Love this story mate, your a brilliant writer!!

Cheers mate, really appreciate your comment. Even though I've done a few other stories and due to different circumstances I never got round to finishing them, so I've had a good bit of practise on how to make them interesting, so people enjoy reading it, so I'm making sure this story will keep going. Hope you will keep following. :D

images

Friday came around very quickly and despite not getting much sleep due to a mixture of nerves and excitement, I was surprisingly wide awake considering I was due to meet the Dorchester Town board in just over an hours time.
After breakfast we packed up our bags and loaded the car up and made our way along the A354 towards the town of Dorchester and their football teams home ground, the Avenue Stadium.

The Avenue Stadium was built in 1990 and cost around 3 million pounds to build. The stadium was designed and is owned by the the Duchy of Cornwall. The stadium consists of one all-seated main stand and three small banks of terracing surrounding the playing surface and has a capacity of 5,009.
On the pitch, Dorchester Town currently play in the Blue Square South and have been present in the league for the past seven years and this is the highest standard they have played since they were founded in 1880. Despite wining a few non-league division titles and the Dorset Senior Cup an impressive 12 times, they currently do not have any domestic league or cup honours.

We pulled up in the Tesco car park which is situated at the back of the ground and after Louise, my Mum and Dad wished me luck, I went off to meet Shaun Hearn, chairman of the football club and the other three went off to Tesco to get a few bits for dinner that evening.
I walked through the main entrance and after letting reception know I was here, I was asked to take a seat and wait for Mr Hearn. A few minutes passed and finally Mr Hearn came over to meet me and we made our way to the board room to begin talks about my potential next career move.

Shaun Hearn: "Thank you for coming Andy, please take a seat. I was in attendance last weekend at the Academy tournamnet and was blown away with the style of play you got your Academy team playing and they were by far worthy winners. I've also been impressed by the ethos and discipline you have introduced at Romsey Town and I'm delighted your chairman has given permission for us to talk today. Taking Dorchester Town's recent mediocre performances in the Blue Square South, myself and the other board members feel it's time to make radical changes to our management team. And having been hugely impressed by yourself, we would like to offer you the chance to become our new First Team Manager!"

Me: "Firstly thank you for expressing an interest in my work. I would be delighted to accept the offer of becoming Dorchester Town's new Manager. Will I be able to bring in my own players and staff?"

Shaun Hearn: "Well as I'm sure you know, we aren't in the greatest of financial states, but we can create some money for wages to be spent on free transers and loan deals. With regards to non-playing staff, we will leave the decisions to you, if you want to bring in any new faces though, we recommend that you release any of the current staff you feel aren't of the required standard."

Me: "That's fine. I'm really looking forward to starting work on what is definately the biggest challenge of my life to date, but one that I'm confident will be a success."

Shaun Hearn: "Great, we will get the contract out to you over the weekend and then present you to the local press on Monday morning here at the stadium."

I made my way out of the stadium and met up with Louise and my Mum and Dad, who were waiting for me back at the car. After spending the rest of the journey home listening to me re-creating the whole interview, my family were delighted with the prospect of me starting my managerial career with Dorchester Town and finally putting into practice all the tactics and knowledge I've bored them with over the past 20 years and Louise over the last few years since we met.

41469.png

MAGPIES APPOINT UNKNOWN

images

Blue SquareSouth side Dorchester Town have today appointed unknown 31 year old Andy Samuels as their new manager. Samuels who has no managerial experience at any level has signed a two year deal worth a reported £325 p/w. Dorchester Chairman Shaun Hearn has hailed the appointment as the start of a new era at the club. "Andy has worked wonders at grassroot level and we feel with the new philosophy and ethos he will intoduce to our young squad, it will be the start of something exciting at this club." stated Hearn.
Samuels will be officially unveiled on Monday morning to the local press.

I made myway through the small crowd of waiting press and went straight to the board room where I would be officially introduced to the waiting press. After the stadium staff had finished setting up for the media, Mr Hearn shook my hand and headed into the room to address the local press and get the conference underway.

Shaun Hearn: "Good Morning everyone and thank you for being here. I would like to introduce our new manager Andy Samuels."

