still a good result though :) its strange how it does cut the passes down by half though..

do you play narrow and through the middle and ask the players to hold up the ball? what team instructions do you use? do you make one player your playmaker and target man - ball to feet to encourage more possession for him resulting in more passes per game as well?

Everyone except my AMC and DC have hold up ball. The width is pretty normal. Tempo normal , well slightly below and rarely time wasting. Defensive line pushed up and passing through middle. No playmaker and no target man though I have to feet ticked just in case it makes a difference.

awesome ;) I have been brainstorming a new formation/tactic as well! not going to use the Classic settings as I feel it is better with the current system! it is a very different formation for me normally (not as strange as this one though :p) but different!

going to try and work on it this evening after football with Barca then Atletico then Montpellier and Schalke :)

keep up the good work bud :)

awesome ;) I have been brainstorming a new formation/tactic as well! not going to use the Classic settings as I feel it is better with the current system! it is a very different formation for me normally (not as strange as this one though :p) but different!

going to try and work on it this evening after football with Barca then Atletico then Montpellier and Schalke :)

keep up the good work bud :)

thanks mate, you too

I am busy with a Barcalona/Manchester United style tactic, mixture of possession, deadly/swift counters, good 1 touch football and quite a few CCC's, averaging about 5 per game at the moment! possession around 56-64% each game.

Its hard to merge the two as it is possession vs allowing teams to come on to you then counter attack :) two completely different styles but so far coming together nicely.. I have it set pretty well to the Barca style of closing down where as soon as they lose possession there are at least 2-3 players rushing the player with possession who either will kick it out of play, hoof it upfield to give me back possession or get tackled and lose possession and sometimes get the pass away in the nick of time..

Will hopefully be up by Thursday, still messing around with it :) its a 4-3-3 Amc tactic.

I am busy with a Barcalona/Manchester United style tactic, mixture of possession, deadly/swift counters, good 1 touch football and quite a few CCC's, averaging about 5 per game at the moment! possession around 56-64% each game.

Its hard to merge the two as it is possession vs allowing teams to come on to you then counter attack :) two completely different styles but so far coming together nicely.. I have it set pretty well to the Barca style of closing down where as soon as they lose possession there are at least 2-3 players rushing the player with possession who either will kick it out of play, hoof it upfield to give me back possession or get tackled and lose possession and sometimes get the pass away in the nick of time..

Will hopefully be up by Thursday, still messing around with it :) its a 4-3-3 Amc tactic.

Oh nice! Looking forward to it. I've never really been able to come up with a proper effective AMC position player instruction which is a shame really. It's the bane of my life haha

Im currently working on a ''Swanselona style of play'' tactic, which is kinda ''Cheap man's Barca '' in some terms. Looking pretty good, my ''Xavi'' Leon Britton is the DLP with Support and he really dictates the game like Xavi does, the movement etc and he gets way moar passes than rest of the team, meaning hes the center of things. Its a 4-3-3 tactic and Britton gets 70ish passes, rest of the midfielders near 50ish - 40ish. Attackers get 30ish - 40ish and Defenders vary, DC's get 50ish and Full backs get sometimes over 40ish - 50ish...

Ish ish :D But anyway, something Ive always failed to do is the Barca pressing. Never have done it properly, but always Ive managed to somehow emulate it. Can ya share ur tricks of the trade how U do it Raikan? Would be helpful for my Swansea team.

Also I need to improve finishing, could have won Sunderland but lost 1 - 0 in a tight game what I controlled. Also played 2 - 2 draw vs Man City with 61% Possession :)

Im currently working on a ''Swanselona style of play'' tactic, which is kinda ''Cheap man's Barca '' in some terms. Looking pretty good, my ''Xavi'' Leon Britton is the DLP with Support and he really dictates the game like Xavi does, the movement etc and he gets way moar passes than rest of the team, meaning hes the center of things. Its a 4-3-3 tactic and Britton gets 70ish passes, rest of the midfielders near 50ish - 40ish. Attackers get 30ish - 40ish and Defenders vary, DC's get 50ish and Full backs get sometimes over 40ish - 50ish...

