Everton's Royston Drenthe says Lionel Messi repeatedly referred to him as 'negro

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunilvk7

SAF greatest ever.
Reaction score
Royston Drenthe joined Premier League side Everton on a season long loan at the end of last August from his parent club Real Madrid. The Dutchman had been edged out at the La Liga Champions and moved to Merseyside after another loan move to Hercules.

Whilst with Real Madrid he came up against Barcelona more than once and Drenthe isn't happy with the way players from the Catalan club referred to him, singling out Lionel Messi for criticism. It's not often Messi is criticised, especially over something as serious as this, and as such it's bound to make big news.

Drenthe was speaking to NuSport, and is already quoted by AS in Spain, his criticisms show a difference in culture and appraoch to racial issues "I played a lot against Messi in recent years and we always had problems. You know what bothered me most? The way he talked, always called me 'negro, negro,'"

"I understand that it is common in South America, but I can not stand it, Mahamadou Diarra, my teammate at Real Madrid, got angry when Higuain and Heinze (Real Madrid team mates) spoke to him that way. So in the end they stopped."

The last time Drenthe came up against Messi was for Hercules and he had the same issues he'd experienced before "When the Hercules won in Barcelona I had a little incident with him. Before the match, shook my hand and said 'hello, negro' a few times. After the game he did not greet me."

Drenthe also talked about his future and said he could be moving back to Holland "I want to again do what I like and that's football, in addition, Rotterdam is my city, Feyenoord has not called me yet, but of course I would not mind. Maybe I'll call them myself."

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/...essi-repeatedly-referred-t?xg_source=activity

If true Messi should also be banned for few games just like any other player.?

Last edited:
Any need for the sarcastic comments about messi? also why is he talking about it now? why not make the complaint at the time?

Well he is not asking for Messi to be punished isn't it. He just mentioned about few incidents in one of his interview.

I thin he didn't complain as "Negro" is commonly used but it is the context that matters? I'm not entirely sure, I said that as Drenthe mentioned "tone".

Well he is not asking for Messi to be punished isn't it. He just mentioned about few incidents in one of his interview.

I thin he didn't complain as "Negro" is commonly used but it is the context that matters? I'm not entirely sure, I said that as Drenthe mentioned "tone".

So then why make a sarcastic comment about Messi?

Also he would only be under action if Drenthe made a complaint, so far it seems he hasnt.

Any need for the sarcastic comments about messi? also why is he talking about it now? why not make the complaint at the time?

Why can't he say this? No player on the field shouldn't say this on the field.

Also he would only be under action if Drenthe made a complaint, so far it seems he hasnt.

That's how it will turn out.

Why can't he say this? No player on the field shouldn't say this on the field.

Thats not really my point. I was referring to sunilvk7 making a sarcastic comment.

If it was said, why not make a complaint, why wait till may to bring it up? Now little can be done.

How do you know? I mean did you post this merely to take a pop at Messi? If it was said and can be backed with probability then you can say Messi should get banned

Thats not really my point. I was referring to sunilvk7 making a sarcastic comment.

If it was said, why not make a complaint, why wait till may to bring it up? Now little can be done.

Sarcastic comment could have been avoided and I can't believe you wasted 3 posts to point out that.

Re second point, there are 100s of incidents where players failed to complain and even confirmed by ex players. He is not asking Messi to be punished, he just gave interview probably in which they asked about few incidents.

How do you know? I mean did you post this merely to take a pop at Messi? If it was said and can be backed with probability then you can say Messi should get banned

I clearly said IF true. I didn't say Messi should be banned. I added magical word IF

Sarcastic comment could have been avoided and I can't believe you wasted 3 posts to point out that.

Re second point, there are 100s of incidents where players failed to complain and even confirmed by ex players. He is not asking Messi to be punished, he just gave interview probably in which they asked about few incidents.

I made 3 posts because you seemingly ignored my first two.

So if he doesnt complain, how can messi be punished? And thus how can you claim that messi should be punished?

I made 3 posts because you seemingly ignored my first two.

So if he doesnt complain, how can messi be punished? And thus how can you claim that messi should be punished?

I have deleted that last point so we can save time not commenting on sarcastic comment.

He didn't complain, but now officials knows something happened, so surely they can look at incident? They can ask Drenthe for more information?

I have deleted that last point so we can save time not commenting on sarcastic comment.

He didn't complain, but now officials knows something happened, so surely they can look at incident? They can ask Drenthe for more information?

Harder to find evidence/people to remember so many months down the line.

I said this about Suarez and i'll say the same about Messi, if in his native tongue/chosen language it is not racist then how else are they suppost to know?? Like i said about Suarez at the time, he is not a racist but should have been more educated.

Don't know if it happened, but a few things make me suspect it isn't true, or if it is Drenthe has embellished it.

1) From a couple of quick educated guesses, the most games Drenthe could've played against Messi before the Hercules game was about three or so. Hardly playing against him 'a lot'.

2) If he understands that it is common in South America and that there was likely no malice in it, why is he worked up about it? Moreover, why is he worked up about it NOW, over a year out from the event in question? Smacks to me of attention-seeking.

3) Who says 'hello, negro' a 'few times'? Who even says 'hello' more than once when shaking hands briefly with an opposition footballer? Saying 'hello negro, hello negro, hello negro' doesn't make sense unless Messi's trying to wind him up, which I'm ruling out on the basis of Messi's well-earned nice guy image.

sunilvk7 said:
But since he is Messi who could do no wrong I will say Drenthe will be branded as liar.

Saying 'hello negro, hello negro, hello negro' doesn't make sense unless Messi's trying to wind him up, which I'm ruling out on the basis of Messi's well-earned nice guy image.

So what I said in OP (before) was not sarcastic, it is fact/truth.

Don't know if it happened, but a few things make me suspect it isn't true, or if it is Drenthe has embellished it.

1) From a couple of quick educated guesses, the most games Drenthe could've played against Messi before the Hercules game was about three or so. Hardly playing against him 'a lot'.

2) If he understands that it is common in South America and that there was likely no malice in it, why is he worked up about it? Moreover, why is he worked up about it NOW, over a year out from the event in question? Smacks to me of attention-seeking.

3) Who says 'hello, negro' a 'few times'? Who even says 'hello' more than once when shaking hands briefly with an opposition footballer? Saying 'hello negro, hello negro, hello negro' doesn't make sense unless Messi's trying to wind him up, which I'm ruling out on the basis of Messi's well-earned nice guy image.

**** stirring 101 by him or press? Thats why i asked why wait till now

Lets be honest, if im Drenthe and Messi calls me that then it's not like i don't have any ammo to hit him back with. Midgit, Dwarf, young child and the list goes on lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.