Reporter: "Andy, you have been appointed at a time when Dorchester haven't had the best of times in the Blue Square South. What are you aims for the coming season?"

Me: "Well I wanted to get as high as possible in the league. Of course there are a lot of good clubs in the league and it will be difficult, but if I can bring in a couple of experienced players then maybe we can surprise a few people."

Reporter: "You have come from grassroot club Romsey Town, where you have re-structured the club. Are you looking to bring those methods to Dorchester Town?"

Me: "Yes. I'm looking to change the style of play and bring in a couple of new ideas that hopefully will benefit the club on and off the pitch."

Reporter: "You have an extremely young squad, do you think they are ready to play at this level?"

Me: "Of course it is a slight worry, especially as some of the first team squad are very inexperienced at this level, but everyone will get a chance to impress and if I can bring in a couple of players to strengthen the squad then I feel it will help the young players develop."

Shaun Hearn: "That's all we have time for Ladies and Gentleman. Andy will now pose for photographs and then he will meet the players for the first time."

With the press conference over with, it was time to meet the players, who were just starting their first training session, since I was appointed. So I left my Assistant Manager Phil Simkin to take the session, to allow me to run the rule over the players and see what I had to work with this season.
The morning session was only an hour long, as I had arranged a behind closed doors friendly against the reserves in the afternoon to see how the players looked in a game situation. We ran out comfortable 4 - 1 winners against our second string squad, with goals coming from our young exciting striker Seb Broomfield(2), left winger Elliot Bevis and Rico Wilson.
The game was of great benefit to me as I started to get a good idea of who would be part of my squad going into the new season and who would be placed on the transfer list.
I had inherited a squad which was made up of part time players and quite a few players who were on non contract terms, so after the friendly game I called those players in and explained to them I didn't see them fitting into my plans this season and would be releasing them. As we weren't paying them a wage, we didn't have to pay a fee to release them and with them off the squad list it would create more space for any new potential signings.

PLAYERS IN

GREG HARTLEY - FREE

A new Goalkeeper was as position we definately needed to address, after seeing the game against our reserves. Greg, who was released by Man City, will play an important part this season despite his young age.

RAY PUTTERILL - FREE

We beat numerous clubs for the signing of Ray, including a couple of football league sides. This signing is a huge coup for us and will excite the fans with Ray's flair and creativity down the left and I'm sure Ray will play a huge part in any success we achieve this season.

TOMMY TEJAN-SIE

Again another transfer coup for us, with another player joining with league experience. Tommy will provide us with valuable experience in the middle of midfield and will be a great influence on the younger players in the squad.

I was really pleased that I managed to bring in the new players before we began our pre-season, as this would allow them to be available in all the friendlies and trainings, so it would allow me to introduce my new playing philosophy to them and the rest of the squad right from the start of pre season.

FRIENDLY
Dorchester 1 - 3 Bournemouth
Avenue Stadium. Att: 940

This wasmy first chance to see the new players in action and to introduce the new 433 formation I'm introducing this season. Despite a heavy defeat, we played very well and there were some very encouraging signs. Alex Moth opened the scoring for Bournemouth with fifteen minutes left and Gary Bowles doubled the lead shortly after. Mark Moseley added a third before Seb Broomfield scored our consolation in the last couple of minutes.

FRIENDLY
Millwall 0 - 0 Dorchester
The New Den. Att: 3,727

A very encouraging performance as we held our own against Championship opposition. Both sides had a few chances to open the scoring, but neither could find the elusive break through.

FRIENDLY
Dorchester 2 - 1 Dundee
Avenue Stadium. Att: 374

We secured our first win of pre season with another fantastic performance as the team a getting more and more used to the new formation and playing style I've introduced. Nick Crittenden and new signing Ray Putterill grabbed our goals and both were created by fine passing moves. Lee Laird pulled a goal back for the visitors, but we hung on for the win.

FRIENDLY
Wealdstone 3 - 1 Dorchester
Grovesnor Vale. Att: 117

This game was played two days after the Dundee game, so with our first league game in a weeks time, I felt it right to rest my key players and play most of my back up players. It was a very poor performance and despite us taking the lead through Rico Wilson, goals from Rhys Lawson(2) and John Hankin resigned us to a disappointing loss.