Ish ish :D But anyway, something Ive always failed to do is the Barca pressing. Never have done it properly, but always Ive managed to somehow emulate it. Can ya share ur tricks of the trade how U do it Raikan? Would be helpful for my Swansea team.

Also I need to improve finishing, could have won Sunderland but lost 1 - 0 in a tight game what I controlled. Also played 2 - 2 draw vs Man City with 61% Possession :)

I've done a season with Swansea just now. Finished 12th in the premier league-1st season. Have quite a bit of trouble getting passes from my midfield but that's not really what I want. I wanted to create more chances with less possession. I've done that fairly well.

But I want to try out possession football in my second season and want to get more passes out of Freddie Bodde, James McCarthy and Tom Cairney. Can you help me with getting that right? I play a 4-5-1. Thanks in advance! :)

I've done a season with Swansea just now. Finished 12th in the premier league-1st season. Have quite a bit of trouble getting passes from my midfield but that's not really what I want. I wanted to create more chances with less possession. I've done that fairly well.

But I want to try out possession football in my second season and want to get more passes out of Freddie Bodde, James McCarthy and Tom Cairney. Can you help me with getting that right? I play a 4-5-1. Thanks in advance! :)

Sure I can help ya. :D

Won Tottenham 2 - 1 btw :D VDV got red card, but so got my ''Xavi'' Leon Britton. 56% Poss to me -> Fail and fail pass amounts too, but scoreline was good :D

nice going Gump :)

pressing and man marking, hard tackling and set wingers and fullbacks to tight marking, Cb to zonal and no tight marking, closing down just under halfway, Cm tight marking, closing down the fullest and the left hand striker/Amc the same, closing down and tight marking, I have left striker upfront alone, just moving into channels and making forward runs every time I have possession, when in close enough range to the ball he will close down, I took a SS last night of exaclty this :) will post it tomorrow, of course there are more tweaks and different settings I have used but cannot remember all of them exactly :) When I have finished with my Manelona tactic I will send it to you to check the PI's etc if you want :)

good possession vs City though :) its tough getting the players to score goals after having big possession though :) when I play full on possession (was trying it, I had 73% see SS below) but not many CCC's or goals...

its not easy getting high amounts for both, well I am not finished yet, this was just made purely for possession :)

195521d1315986685-deathslayer%99-raikan007-barcelona-v-r.-madrid-stats_-match-stats-.png

nice going Gump :)

pressing and man marking, hard tackling and set wingers and fullbacks to tight marking, Cb to zonal and no tight marking, closing down just under halfway, Cm tight marking, closing down the fullest and the left hand striker/Amc the same, closing down and tight marking, I have left striker upfront alone, just moving into channels and making forward runs every time I have possession, when in close enough range to the ball he will close down, I took a SS last night of exaclty this :) will post it tomorrow, of course there are more tweaks and different settings I have used but cannot remember all of them exactly :) When I have finished with my Manelona tactic I will send it to you to check the PI's etc if you want :)

good possession vs City though :) its tough getting the players to score goals after having big possession though :) when I play full on possession (was trying it, I had 73% see SS below) but not many CCC's or goals...

its not easy getting high amounts for both, well I am not finished yet, this was just made purely for possession :)

195521d1315986685-deathslayer%99-raikan007-barcelona-v-r.-madrid-stats_-match-stats-.png

Check G's & M' 2-2-3-2-1 Barca style of play tactic and use it with Barca, Ull see how Possession is turned into goals :p Or at least U should see.

