Everton's Royston Drenthe says Lionel Messi repeatedly referred to him as 'negro

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what I said in OP (before) was not sarcastic, it is fact/truth.
You admitted it was sarcastic. I was just wondering why the quip about messi, as opposed to taking apart what was said.

Lets be honest, if im Drenthe and Messi calls me that then it's not like i don't have any ammo to hit him back with. Midgit, Dwarf, young child and the list goes on lol.

**** that, if he said to it me, im going to be a little "late" with my next tackle.

You admitted it was sarcastic. I was just wondering why the quip about messi, as opposed to taking apart what was said.

I meant it to be sarcastic, but thats how many thinks. Messi can do no wrong.

Edit: Why he said that now? We have no idea just like how Jason Roberts said he was racially abused many times but he didnt complain on twitter.

And Drenthe is not even calling Messi is racist, he was just not happy with the tone.

Last edited:
@sunilvk7
I've read your post before editing and that's how easy it is to jump into assumptions about what one side declared and you state as fact/true.
There's 3 perspectives to this kind of arguments; the 2 parties involved and the truth.

Since the case v Messi no one have ever heard anything (I'm not saying it did or didn't happen, is speculation as it stands) is just a waste of time talking about it, but what I'm more interested about is Mahamadou Diarra's case; there's witnesses (Drenthe himself) and happened more than once, so I really would like to know what punishment was dished out by Real Madrid to Higuain and Heinze, but I don't think you will be surprised that nothing happened!!

Last edited:
**** that, if he said to it me, im going to be a little "late" with my next tackle.

To be fair you can be as late as you want to be, unless your Van Bommel or De Jong he will still beat you lol.

Easy to understand why Brazilians hate Uruguayans, Argentines, etc. when they take such a laid back approach to racism. In a dream world, an army of big, black men would attack these countries and beat some ****** sense into them.

Also, until evidence is provided, I refuse to buy into this 'Leo Messi = nice guy' ****.

So what I said in OP (before) was not sarcastic, it is fact/truth.

There's a difference between a nice guy image and 'can do no wrong'. John Terry, for example, doesn't have a nice guy image, but in the eyes of some Chelsea fans he can do no wrong. At the other end of the spectrum, Ryan Giggs has a nice guy image, but revelations about his private life not so long ago would seem to suggest that he can certainly do wrong.

Likewise, Messi has a nice guy image, but he can definitely do wrong.

**** stirring 101 by him or press? Thats why i asked why wait till now

We'll see. I imagine a bit of both, but Drenthe certainly strikes me as the type of person to **** stir. I know he threw a strop at Feyenoord and tried to take the club to court if they didn't let him go to Madrid, and I also know he got into trouble at Hercules and Madrid. Ajt mentioned something about him being a bad influence at Everton, too.

Edit: Why he said that now? We have no idea just like how Jason Roberts said he was racially abused many times but he didnt complain on twitter.

There's a massive difference. Jason Roberts didn't complain at all. He was asked a question in this case and answered it honestly. Royston Drenthe, on the other hand, specifically brought it up months out from the incident when he knew he had a platform with which to broadcast. Roberts used his experience to highlight why we need to continue to clamp down on racism. Drenthe just used his to try and get Messi in trouble.

Last edited:
Easy to understand why Brazilians hate Uruguayans, Argentines, etc. when they take such a laid back approach to racism. In a dream world, an army of big, black men would attack these countries and beat some ****** sense into them.

Also, until evidence is provided, I refuse to buy into this 'Leo Messi = nice guy' ****.

How do you possibly provide evidence? What do you want, Lionel Messi single handedly saving a group of orphans from a firestorm?

Also, violence to defeat racism is a very nice touch. After all, history has really shown that violent protest was proven to consistently change the minds of the other party involved. Nobody ever remembers peaceful protestors. They were all unsuccessful anyway.

How do you possibly provide evidence? What do you want, Lionel Messi single handedly saving a group of orphans from a firestorm?

