Not open for further replies.

ajt09

Nice Guy Gramps
Reaction score
View attachment 200119View attachment 200121

Everton vs Manchester United

Goodison Park

Kickoff: 12:00

Manchester United travel to Goodison Park on Saturday, eager to erase the memory of the 6-1 hammering they recieved at the hands of their noisy neighbours. Manchester United currently sit in 2nd place behind City, 5 points behind, and will be eager to show that they are able to bounce back from such a terrible mauling. However, Sir Alex would've preferred to demonstrate their strength of character at a venue other than Goodison Park.

In the two previous trips to Goodison Park, the Toffee's have scored 6 goals against Manchester United. Including the two in injury time, that resulted in the epic comeback from being 3-1 down to snatching a 3-3 in injury time. However, it could so nearly have finished 4-3.

And Everton will be looking to recover from the heartbreaking loss to Chelsea in the Carling Cup during midweek, though they were able to pick up 3 points at Craven Cottage last weekend. However, a lot of the regular first team squad played in the match against Chelsea, which could prove to be an advantage for Manchester United, who have the luxury of rotation of the majority of their players. 11 changes were made for the Carling Cup match against Aldershot, in which they won 3-0. This demonstrates the depth, and more importantly, the strength, of Manchester United's squad.

Team News

Everton captain Phil Neville picked up a knock in the Chelsea match which forced him off at half time, and is a doubt for the match. However, Louis Saha is expected to keep his place in the squad, after scoring for the club twice in 2 games. Tim Cahill lasted the full match against Chelsea, but also picked up a knock in extra-time so is also a doubt. Royston Drenthe will also be unavailable, after being sent off following his 2 yellows in the match against Chelsea.

Winger Ashley Young is a slight doubt with a toe injury but is expected to recover in time. Jonny Evans will miss the game through suspension, following his sending off. But Wayne Rooney is fit to face the Toffees.

Possible Starting Elevens:

Everton: Howard, Hibbert, Jagielka, Distin, Baines, Osman, Rodwell, Fellaini, Coleman, Cahill, Saha
Man Utd: De Gea, Evra, Ferdinand, Vidic, Smalling, Nani, Fletcher, Anderson, Young, Rooney, Welbeck

Prediction:

Heart says 1-1, but realistically, going for a 2-1 United.

Heard Neville and Cahill are out for tomorrow's game and also Young is out for us.

One of the tricky away fixture, would take any type of win, be it a narrow 1-0 or scrappy 2-1 or anything.

I think we need to get refreshed as sson as possible and even though Everton are tough i see it has a possibility that we can forget all about the other 'Manchester'. I predict a tight game, but with United snatching it; 1-0/2-0.

Looking forward to this! It would be typical Everton if we took something from this game, however I think Utd will win 3-2, Young, Nani, Welbeck; Vellios, Distin

Ffs. Sunilvk7 is right. Cahill is indeed ruled out. At least Saha is fit to start thank god

Ffs. Sunilvk7 is right. Cahill is indeed ruled out. At least Saha is fit to start thank god

From United pov we would have asked for reversal. I dont mind Cahill as I do think we can mark him out, but Saha is too good a player. I'm worried about him.

From United pov we would have asked for reversal. I dont mind Cahill as I do think we can mark him out, but Saha is too good a player. I'm worried about him.

Saha can pose a thread-but as we know, one knock and that's it. Or he pulls something. I'll be keeping everything crossed lol. I get nervous when he gets tackled sometimes

On a possible plus, may get to see Barkley involved tomorrow.

Last edited:
Saha can pose a thread-but as we know, one knock and that's it. Or he pulls something. I'll be keeping everything crossed lol. I get nervous when he gets tackled sometimes

Yeah given his injury record that is understandable. Hopefully he will get a slight knock that will keep him out of the game :P

De gea

Smalling
Jones
Vidic
Fabio

Valencia
Cleverley
Giggs
Park

Rooney
Hernandez

That would be my team tomorrow. Evra needs to be dropped for a few games maybe that will give him a kick up the **** to actually do his main job on the pitch, defend, instead of coasting through games.

De gea

Smalling
Jones
Vidic
Fabio

Valencia
Cleverley
Giggs
Park

Rooney
Hernandez

That would be my team tomorrow. Evra needs to be dropped for a few games maybe that will give him a kick up the **** to actually do his main job on the pitch, defend, instead of coasting through games.

I'm sure Baines will show Evra how to do his job properly ;)

United's aura of invincibility has long since been shed.. Everton have a good chance in this game although I will be going for a scrappy United 1-0 win

United's aura of invincibility has long since been shed.. Everton have a good chance in this game although I will be going for a scrappy United 1-0 win

what aura of invincibility? only pundits talk like that. Still very hard to beat, that hasnt changed

De gea

Smalling
Jones
Vidic
Fabio

Valencia
Cleverley
Giggs
Park

Rooney
Hernandez

that would leave centre midfield undermanned, definitely start fletcher over giggs, and ask him to just patrol in front of the back 4

what aura of invincibility? only pundits talk like that. Still very hard to beat, that hasnt changed

I am just referring to how pundits have stopped talking about United being unbeatable... And yes they are very hard to beat, hence why I am going for a United win :)

The main fear I have is for the ultimate wind-up from Rooney. To score the winner in the 93rd minute. That would....destroy me lol

The main fear I have is for the ultimate wind-up from Rooney. To score the winner in the 93rd minute. That would....destroy me lol

haha, i expect everton to double up on up. But we havent been good at exploiting that. This is where our wingers should be cutting inside

haha, i expect everton to double up on up. But we havent been good at exploiting that. This is where our wingers should be cutting inside

I just hope we can cope with pace, and need Fellaini to maintain his composure. We simply cannot afford to get punished by silly fouls on the edge of the box. That's just asking for trouble. But for me the main problem is simply stamina after the midweek game. That's going to rear it's ugly head-and why I'm expecting a loss. Albiet a close loss.

Not trying to sound pessimistic but I think this would end up in a draw. Goodison Park had always been a tough place for us to visit.

Here's some match facts to gaze upon:

Head-to-head
  • Everton have won only one of the past 12 matches between the two sides.
  • They have only defeated Manchester United three times in their 19 Premier League meetings at Goodison Park.
  • United have won 13 of those games, scoring 38 times - an average of two goals a game.
Everton
  • Everton's record against teams in the top half of the table is the worst in the division.
  • Six of their 10 Premier League goals this season have come in the final 10 minutes of their matches.
  • Everton have not kept a clean sheet in eight league and cup matches.
  • Last season, Leighton Baines was involved in 16 Everton league goals (notching five goals and 11 assists). So far, he has been involved in one (one goal, no assists).
Manchester United
  • Second-placed United come into the match off a 6-1 loss to title-challenging neighbours Manchester City - their heaviest-ever Premier League defeat.
  • United have not suffered back-to-back defeats for 31 matches in all competitions.
  • Sir Alex Ferguson's side have only won two of their past six matches.
  • United's top goal-scorer Wayne Rooney (nine in the league, 11 in all competitions) has not scored in the club's past four Premier League matches. His last league goal came in a 3-1 win against Chelsea on 18 September.

I like Everton a lot but for this game, especially after the derby mauling, I have to say 1-0 or 2-1 Man Utd. Hope I'm proven wrong though. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back