I even had 91% Possession vs Real Madrid when the game clock was at 35 Mins. :D (In the end of the match it was 66%) Take a look from there if U want, mebbey Ull figure something cool out.

no I fully agree it can, it was a 3 phase project I was working on:

1) possession
2) CCC's
3) clean sheets and putting like 6-8 past weaker teams :)

I stopped after the possession as it was quite easy with Barcelona and decided to use a different team to make a new style hence the one I am working on now, it is with Man Utd but it is going to be made so that it will be functional for all teams to play like Manelona :p (Manchester/Barcelona style) shoudl trademark that and you should yours :p

Did ur tweakings, cost me a 2 - 0 defeat vs QPR. :D

Did ur tweakings, cost me a 2 - 0 defeat vs QPR. :D
1) it will take a while for your team to adjust to new marking/closing down settings
2) this is what I sent you just when you PM me for barca pressing advice

hahha, nice mate :) I just replied on your thread :) was busy typing it

it might not work well for a smaller team like Swansea as you need good teamwork, work rate, stamina and positioning/fitness stats for a lot of your players....

I do think that it could and will work but the only thing about it though is if they manage to get the pass away, you have lost 2 people at least on defence, Barca in real life rarely make the mistake of not getting that ball back in like "7 seconds" so it could be detrimental on certain occassions but it does do exactly that..

I beat a very good Everton team 2:0 last night while creating it (2014 from my Deathlsayer save I had, was using the team to test other tactics on holiday and it saves every week)

had only about 56% possession but had 5 CCC's and good pass completion most being around 50 as well but it is nicely evened out just like United's style, 30-55 for each player instead of like 100 for one player and like 30 for the rest etc... :) so as I said, it uses both styles pretty well and hopefully could be a devastating tactic :)

1) it will take a while for your team to adjust to new marking/closing down settings
2) this is what I sent you just when you PM me for barca pressing advice

I know what U sent, checked it already and I know it takes a while to adjust :)

Just played this game without ur tricks of the trade;

View attachment 195939

Yep, Opposition wasnt the hardest but in any case, Leon Britton was the ace in my team, 8.80 Rating and Man of the Match with 1 Goal & 1 Assist. Top of it, hes the only set Playmaker in the squad and almost broke 100 pass - mark :D

Last edited:
well then hopefully it will work out after a while, but stronger teams can really rip you apart though as with one clever pass they can open up the entire field and your players will struggle getting back in time ;)

why not start with just the pressing and man marking/default/hard tackling for the mean time and slowly but surely start incorporating it into your already successful tactic? once you can see a little bit of a difference start asking your Fb's then your Wide players then your Cm's to individually start closing down players in possession until you have perfected it ;)

practice makes perfect, but as I did mention, it can be detrimental for most teams, not just your smaller teams! Barca have yet to make noticalbe mistakes using this approach in lately and when teams can start countering the way how they play (which can be done if the team in possession play just as quickly and just as precise as they do, it will tire the players out quicker)

I know what U sent, checked it already and I know it takes a while to adjust :)

Just played this game without ur tricks of the trade;

View attachment 195939

Yep, Opposition wasnt the hardest but in any case, Leon Britton was the ace in my team, 8.80 Rating and Man of the Match with 1 Goal & 1 Assist. Top of it, hes the only set Playmaker in the squad and almost broke 100 pass - mark :D

That screenshot basicly tells you one of the most annoying things when making a possession football. Your fullbacks and your playmaker will pass it together for ages before really going forward. In FM winger's positioning is so poor that fullbacks have all the time in the world to pick the right pass. I would like to see more passing withing the midfielders, only sometimes passing the ball to wing to stretch the defence.

That screenshot basicly tells you one of the most annoying things when making a possession football. Your fullbacks and your playmaker will pass it together for ages before really going forward. In FM winger's positioning is so poor that fullbacks have all the time in the world to pick the right pass. I would like to see more passing withing the midfielders, only sometimes passing the ball to wing to stretch the defence.

Yup, good observation. I've been fooling around with some possession tactics with three CM and either two AMC or AMR+AML. Despite having everything set up for build-up play through the middle (central CM set up as playmaker, focus passing, touchline shouts etc), my outer CMs always ended up playing one-twos with their respective fullbacks. Even when their playmaker pulled back to receive the ball, these two were sort of 'locked' together, ignoring their teammates everywhere around. Got no clue if this is working as intended or not, but it is rather irritating and annoying. Gets them players some neat pass counts, though.