Also, violence to defeat racism is a very nice touch. After all, history has really shown that violent protest was proven to consistently change the minds of the other party involved. Nobody ever remembers peaceful protestors. They were all unsuccessful anyway.

Interviews and a change in body language could help.

Also, violence defeats everything in a dream world.

There's a massive difference. Jason Roberts didn't complain at all. He was asked a question in this case and answered it honestly. Royston Drenthe, on the other hand, specifically brought it up months out from the incident when he knew he had a platform with which to broadcast. Roberts used his experience to highlight why we need to continue to clamp down on racism. Drenthe just used his to try and get Messi in trouble.

I have no idea whether Drenthe was asked the question or was asked about his opinion on Messi or whether he was racially abused in the game. It didn't look like he arranged press conference to have a go at Messi. It looked like a part of interview where he was asked about it.

So I dont buy this "Why is he bringing it up now?" "He is just **** stirring" and all that, It looked like just a part of interview where he was asked just like how Roberts was asked.

And He didn't ask officials to punish Messi or lodged any complain, he just shared his experience in one of his interview. And tbf to him he didn't even say he was offended by just Negro word, it was more to do with the tone Messi used (Which was mentioned in other translated interview).

Also what makes you feel Drenthe is using it just to put Messi in trouble? For all we know interviewer asked about Barca players behavious in clasico?

Last edited:
Don't know if it happened, but a few things make me suspect it isn't true, or if it is Drenthe has embellished it.

1) From a couple of quick educated guesses, the most games Drenthe could've played against Messi before the Hercules game was about three or so. Hardly playing against him 'a lot'.

2) If he understands that it is common in South America and that there was likely no malice in it, why is he worked up about it? Moreover, why is he worked up about it NOW, over a year out from the event in question? Smacks to me of attention-seeking.

3) Who says 'hello, negro' a 'few times'? Who even says 'hello' more than once when shaking hands briefly with an opposition footballer? Saying 'hello negro, hello negro, hello negro' doesn't make sense unless Messi's trying to wind him up, which I'm ruling out on the basis of Messi's well-earned nice guy image.
I don't know, I think it may be attention-seeking, but we can't know for sure. It think it's a bit unfair to say Royston Drenthe was lying/exaggerating, on the basis of you thinking that Lionel Messi has a nice guy image. Having said that, it's what you do to gain the reputations and they do count for a lot. I still think that the evidence is inconclusive on both sides.

​- PZW

I have no idea whether Drenthe was asked the question or was asked about his opinion on Messi or whether he was racially abused in the game. It didn't look like he arranged press conference to have a go at Messi. It looked like a part of interview where he was asked about it.

So what? Both of those options are bad. If he arranged a press conference specifically to have a go at Messi, then he's an attention-seeking ****, and if it were part of an interview in which he was asked about something to do with Messi, then the interviewer's a ****, but Drenthe's also a **** for forcing it into the conversation. From what I understand, the interview was about Royston Drenthe's house, which begs the questions 'why was he talking about Messi and racism in an interview about his house?'

So I dont buy this "Why is he bringing it up now?" "He is just **** stirring" and all that, It looked like just a part of interview where he was asked just like how Roberts was asked.

Jason Roberts did an interview specifically on racism. He didn't name anyone, and especially not active players, but he did highlight that racism needs to be cracked down on. Unlike Drenthe, who did an interview on... something, and then proceeded to name drop the best player in the world. Moreover, he didn't do it to bring attention to how racism needs to be driven out of the game, he did it to garner sympathy, drag Messi's name through the mud and most importantly get himself noticed.

The parallels to be drawn between the two interviews are very thin indeed.

And He didn't ask officials to punish Messi or lodged any complain, he just shared his experience in one of his interview. And tbf to him he didn't even say he was offended by just Negro word, it was more to do with the tone Messi used (Which was mentioned in other translated interview).

You know as well as both I and Drenthe that saying something like this not only in public but in the printed press will inevitably lead to investigations. Frankly, if he'd lodged a complaint at the time I'd have a lot more respect for him, since that's the correct thing to do. Then, it goes through the proper channels and gets properly investigated. As a side note, this raises the not-inconsiderable question of why the **** he didn't complain about it in the first place.