Brilliant! Continuing to do great with this story.

If you wanted to check my story 'Destination: The Top'. It's nothing to this story of yours but I do try ;)

Looking good! Good luck at Dorchester.

Thanks buddy, feel this will be my biggest task on FM. Squad is prob weakest and most inexperienced I've ever had, but looking forward to seeing where it takes me. :D

41469.png

MAGPIES LAND ADAM

images

Dorchester Town have beaten off competition from Forest Green Rovers and Mansfield Town to sign 20 year old Irish striker Jamil Adam on a free transfer. Dorchester boss Andy Samuels has been on the look out for another striker to help ease the pressure off young forward Seb Broomfield and he'll hope Jamil fits the bill and scores the goals to keep Dorchester away from the relegation zone.

After completing the signing of Jamil Adam, I was able to spend the rest of the week focusing on our first league game of the season and with a very good idea of my starting eleven, I spent time working on set pieces and also kept working on the new formation I've introduced to the squad in the hope of bringing more success to the club than what they've had in the past few seasons.

Blue-Square-South.jpg

Thurrock 1 - 1 Dorchester
Ship Lane. Att: 355

It took us a while to settle into our rhythm and that showed early on, as we spurned numerous good chances. Just before half time we found ourselves behind, when Aaron Dillon stabbed home from close range and good work by the Thurrock left winger. We started off the second half still on top and were rewarded with an equaliser scored by Seb Broomfield after some excellent approach play by Nick Crittenden and Jamie Symes. Despite our dominance we couldn't find a winner and had to settle for the draw.

Blue-Square-South.jpg

Dorchester 3 - 1 Weston Super-Mare
Avenue Stadium. Att: 430

I kept with the same side that played so well against Thurrock, and though new signing Jamil Adam was fit to play, he had to settle for a place on the bench. Ray Putterill opened the scoring with a well placed shot after he cut in from the left. We doubled our lead just after the break when Tommy Tejan-Sie broke the offside trap and slotted the ball home for his first goal for the club. Dayle Grubb pulled a goal back for the visitors after a mistake by Greg Hartley, who failed to hold a through ball. Sub Rico Wilson secured the three points when he rifled home from a tight angle.

Blue-Square-South.jpg

Chelmsford 1 - 2 Dorchester
Chelmsford Sport & Athletics Stadium. Att: 1,090

A brilliant away win as we carried on our unbeaten run. Debutant Jamil Adam opened the scoring when he finished well latching onto a great through ball by Jamie Symes. Ray Putterill scored our second five minutes into the second half as we extended our lead. A minute after the re-start Cliff Akurang scored to halve the deficit and ensure the last third of the game was very tense for myself and our supporters, but we held on thanks to some excellent defending.

Blue-Square-South.jpg

Dorchester 1 - 4 Boreham Wood
Avenue Stadium. Att: 543

A shocking display in front of our home fans and one I'm hoping I don't witness again. We were one down after 31 minutes, when a Luke Wilkinson effort went in off the post. Still trailing by a goal at half time, we started the second much brighter and deservedly equalised through a Ray Putterill goal. We found ourselves behind again five minutes later though, when a Matt Taylor strike sent the away support delirious. Just after the re-start we were presented with a great opportunity to level the scores, but Nick Crittenden saw his penalty come back off the post. That miss seemed to affect the rest of the lads and spur Boreham Wood on, as goals by Matt Taylor and Luke Garrad sent us to a heavy first defeat.

41469.png

DORCHESTER SIGN DEFENDER

_46683960_joe_o'cearuill2_getty.jpg

Following on from their heavy defeat against Boreham Wood, Dorchester Town manager Andy Samuels has reacted by signing centre back Joe O'Cearuill from Tooting and Mitcham on a free transfer. The ex Arsenal trainee has signed a two year deal and joins the Dorchester squad immediately. "This is a great signing for the club and Joe will become a very important player during his time here." Manager Andy Samuels said on the club's official website.

