spanish or danish fans.

However watching the pre-season games I think the commentators can be quite over the top which can be funny at times and can be annoying at other times.

Why is it so important that everyone calls it football?! Who cares?! It's the same game anyway!

This. I am so tired of explaining the history behind the term soccer to Europeans who insist that the name is so important yet don't understand the reasons behind the names. Especially since it's they who are being condescending to us for being 'football illiterate.'

This. I am so tired of explaining the history behind the term soccer to Europeans who insist that the name is so important yet don't understand the reasons behind the names. Especially since it's they who are being condescending to us for being 'football illiterate.'

Then what's the reason behind calling a sport played with your hands 'football'? I mean, it's rugby for poofs and you call it football, yet you call football 'soccer'. I give a rats *** about the history of the term, we can all wiki it after all. You could call football 'Sunday mass' for all I care. I'm not going to run around shooting people for calling it 'soccer', but it annoys me really.

Yes I can be a narrowminded ******* sometimes, but if there's one thing I don't like about Americans (Aside from the fact they call themselves after a whole ****** continent!) is the fact they 'changed' a sport's name for their own... convenience? That said, I'm also against driving on the right, but I'm not that vocal about it (here). :p

Last edited:
Seriously I cant find anything more stupid to argue on. Who cares if Americans call it soccer, god you all know what they mean stop being stupidly pedantic on something so insignificant

Just tried to check if the same arguement was running on the sm-base website...alas i fail again

Also why are "hipster" markets not real fans? Are you serious? The Sounders fans are the best in the country, and Portland and Vancouver fans are also great. I'm from the Northwest and I find it a bit offensive and ridiculous that you think we can't be "real" sports fans. Is it because those places are "liberal"?
Many of the fans from Pac-NW areas are there for the culture and not the game. I'm sure some actually care about soccer but the majority want to be different.

Tbh, I don't care if American's call it soccer, but what does annoy me is that they call American Football - football.

I think the commentators definitely need to improve, but tbf football hasn't been that big over there for that long, so most won't have lived their whole life playing/watching/reading about football so their knowledge won't necessarily be that good. As the next generation come through I think you will see the standard of American soccer commentators improve vastly.

But, on-topic I think it's only good for football that it's becoming bigger in the US. I hope one day it can be nearly as popular as football, basketball and baseball in America.

Last edited:
I could hardly care less whether Americans as a whole like Football, nor do I care if their standard of League improves. I don't intend to live there and attend matches, nor do I wish to stream their games so I am not fussed.

I'm not sure why the term Soccer seems offensive to Football fans, it just does for some unexplainable reason, but yes it would be more accurate for American 'Football' to be renamed Hand-Egg.

Some of the newer MLS teams have some nice small stadiums. I think around 20kish capacity. Just the right size. Not big enough to **** people off (for various reasons) and not so small as to make us look pathetic.

Fact is, my generation grew up with soccer as a viable sporting option alongside peewee football and baseball (and to an extent basketball). My generation watches probably 10 times more soccer than Generation X. Soccer will continue to grow in the US, much to the chagrin of the bygones.

Never base a thread on youtube comments.

Since when people should tell others what they can or can't like?

If they really like football (as europeans, e.g.), good for them. If not, the same.
I don't care about nor i have nothing to say to them regarding this.

Then what's the reason behind calling a sport played with your hands 'football'? I mean, it's rugby for poofs and you call it football, yet you call football 'soccer'. I give a rats *** about the history of the term, we can all wiki it after all. You could call football 'Sunday mass' for all I care. I'm not going to run around shooting people for calling it 'soccer', but it annoys me really.

Yes I can be a narrowminded ******* sometimes, but if there's one thing I don't like about Americans (Aside from the fact they call themselves after a whole ****** continent!) is the fact they 'changed' a sport's name for their own... convenience? That said, I'm also against driving on the right, but I'm not that vocal about it (here). :p

What's the point of calling a sport where you kick with your feet 'heel' when you very rarely actually kick the ball with your heel? What's the point of giving a sport a name that's just a translation? And how about calling rugby 'football?' You don't use your feet very much to kick the ball in rugby either.