Also what makes you feel Drenthe is using it just to put Messi in trouble? For all we know interviewer asked about Barca players behavious in clasico?

Partly because Drenthe is a known troublemaker with a poor attitude and a penchant for attention-seeking. Partly because Messi's the best player in the world, and is thus the biggest target of attention, and therefore is the easiest way to gain attention. But mostly because of the whole pile of other things that don't add up: the lack of games he's played against Messi, though he claims to the contrary, the amount of time that has passed since the occurrence, the fact that he's never complained about this before, and moreover not through the correct channels and but a few.

I don't know, I think it may be attention-seeking, but we can't know for sure. It think it's a bit unfair to say Royston Drenthe was lying/exaggerating, on the basis of you thinking that Lionel Messi has a nice guy image. Having said that, it's what you do to gain the reputations and they do count for a lot. I still think that the evidence is inconclusive on both sides.

​- PZW

Don't know if it happened, but a few things make me suspect it isn't true, or if it is Drenthe has embellished it.

Try reading my post. At no point did I say that I was 'sure' Drenthe was lying or exaggerating, nor did I solely claim that his complaints were null just on the basis of Messi's image.

I dont see how Drenthe giving his opinion on what happened on the field is anyway make him ****. If anything if what he said was true then there is only one **** among the 2.

Like I said we have no idea about what question was asked but this quotes sums it up, the way people see this incident/interview.

Partly because Drenthe is a known troublemaker with a poor attitude and a penchant for attention-seeking. Partly because Messi's the best player in the world, and is thus the biggest target of attention, and therefore is the easiest way to gain attention.

he did it to garner sympathy, drag Messi's name through the mud and most importantly get himself noticed.

Messi is Mr nice guy so obviously it is Drenthe's fault that Messi offended him. (If what Drenthe said was true). It doesn't matter what question was asked he shouldn't give his opinion even when he was the one who was abused as it happened year ago and player in question is Mr Nice guy (Even though he spat at opponents quite a few times).

He didn't bring this long time back for the same reason Roberts said in his interview. People were afraid to report it as they feared they might be targeted.

People are way to quick to defend Mr Nice guy and what I said in my OP was spot on. Drenthe will be branded as liar by many (Even though he is not branded as liar, he was as attention seeking **** for saying what happened when he played Barca).

Well let me conclude this then, it is not Messi's mistake to call Negro in offending tone, but it is Drenthe's fault for saying that after a year.

So what? Both of those options are bad. If he arranged a press conference specifically to have a go at Messi, then he's an attention-seeking ****, and if it were part of an interview in which he was asked about something to do with Messi, then the interviewer's a ****, but Drenthe's also a **** for forcing it into the conversation. From what I understand, the interview was about Royston Drenthe's house, which begs the questions 'why was he talking about Messi and racism in an interview about his house?'

Like I said we dont know what he was asked about and just because it was interview about his house doesn't mean he wont be asked about on the field incidents, after all there was a small fight when he played against Barca. How about calling Messi is a double faced **** who acts like a saint but much worse in reality? He is Mr Nice guy because he never gets negative press even when he spat at opponent players.

Jason Roberts did an interview specifically on racism. He didn't name anyone, and especially not active players, but he did highlight that racism needs to be cracked down on. Unlike Drenthe, who did an interview on... something, and then proceeded to name drop the best player in the world. Moreover, he didn't do it to bring attention to how racism needs to be driven out of the game, he did it to garner sympathy, drag Messi's name through the mud and most importantly get himself noticed.

The parallels to be drawn between the two interviews are very thin indeed.

I was not talking about his interview, I was about his twitter where he said he was abused many times but played were afraid to report.