Blue-Square-South.jpg

Havant & Waterlooville 2 - 2 Dorchester
Westleigh Park. Att: 1,052

Before the start of the game I wouldv'e taken a point, but throwing away a two goal lead was not something I enjoy and for the second game running I was less than impressed with our defending. We got off to a flying start and were two nil up inside the opening 15 minutes with goals from Nick Crittenden and Ray Putterill. Even though we created more chances we were unable to add to our tally as the half time whistle went. Early in the second half and the hosts were reduced to 10 men as Sam Pearce was sent off for two bookable offences. I was now thinking about resting a couple of key players, but that soon changed as a Chris Arthur penalty halved the deficit. Even though we had the extra player, we were finding it difficult to get hold of the ball and just when I thought we had held on, Bobby Hopkinson broke free and coolly lobbed Greg Hartley, who came out to narrow the angle, and the ball went into the back of the net to draw the home side level late in the game.

Blue-Square-South.jpg

Dorchester 3 - 1 Maidenhead
Avenue Stadium. Att: 418

A pleasing reponse infront of our home fans and the win stopped the mini slump we had been on. Midfielder Jamie Symes opened the scoring on the stroke of half time with a well placed header and Jamil Adam doubled the lead after 49 minutes. Another goalkeeping error by Greg Hartley allowed Leigh Henry to grab a late consolation for the visitors, but that wasn't the last goal of the game as Jamie Symes helped himself to his second with a quality left footed strike into the corner of the net to secure a well earned 3 points.

August '11 Review - Overall I'm very happy with the start I've made, especially the football we have played and the dominance in all the games we have created is particularly pleasing. Obviously the loss against Boreham Wood is something I can't easily forget about, but I'm sure a result like that won't happen again anytime soon.

Last edited:
Blue-Square-South.jpg

Tonbridge 1 - 1 Dorchester
Longmead Stadium. Att: 433

We took an early lead thanks to a good finish by inform midfielder Jamie Symes inside the opening minute and our dominance continued for the rest of the half despite us not being able to add to our goal tally. Our fluent forward play was dealt a big blow as we lost Ray Putterill to injury, this set back allowed the hosts to get more into the game and they equalised through a goal by Frannie Collin with 20 minutes left on the clock.

After the Tonbridge game I received a call from the clubs physio informing me that new signing Ray Putterill had suffered a fractured arm and would be out for four to five weeks. Injuries are one thing that I'm hoping to avoid as my squad is very small and doesn't have enough quality to replace players like for like.
With Ray Putterill's injury it will mean a long think about whether I play teenager Eliot Bevis out on the left or do I switch formation from my trusted 433 and go to 442 with a slight change in personnel in a couple of positions.

Blue-Square-South.jpg

Bromley 0 - 2 Dorchester
Hayes Lane. Att: 471

I decided to go with a 442 formation switching Tommy Tejan-Sie to left wing and bringing Seb Broomfield in as the second striker. The move paid off as we put in a convincing performance and won comfortably thanks to goals by Jamil Adam and Nick Crittenden.

Blue-Square-South.jpg

Dorchester 1 - 0 Basingstoke
Avenue Stadium. Att: 542

Another win and another fine performance although the scoreline suggests it was much closer than it actually was. We had to wait until the last 8 minutes of the game to score the decisive goal which came from Tommy Tejan-Sie, who finished calmly under pressure.

Blue-Square-South.jpg

Dorchester 2 - 1 Staines
Avenue Stadium. Att: 454

Our fine run continued as two Jamil Adam goals secured a hard earned win. Both goals put us firmly in the box seat and with 20 minutes remaining I decided to make some changes giving a couple of fringe players some game time, in the hope they would be able to make the step up, but I was proved wrong as Howard Newton scored just after the substitutions and made it a nervy last quarter of the game for myself and the fans.

Blue-Square-South.jpg

Eastleigh 1 - 3 Dorchester
Silverlake Stadium. Att: 424

The first derby of the season and I couldn't of wished for a better result. We went one up thanks to Joe O'Cearuill's first goal for the club, after he headed home a Nick crittenden free kick. With Eastleigh's only shot of the game they equalised through Jamie Brown to level the scores with 30 minutes remaining. The hero was Tommy Tejan-Sie who scored two in the space of four minutes to seal a fantastic victory and send our fans home jubilant.

September '11 Review - A brilliant month as we remained unbeaten with four wins and a draw.