Once again, Americans did NOT invent the term soccer. The British did. There was association football and rugby football and the former was sometimes called soccer (from the abbreviation 'assoc. football'). Rugby became more popular in the US, Canada, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, some Caribbean nations, etc., so in those places, association football was called by its popular British nickname 'soccer,' while rugby football became known as football. In the US, a variation of rugby eventually became so popular that it replaced rugby, so we call that football instead. If you can find one problem with this than please let us know but don't respond with the same old tired argument that we changed things to accomodate our own ways or that soccer is played with the feet and should be called football.

As far as our name, yes it is annoying that we can only be called Americans in English. Luckily in Spanish you don't have to, and I always use either 'estadounidense' or 'yanqui,' but a lot of the time people don't understand so I'm forced to say 'americano.' To be fair we were the first independent nation in the Americas, so I guess we got dibbs on the name. Mainly it happened because at that time we only thought of ourselves as being from certain states (you considered yourself a Virginian, a New Yorker, etc., not an American), so we didn't have a word for the colonies as a whole. The best we could do was come up with the name the United States of America.

Also, we're not named after one continent...there's two continents with the name America. Might not sound like a big deal but it makes a big difference. If you want to refer to people of one continent (like when we say Europeans), than you say either North Americans or South Americans. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to refer collectively to people from two continents. Even though Europe and Asia are connected by much more than a narrow isthmus (and shouldn't be considered separate continents for that matter), we don't hear people talk about Euro-Asians. Sometimes you hear about the Eurasian super continent, but the term Eurasian usually refers to someone who lives in Central Asia between Europe and Asia. So yeah, I don't think it's too big of a problem. Just say North American or South American when you refer to people of one of those continents.

Many of the fans from Pac-NW areas are there for the culture and not the game. I'm sure some actually care about soccer but the majority want to be different.

Yeah we actually don't even watch the games when we go to them. Usually we just listen to Indie music while having gay *** and burning American flags, because we really like to be different and counter-cultural.

It's not really a matter of what they call football over there, what English people are more ****** about is the way that Americans are changing the English language with regards to everything, then calling it English. I don't mind but I know people who do. I love watching American Football [New England Patriots] (only because they have England in their name XD) and I'm positive that there are Americans that support Wigan Athletic which doesn't concern me in the slightest, I'm all for Wigan's profile being raised around the world and I bet they're all for NEP's profile being raised over here.

What bugs me more is how Rugby League clubs over here call themselves football clubs lol.

I know this might be hard for some egotistical American's to believe, but us 'Europeans' (I always refer to myself as a European because I'm a complete moron who's never been taught geography and can only name three countries) our lives don't revolve around America and what they do, very few people I know care about football in America, and in my opinion that's fair enough, it's terrible..

I also don't care if you call it soccer, it's not soccer, but that's fine, I can understand how difficult it must be for an American to have one word for more than one thing.. ;)

And yes the MLS is a better standard of football than Scotland, in the same way that Scotland have a much better standard of football than Malta, what's your point.

I do hope American's will one day understand how to deal with sarcasm.

It comes with the territory of being the world's superpower...many Europeans and Latin Americans have told me that it would be the worst thing in the world if the US won a World Cup.

Those two sentence alone make me hate you, get over yourself. You are the perfect fit of a stereotypical American self-important, ego maniac. And yes I'm judging you while sitting here drinking tea and eating crumpets, which is particularly difficult with my wooden teeth :(

Last edited:
Well by and large most "mature" Europeans do accept the MLS and American soccer. There are a few degenerates who still think that americans cant play it but over the past 10 years the standard both domestically and internationally has improved. And im glad the likes of Seattle and Portland have good fan bases. Fair enough there a bit erratic but at least there there for the games. American Soccer is on the rise.
However if people want to talk about American Football please do so in the nfl thread as this is off topic. I dont have a problem with the name as I also call it soccer due to my national sport is also called football. I call it football on here due to avoid the exact kind of comments on here like: What is soccer and just call it football will ya.

Re the draft system, I quite like it as it gives all the teams a fighting chance of getting good players. And the salary cap is great to keep debts down. I would actually like to see something similar in european football as it would control the spiralling costs in football.

Status
Not open for further replies.