You know as well as both I and Drenthe that saying something like this not only in public but in the printed press will inevitably lead to investigations. Frankly, if he'd lodged a complaint at the time I'd have a lot more respect for him, since that's the correct thing to do. Then, it goes through the proper channels and gets properly investigated. As a side note, this raises the not-inconsiderable question of why the **** he didn't complain about it in the first place.

If it is investigated then even better. For the 100th time, like Roberts said players were afraid to report as they might get all the negative attention just like how Evra got.

Partly because Drenthe is a known troublemaker with a poor attitude and a penchant for attention-seeking. Partly because Messi's the best player in the world, and is thus the biggest target of attention, and therefore is the easiest way to gain attention. But mostly because of the whole pile of other things that don't add up: the lack of games he's played against Messi, though he claims to the contrary, the amount of time that has passed since the occurrence, the fact that he's never complained about this before, and moreover not through the correct channels and but a few.

Drenthe has bad reputation, Messi is Mr Nice guy so what? Drenthe is saying what happened on the field to which we dont have access, he is saying what Messi is on the pitch rather than just going with typical what a great person he is.

So it is Drenthe's mistake for not following proper channel but not Messi's who has no right to offend Drenthe?

There are 1312312123123 players who haven't reported for the very reason Robert's mentioned. It is just that Drenthe might have answered just casually on what happened on the pitch which IMO he has every right to. If he was lying then Messi has every right to sue him.

I dont see how Drenthe giving his opinion on what happened on the field is anyway make him ****. If anything if what he said was true then there is only one **** among the 2.

Like I said we have no idea about what question was asked but this quotes sums it up, the way people see this incident/interview.

Messi is Mr nice guy so obviously it is Drenthe's fault that Messi offended him. (If what Drenthe said was true). It doesn't matter what question was asked he shouldn't give his opinion even when he was the one who was abused as it happened year ago and player in question is Mr Nice guy (Even though he spat at opponents quite a few times).

He didn't bring this long time back for the same reason Roberts said in his interview. People were afraid to report it as they feared they might be targeted.

People are way to quick to defend Mr Nice guy and what I said in my OP was spot on. Drenthe will be branded as liar by many (Even though he is not branded as liar, he was as attention seeking **** for saying what happened when he played Barca).

Well let me conclude this then, it is not Messi's mistake to call Negro in offending tone, but it is Drenthe's fault for saying that after a year.

The whole argument has really just gone over your head, hasn't it? It has been over a year since Drenthe could have possibly played Messi, where any retrievable evidence from witnesses has long been forgotten, he name drops Messi in an interview that had nothing to do with Messi or even football. Those factors plus their respective reputations mean people probabilistically side with Messi.

It's YOU who has decided Messi can do no wrong, and you read everything in that context. No one has said it or claimed it from what I quickly skimmed. Everyone else compiled rational arguments against Drenthe, your counter consists of 'You all love Messi, you're wrong'.

Like I said we dont know what he was asked about and just because it was interview about his house doesn't mean he wont be asked about on the field incidents, after all there was a small fight when he played against Barca. How about calling Messi is a double faced **** who acts like a saint but much worse in reality? He is Mr Nice guy because he never gets negative press even when he spat at opponent players.

I was not talking about his interview, I was about his twitter where he said he was abused many times but played were afraid to report.

If it is investigated then even better. For the 100th time, like Roberts said players were afraid to report as they might get all the negative attention just like how Evra got.

Drenthe has bad reputation, Messi is Mr Nice guy so what? Drenthe is saying what happened on the field to which we dont have access, he is saying what Messi is on the pitch rather than just going with typical what a great person he is.

So it is Drenthe's mistake for not following proper channel but not Messi's who has no right to offend Drenthe?

There are 1312312123123 players who haven't reported for the very reason Robert's mentioned. It is just that Drenthe might have answered just casually on what happened on the pitch which IMO he has every right to. If he was lying then Messi has every right to sue him.

You have totally missed the argument, in every sense of the word. Not only that, you have approached it with an obvious bias.

I've just explained why. It isn't what Drenthe's saying that's the problem here, it's the context and timing.

Well, evidently you're very set on this 'Messi isn't a nice guy!!!' agenda.

