XeNoNF50

Reaction score
I've been working on something experimental. I know this may be weird but it was inspired by watching Barcelona trash Osasuna 8-0 last night. I was watching intently and saw that there was no real formation to it apart from the wide men were hugging the touchlines, Dani Alves was very advanced all game and they only played 1 centre back with Mascherano dropping back from a DM position to become the other centre back when they didn't have the ball. Only position I could not incorporate was the fact that Fabregas was playing as a very advanced attacking centre mid but I had to accommodate Pedro and he was playing advanced on the right side of att mid v Man Utd in the CL final, So here is what I came up with. The formation is as follows:

fcbarcelonabarcelonatac.png

It has strangely been very good so far. I've played 10 games in the season with Barcelona and I haven't conceded a single goal yet playing with only 1 centre back and 1 left back. Crazy right?

These are the scores I've been getting since editting the instructions to find the desired effect. Obviously as it is unchartered territory for me I've been tweaking the tactic game on game though I think that I have finally found a very nice balance in the 10th game.

The scores so far. Sevilla 4-0 2-0, Racing 3-0, Hercules 3-0, Panathinaikos 2-0, At Madrid 2-0, Sporting 2-0, Athletic 1-0, Marseille 0-0 (that game went bad after I edited a lot. I suppose I was lucky to even get 0-0.) and Mallorca 2-0 where I believe I may have found the right balance. Now time to see if it gives me the consistency I want.

barcelonavmallorcastats.png

barcelonavmallorcastats.png

As you can see total domination with this unorthodox formation. A formation I cannot even begin to give a name because the players are just all over the place. Good amount of passes with the tactic. Busquets was playing in Xavi's position since Iniesta is injured and Xavi in Iniesta's position for that game. If Xavi was playing in his maybe he would have got more than 70 passes. Great completion. Great possession. Great CCC's. I couldn't have really asked for more from the game. Unlucky not to finish all of the CCC's but their goalkeeper finished the game with a rating of 9.0 even though they lost 2-0 and got man of the match!

Anyway I'll try to keep you posted on how the tactic is working. If it is consistent enough, it may be good enough to post up and publish.

Last edited:
can i test it for you?i am playing with Newcastle United first season.i have players like....Hildenbrand,Beck,Dante,Taylor,Cahill,Hinkel,Javi Garcia,Badelj,Tiote,Dzagoev,Ben Arfa,Kadlec,Neymar,Trezeguet,Conca,Quintero,Ba

Last edited:
yeh can i also test it? just started my Blackburn save (11 games in) and see how this tactic works for mid-table teams?

Next game:

barcelonavvalenciastats.png

Total domination vs Valencia. ! And great amount of passes too.

I don't particularly want to post the tactic up yet. I need to make sure that it is consistent. Just as with all of my other tactics, I only post them up if I can ensure it's quality across the range of a lot of teams and so I prefer to do the testing all by myself. It also means that if I post it and it doesn't really work it's because I haven't ensured that it does then maybe some people will complain. It's just the way I've always done it.

ok,i want only for my use,i dont upload it nowhere...if you send this tactic on my pm i get you feedback every hour.but i understand you.looks very very good this experiment :)

Looks weird but cool. Maybe I could try it with Swansea next season. I am doing a tactic of my own right now with them so will give it a go next season.

clearly some people can't read, looks great Xenon can't wait till you release it (if you do, that is) :)

Very interesting formation and it would be good fun to see what other teams could come close to playing a formation like this other than Barcelona with default squads...

Keep up the work Xenon, I'll be sure to give it a go when it is released

I left my laptop on for a while and came back to it and my fm crashed so I lost the game save with the Valencia game. Anyway I played them again and here's what I came up with:

barcelonavvalenciaysisy.png

The reason for Dani Alves being so high up the pitch might be that he was playing as a winger... Adriano was the right back. So it was more or less their "basic" formation, Dani Alves playing as a winger istead of Pedro, Adriano as a right back, Mascherano as a CB, and going forward to support the midfield as usual when playing as a CB.

The reason for Dani Alves being so high up the pitch might be that he was playing as a winger... Adriano was the right back. So it was more or less their "basic" formation, Dani Alves playing as a winger istead of Pedro, Adriano as a right back, Mascherano as a CB, and going forward to support the midfield as usual when playing as a CB.

That was once the substitutions were made. Dani Alves' role never changed during the match. Masch dropped into cb and Puyol started as cb with abidal as lb when the match started. Busquets sat in his usual position in DM with Xavi and Thiago in front of him. Villa played through the left with Messi (doing what he wants) and Fab down the centre but I've already explained why I couldn't accommodate another AMC. It also slightly changes the way the other players play if I put another player in AMC which doesn't seem too good.

hey Xenon, looks super funky and effective for Barca :)

I am working on a possession tactic of mine (not replicating Barca) but just posssesion as passes and then CCC's.

with Barca I was having fantastic results and 73% possession vs Real Madrid in the Cup Final..

I have recently tried the same tactic (going to edit it and tweak it) with Atletico and have managed to only get half the amount of passess I got with Barca when creating the base tactic, still winning and similar possession but Barca are by far the best/easiest team to get passes and possession with :) I would love to see this or another one using a little weaker team :)

looks like a very unique setup but I am certain it will only work with Barca :)

hey Xenon, looks super funky and effective for Barca :)

I am working on a possession tactic of mine (not replicating Barca) but just posssesion as passes and then CCC's.

with Barca I was having fantastic results and 73% possession vs Real Madrid in the Cup Final..

I have recently tried the same tactic (going to edit it and tweak it) with Atletico and have managed to only get half the amount of passess I got with Barca when creating the base tactic, still winning and similar possession but Barca are by far the best/easiest team to get passes and possession with :) I would love to see this or another one using a little weaker team :)

looks like a very unique setup but I am certain it will only work with Barca :)

Maybe so. I'd expect it to drop anyway. Just thought I'd create an unorthodox tactic and Barcelona have that kind of unorthodox shape. Started with just the formation and thought, lets see if I can make something of it. Didn't really intend the passes, possession etc but it just happened when I put in player instructions and team instructions.

Anyway played a game with Arsenal v Man Utd. Here is what happened:

arsenalvmanutdstatshome.png

Seems that you were right about the passes, but that was expected! Denilson has passing of just 14 and Song 13 etc as opposed to Xavi and Iniesta's 20!

still a good result though :) its strange how it does cut the passes down by half though..

do you play narrow and through the middle and ask the players to hold up the ball? what team instructions do you use? do you make one player your playmaker and target man - ball to feet to encourage more possession for him resulting in more passes per game as well?