Those things you quoted don't mention Messi's perceived niceness at all. They just mention the well-documented opinion that Drenthe is a ****. Yet you specifically bring up Messi and his 'nice guy' image. All I said in those two (not directly related and cherry-picked, by the way) quotes was that Drenthe is known to be a troublemaker (true) and that Messi, being the best player in the world, is a conductor for attention like no other (true) and that I reckon on the balance of things, this looks to me like cries for attention from someone who wants it.

Nobody's basing their counter argument wholly around Messi's nice guy image, as you seem to claim, it's just a minor detail. If you like, we can totally ignore it, and still have a totally credible argument against Drenthe.

Except now, by revealing it in an interview, he might still be targeted, just without the benefit of having an official investigation to attempt to eradicate the source of it.

Yeah, I'm quick to defend Messi because Drenthe's an **** and it seems exactly the kind of thing he'd do. Moreover, none of this quite adds up, and there are many things that would seem to support Messi whereas only the word of a known troublemaker against Messi.

I don't know quite how you came up with that. A masterclass in logical fallacy and circular reasoning.

The whole argument has really just gone over your head, hasn't it?

No.

It has been over a year since Drenthe could have possibly played Messi, where any retrievable evidence from witnesses has long been forgotten, he name drops Messi in an interview that had nothing to do with Messi or even football. Those factors plus their respective reputations mean people probabilistically side with Messi.

You haven't read properly then, there are several reasons for not reporting and he is not even reporting it now. Probably he was asked about something to bring this. It would make him look like an idiot to bring Messi's name without interviewer not asking anything about it.

It's YOU who has decided Messi can do no wrong, and you read everything in that context. No one has said it or claimed it from what I quickly skimmed. Everyone else compiled rational arguments against Drenthe, your counter consists of 'You all love Messi, you're wrong'.

You skimmed and missed few important points then. GC was talking about reputation and all.

And where did I say "YOu all love Messi, you're wrong"? Anyways you said you haven't read the posts, so please find one.

I've just explained why. It isn't what Drenthe's saying that's the problem here, it's the context and timing.

Well, evidently you're very set on this 'Messi isn't a nice guy!!!' agenda.

Those things you quoted don't mention Messi's perceived niceness at all. They just mention the well-documented opinion that Drenthe is a ****. Yet you specifically bring up Messi and his 'nice guy' image. All I said in those two (not directly related and cherry-picked, by the way) quotes was that Drenthe is known to be a troublemaker (true) and that Messi, being the best player in the world, is a conductor for attention like no other (true) and that I reckon on the balance of things, this looks to me like cries for attention from someone who wants it.

Nobody's basing their counter argument wholly around Messi's nice guy image, as you seem to claim, it's just a minor detail. If you like, we can totally ignore it, and still have a totally credible argument against Drenthe.

Except now, by revealing it in an interview, he might still be targeted, just without the benefit of having an official investigation to attempt to eradicate the source of it.

Yeah, I'm quick to defend Messi because Drenthe's an **** and it seems exactly the kind of thing he'd do. Moreover, none of this quite adds up, and there are many things that would seem to support Messi whereas only the word of a known troublemaker against Messi.

I don't know quite how you came up with that. A masterclass in logical fallacy and circular reasoning.

So you are saying Drenthe is a liar? as you said Drenthe is just looking for attention and nothing more.

I have said many times we have no idea what he was asked. If he was asked about some incident (Like incident when was with Hercules) then he might have said this casually about what happened on that day without having a go at Messi?

I have seen many people just letting go of many incidents but bring it up when someone asks about it in some interviews. I dont see it as attention seeking, I see it as they are not arsed with lodging official complain and live with all the **** that comes with it.

Edit: I'm not Messi is not nice guy agenda, as I believe he is one of the nice guys in the game. It is just that people take it too far like how you did by having a go at Drenthe as attention seeker as it was against Messi. I do believe Messi is a nice guy who made many mistakes on the field by disrespecting opponents.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.